Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

PiratesMansion

I did find a thread in the WDW section from an insider (or "insider" as the case may be; people go back and forth on this particular poster a lot). I do not recall if this was mentioned, so apologies if it is redundant in the context of this thread. Said insider claims:
-DL's WILL happen, in part because they're committed and thus have to do SOMETHING, they imagine it has a better chance of being well-received, and it fits easier thematically.
-Disney is, y'know, hurting for cash.
-WDW is reluctant to lose what is apparently their #3 most popular ride in the entire resort and would love to postpone the redo indefinitely if DLR's is poorly received
-Tokyo/OLC is not at all interested in changing over their Splash, and since Disney has no power to force Tokyo to do anything, I imagine that will stick.

With a grain of salt, and apologies again if redundant.

mickEblu

I did find a thread in the WDW section from an insider (or "insider" as the case may be; people go back and forth on this particular poster a lot). I do not recall if this was mentioned, so apologies if it is redundant in the context of this thread. Said insider claims:
-DL's WILL happen, in part because they're committed and thus have to do SOMETHING, they imagine it has a better chance of being well-received, and it fits easier thematically.
-WDW is reluctant to lose what is apparently their #3 most popular ride in the entire resort and would love to postpone the redo indefinitely if DLR's is poorly received
-Tokyo/OLC is not at all interested in changing over their Splash, and since Disney has no power to force Tokyo to do anything, I imagine that will stick.

Better received in California because California = liberal? I don’t agree with the reasoning but is that what he’s getting at?

mickEblu

Imagine if Disney really took the opportunity to make this an educational moment instead of crumbling to cancel culture and had little snippets of the Uncle Remus stories being narrated by Miss Georgia for us to hear while we wait in the queue. Imagine the culture, history and weight that would add to the attraction as opposed to shoe horning in another Princess story created by White dudes.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Imagine if Disney really took the opportunity to make this an educational moment instead of crumbling to cancel culture and had little snippets of the Uncle Remus stories being narrated by Miss Georgia for us to hear while we wait in the queue. Imagine the culture, history and weight that would add to the attraction as opposed to shoe horning in another Princess story created by White dudes.

The Uncle Remus stories are racist and were written by a white dude.

There are plenty of black folks who don’t have the same view as Miss Georgia. Some of the things she was saying was Uncle Tom-ish. Harris preserved “our” history? How sway?

I agree that Disney needs to turn this into an educational opportunity.

mickEblu

The Uncle Remus stories are racist and were written by a white dude.

There are plenty of black folks who don’t have the same view as Miss Georgia. Some of the things she was saying was Uncle Tom-ish. Harris preserved “our” history? How sway?

What Miss Georgia says goes! Who am I to question her? I certainly value her opinion as an older Black woman who grew up in the South more than I do Disney and the Twitter mob of people who who know nothing about any of this stuff.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Anything from THAT particular 'Insider' I wouldn't place my bets on.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
What Miss Georgia says goes! Who am I to question her? I certainly value her opinion as an older Black woman who grew up in the South more than I do Disney and the Twitter mob of people who who know nothing about any of this stuff.

Of course, you can value her opinion. She doesn’t speak for the community, but I’m sure we all know that. ;) I respect her as an elder.

If we really want to honor black history, then we need to do away with Harris’ racist stories and return to the original African sources and stories.

mickEblu

Of course, you can value her opinion. She doesn’t speak for the community, but I’m sure we all know that. ;) I respect her as an elder.

If we really want to honor black history, then we need to do away with Harris’ racist stories and return to the original African sources and stories.

Of course she doesn’t speak for everyone but from every real live person I’ve heard I’d consider her the highest authority.

We can do away with the Harris stories while still preserving the Brer Characters and Splash Mountain. Both things can happen but it’s more work and Disney would rather just not deal with it.

I’ll be honest I’m not on expert on the Harris stories. I’ve seen Song of the South a couple times and I have a basic understanding of the stories and their origin. Off the top of my head I don’t know what can be considered racist about Disney’s representation of those stories as the animated segments in SOTS aside from the tar baby which was not included in Splash Mountain. I guess I have more of an 80s view on life and how they approached building the ride. Take out the bad stuff and leave the good. The rationale they re using to get rid of Splash (the animated segments are associated with the live action movie which had parts the glorified the reconstruction) Is so weak that you can literally apply it anywhere in Disneyland. The Racist horrible man who made SOTS made Everything else so it all has to go.

October82

The rationale they re using to get rid of Splash (the animated segments are associated with the live action movie which had parts the glorified the reconstruction) Is so weak that you can literally apply it anywhere in Disneyland. The Racist horrible man who made SOTS made Everything else so it all has to go.

I'm going to be honest that I don't think this really holds up. This thread (like the Covid ones) is probably at the limit of being moved to the politics sub-forum, but as someone who thinks a lot about social justice, this whole saga just isn't something "serious" people think or care about.

What this has always been about for Disney is that Princess and the Frog is a marketable franchise, while Song of the South isn't. It's a simple business calculation for them. Not one I agree with, but this isn't about systematic racism in any substantive way.

mickEblu

I'm going to be honest that I don't think this really holds up. This thread (like the Covid ones) is probably at the limit of being moved to the politics sub-forum, but as someone who thinks a lot about social justice, this whole saga just isn't something "serious" people think or care about.

What this has always been about for Disney is that Princess and the Frog is a marketable franchise, while Song of the South isn't. It's a simple business calculation for them. Not one I agree with, but this isn't about systematic racism in any substantive way.

Yeah because PatF was such a huge hit for them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom