Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

PiratesMansion

Basil nailed it!

WDW and Tokyo have always had better Splash Mountains. If someone who has been on at least both US versions wants to argue otherwise, they're welcome to do so. I maintain a POV is not the same thing as experiencing something in person, one of the hills I will die on. One of the other hills I will die on is my belief that for all of the things DL does/did that was definitively superior to other parks, Splash was NOT one of them.

mickEblu

Basil nailed it!

WDW and Tokyo have always had better Splash Mountains. If someone who has been on at least both US versions wants to argue otherwise, they're welcome to do so. I maintain a POV is not the same thing as experiencing something in person, one of the hills I will die on. One of the other hills I will die on is my belief that for all of the things DL does/did that was definitively superior to other parks, Splash was NOT one of them.

So if I go to WDW and ride it and come out with the same opinion does that mean it was a self fulfilling prophecy or that I know myself?

mickEblu

Since it's late at night and I'm bored I'll argue the case for the non-DL rides:

- The attraction is much slower in general, in DL you FLY through the scenes so fast it's easy to have no clue what's happening in the show scenes.
- An attempt was made in WDW and Tokyo to have B'rer Frog act as a narrator (basically acting as Uncle Remus) whether this was achieved or not is up for debate since he's hard to understand and you don't really see him beyond the first lift hill but it's an attempt regardless.
- IMO, the show scenes in WDW just look way better. Part of it is poor maintenence on DL's part, but a bigger part of it is it just looks like the WDW/Tokyo versions had a way bigger budget as well as more settled character designs (idk why they made B'rer Rabbit grey though). They really nailed the backgrounds in WDW with the sky background or projection or whatever that is. The inside of DL's mountain looks super dark and blurry while in WDW/Tokyo it's really bright and looks like a natural environment for the SotS characters. Some people would argue that the inside of a mountain is supposed to look dark which I guess I can understand but imo the scenes just look way better in the other attractions.
- WDW/Tokyo also has the million dollar bunny if you think that matters. I know most people just consider it a joke at this point.
- The music is a preference thing. Personally I think Splash fits fine in Fronteirland, better than Critter Country actually, but whatever. Burrow's Lament is definitely a plus though, it's kinda weird how they never replicated that scene at other attractions.

Tokyo has the best pacing of any of the attractions though. Tokyo's Splash is timed really well and most of the AA's actually wait for the log to pull up before they start giving their lines unlike DL and WDW where they're just endlessly spieling on a loop.

Appreciate the breakdown. I guess I disagree with a lot of what the majority see as better.

The Brer Frog narrator is one thing that doesn’t really come across on the POV or maybe it’s just not done well?

The scenes look better but I don’t need to be spoon fed the story. I prefer attractions without linear stories anyway. Also even though the scenes look better I like how Disneyland’s feel if that makes sense. I like that at DL it feels like an E ticket fantasyland dark ride. And yes I like that it appears that you are really inside a mountain as opposed to WDW where you splash into a Mountain but are clearly outside again with blue skies. The DL version lets you kind of figure it out.

Aesthetically I’m not a fan of the red rocks.

As I said in my last post the ride layout and music work in perfect unison at DL. The physical motion of the logs aka drops cue the laughing place instrumental with the bees and so on. I find the WDW version to go way downhill after the How Do you do sequence due to the lack of proper transitions.

I prefer the music at DL ten fold. It’s not even close for me and I have gone on record saying that Disneyland for me is first and foremost an auditory experience.

Love the pace of the logs at DL. I feel that it adds repeatability value due to its physical nature and the fact that you can spot new things every time because of it. What’s the story really other than the fact Brer Fox Wants to catch Brer Rabbit with the help of his dumb pal Brer Bear? What of this is getting lost at DL? The songs are really filling in the rest.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

So if I go to WDW and ride it and come out with the same opinion does that mean it was a self fulfilling prophecy or that I know myself?

Probably a self-fulfilling prophecy more than anything else.

WDW's is definitely styled a different way to fit into Frontierland, but how would you rate Tokyo's aesthetics? Just curious.

1594661740892.png

1594661929226.png

mickEblu

Probably a self-fulfilling prophecy more than anything else.

WDW's is definitely styled a different way to fit into Frontierland, but how would you rate Tokyo's aesthetics? Just curious.

View attachment 483466
View attachment 483469

Disagree on the self fulfilling prophecy but I’m glad you know me more than me. Lol. What am I feeling like eating for lunch today?

Is the fact that I like the music more at DL also a self fulfilling prophecy or can I not make that assumption based off a POV too?

I like Tokyo’s. That looks pretty nice. More green and the red isn’t coming through in the pic at least. Love the ROA in the foreground too.

mickEblu

When it comes to PatF the silver lining for me is that the flume layout/ pace at DL will most likely be staying the same. As well as the fact that the outdoor portions of the attraction should more or less stay the same. You will still feel the same sensation of the drops and drop down through a Splash tunnel into the ROA at DL.

No Name

Gotta love how everyone assumes that a guy who died over 50 years ago, a guy who you never knew personally, would side with your view of decisions. He’s completely irrelevant. The Walt you know is not a person and never was a person but is a marketing character that was largely shaped by Michael Eisner and Co. to be a bastion of everything good and holy in this world. The real Walt would probably want people to stop speaking for him.

mickEblu

Gotta love how everyone assumes that a guy who died over 50 years ago, a guy who you never knew personally, would side with your view of decisions. He’s completely irrelevant. The Walt you know is not a person and never was a person but is a marketing character that was largely shaped by Michael Eisner and Co. to be a bastion of everything good and holy in this world. The real Walt would probably want people to stop speaking for him.

Did you post this in the right thread ?

No Name

Yeah I mean I don’t really have a dog in this current fight. I’d rather one stay than none. But it seems to be so unanimous that WDWs is better and I’m over here kind of scratching my head on why.
You’ve never been on the WDW version so that would obviously make it hard to understand.
Did you post this in the right thread ?
Yes but I was still reading a few pages back.

mickEblu

I just don't see how you can disagree. Of course you’ll likely prefer the one you’ve actually ridden over the years vs. the one you’ve only watched on YouTube.

It’s easy. Splash Mountain in WDW isn’t a media based ride and I’ve been on the original a bunch of times. I know that I personally would prefer the pace of Disneyland and I know that I prefer the music at Disneyland. Why is that so hard to understand? I can see with my eyes that the How do you do Sequence is a little more thorough and lays out the story better in Florida but I know I prefer the dark ride approach more. I also see that after the How do you do sequence in WDW, it kind of falls apart with awkward transitions with no emotional punch. Why don’t you tell me why it is impossible to gather this from a POV when I know my personal tastes and have been on the original countless times?

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
Watched a ride through of WDWs Splash and a couple things stood out to me. Is it just the 1 (or maybe 2) extra scenes with Brer Fox and Bear lurking behind Brer Rabbit that really make the story that much greater for everyone?
The fact that you can see Brer Rabbit being watched by Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear before the rope trap sets up that gag alot better. Also that Br'er Fox says "I'm gonna catch that Br'er Rabbit this time for sure" With Br'er Bear stupidly chuckling proves they're working together to catch Brer Rabbit. To anyone who doesn't know the story, DL's version looks like: Br'er Rabbit just has something against Br'er Bear. Br'er Bear and Fox are only seen twice together in Disneyland, as opposed to the 4-5 @ World.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Ok we can’t make any “assumptions“ or use common sense. Mods please put a sticky note on this and let’s just end all discussions because ultimately everything is subjective and we know nothing.

So if everything is subjective then it doesn’t even matter that I wasn’t there right? Even if I would have been there my opinion that Matterhorn was a good substitution for Holiday Hill is still subjective.

No offense @raven24 but I feel when people pull the “everything is subjective” card it’s basically like waving the white flag. Is it my subjective opinion if I say the Holocaust was bad? After all I wasn’t there.

I have taken no offense.

I’m not sure why you’re responding in the manner that you are. No one said anything about ending discussion. We’re still able to have discussion.

You made claims that were subjective. That’s all. It’s easy to say we’ve got the short end of the stick in comparison. I can bet there were many fans who weren’t pleased with the changes made to Disneyland decades ago and claimed that the earlier versions of Disneyland were better. Still subjective.

mickEblu

I have taken no offense.

I’m not sure why you’re responding in the manner that you are. No one said anything about ending discussion. We’re still able to have discussion.

You made claims that were subjective. That’s all. It’s easy to say we’ve got the short end of the stick in comparison. I can bet there were many fans who weren’t pleased with the changes made to Disneyland decades ago and claimed that the earlier versions of Disneyland were better. Still subjective.

I disagree

But I’m not angry typing and didn’t use any CAPS or exclamation points. Perhaps my words are coming off harsher than I intended? Lol

PiratesMansion

Disagree on the self fulfilling prophecy but I’m glad you know me more than me. Lol. What am I feeling like eating for lunch today?

Is the fact that I like the music more at DL also a self fulfilling prophecy or can I not make that assumption based off a POV too?

I like Tokyo’s. That looks pretty nice. More green and the red isn’t coming through in the pic at least. Love the ROA in the foreground too.

If you're like me you're probably going to settle on a nice sandwich! :)

I hope it's not coming across as though I am trying to say your opinion isn't valid, simply that it is one based on incomplete information because you have not experienced the WDW ride in person. All POVs, even the best ones, are simply impressions or records of someone else's experience. In person, you register new details and elements of the experience that simply aren't perceptible on video. A person could watch a POV of POTC, for example, and have no idea what the ride smells like, and how that becomes part of the experience too. The Blue Bayou portion might come across as filler on video but be genuinely transporting when experienced in the flesh. Looking at USH from Google Maps will show you that there are elevation changes, but you probably won't understand the degree to which they actually exist until you visit in person, or be able to tell that you get that incredible view after the first escalator down to the lower lot. And so on.

There's nothing wrong with believing DL's is superior, but I'm always going to give more credit to a person who says that and has experienced both in person. WDW's being better, whether it is something you do or do not agree with, does not invalidate your attachment to DL's Splash or its existence as a great ride in its own right. I'm more attached to the MK versions of HM & Splash, but that doesn't mean I find the DL versions have no value, though I'm sure at times it can come off that way.

Look out!!! The Hot Takes are flyyyyying through this thread!!!!

giphy.gif

Is that Mark from Home Improvement?
I disagree

But I’m not angry typing and didn’t use any CAPS or exclamation points. Perhaps my words are coming off harsher than I intended? Lol

Sometimes it does come off harsher than it is perhaps intended.

Mac Tonight

If you're like me you're probably going to settle on a nice sandwich! :)

I hope it's not coming across as though I am trying to say your opinion isn't valid, simply that it is one based on incomplete information because you have not experienced the WDW ride in person. All POVs, even the best ones, are simply impressions or records of someone else's experience. In person, you register new details and elements of the experience that simply aren't perceptible on video. A person could watch a POV of POTC, for example, and have no idea what the ride smells like, and how that becomes part of the experience too. The Blue Bayou portion might come across as filler on video but be genuinely transporting when experienced in the flesh. Looking at USH from Google Maps will show you that there are elevation changes, but you probably won't understand the degree to which they actually exist until you visit in person, or be able to tell that you get that incredible view after the first escalator down to the lower lot. And so on.

There's nothing wrong with believing DL's is superior, but I'm always going to give more credit to a person who says that and has experienced both in person. WDW's being better, whether it is something you do or do not agree with, does not invalidate your attachment to DL's Splash or its existence as a great ride in its own right. I'm more attached to the MK versions of HM & Splash, but that doesn't mean I find the DL versions have no value, though I'm sure at times it can come off that way.

Is that Mark from Home Improvement?

Sometimes it does come off harsher than it is perhaps intended.
lol. Looks like him, but no it's not. Just an obscure actor from the classic after-school program 90's VHS era.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom