Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

aladdin2007

If you mean retooled as in they'll try to add to the Tiana theme I can see then adding more critters in the areas with nothing going on. Retooled as in a full on change of theme? Almost zero.
The only way that could happen I think is if Iger rode and demanded it, like Eisner did with Figment. I don't even think Josh could demand it,, not like he would anyway or he would know any better or different unfortunately......

Tha Realest

The only way that could happen I think is if Iger rode and demanded it, like Eisner did with Figment. I don't even think Josh could demand it,, not like he would anyway or he would know any better or different unfortunately......
Retooling it this quickly would be unprecedented and an acknowledgement this ride failed in terms of concept and execution. Given how effuse the Disney leadership and their favored influencers are about this attraction, there’s a zero percent chance that happens within the next few years.

aladdin2007

Retooling it this quickly would be unprecedented and an acknowledgement this ride failed in terms of concept and execution. Given how effuse the Disney leadership and their favored influencers are about this attraction, there’s a zero percent chance that happens within the next few years.
oh I agree,,,was just saying at this point like Eisner I think Iger would be the only one with clout....but yeah not happening unfortunately.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
So what's the over/under on this being retooled in a few years time?

Retooled? Wait 30 years and ask again.

Plussed in a bunch of small ways... I could see it happening.
They won’t do a thing, because that would mean admitting failure.

Humbleness is not a quality trait at WDI.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
They won’t do a thing, because that would mean admitting failure.

Humbleness is not a quality trait at WDI.
Tru dat.
I think they will change the story sometime in the next 10-15 years, with minor adjustments like adding more thrill to the lift hill and filling in some dead zones. In 30 years, it will probably get a new theme entirely.
It could only be improved. TBA is very much a rough draft as-is. The bones are there but the story needs to be expounded. It needs greater ties to Tiana Foods and a better understanding of why and how we're venturing into the bayou. Is it a tour that detours? A grand opening celebration? The plot would likely benefit from a mcguffin or antagonist as well. Juju? He's not doing much right now. Maybe he could be the would-be foil since Facilier is a no-go. Or that key we see in the shrink room... maybe it could be retconned around that? Perhaps the hollow log is Juju's house and he's projected on the screen? That would add some needed tension. It wouldn't be difficult to concoct a deeper story seeing as how there isn't much of one in the first place. Heck, Louis losing his trumpet (should have been a b-plot) would be a welcomed addition at this point.

RoysCabin

Finally saw a POV of this, and I'll start with what looks nice: it really does seem like genuine effort went into this. At a time where it's very easy to rip on Disney for quick-fixes and "just slap a preexisting property on it" band-aid solutions, or rides that feel empty compared to what was there before, this at least comes off like they knew they had massive shoes to fill and gave it a good faith try. Some nice looking theming and details, modern animatronics, and I got the vibe that the general atmosphere of the ride once you're indoors seems pretty nice.

That said...

Ok, yes, the dialog...but not exactly the dialog, it's what's its in service of. I just mentioned this in another thread, but I really, really don't enjoy the "the main characters are trying to do something, and only YOU can help them!" ride story approach, unless a ride directly involves rider interactions (e.g. Buzz, Mario Kart, MiB, Smugglers Run); it honestly just feels patronizing to me. I am a passive observer, not an active participant, so why are you treating me like I'm doing anything besides sitting in a log and looking at stuff?

And yeah, I'm one of those guys who always enjoyed the tension and buildup in Splash - going from How Do Ya Do to Laffin' Place always felt like a gradual descent into madness, and by the time you're on the last lift hill you've got the dramatic music (heck, operatic music in Anaheim), Brer Fox being intimidating, the briar patch below, and then the cathartic release of Zip a Dee Doo Dah at the final scene. If you remove that...I don't know, this is a part I'll have to experience for myself, but it feels like you remove a core component of any log flume ride. Because without the buildup, tension, etc.? It's a 45 degree drop. All the story work and atmosphere is meant to contribute to it being scarier than it actually is (worked like a charm on little kid me back in the day!), but that's kind of erased here. Just a very strange choice.

Last edited:

Bocabear

In Tokyo Disney Seas they have the Sinbad attraction... In several parts of the ride, the Sinbad character directly addresses the boat riders...much like Tiana does in this attraction... The thing they seem to be missing at the end is her addressing us directly like she has done a few times before...She appears to just be singing a song and we float on by... It would have been interesting to have had a final Tiana where the Mama Odie is, to thank us for the help or something...that to me would feel a little more complete... In the Sinbad attraction they have a final Sinbad animatronic that speaks dirtectly to the audience and wishes us well on our journey...waves goodby... it is such a sweet ending....In TBA we float through the big party finale so quickly and then...Mama Odie is next to a table of beignets...and that is it....

Dan Deesnee

Finally saw a POV of this, and I'll start with what looks nice: it really does seem like genuine effort went into this. At a time where it's very easy to rip on Disney for quick-fixes and "just slap a preexisting property on it" band-aid solutions, or rides that feel empty compared to what was there before, this at least comes off like they knew they had massive shoes to fill and gave it a good faith try. Some nice looking theming and details, modern animatronics, and I got the vibe that the general atmosphere of the ride once you're indoors seems pretty nice.

That said...

Ok, yes, the dialog...but not exactly the dialog, it's what's its in service of. I just mentioned this in another thread, but I really, really don't enjoy the "the main characters are trying to do something, and only YOU can help them!" ride story approach, unless a ride directly involves rider interactions (e.g. Buzz, Mario Kart, MiB, Smugglers Run); it honestly just feels patronizing to me. I am an active observer, not an active participant, so why are you treating me like I'm doing anything besides sitting in a log and looking at stuff?

And yeah, I'm one of those guys who always enjoyed the tension and buildup in Splash - going from How Do Ya Do to Laffin' Place always felt like a gradual descent into madness, and by the time you're on the last lift hill you've got the dramatic music (heck, operatic music in Anaheim), Brer Fox being intimidating, the briar patch below, and then the cathartic release of Zip a Dee Doo Dah at the final scene. If you remove that...I don't know, this is a part I'll have to experience for myself, but it feels like you remove a core component of any log flume ride. Because without the buildup, tension, etc.? It's a 45 degree drop. All the story work and atmosphere is meant to contribute to it being scarier than it actually is (worked like a charm on little kid me back in the day!), but that's kind of erased here. Just a very strange choice.

Brilliantly said.

Even as an adult that gradual increase in seriousness was there...and it worked.

Without it, the ride just leaves your emotions stuck in neutral. I have only seen the point of view ride videos but I wonder if this ride will end up being a less popular version of Frozen Ever After. It seems like similarities are there. Empty spaces (ice palace interior), not much emotion outside of happiness, not much of a story, no real build up of any kind.

Tianas will get a big enhancement at some point in the next 5-8 years. Added animatronics, etc to fill in emptiness, a reworked story, and other enhancements. Honestly when they do this I can see the ride becoming a new classic, if done right.

Disney does not have the luxury of ignoring feedback and sitting on their hands with this one. It is far too in the spotlight for many different reasons and will remain so. It was Magic Kingdoms flagship ride. It will get flagship treatment and get reworked / enhancements much faster than a lower profile ride.

RoysCabin

Brilliantly said.

Even as an adult that gradual increase in seriousness was there...and it worked.

Without it, the ride just leaves your emotions stuck in neutral. I have only seen the point of view ride videos but I wonder if this ride will end up being a less popular version of Frozen Ever After. It seems like similarities are there. Empty spaces (ice palace interior), not much emotion outside of happiness, not much of a story, no real build up of any kind.

Tianas will get a big enhancement at some point in the next 5-8 years. Added animatronics, etc to fill in emptiness, a reworked story, and other enhancements. Honestly when they do this I can see the ride becoming a new classic, if done right.

Disney does not have the luxury of ignoring feedback and sitting on their hands with this one. It is far too in the spotlight for many different reasons and will remain so. It was Magic Kingdoms flagship ride. It will get flagship treatment and get reworked / enhancements much faster than a lower profile ride.
Honestly, FEA was the vibe I got from it, and that's not a good thing. FEA sells us on the idea that "we've" been invited to Elsa's castle and...no? No, "we" haven't? It sounds like such an obvious thing to point out, because, duh, we don't personally know a bunch of fictional characters, but it completely alters the dynamic of the attraction to have characters talking to us like we got on this ride because we are actively trying to keep an appointment with someone, rather than because we are simply interested in exploring what this ride contains.

I said it in the other thread, but it'd be one thing if it was a story like in Dinosaur or Spider-man over in IoA: in those, we're technically part of the story, but again our role is a passive one: Spider-man warns us we're making a mistake following him on such a dangerous night and ends up bailing us out, no help from us, and in Dinosaur it's Seeker roping us into his scheme, not us actively "helping" him. An even more direct example of when this works is when you have a shooting gallery ride; at least in those instances, the riders ARE playing an active role.

Instead, this, FEA, Cosmic Rewind, et. al. are acting like we've gone out of our way to sign up for some kind of activity or are being enlisted to do something significant, but then they place us in a ride where we just sit there and things happen around us; we played no active role, but the narrative is telling us we did. It's a very, very strange dynamic and disconnect.

But yeah, the lack of build up is something I can't begin to comprehend; one of my personal traditions sometimes in the WDW Splash was to bang on the rubber surface in front of me like a war drum, because as you climb to the top you're supposed to be getting a feeling of "oh crap, here it comes!", which makes you want to scream that much louder on the big drop, which in turn makes you that much more giddy when you splash down and then celebrate in the final room. Turning it into a good guy character just saying "Oh, here, let me get you to the party, have fun!" before the drop is like, I dunno, turning Tower of Terror into a wacky cartoon gag with an elevator that goes up and down at random, maybe? I don't know, I'm having a hard time thinking of an equivalent, because it runs so counter to just about any instinct I'd have about ride storytelling.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Honestly, FEA was the vibe I got from it, and that's not a good thing. FEA sells us on the idea that "we've" been invited to Elsa's castle and...no? No, "we" haven't? It sounds like such an obvious thing to point out, because, duh, we don't personally know a bunch of fictional characters, but it completely alters the dynamic of the attraction to have characters talking to us like we got on this ride because we are actively trying to keep an appointment with someone, rather than because we are simply interested in exploring what this ride contains.

I said it in the other thread, but it'd be one thing if it was a story like in Dinosaur or Spider-man over in IoA: in those, we're technically part of the story, but again our role is a passive one: Spider-man warns us we're making a mistake following him on such a dangerous night and ends up bailing us out, no help from us, and in Dinosaur it's Seeker roping us into his scheme, not us actively "helping" him. An even more direct example of when this works is when you have a shooting gallery right; at least in those instances, the riders ARE playing an active role.

Instead, this, FEA, Cosmic Rewind, et. al. are acting like we've gone out of our way to sign up for some kind of activity or are being enlisted to do something significant, but then they place us in a ride where we just sit there and things happen around us; we play no active role, but the narrative is telling us we did. It's a very, very strange dynamic and disconnect.

But yeah, the lack of build up is something I can't begin to comprehend; one of my personal traditions sometimes in the WDW Splash was to bang on the rubber surface in front of me like a war drum, because as you climb to the top you're supposed to be getting a feeling of "oh crap, here it comes!", which makes you want to scream that much louder on the big drop, which in turn makes you that much more giddy when you splash down and then celebrate in the final room. Turning it into a good guy character just saying "Oh, here, let me get you to the party, have fun!" before the drop is like, I dunno, turning Tower of Terror into a wacky cartoon gag with an elevator that goes up and down at random, maybe? I don't know, I'm having a hard time thinking of an equivalent, because it runs so counter to just about any instinct I'd have about ride storytelling.

Sometimes I really do try to give the imagineers the benefit of the doubt. I think maybe they steered clear of replacing Facilier with a different antagonist as it would just remind people that the fan favorite one from the movie and his song are not there. But I feel like there were so many work arounds to the problematic voodoo thing. You could have just played the music with no lyrics. Just had the shadows etc. He didn’t have to be there in physical form practicing voodoo like the Wicked Witch in front of her cauldron. They re future proofing the ride for the 3 people that might say it’s problematic in 15 years. It’s ridiculous. Clearly the people have spoken and the overwhelming majority do not find Facilier problematic. And by that I mean 99.9%. I can’t find one comment of someone saying “they re so glad Facilier wasn’t included.” But you can find thousands stating the opposite. Can we just go back to common sense?

And let’s assume in 15 years the world changes so much that they have to remove Facilier’s presence from the ride. What will they have lost? How much could it cost to project some shadows and play a song?

Last edited:

RoysCabin

Sometimes I really do try to give the imagineers the benefit of the doubt. I think maybe they steered clear of replacing Facilier with a different antagonist as it would just remind people that the fan favorite one from the movie and his song are not there. But I feel like there were so many work arounds to the problematic voodoo thing. You could have just played the music with no lyrics. Just had the shadows etc. He didn’t have to be there in physical form practicing voodoo like the Wicked Witch in front of her cauldron. They re future proofing the ride for the 3 people that might say it’s problematic in 15 years. It’s ridiculous. Clearly the people have spoken and the overwhelming majority do not find Facilier problematic. And by that I mean 99.9%. I can’t find one comment of someone saying “they re so glad Facilier wasn’t included.” But you can find thousands stating the opposite. Can we just go back to common sense?

And let’s assume in 15 years the world changes so much that they have to remove Facilier’s presence from the ride. I could front them the few thousand it would have cost to project some shadows and play a song from the movie.
I won't even comment on all that; I don't know who's out there saying what, I don't know what perspectives are out there I might not have considered, for all I know there are perfectly reasonable, fair takes on which such and such a character or whatever feels wrong, etc.

But none of that means some kind of tension couldn't be created in the buildup to the finale, full stop. Whether that involve voodoo, a natural disaster, or using an entirely different IP that doesn't have any potential concerns like that, whatever, going for "no tension before the climactic moment and denouement" was an active choice that was made regardless of what the IP or characters involved are or could have been.

mickEblu

I won't even comment on all that; I don't know who's out there saying what, I don't know what perspectives are out there I might not have considered, for all I know there are perfectly reasonable, fair takes on which such and such a character or whatever feels wrong, etc.

But none of that means some kind of tension couldn't be created in the buildup to the finale, full stop. Whether that involve voodoo, a natural disaster, or using an entirely different IP that doesn't have any potential concerns like that, whatever, going for "no tension before the climactic moment and denouement" was an active choice that was made regardless of what the IP or characters involved are or could have been.

You don’t have to comment on it. Thousands of people already did on the YouTube Disney POV alone.

But I’d agree that any sort of suspense, different antagonist or tonal variety would be better than what they did on the final lifthill. Makes no sense on any level.

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

That said...

Ok, yes, the dialog...but not exactly the dialog, it's what's its in service of. I just mentioned this in another thread, but I really, really don't enjoy the "the main characters are trying to do something, and only YOU can help them!" ride story approach, unless a ride directly involves rider interactions (e.g. Buzz, Mario Kart, MiB, Smugglers Run); it honestly just feels patronizing to me. I am a passive observer, not an active participant, so why are you treating me like I'm doing anything besides sitting in a log and looking at stuff?
They're putting more actual effort into getting influencers to praise it. They are making content in droves. they've paid people to be overly effusive in their praise,,which, sorry, doesn't match with the actual quality of the ride. I don't need to be told by someone whose job is to pressure people to buy stuff to enjoy something that clearly does not match their descriptions. They could have just put more work into the ride.

Last edited:

RoysCabin

They're putting more actual effort into getting influencers to praise it. They are making content in droves. they've paid people to be overly effusive in their praise,,which, sorry, doesn't match with the actual quality of the ride. I don't need to be told by someone whose job is to pressure people to buy stuff to enjoy something that clearly does not match their descriptions. They could have just put more work into the ride.
...ok? Nothing to do with what I commented about.

Of note, the only "influencer" review of the ride I've watched has been from Poseidon Entertainment, who gave it a good review but who's also not exactly known for positive takes about current Disney (his most recent video before that one was calling the EPCOT overhaul "Five years and millions of dollars to move some dirt around"). I didn't agree with his take based on what I saw in the video, as I felt he underplayed how important the lack of stakes/tension in the build to the final drop is, but I had no reason to believe he wasn't being honest in saying he liked the general atmosphere of most of the new ride, given he's never been one to hold back negative opinions when he feels they're warranted and is *clearly* not on Disney's Christmas gift list.

But my point here is that recent years have given us a whole lot of new IP based rides that are pretty lazy in content and execution, but this one at least feels like there was some effort put into thematic cohesion and creating an overall mood. Doesn't change that the lack of tension in the build to the finale and the "we need YOU to help us!" preschool level of storytelling seems very unappealing to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom