Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Consumer

• The attractions overall story will touch on some new themes
    • Tiana’s father being a WWI veteran and what’s it like for an African American man to fight for his country back then
    • Tiana’s mom made dresses not only for Charlotte but for other clients in the community which served as an inspiration for Tiana’s entrepreneurship
    • New representation of the other nationalities that make up New Orleans including Philippines, Mexico, Caribbean, nations of Africa and China
Yeah, I don't think Walt Disney Imagineering knows how to make theme park rides anymore.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

New Tiana’s Bayou Adventure details were announced at a recent media event - here are some highlights from the Laughing Place.
  • The attraction will have 17 new characters, all represented by Audio Animatronics. This includes the critter band playing zydeco music.
So I guess this seals the fate of the America Sings animatronics huh.

yensidtlaw1969

Yeah, I don't think Walt Disney Imagineering knows how to make theme park rides anymore.
kitten eye roll GIF by Saturday Night Live

DCBaker

Premium Member
Some highlights from a Q&A with Carmen Smith, Charita Carter & Ted Robledo.

Question: Can you clarify which of the characters we’ve seen will physically be present in the ride? For example, the PJ art or Naveen’s little brother?

Charita:
OK, well … playing back in my mind, everything that you have seen … I believe the answer is everything that you have seen will be manifested in a physical form. So when you saw earlier at the Jazz Museum, you saw the baby little brother Ralphie, he will be physically there with a physical drum set that was inspired by the drum set that we saw. The possum that you see in PJ's painting, she will be there. They all have names that I think we're going to be revealing, but yes, we have – I think Ted mentioned we have 17 new characters, and all of those characters will be represented as Audio Animatronics.

And then of course, what we call our hero characters, the main characters Tiana and Naveen, and of course, Louis, will all be physical animatronics. Does that answer your question? And, of course, Mama Odie. How can you forget Mama Odie?

Question: I have a quick two-parter question. Imagineering has a long history of sort of recycling some old things or reusing things, adding Easter eggs to attractions. And since Mark Davis built that incredible America Sings attraction that Tony Baxter then moved those animatronics over to Splash Mountain, do you all have any of the characters that we might see again in a different way or any other little Easter eggs to Splash Mountain?

Carmen:
I say, you know, surprise. I say we don't want to, we want you … I think the ride is also a discovery, and I think when you find Easter Eggs it's like “Wow” and I don't think we want to give that away just yet.

Question: You're killing me. The other half of that is you've extended the storyline at Disneyland with Tiana's Palace restaurant and Eudora’s Chic Boutique shop. Will Walt Disney World get a similar treatment?

Carmen:
I will say, can't say. Stay tuned.

Question: Is the attraction going to be tied at all to the Disney+ series?

Charita:
Well, I think what we can say is just like we've been working with Walt Disney Animation Studio on the attraction itself, we have had a number of sessions with the Disney+ team, so it's very important to understand and have continuity along those lines. And I think that's really all I can say about that. But we are a very collaborating organization.

Carmen: This is something that you'll find out more about probably in 2024, but when I think about Tiana, someone asked a question about outfits, and I also work for Consumer Products, Games and Publishing, and I think about how we're going to express her story, her clothing in so many different ways. If you go to ESSENCE Fest coming up, you'll probably get a sneak preview of some things that we're thinking about. But again, we want people of every age and every walk of life to enjoy Tiana in some way, and we’re going to have that for you.

Full Q&A below.

CaptinEO

• Tiana’s father being a WWI veteran and what’s it like for an African American man to fight for his country back then
    • Tiana’s mom made dresses not only for Charlotte but for other clients in the community which served as an inspiration for Tiana’s entrepreneurship
    • New representation of the other nationalities that make up New Orleans including Philippines, Mexico, Caribbean, nations of Africa and China
Did someone forget this is a fast moving log ride? Please tell me these educational lessons are restricted to the queue. Is the actual ride gonna have Tiana's dad fighting in World War 1?

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

On the bright side, maybe this means 17 new figures in addition to the OG figures? I’m not sure though, it definitely doesn’t sound good. If they get rid of the america sings figures, at least bring them back to Tomorrowland where their theater sits empty!
I'm really hoping they'll get redressed since PatF has antropomorphic animals, though not to the same degree as AS or SotS.

Disstevefan1

New Tiana’s Bayou Adventure details were announced at a recent media event - here are some highlights from the Laughing Place.
  • The ride itself will be the same length as Splash Mountain — approximately 9 minutes at Disneyland and approximately 10 minutes at the Magic Kingdom
  • There will be original animation created by Walt Disney Animation Studios that will be used on screens within the attraction.
  • Songwriter and producer PJ Morton, a native of New Orleans, is creating an original song that will be heard in Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. He is also doing new arrangements of the classic songs within the attraction.
  • Jazz trumpeter Terence Blanchard, also a native of New Orleans, who can be heard playing all of Louis’ trumpet parts in the The Princess and the Frog. He is working to select songs from the film as well as iconic themes from New Orleans for use in the queue.
  • The flora, the wildlife, the sounds are all authentic to New Orleans and of the period. The Imagineers made a point of validating their creative decisions via visits to New Orleans and the bayou and research at The Historic New Orleans Collection.
  • There will be a radio show playing in the queue that talks about the celebration we’re about to visit and informs us that Tiana needs assistance. The radio playing it is based on c. 1930 Avrin radio and record player combination
  • Naveen’s little brother Ralphie will be a part of the attraction as an Audio Animatronic playing the drums. The drum set he uses is based on a children’s set that includes a c. 1900 Chinese tom tom and a c. 1920 Zildjian and Chinese cymbals. The actual set is in the office of the New Orleans Jazz Museum director Greg Lambousy.
  • The attraction will have 17 new characters, all represented by Audio Animatronics. This includes the critter band playing zydeco music.
  • Tiana will have more new costumes and hairstyles beyond the Adventure Tiana we’ve seen
  • Prince Naveen will play humorous role in the story
  • Look for a sneak peek of new consumer products at the next ESSENCE Fest, which runs from June 29th through July 3rd, 2023
  • While the attraction won’t necessarily be tied to the Disney+ series, they are working with Disney+ for continuity
  • A chair designed by current and former YAYA students for Imagineering will be put into Disneyland’s Eudora’s Chic Boutique. YAYA is a place we visited where people aged 13 to 25 can learn to become artists. While there, each student paints a chair that is sold and the student shares in the profits.
Full article below.
"The attraction will have 17 new characters, all represented by Audio Animatronics."
A fraction of what we had but more than I expected, so that's good.

"New representation of the other nationalities that make up New Orleans including Philippines, Mexico, Caribbean, nations of Africa and China"
Good, gives me that Small World vibe.

zipadee999

I'm really hoping they'll get redressed since PatF has antropomorphic animals, though not to the same degree as AS or SotS.
Yeah, most of the animals in PatF have realistic designs even if they’re anthropomorphic. Look that the frogs in that movie, they’re the size of golf balls! Not sure how well that could translate into Splash unfortunately. I just hope they don’t trash those figures and at least treat them with the respect of archive or relocation.

On a side note, I’m a little concerned because I heard from staff at the WDW version that they were ‘shredding costumes.’ I’m not sure if they meant the employee uniforms or the skins on the animatronics themselves, but it’s disheartening to hear such a lack of respect for such an all time great!

mickEblu

"The attraction will have 17 new characters, all represented by Audio Animatronics."
A fraction of what we had but more than I expected, so that's good.

"New representation of the other nationalities that make up New Orleans including Philippines, Mexico, Caribbean, nations of Africa and China"
Good, gives me that Small World vibe.

They keep hyping up those 17 critters that are all pretty much in one scene. Meaning the rest of the AAs are humans and a few Louis AAs?

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Focus Group Mountain. Well, it’s official, my favorite ride became the poster child for a ride created by the inclusion committee. Are the imagineers even involved with this project?
I'd love to know what Tony Baxter's thoughts on the attraction are. He's not mentioned anywhere in the articles apart from a past-tense mention in the question regarding Easter eggs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom