Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

WorldExplorer

Spoke with a friend who heard Tony Baxter speak in person about TBA a couple of years ago...

My friend confirms that Baxter made several suggestions for the ride, and none of his advice was taken.

One of Baxter's specific proposals was to have the final Mama Odie animatronic not just be a "goodbye/good job moment" but have a gag where she says that "some of you don't look wet enough" and she splashes you. The joke is because she's blind. Anyway, just thought I'd pass this on.

That works just as well as just her being cheeky. I don't think I would have thought of the blind angle if it was in the ride.

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Spoke with a friend who heard Tony Baxter speak in person about TBA a couple of years ago...

My friend confirms that Baxter made several suggestions for the ride, and none of his advice was taken.

One of Baxter's specific proposals was to have the final Mama Odie animatronic not just be a "goodbye/good job moment" but have a gag where she says that "some of you don't look wet enough" and she splashes you. The joke is because she's blind. Anyway, just thought I'd pass this on.
This is the entire problem. The ride lacks that cleverness, heart, and charm. It’s cold, sterile, and surface level.

PATF needed more Marc Davis moments than just mirroring whatever FEA did.

dreamfinding

There’s only so much you can pick up on a dozen or so “research trips” to get a sense of New Orleans - it’s not blindingly obvious the first few times that the city has an embarrassment of musical talent literally everywhere.
Not to mention - the whole “Mardi Gras season” narrative. Since they’re pushing that narrative in the 250 pages of story, I’m curious to know if WDI bothered to visited New Orleans, Baton Rouge, or even Houma during Mardi Gras.

Once again, why isn’t there a stand selling king cake after the ride? They are pushing the “Mardi Gras season” narrative, but can’t be bothered to add things that are relevant?

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
That was well put.

But why was SM needing to be redone? You said it, it was a masterpiece. SM isn't much older than Indy and they are bringing it over to DAK in the future despite it being a butchered franchise (by Disney's doing). Space Mountain is another timeless attraction that we all know it isn't going anywhere. All of these examples are timeless because they were attractions in a class of their own.

I agree with you on everything you said except Splash needing to be redone. Sure, a PatF overlay would've been cheaper than it's own ride but at what cost? Guest satisfaction and feedback? This overlay ultimately is going to cost them more in the long run which still has me confused about so many things about this. What did they really think was going to happen and who are the execs on the board that gave the thumbs up on all of this and did not think of the repercussions? And I can go further down the rabbit hole about all of this. How are other people in support of what's going on (ie. Eisner and Lucas). That board literally destroyed everything their legacy is about so why are they defending these clowns? What is the conspiracy?

Always Sunny Reaction GIF
I was referring to The Walt Disney Company’s POV that they didn’t want to have any connection to Song of the South, period.

I don’t agree with it, but I understand it.

There was no world where Splash was going to last into the 2030s, it was always a matter of when, so I’m just disappointed that they fumbled their one shot.

Though you can still hear Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah during Disneyland Paris’ entrance loop thankfully. Is that the last example of a SOTS reference at a Disney-operated resort?

Figments Friend

I just think at this point he has contributed so much time and energy to Disney that a break is in order.

Tony is legendary for creations for the parks and will go down in history as one of the forefathers of Imagineering.

Actually if can continue to provide advice to the new generation of creators I think that would be awesome.

Tony is more than eager to help out on a project.
The problem is nobody seems to want to take his advice seriously because it would require spending a lot of money to do things the ‘right way’.

He DOES provide a lot of mentorship and advice to the younger generation of Imagineers, and has been doing so since his ‘retirement’ in 2013.
He still has his foot in the door there and contributes.
But again, you have to have people who want to listen and take that gift of knowledge to heart and actually apply it to their efforts.

Too many times it is the ‘cheap and easy way’ that is chosen, and not the more suitable (aka expensive) way.
That is not always WDIs fault, as the Company dictates what is built and what money is spent.

Also, one has to keep in mind the politics involved at WDI, and some folks choose not to get him involved.
Their loss.

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I meant as a whole: WDW, DLP, DLR, etc.

I feel like TTC is like a forgotten child. 😂

You will happy to hear that I discovered a clear reference to the ‘Song of The South’ film at one of the WDW Theme Parks three weeks ago when I was in town.
Plain as day, I was surprised to see it was still there on the wall.
And nobody minded, or seemed to notice.
But there it was…in a suitable and meaningful place.

I hesitate to say where this is located exactly, and what it is, as I am sure once someone in Ops gets the slightest sniff of this overlooked item it will be immediately removed.
But it is still there…. you just gotta know where to look!
🙂

-

rct247

I'm intrigued what you mean by "the setting". A lot of people who suggest it's better in person are saying the immersiveness is beyond what can be experienced through YouTube. Did you find it less so, or by "setting" do you mean the way it fits the outdoor portions of Splash Mountain/Frontierland/the interior Splash spaces?

The setting of a Tianas Foods in an old salt mine just outside New Orleans in the 1920s/1930s in Frontierland.

The Tianas Foods is merely a venue to host the party you're looking for musicians for. The queue is where it I showcased.

I know it's making due with what was already there before, which also was a stretch for the location between Pecos Bill's and Big Thunder. It fits Disneyland better, but they wanted the most bang for their buck by redoing both of them.

But don't get me wrong, it is beautiful. I actually love the outside bayou more than the briar patch. The mountain has more greenery. The queue is more vibrant and everything looks fantastic. It's just seems a stretch for the rides story and the surrounding area. There's hardly mountains/hills like that near that region of Louisiana at all.

Vclguy90

I was referring to The Walt Disney Company’s POV that they didn’t want to have any connection to Song of the South, period.

I don’t agree with it, but I understand it.

There was no world where Splash was going to last into the 2030s, it was always a matter of when, so I’m just disappointed that they fumbled their one shot.

Though you can still hear Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah during Disneyland Paris’ entrance loop thankfully. Is that the last example of a SOTS reference at a Disney-operated resort?
I'm just curious why it would not last to 2030? That is not computing to me?

How did Dumbo and Peter Pan last 69 year and will most likely never go away but SM would not have the same longevity? What's the difference?

gorillaball

apparently the ride was down a lot today for cm previews.....I think we have decided to just wait and not attempt the passholder days. This doesn't look like its going to go well. and with the virtual queue lottery Im just turned off of the entire thing anyway.
Excellent, please spread the word to all other AP's you know! Especially AP's that have already ridden with a CM friend, free up some space for me.

FiestaFunKid

Not sure if this one has been posted - it's run through suggesting changes, some huge improvements, some basic, some I may disagree with - but much better use of music, story, and pacing....the kick off with Tiana singing the intro to Almost There and the new lift hill are worth it alone....Dig is no Zip but better than what we got -

Basically, a version like this reminds you that Tiana's has a number of strong songs and this actually looks pretty fun.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom