Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Brer Panther

And they are freaking everywhere in the Disneyland version. Especially that first showroom after the first drop, it's like there are dozens of singing geese all around you, singin' and struttin' and singin'. About something. How do you do?
That IS one thing that I'll say the Disneyland version has over the Magic Kingdom's - more animatronics.

PiratesMansion

Got the following message from Disney Customer Service in my email about my disappointment with Splash Mountain Changes. My favorite part is how they quote Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter, both who have had their attractions ruined in recent years:

Thank you for your message regarding our operations at the Disneyland Resort as a dedicated Guest to our theme parks.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us about the recently announced changes to our Splash Mountain attraction. We would like to assure you that our goals for providing a happy and unique experience in our theme parks have remained constant throughout the years. One of the ways in which we attempt to maintain this goal is to continually evaluate the various aspects of our parks and make changes at times.

The theme for Splash Mountain has been a conversation among Imagineers for a while, and last summer, our Disney Imagineers landed on a concept that felt right – a new story inspired by The Princess and the Frog. While efforts were clearly under way, we decided the time to act was now. Particularly important today, the new concept is inclusive – one that all of our guests can connect with and be inspired by, and it speaks to the diversity of the millions of people who visit our parks each year.

Walt Disney embraced and encouraged change at the park and spoke about the need to “keep moving forward” down new paths, always with an eye toward enhancing and improving the guest experience. Keeping our stories relevant and providing more reasons to return is done in this same spirit – a philosophy embraced by Imagineers through the years, including Disney Legends Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter.

As diverse as the millions of visitors are who come to the Disneyland Resort each year, so are the reactions and opinions of our Guests, and it is always our goal to provide a show that appeals to all who visit. Please be assured that your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to write. We hope that you will continue to follow the developments of the Disneyland Resort.

Marty Sklar was publicity/design/head of operations. To my understanding, he supervised things at a high level but was never, say, an attraction lead. Thus, he didn't really have any attractions that were "his" perse.

Brer Panther

Got the following message from Disney Customer Service in my email about my disappointment with Splash Mountain Changes. My favorite part is how they quote Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter, both who have had their attractions ruined in recent years:

Thank you for your message regarding our operations at the Disneyland Resort as a dedicated Guest to our theme parks.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us about the recently announced changes to our Splash Mountain attraction. We would like to assure you that our goals for providing a happy and unique experience in our theme parks have remained constant throughout the years. One of the ways in which we attempt to maintain this goal is to continually evaluate the various aspects of our parks and make changes at times.

The theme for Splash Mountain has been a conversation among Imagineers for a while, and last summer, our Disney Imagineers landed on a concept that felt right – a new story inspired by The Princess and the Frog. While efforts were clearly under way, we decided the time to act was now. Particularly important today, the new concept is inclusive – one that all of our guests can connect with and be inspired by, and it speaks to the diversity of the millions of people who visit our parks each year.

Walt Disney embraced and encouraged change at the park and spoke about the need to “keep moving forward” down new paths, always with an eye toward enhancing and improving the guest experience. Keeping our stories relevant and providing more reasons to return is done in this same spirit – a philosophy embraced by Imagineers through the years, including Disney Legends Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter.

As diverse as the millions of visitors are who come to the Disneyland Resort each year, so are the reactions and opinions of our Guests, and it is always our goal to provide a show that appeals to all who visit. Please be assured that your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to write. We hope that you will continue to follow the developments of the Disneyland Resort.
Isn't that the exact same reply that most of the other users on this site who emailed to complain about the Splash Mountain retheme got as a response?

SplashGhost

It seems their form letters always point out how "inclusive" the overlay will be, and they try to justify it using quotes from either Walt or respected Imagineers. The whole "inclusive" thing is a buzz word so Disney can try to act woke.

I haven't bothered sending an email since I'm sure that I will get the same form letter they are sending everyone else. Plus, the people that get the emails aren't the people with any control over the actual decision.

I have been thinking, and I wonder if one of the reasons that Chapek went for this overlay is to save money on maintenance. This overlay is sure to have far less audio animatronics and practical effects than Splash Mountain currently has, and it is far cheaper to maintain screens than it is to maintain AAs.

It is so sad that not only is Disney no longer building attractions filled with great AAs, they are also removing the ones they do have.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
It seems their form letters always point out how "inclusive" the overlay will be, and they try to justify it using quotes from either Walt or respected Imagineers. The whole "inclusive" thing is a buzz word so Disney can try to act woke.

I haven't bothered sending an email since I'm sure that I will get the same form letter they are sending everyone else. Plus, the people that get the emails aren't the people with any control over the actual decision.

I have been thinking, and I wonder if one of the reasons that Chapek went for this overlay is to save money on maintenance. This overlay is sure to have far less audio animatronics and practical effects than Splash Mountain currently has, and it is far cheaper to maintain screens than it is to maintain AAs.

It is so sad that not only is Disney no longer building attractions filled with great AAs, they are also removing the ones they do have.
You bring up a good point, this could totally be a good excuse for them to save money on maintenance. Would also explain why Tokyo is OK leaving Splash as is, as they don't mind maintaining their rides.

Even look at Indy which had a cool effect completely taken out of the ride to cut expenses (rotating entry doors).

I wonder if this will continue to be the trend.

Unfortunately, i'd be willing to bet it will be. Towers effects were removed and replaced with screens - save for the talking racoon. Incredicoaster uses plastic props and jack jacks on a stick. Hyperspace mountain was all projections and some music changes.

Disney world maintenance on the other hand is an absolute joke. At least TDA usually does a decent job fixing up stuff - the stuff they haven't already ruined with IP advertisement.

SplashGhost

You bring up a good point, this could totally be a good excuse for them to save money on maintenance. Would also explain why Tokyo is OK leaving Splash as is, as they don't mind maintaining their rides.

Even look at Indy which had a cool effect completely taken out of the ride to cut expenses (rotating entry doors).

I wonder if this will continue to be the trend.

The only new ride that seems like it would be maintenance heavy would be Rise of the Resistance, and that is just because it is different ride systems put together that all have to work at the same time. No single part of the ride is that complicated.

I'm surprised we even get things like the Rocket Raccoon AA in Guardians anymore. There is a B mode show that is screen only for when the AA isn't working. I can imagine future budget cuts causing that version to become the regular preshow, but hopefully that doesn't happen.

TDA still has major maintenance issues. The actual coaster for the Incredicoaster is much newer than many of the coasters at Magic Mountain, yet it is somehow more rough than most of them despite it being a far less intense ride than some of their older stuff like Viper.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member

If you had the "Walt Quote about change" square open, mark a bingo

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

This is just the general plug and play response email others have gotten. word for word. the same email.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom