Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

If you're like me you're probably going to settle on a nice sandwich! :)

I hope it's not coming across as though I am trying to say your opinion isn't valid, simply that it is one based on incomplete information because you have not experienced the WDW ride in person. All POVs, even the best ones, are simply impressions or records of someone else's experience. In person, you register new details and elements of the experience that simply aren't perceptible on video. A person could watch a POV of POTC, for example, and have no idea what the ride smells like, and how that becomes part of the experience too. The Blue Bayou portion might come across as filler on video but be genuinely transporting when experienced in the flesh. Looking at USH from Google Maps will show you that there are elevation changes, but you probably won't understand the degree to which they actually exist until you visit in person, or be able to tell that you get that incredible view after the first escalator down to the lower lot. And so on.

Lol @ the sandwich.

That might be true for a person who has no experience with Disney parks but not for myself who has been on the original versions of those attractions many times. You can’t compre me to Joe Schmo

CHOX

Watched a ride through of WDWs Splash and a couple things stood out to me. Is it just the 1 (or maybe 2) extra scenes with Brer Fox and Bear lurking behind Brer Rabbit that really make the story that much greater for everyone?

Also DLs flume layout works harmoniously with the songs. At DL, the drops cue the next song. At WDW you just float past one scene where they re singing How Do You and the next (3 feet later with no real transition) they are singing Laughing Place. Then you go down the roller coaster drop and they re still singing Laughin place with no real change in tone. Then you see Brer Fox catch Brer Rabbit but go back to happy birds singing Laughing Place again. Then no Burrows Lament and straight to the vultures/ lift hill. It had been a while since I’ve seen a WDW splash ride through and I’m Even more confused on why people think it’s hands down better than DLs version. Is it the brighter lights and the fact that you don’t get as wet? There is a much better flow at DL. Splash at DL is far superior musically, emotionally and physically and all of the elements work in unison. If there is a version to keep stateside, it’s the one in Anaheim.

I don’t know why so many people are so gung-ho about Orlando having an objectively better version.

I had a Golden Retriever as a kid, then another as a teenager. They both died, I have some strong memories but for the most part they merge together. It’s kinda the same with Splash. There are differences but not enough to make one superior.

I like Anaheim more. The seating arrangement and speed makes it more thrilling than Orlando. I think the music in Anaheim is far superior but I grew up on the ride so that’s likely nostalgia.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

Yeah I mean I don’t really have a dog in this current fight. I’d rather one stay than none. But it seems to be so unanimous that WDWs is better and I’m over here kind of scratching my head on why.
Well, like I said, I think both versions are great. We don't have to pit one over the other.

idk why they made B'rer Rabbit grey though
Disney is really inconsistent as to what color Brer Rabbit is. On merchandise, he near constantly goes back and forth between being brown and grey.

mickEblu

I don’t know why so many people are so gung-ho about Orlando having an objectively better version.

I had a Golden Retriever as a kid, then another as a teenager. They both died, I have some strong memories but for the most part they merge together. It’s kinda the same with Splash. There are differences but not enough to make one superior.

I like Anaheim more. The seating arrangement and speed makes it more thrilling than Orlando. I think the music in Anaheim is far superior but I grew up on the ride so that’s likely nostalgia.

Agree mostly although I think the preference in music is not just nostalgia. It’s a lot more fun and upbeat.

BasiltheBatLord

I would actually argue that one additional scene with Br’er Fox and Br’er Bear (where they’re standing on top of each other like some kind of hideously deformed giant) helps a lot because it introduces both characters in a more neutral way and as another poster said establishes that they’re working together without any dialogue being necessary. In DL you just jump right into Br’er Bear antics with Br’er Fox ranting.

SplashGhost

They're extremely similar but very different in that DL feels more like a fast-paced thrill ride and WDW's feels like a slow POTC type boat ride with thrill elements.
One part that's better on DL Slash Mountain is the sad bunny part, which is mostly just rocks in the WDW version.

As someone that has been on both the DL and WDW versions, these quotes pretty much sum up why I prefer the DL version.

Burrow's Lament helps add a lot of dramatic weight to the narrative of the ride and makes the build up to the final drop way better.

TP2000

Yeah, after the rabbit is captured, there's a swirly part where you go by sad bunnies before the death birds.

What's bizarre to me is that I know exactly what you are talking about.

And yes, that part is better at Disneyland.

I do like the robots in DL's version because they're repurposed. They look weirder than the WDW version.

True. And they are freaking everywhere in the Disneyland version. Especially that first showroom after the first drop, it's like there are dozens of singing geese all around you, singin' and struttin' and singin'. About something. How do you do?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

What's bizarre to me is that I know exactly what you are talking about.

And yes, that part is better at Disneyland.
The beauty of that scene is it not only makes us feel Br'er Rabbit is in real danger but we are too as we head up the lift hill. It gives you this great sense of dread that lies ahead which makes the Zip-A-Dee-Do-DA song at the end even more of a celebration of life.

SplashGhost

The beauty of that scene is it not only makes us feel Br'er Rabbit is in real danger but we are too as we head up the lift hill. It gives you this great sense of dread that lies ahead which makes the Zip-A-Dee-Do-DA song at the end even more of a celebration of life.

Exactly, it takes the narrative to a much darker place than the WDW version does which makes the happy finale have way more of an impact on an emotional level.

SplashGhost

It really does. It makes that ending more of "😆 we did it!!! We are alive!!! Zip-a-dee-doo-dah baby!!!!" It becomes a party at the end.

I agree. One thing that I don't think Disney understands anymore is how to make ride narratives emotionally compelling. Look at the DCA Little Mermaid ride for example. For some reason, there is a celebration at the end, but the ride is so devoid of any type of genuine threat or darkness that it doesn't feel like the celebration scene is earned.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Sad bunny?
Yeah, after the rabbit is captured, there's a swirly part where you go by sad bunnies before the death birds.

Burrows lament is a fantastic scene. It does a perfect job of building up tension before the final drop. Dr facilier is a great villain but I've listened to "friends on the other side" way too many times. This is what really irritates me with their rethemes.. they like familiarity and hardly take risks with anything original. It's as lazy as it is safe. Been there done that.

SplashGhost

Burrows lament is a fantastic scene. It does a perfect job of building up tension before the final drop. Dr facilier is a great villain but I've listened to "friends on the other side" way too many times. This is what really irritates me with their rethemes.. they like familiarity and hardly take risks with anything original. It's as lazy as it is safe. Been there done that.

One of the great things about Splash Mountain is that it introduced a lot of people to the Brer Rabbit stories that might have never known of them otherwise.

With Disney's current trend of basing everything only on IPs that the current generation are familiar with, the Disney Parks are no longer introducing things that are new to their audience. When everything is based on a current IP, the Disney Parks lose a lot of what makes them special.

BasiltheBatLord

True. And they are freaking everywhere in the Disneyland version. Especially that first showroom after the first drop, it's like there are dozens of singing geese all around you, singin' and struttin' and singin'. About something. How do you do?
I like how one of them is holding a smoothie and they went to the trouble if making it look like you can identify the individuals bits of smoothie in the glass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom