Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

CntrlFlPete

I really can't judge a ride such as this w/o at least three rides through, or at least those are my thoughts ATM.

Generally, my wife, my daughter and I all enjoyed the experience! First thoughts from me are that it is still a fun experience. I was surprised that there are still these rough areas where the logs can be painful. When it was Splash, I do not recall water dripping on my legs for a good part of the ride, I was in the 2nd row and I think water was dripping down from the padding in front of me.

I tried to keep away from spoilers (including this thread). Anyway, if there is a story, I need a few rides through to follow, I guess I was more into the atmosphere on this ride through. I loved seeing the hill/mound from the longs, the color of the floral looked cool to me. I did recall rumors of being shrunk down, I did pick up on when we became frog size.

The animatronics are impressive (the ones w/ a ton of movement). I believe everything on our ride through was working (today).

Something I did not like when thinking about Splash is that I enjoyed the cartoon feel of things I got from the color scheme on the rocks and such, just seemed to paint a brighter picture for me while I found things darker (but it was a bright day and my eyes do not adjust too quickly, more why I need a few rides before I really form an opinion).

pos.jpg

Dear Prudence

I really can't judge a ride such as this w/o at least three rides through, or at least those are my thoughts ATM.

Generally, my wife, my daughter and I all enjoyed the experience! First thoughts from me are that it is still a fun experience. I was surprised that there are still these rough areas where the logs can be painful. When it was Splash, I do not recall water dripping on my legs for a good part of the ride, I was in the 2nd row and I think water was dripping down from the padding in front of me.

I tried to keep away from spoilers (including this thread). Anyway, if there is a story, I need a few rides through to follow, I guess I was more into the atmosphere on this ride through. I loved seeing the hill/mound from the longs, the color of the floral looked cool to me. I did recall rumors of being shrunk down, I did pick up on when we became frog size.

The animatronics are impressive (the ones w/ a ton of movement). I believe everything on our ride through was working (today).

Something I did not like when thinking about Splash is that I enjoyed the cartoon feel of things I got from the color scheme on the rocks and such, just seemed to paint a brighter picture for me while I found things darker (but it was a bright day and my eyes do not adjust too quickly, more why I need a few rides before I really form an opinion).

View attachment 792719
This is a very thoughtful and honest review, and I appreciate it.

Although, honestly, I did fear that they'd not fix some of the track issues from its predecessor. I fear for the folks who aren't familiar with final drop at Disneyland. 😬

Dear Prudence

...ok? Nothing to do with what I commented about.

Of note, the only "influencer" review of the ride I've watched has been from Poseidon Entertainment, who gave it a good review but who's also not exactly known for positive takes about current Disney (his most recent video before that one was calling the EPCOT overhaul "Five years and millions of dollars to move some dirt around"). I didn't agree with his take based on what I saw in the video, as I felt he underplayed how important the lack of stakes/tension in the build to the final drop is, but I had no reason to believe he wasn't being honest in saying he liked the general atmosphere of most of the new ride, given he's never been one to hold back negative opinions when he feels they're warranted and is *clearly* not on Disney's Christmas gift list.

But my point here is that recent years have given us a whole lot of new IP based rides that are pretty lazy in content and execution, but this one at least feels like there was some effort put into thematic cohesion and creating an overall mood. Doesn't change that the lack of tension in the build to the finale and the "we need YOU to help us!" preschool level of storytelling seems very unappealing to me.
Oh, sorry, I misread your mention of effort, my mistake.

I don't disagree with you, though, especially on that last paragraph about preschool level of narrative and storytelling (although Bluey seems to manage a nice balance that doesn't insult kids the way a lot of other media does).

Dear Prudence

This group was committed to liking the attraction before it opened.
See, that's the problem. I had said in the beginning, it's going to be impossible to get a good assessment of this overlay.

There are people committed to hating it, and people who will shill it at all costs (a lot of whom are being paid to do so).

I wish they had put more effort into things like Tiana's hands not already coming off or more personality into the critters that for some reason have Narnia-level backstories, but look like Disney knock offs. This has reportedly been in the works since 2010, so why is it so lazy?

A good attraction is a good attraction. I *detest* Beauty and the Beast, and I was floored by what TDR did. I think that was their problem with pushing it into the YT algorithm, because you have people who have no interest or stake in these things making honest assessments.

I don't think excessive praise is helpful, and I don't think that thoughtful criticisms/critiques are bad.

Although, my comments about the Santa Cruz Cave Train still stand. 😅

mickEblu

This group was committed to liking the attraction before it opened.

“More fleshed out”

“Multiple moods”

Can’t these shills try harder? Do they think we’re blind and deaf? There is literally one mood in Tiana. Happy. And maybe happier. More fleshed out with what? Trees and grass?

Also thanks for reminding me that I need to cancel my subscription to her Patreon. Im officially a $1 a month richer.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

“More fleshed out”

“Multiple moods”

Can’t these shills try harder? Do they think we’re blind and deaf? There is literally one mood in Tiana. Happy. And maybe happier. More fleshed out with what? Trees and grass?

Also thanks for reminding me that I need to cancel my subscription to her Patreon. Im officially a $1 a month richer.
Calling the sets “more fleshed out” is crazy. There’s less figures and less set pieces to look at (now that everything is covered with fake plants and darkness). Not to mention, very few animatronics are engaging in any sort of action or activity like the characters of Splash were. It’s just the critters that are playing the instruments.

mickEblu

Calling the sets “more fleshed out” is crazy. There’s less figures and less set pieces to look at (now that everything is covered with fake plants and darkness). Not to mention, very few animatronics are engaging in any sort of action or activity like the characters of Splash were. It’s just the critters that are playing the instruments.

That’s honestly insulting the intelligence of your audience as are many of these vloggers in the theme park community.

It doesn’t even make sense to frame the praise that way. When have you ever heard someone say “I really liked it, it had multiple moods.” Lol. That comment is a direct rebuttal to the thousands of us that say it’s monotone and missing the suspense/ antagonist. In other words, it’s not that she really had any genuine praise. Her praise and review is framed as a rebuttal to the complaints. And it’s transparent.

In the Parks
No
“More fleshed out”

“Multiple moods”

Must be getting some free Individual Lightning Lanes for all this positivity.

Ghost93

That’s honestly insulting the intelligence of your audience as are many of these vloggers in the theme park community.

It doesn’t even make sense to frame the praise that way. When have you ever heard someone say “I really liked it, it had multiple moods.” Lol. That comment is a direct rebuttal to the thousands of us that say it’s monotone and missing the suspense/ antagonist. In other words, it’s not that she really had any genuine praise. Her praise and review is framed as a rebuttal to the complaints. And it’s transparent.
While I am skeptical of a lot of people who seemed pre-determined to prefer the new one,I think it also just may highlight how people nowadays have much more of an emotional attachment to the Princess and the Frog characters than the Song of the South animated characters. While a lot of us diehard Disney fans have either seen the movie or know the story of the movie, I'm beginning to realize that the vast majority of park guests under 40 didn't really comprehend the story. The Brer Rabbit story was as well-told as a book report ride could be, but because most park guests have no familiarity with the Brer Rabbit character, it doesn't emotionally move them the way Tiana's Bayou Adventure seems to be doing for a lot of younger fans. If Tiana's Bayou Adventure ends up being preferred to Splash Mountain, it will almost certainly be due to the inherent strength of the IP it was based on.

mickEblu

While I am skeptical of a lot of people who seemed pre-determined to prefer the new one,I think it also just may highlight how people nowadays have much more of an emotional attachment to the Princess and the Frog characters than the Song of the South animated characters. While a lot of us diehard Disney fans have either seen the movie or know the story of the movie, I'm beginning to realize that the vast majority of park guests under 40 didn't really comprehend the story. The Brer Rabbit story was as well-told as a book report ride could be, but because most park guests have no familiarity with the Brer Rabbit character, it doesn't emotionally move them the way Tiana's Bayou Adventure seems to be doing for a lot of younger fans. If Tiana's Bayou Adventure ends up being preferred to Splash Mountain, it will almost certainly be due to the inherent strength of the IP it was based on.

I think that probably can help describe why some 30 and under year old Disney park enthusiasts or casual fans might prefer TBA ( or at least pretend to like it more or get swept into the hype of a new ride) but not most of these vloggers. At least not the ones I’ve pointed out. They re older and/ or know too much and we have enough data on them to be able to call out the BS.

mickEblu

My inner dialogue when I had to unsubscribe from some DL parks vloggers on YouTube I’ve been following:

Me: I can’t be subscribed to these shills

Other Me: But you might miss out on some good content and you like most of their other stuff

Me: What good content? Everything Disney has done lately pi$$es me off and that’s what they report on.

[ clicks on Unsubscribe button ]

Out of principle I cannot support anyone that shills and insults people’s intelligence. Even if I like the majority of their content.

Magenta Panther

thank you! I just do not get the holes in the arm. The sleeveless dress is nice....but....
Yeah, what the heck are those holes about? Are they there to help anchor clothes on or something?

I guess the Imagineers thought nobody would notice. More fools they. Everything gets photographed and picked apart these days. Every flaw is detected. There is no avoiding our scrutiny. No escape. We see you, Imagineers! We see the open mechanisms in AA joints that you didn't bother to hide! We see the holes in Tiana's arms and the dirty brown water the Briar Patch used to cover up! We see it all, and you shall not be spared our judgement! Our contempt! Our ridicule! Bwahahahahaa!!!

Anyway, this is really bad show, dudes.

holey tiana.jpg

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

It’s downright illogical. I can understand praise for the animatronics or some of the lighting. But not stuff the ride objectively misses out on.
Must be getting some free Individual Lightning Lanes for all this positivity.
She leaked the entire Laughing Place replacement down to the last detail. She’s well connected.
I think it’s funny because I’m within the age group the film was made for when it came out. I didn’t care for it, and most of my peers didn’t either. I like it a lot now, but that’s because I have it a chance later on. Most of the people that seem to be a big fan of this retheme are squarely in their 30s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom