Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

TP2000

THANK YOU. What about the closing CMs?? They still have to cycle through the already super long queue. They still have to complete the closing procedure after cycling everyone through.

Folks had three whole years to get their last rides in. If they haven’t done so by now, oh well.

Do they stop getting paid at 11:20pm? Or maybe, just maybe, their managers knew the last day would be wild and so they scheduled plenty of CM's to help close the ride and don't mind paying a bit of overtime until 1am or later?

For decades in the 20th century, Disneyland was routinely open until 1am on summer nights and holiday periods. The lines for rides would be cut at 1am. And on New Year's Eve they close at 2am. The CM's working tonight will get paid for their full shifts, regardless of if they're off at 11:45pm tonight closing Mr. Toad or if they're not off until 1:30am closing Splash Mountain.

I'm sure TDA's payroll department can cover the overtime pay without bouncing checks.

TP2000

The Cast Members have homes they need to get to, sleep they need to have, they don’t exist for your every need.

No, not at all. But if their manager scheduled them to work until 2am on the last night of Splash Mountain because they are a low seniority CM that is needed for a once every 30 years event, then so be it. They'll get paid for their full shifts.

Judging by all the extra CM's I've seen on the live stream that they have staffed in Critter Country tonight to handle the queue, the average age of those CM's is about 19 or 20 years old. I don't think they'll even be bothered by not making last call at an Anaheim bar tonight due to their 2am off time, because they aren't old enough to drink. :(

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Do they stop getting paid at 11:20pm? Or maybe, just maybe, their managers knew the last day would be wild and so they scheduled plenty of CM's to help close the ride and don't mind paying a bit of overtime until 1am or later?

For decades in the 20th century, Disneyland was routinely open until 1am on summer nights and holiday periods. The lines for rides would be cut at 1am. And on New Year's Eve they close at 2am. The CM's working tonight will get paid for their full shifts, regardless of if they're off at 11:45pm tonight closing Mr. Toad or if they're not off until 1:30am closing Splash Mountain.

I'm sure TDA's payroll department can cover the overtime pay without bouncing checks.
Maybe the guests should have gotten in line a long time ago. They had all day, plus nearly three years. If they missed it, they can blame themselves.

There are very strict rules regarding number of hours worked and breaks. Should hours meet or exceed a certain number of hours, management must give CMs breaks and potentially do other things to meet standards. If you’re even a minute past your fifth hour for lunch without having clocked out, they’re on your @$$.

TDA likely has no desire to pay that much overtime. Now that the line is closed, the closing CMs will likely leave on time. Had they kept it open until 11, wouldn’t have happened.

TP2000

Just a nitpick: The guests in line won't be the last. The CMs operating SM will get the last journeys.

As they should, and as they've done for decades. I'm sure there were final CM rides on everything from Midget Autopia in 1959 to Flying Saucers in 1966 to CircleVision in 1997.

And I'm sure there will be final CM rides tonight after 1am. It's probably going to be a party!

Kirby86

Such as... Rocket Rods?

I didn't read the article but I wouldn't blame Splash Mountain for the move toward IP. It was bound to happen regardless.
Extra Terrorstrial, Expedtion Everest, Tokyos Tower of Terror to name a few. They did start to lean heavier into IPs but Splash Mountain wan't what killed non IP rides or creativity as that paragraph in the article insinuates.
Also agreed the move to recognizable IP was a given. However the park always had that since opening day. Heck Sleeping Beauty's castle was Sleeping Beauty's castle because that's the movie that was in production at the time.

TP2000

TDA likely has no desire to pay that much overtime. Now that the line is closed, the closing CMs will likely leave on time. Had they kept it open until 11, wouldn’t have happened.

Thank God that this national nightmare has been averted, and OT will be limited to 60 minutes or less!

In other news, I've broken and unmuted the live stream. I'm now Googling new vocabulary and phrases like "Mad Props" and "Super Sick".

Figments Friend

Okay gang, I popped the champagne! The party has begun.

I'm toasting Brer Rabbit, I'm toasting all the CM's over the decades who dealt with children who are 39 inches tall and Karens who became furious that they got wet on a log ride called 'Splash Mountain', I'm toasting Tony Baxter and Marc Davis who gifted us this great attraction, and I'm toasting @Figments Friend as the President of Mr. Baxter's fan club, I'm toasting the vloggers named "Becky and Eli" who I am watching stand in line through the miracle of 100 inch Color TV Internet and I can't wait to see their ride-thru in an hour or so, and I'm toasting all of us here who are celebrating this momentous occasion!

That's a lot of toasts. I have to get busy. And I should have had more carbs for dinner. :cool:

Thank you fine sir, as I tip my glass to you as well.

With the standby line now officially closed, it is the end of an era.
When I wake up tomorrow, and come back here to catch up on all the ‘last ride’ videos and pictures…I will be crying I am sure.
This has been a emotional day.

Love this Attraction.
It had a great run, and now it is over.

Cheers to all involved in bringing this glorious creation to life.

🍷

-

Last edited:

TP2000

They're Golden Oak residents rumored to be Club 33 both coasts. There's probably a few who fit into that category there who aren't well known by the public

On the live stream I was watching a half hour ago, two Plaid Vest CM's rushed through the exit trying their best to look very important as they led a gaggle of random people. But each group of people behind each Plaid Vest was headed by a very tall young man who looked like they play basketball, or maybe just have a glandular problem. Then a smaller gaggle of hangers-on and regular humans shuffled in behind them trying to look important. It was a bit cringey.

I assume those are the two NBA gentlemen and their various hangers-on?

el_super

Extra Terrorstrial, Expedtion Everest, Tokyos Tower of Terror to name a few.

Oh yeah... I was mostly thinking of Disneyland and coming up blank. Maybe Soarin of you want to count DCA... The non IP rides are great but they don't seem to hit the same way with the public.

el_super

They used to. When star tours opened they kept the line open 24 hours!!!

It’s a grad night tonight so plenty of CM’s will be around for a while :)

The parks don't really stay open late for Grad Night anymore.

I don't know what their plans are for tonight, but if you figure that the line is still 4 hours long (standby+DAS+lightning lane), the last guests won't be clear of the ride until 2AM and the park until 2:30-3AM. They won't bring the vehicles out to start setting up the walls and clearing for construction until after the guests have cleared the park and they might be under a time crunch to get it done by opening tomorrow.

Figgy1

Premium Member
On the live stream I was watching a half hour ago, two Plaid Vest CM's rushed through the exit trying their best to look very important as they led a gaggle of random people. But each group of people behind each Plaid Vest was headed by a very tall young man who looked like they play basketball, or maybe just have a glandular problem. Then a smaller gaggle of hangers-on and regular humans shuffled in behind them trying to look important. It was a bit cringey.

I assume those are the two NBA gentlemen and their various hangers-on?
I have no clue as I didn't see that. All I know is they talk about how wonderful Disney is anytime they're asked about it so they give Disney lots of maybe free publicity. I have no clue if they're now on the payroll but they're true pixie dusters going way back or as far back as somebody their age can go
That said there are probably a lot of rich and not so famous there tonight

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom