Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Let’s see: We’re going from a successful ride based on a film few have seen and even fewer have actually enjoyed…

To a ride based on a much more familiar property. I’m not saying that in itself guarantees a great retheme, but you brought up this comparison, so let’s be fair:

The film Princess and the Frog has become a much-loved animated classic among the under-30 crowd and is generally very well-liked by most viewers of any age. It’s a terrific, fun movie with beautiful animation, appealing characters and catchy songs.

Splash had to change. PatF is a pretty good match for a southern-U.S. based musical water ride.

I dislike the silly and unnecessary food-co-op backstory, and think the idea of a huge money-sucking entertainment corporation trying to present ANY kind of anti-capitalist theme is laughable beyond belief, but… at the end of the day…

It’s a thrilling log flume ride at one of the most popular places on Earth. The rethemed ride is going to continue being hugely popular, whether or not die-hard park fans think it “works.” It could be based on Sharknado and it would still be a smash hit. Fortunately, they went with a more pleasant cast of characters. The fate of the Disney+ Tiana show will most likely have no perceivable effect on the ride’s inevitable huge popularity. Most guests riding Splash 1.0 couldn’t even name the ride’s singing bunny if their lives depended on it.
I didn’t have the energy to respond. But…yes, this.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I had similar thoughts today…. Unless they tear out the sets and expose the ceilings and walls it will still be an immersive attraction.

I still think they over-thought this whole thing… swap out the rabbit, fox, and bear and add in a trumpet playing gator, some frogs and a firefly and change the soundtrack and you’re done.
That firefly is dead. So is Dr. Facilier. And those two being absent are among the reasons why I just don't have faith in it.

Rich T

Data source?
My personal experience with a huge, wonderful family (and extended family) who have excellent taste, my job at the time, and a tendency to read everything in the trades related to animation.

If that’s not enough for you, just ask someone in your circle who was a kid when the film hit home video. Sometimes all you need to do to check the weather is step outdoors.

Rich T

Just looking for any actual data to support this claim. Define classic and support it with some measurable data.

The film’s box office and subsequent home video sales and rentals would indicate a mediocre film with average fan base at best.

I realize Disney has continued to push it relentlessly for the obvious reasons, but have not seen this cultural impact or following you are imagining.
Have you SEEN it? It’s a very fun, entertaining film.

In the Parks
No
I was 12 years old when it came out. As I sat in the theater, I thought I was watching the next Lion King. I really liked it. But it hasn't stuck with me (as a favorite), and it certainly wasn't something my peers (at the time or in high school shortly thereafter) continued to talk about. It didn't have cultural staying power, at least not in my experience. People were much more into Tangled and Frozen, and PatF was never talked about. I still like the movie, but it's not a classic. I understand the ulterior motives for calling it that, but it really isn't.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

So is Ursula, Gaston, Wicked Witch, and others.
And that still didn't stop Disney from incorporating them in their respective attractions.
I like aspects of it like the setting, the villain, and Mama Odie but I can't say I'm a fan of Tiana, Naveen, or any other silly princess-y components. It's not something for me and I respect that.

Rich T

I was 12 years old when it came out. As I sat in the theater, I thought I was watching the next Lion King. I really liked it. But it hasn't stuck with me (as a favorite), and it certainly wasn't something my peers (at the time or in high school shortly thereafter) continued to talk about. It didn't have cultural staying power, at least not in my experience. People were much more into Tangled and Frozen, and PatF was never talked about. I still like the movie, but it's not a classic. I understand the ulterior motives for calling it that, but it really isn't.
Fair enough. I think it will be eventually earn that status. Its only real problem is that the unnecessarily complicated plot gets in the way of making the story easy to remember. Still a delightful movie, though.

Rich T

Is anybody here besides me old enough to remember the negative fan reactions to Disney’s decision to build the original Splash Mountain?

1) It’s just a log ride! And it looks a lot like the one at Knott’s!
2) A ride based on animated cartoon characters outside of Fantasyland??? What are they thinking?
3) This ruins the ambience of the Haunted Mansion exit area!
4) Song of the South? Really? But… um… that movie is… y’know…kinda…
5) This will ruin my rope drop routine!
6) They’re tearing out Rufus’s cave??????!
7) CRITTER Country???? They’re making Bear Country more cartoony??? This is awful!!!

And so on. Then the ride opened and everyone stopped complaining. But that point 4 concern… for some of us that was always there, waiting in the background.

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

PatF is a fun movie with good (but not great) music and a generally likable cast. The storyline packs a punch without overkill. That's something missing from Disney's newer movies. The villain is great, but Mama Odie is one of the creepiest good guys I've ever seen in a Disney film. Should be an interesting ride.

PiratesMansion

Its been taking them 5 years to build a Moana water play area over concrete in Epcot. No way can they gut and redo Splash in a year and a half.
They can if they want to.

They've deliberately chosen to be super slow on many newer attractions, particularly in Florida, so that they could spread out the CapEx as long as possible to keep the bean counters happy (Covid was also a factor, to a limited extent). But there's no real reason to do it that way otherwise, as every other theme park company, and Disney themselves until sometime under Iger/Chapek leadership, has repeatedly demonstrated.

They're going to want to get this one open ASAP because it's so high profile, and they've already announced a tentative date range. All it takes is willpower, and it looks like Disney is determined to get it done. Additionally, there isn't as much to do because much of Splash's existing infrastructure will be reutilized. Because of that, I anticipate that it will roughly meet its late 2024 deadline.

I'm happy that it looks like the closing day for the most part went smoothly and that if people were being a little "extra," it was extra in a fun and excited way, and not really in a way that detracted from others' experiences, save a few inevitable over the top vloggers. Seemed like most people had a fun day and got to say their last goodbyes without some of the histrionics from the WDW last day, which is for the best.

TrainsOfDisney

Seemed like most people had a fun day and got to say their last goodbyes without some of the histrionics from the WDW last day, which is for the best.
Yes! I had a wonderful last 2 rides and was happy for that. Nobody vlogging in front of me, nobody shouting out the lines in show scenes - just screaming when we got wet, clapping to the music and having a great time.

D.Silentu

The film Princess and the Frog has become a much-loved animated classic among the under-30 crowd and is generally very well-liked by most viewers of any age. It’s a terrific, fun movie with beautiful animation, appealing characters and catchy songs.
I admit that I am also fond of the idea that Disney's final hand drawn animated feature is getting a tribute.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom