Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

Professortango1

The hill, the converted salt caverns in the last part of the queue that have crystals in the wall and signage, and the entire Tiana Foods empire seeming to be based on the McIlhenny Company headquartered on a salt dome.
It's funny because I don't believe McIlhenny was IN the Salt Mines, rather they were just on Avery Island, which is a salt dome about 56 feet high and 3 miles long. Basically, nothing like the hill we see for TBA.

Averyislanddistance_(8)SMALL.jpg

Maybe it's a result of a post Cinema Sins world where we feel we need to justify everything to avoid people poking holes. A similar attraction which sits in Tokyo has a queue where you just enter a random aged barn that transitions to tunnels in the Georgia clay, then we wind down to a water way and jump in logs. It doesn't make a ton of sense, but we also don't get the feeling that is trying to. It is simply giving us a mood and setting for our upcoming experience.

Now that barn is Tiana's Foods, which is connected to mine shafts for Salt Mining. She seems to own the mine as well, but is using it as a way to get to the shipping area with cranes set up in the heart of the mine. Where we board logs to tour her commercial farm. Which consists of a few crops planted precariously on small ledges. \

I would have thought the farm would be bigger. Could have made an interesting exterior queue. But by forcing everything to carry story where it wasn't designed to carry story, makes a strange divide in the guest experience. The building wasn't designed for an immersive "you are characters in this story" experience. Its passive. A successor to Pirates where we vibe for a bit in the bayou before dropping down into the theatrical world of ride and characters where we float past moments in time. Imagine a Pirates queue at Disneyland where they tell us that Jack is trapped in Tortuga and we need to race there and help him out! Our help is needed! Then we board a boat and lazily float through a bayou, past a restaurant, see a guy playing a banjo, then dive down a water fall into more passive vignettes before finally seeing The Black Pearl.

It is something that Imagineers/management seems to not grasp with rethemes...the ride was designed to deliver story information and audience engagement in precise ways and when you ignore that, it creates a disconnect.

SilentWindODoom

It's funny because I don't believe McIlhenny was IN the Salt Mines, rather they were just on Avery Island, which is a salt dome about 56 feet high and 3 miles long. Basically, nothing like the hill we see for TBA.

View attachment 791219

Ahh... Yes. It is indeed on rather than in. Every source I've read refers to Avery Island as the salt dome as opposed to it being a feature on the island, but it likely isn't within the mines... although such tunnels seem like they would be useful in the field of food, but perhaps less so for the creation of sauce.

Maybe it's a result of a post Cinema Sins world where we feel we need to justify everything to avoid people poking holes. A similar attraction which sits in Tokyo has a queue where you just enter a random aged barn that transitions to tunnels in the Georgia clay, then we wind down to a water way and jump in logs. It doesn't make a ton of sense, but we also don't get the feeling that is trying to. It is simply giving us a mood and setting for our upcoming experience.

Now that barn is Tiana's Foods, which is connected to mine shafts for Salt Mining. She seems to own the mine as well, but is using it as a way to get to the shipping area with cranes set up in the heart of the mine. Where we board logs to tour her commercial farm. Which consists of a few crops planted precariously on small ledges.

I don't know if, necessarily, the CinemaSinification of society is responsible. I feel like things added into storyline to explain things that don't make sense have always been considered part of the Disney touch. Like I've heard them lauded for thinking of everything that way.

But Splash has always been a bit of an outlier to that. It broke up the geographic journey around the Rivers of America and fit less in Frontierland than Tiana's from a location aspect.

Hehehe. Honestly, your description of why the Salt Mine is incorporated into the company's headquarters is more involved than I even thought of it and makes all the sense in the world! I don't know if that was the intention, but it's brilliant nonetheless! :hilarious:

MouseEarsMom33

I rode during DVC previews today. I was disappointed after the POV. IMO, the POV did not do the ride justice. It's a different feel from Splash Mountain, but it is still good. It's hard to see some of the details in the POV. It feels more like a fun time (similar to Mine Train), including the hill. I sat through the entire ride smiling to the music and the scenes. I have been disappointed that Dr. Facilier and Friends on the Other Side was not on the hill. But I don't think it would have fit with the tone of the ride.

It's amazing how much the tone of a ride can influence ones nerves. I used to be nervous riding splash and the hill. I didn't feel that way today. I think I prefer TBA over Splash Mountain.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I rode during DVC previews today. I was disappointed after the POV. IMO, the POV did not do the ride justice. It's a different feel from Splash Mountain, but it is still good. It's hard to see some of the details in the POV. It feels more like a fun time (similar to Mine Train), including the hill. I sat through the entire ride smiling to the music and the scenes. I have been disappointed that Dr. Facilier and Friends on the Other Side was not on the hill. But I don't think it would have fit with the tone of the ride.

It's amazing how much the tone of a ride can influence ones nerves. I used to be nervous riding splash and the hill. I didn't feel that way today. I think I prefer TBA over Splash Mountain.
Was there any ride stoppages or evacs today? I'm going to tomorrow for AP previews, if I get a VQ

MouseEarsMom33

Was there any ride stoppages or evacs today? I'm going to tomorrow for AP previews, if I get a VQ
The ride stopped briefly at least 3 times while I was on it. I don't know if it was due to loading passengers or something was wrong with the ride.

I'm not sure if the ride was evacuated or down at all today. But DVC previews were only for about 3 hours total.

SilentWindODoom

The ride stopped briefly at least 3 times while I was on it. I don't know if it was due to loading passengers or something was wrong with the ride.

I'm not sure if the ride was evacuated or down at all today. But DVC previews were only for about 3 hours total.

Like... the log stopped or everything shut down and the spiel played and the lights possibly came on?

brettf22

Premium Member
Might as well put this here amongst the three threads going. I didn’t watch any videos going in, but read some of the conversations. Overall, while I can understand some of the criticisms, I don’t get the “TBA is a huge screw up!” takes. I would say for folks familiar with Splash, this could rate lower, due to the thinner story and step down in overall amount of scenes. But everything is visually stunning. In particular, the shrink/grow effects, and, of course, the advanced animatronics. And I was thrilled to see the return of the former Laughing Place troubled overhead laminar fountains.

Overall, for somebody coming in without any knowledge of Splash, I’d say this is an 8.5-9 out of 10. I’d say it’s biggest challenge that would lower that number would be keeping things working.

spresso81

I guess I don't understand why the AAs in Tiana are breaking already. Are they supposed to be so fragile?

Example below. It's the scene in the ride where Tiana is sitting on a rock for some reason. Look at her hand. You can see it's separated from the arm, and you can see the mechanism underneath:

View attachment 791614

Good grief.

Brer Rabbit is still in the mountain and playing his tricks!

However, for real just pathetic show for a brand new ride.

dreamfinding

The ride did not open with the park today. Once opened, it ran for a little while before a full stop and evac. Weather plagued it in the afternoon. I was told only 6 full operating hours today.

VicariousCorpse

It's the scene in the ride where Tiana is sitting on a rock for some reason. Look at her hand. You can see it's separated from the arm, and you can see the mechanism underneath:

Good grief.
It's not broken, they just decided to leave it exposed... You can see it pretty clearly in the official POV Disney posted... on both the Tiana on the Lift Hill and the one sitting on the log. I'm sure all the Tianas with the Adventure outfit are the same.
fkf.png

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

It's not broken, they just decided to leave it exposed... You can see it pretty clearly in the official POV Disney posted... on both the Tiana on the Lift Hill and the one sitting on the log. I'm sure all the Tianas with the Adventure outfit are the same.
View attachment 791672

Oh my god, you're kidding me. Unbelievable. You see why I dump on modern Imagineers all the time? 🤬

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom