Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

celluloid

My point was that, as a Splash fan, I reject—and am indeed sick of—the narrative that we have somehow been unfairly treated. It’s something repeatedly stated by those unwilling to consider what other factors may have led to their being “run through the grinder”. No-one has received criticism merely for liking Splash and/or disliking Tiana.
What people were in the grinder for, was not liking splash. It was not trusting Disney to likely produce something as good and their wish for splash to stay.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

because of that., they are pushing their agendas home that she has to only wear pants, she has to succeed at everything alone, and can't have a man around her. Notice the barely existent naveen is back behind her in the finale and not out front or next to her? The whole thing reeks of agenda pushing.

Herein lies the problem.

As an early supporter of the concept, I still think replacing SoTS with a contemporary franchise like PaTF makes sense on the surface. However, grounded in reality, I must admit that taking known material and scrubbing it of all potentially problematic content (essentially checking boxes by committee) is not a successful formula for creating new, engaging attractions.

Under this "check box" model aimed at placating the most people, the Imagineers attempted to divorce a New Orleans macabre-based Princess and the Frog attraction from the core elements of its setting:

- Gone is Princess Tiana’s signature “princess” look from the film.
- Gone is Prince Naveen in any meaningful role.
- Gone is any element of suspense befitting a thrill ride.
- Gone is the highly popular Dr. Facilier, who despite dying in the film, could easily be conjured as a ghost.
- Gone (or significantly modified) is a significant portion of Randy Newman’s famous score.

But if the sum of all parts no longer feels like a representation of the film, franchise, or character itself, it's time to either: 1) start from scratch with original ideas (unlikely); 2) choose a different IP (possible); or 3) return to old-school Imagineering where creators take risks and develop attractions without layers of bureaucratic neutering and over-analysis by committee.

I’m generally a supporter of updating park attractions and don’t believe in “preserving the park as a museum”. However, I think I’ve finally seen enough after the WDW 50th anniversary disaster, EPCOT, recent DVC projects, and now this, arguably the best thing TWDC could do to preserve their brand and shareholder value is to right-size the company of these “oversight committees” that have stymied creativity while inflating costs, conserve resources in this high interest rate environment, and let competitors create new attractions until they figure out the right mix.

Ghost93

In addition to the "we can't make it a book report because people complained about Tiana being a frog for most of the movie!" thing, I think all the stuff about Tiana running an employee-owned food co-op was just for good publicity. Y'know, hype up the ride as the most progressive and inclusive Disney attraction EVER.
To be fair, the food co-op backstory ultimately turned out to just be background information conveyed in the queue. And having seens new videos highlighting the queue, I actually think that's the one area that's significantly better than Splash! The Tiana's Bayou Adventure queue has a lot of worldbuilding and atmosphere and backstory that has a lot of cool details you can get into while waiting in a very long line.

Too bad the bayou adventure itself turned out to be so dull.

Herein lies the problem.

As an early supporter of the concept, I still think replacing SoTS with a contemporary franchise like PaTF makes sense on the surface. However, grounded in reality, I must admit that taking known material and scrubbing it of all potentially problematic content (essentially checking boxes by committee) is not a successful formula for creating new, engaging attractions.

Under this "check box" model aimed at placating the most people, the Imagineers attempted to divorce a New Orleans macabre-based Princess and the Frog attraction from the core elements of its setting:

- Gone is the highly popular Dr. Facilier, who despite dying in the film, could easily be conjured as a ghost.
- Gone (or significantly modified) is a significant portion of Randy Newman’s famous score.

But if the sum of all parts no longer feels like a representation of the film, franchise, or character itself, it's time to either: 1) start from scratch with original ideas (unlikely); 2) choose a different IP (possible); or 3) return to old-school Imagineering where creators take risks and develop attractions without layers of bureaucratic neutering and over-analysis by committee.

I’m generally a supporter of updating park attractions and don’t believe in “preserving the park as a museum”. However, I think I’ve finally seen enough after the WDW 50th anniversary disaster, EPCOT, recent DVC projects, and now this, arguably the best thing TWDC could do to preserve their brand and shareholder value is to right-size the company of these “oversight committees” that have stymied creativity while inflating costs, conserve resources in this high interest rate environment, and let competitors create new attractions until they figure out the right mix.

If thing turn sour (forgive the bad pun) and the ultimate result is a need for a “new build”, I wonder what they would do for option 2. The only other IP involving water is Moana, and I believe they are already working on a Moana based attraction if I am not mistaken. (Also not fantastic thinking of what IP’s specifically since it may not end well.) Also would be interested to see them do something new and creative not hone in on IP’s specifically. It probably isn‘t a great thing to think about, them going back to the drawing board sort of speak, but if it does inevitably happen I do wonder what kind of things they could come up with. I mean there would have to be something where most people can agree that the ride is at a good-great caliber.

DoubleSwitchback

I actually think that's the one area that's significantly better than Splash! The Tiana's Bayou Adventure queue has a lot of worldbuilding and atmosphere and backstory that has a lot of cool details you can get into while waiting in a very long line.

Very well put!

Sectorkeeper71

Herein lies the problem.

Also tied into this is the problem of trying to shove a new IP/story/experience into the existing ride structure. I almost think that’s the hardest thing you can ask a creative to do is “take your idea and mold it around this ride layout” vs the traditional “come up with your idea and we’ll mold the ride experience around that.” Not that it’s a full excuse for the critiques of this ride, but it’s something I’ve thought about a lot since this premiered

DisneyHead123

Also tied into this is the problem of trying to shove a new IP/story/experience into the existing ride structure. I almost think that’s the hardest thing you can ask a creative to do is “take your idea and mold it around this ride layout” vs the traditional “come up with your idea and we’ll mold the ride experience around that.” Not that it’s a full excuse for the critiques of this ride, but it’s something I’ve thought about a lot since this premiered
The former Splash layout in particular seems like it would be hard to work with, because the space along the ride route looks quite narrow in many if not most places.

MouseEarsMom33

It's amazing to see that so many want the drop with Facilier..Here's one for example .

There were YouTube videos out right before they announced the ride with Are You Ready? Many saw what it could be, so Disney not only had to overcome Splash Mountain redo, but also this really good idea.

I've been gone for a few days. It appears the overall reviews are similar to the POV release. Is that right?

Bocabear

This is probably a personal issue, but if this was in the ride they would need another show scene after the lift and before the finale to have satisfying ending.
I think it would read as escaping from Facilier....so you escaped and made it to the party...I don't think an extra show scene would be necessary... And everyone says that Facilier is dead...but actually Facilier was dragged to the other side... he could definitely find a way back... it's not that big of a stretch... I mean we completely taske that he turned Taiana and Naveen into frogs....why could he not find a way out of "The Other Side"? It certainly would have made for a more thrilling, richer experience overall to have a little bit of tension....

JohnD

To be fair, the food co-op backstory ultimately turned out to just be background information conveyed in the queue. And having seens new videos highlighting the queue, I actually think that's the one area that's significantly better than Splash! The Tiana's Bayou Adventure queue has a lot of worldbuilding and atmosphere and backstory that has a lot of cool details you can get into while waiting in a very long line.

Including, as I've gleaned from one video, Louis was assigned procuring a band. Later in the queue, it shows that he assumes Naveen is doing it. They could have played up the story of Louis dropping the ball. Instead, we're led to think it's time to round up the band in the bayou! Come on y'all!

JohnD

Herein lies the problem.

There are plenty of problems in this ride. But I don't understand the fixation of "Gone is Princess Tiana's signature "princess" look from the film." She's not going to be wearing a princess outfit hanging out in the bayou. No princess, real or otherwise, is going to be donning a tiara and a ball gown while in the deep of the Louisiana bayou. Sheesh. She has on a glamorous dress in the finale.

Last edited:

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Nightmare fuel realized. Charlotte's animatronic is broken in the clip from the site we don't say, and it's every bit as disturbing looking as possible. Only managing to wave slightly and jerk, with her eyes stuck half shut. This is, what, the third day this thing is running nonstop? Yikes.

EW the site that shall not be named. please do NOT give him clicks

JohnD

The former Splash layout in particular seems like it would be hard to work with, because the space along the ride route looks quite narrow in many if not most places.
There's a video in the Construction Progress thread of Imagineers discussing the space in Splash and the narrow areas they had to work with. Much of the narrow areas are to accommodate guest walking paths in the event of an evacuation.

John park hopper

I feel bad for the creative team who worked on this. And it makes me sad that the first ride at Disney to star an African American character (unless I'm mistaken, I can't think of any others) is getting such an overwhelmingly negative reception on social media. I mean if people don't like it they don't like it, but I wish there was at least some acknowledgement that having a ride that features a Black princess for the first time is a good thing. I don't like to think of a kid seeing a Black princess represented in a ride for the first time and then seeing that representation getting trashed all over Youtube.

Hindsight being 20/20, I don't think Disney ever should have put Tiana on the bones of Splash. I think they set it up for failure and backlash to an extent. And again, because this ride has some cultural importance, they should have done everything possible to avoid that. (Again, hindsight being 20/20.) If it was a dark ride featuring the first Black princess, I think that aspect would have been more applauded. Splash could have been themed to Bambi, the cowboy characters from Toy Story, heck, it could have been The Muppets On The Frontier.
I really don't think it has any thing to do with the color of the characters skin --it has to do with the ride itself my first impression is it is poorly done --now my opinion may change when I ride it

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Isn't that basically what they did with Splash Mountain, too? Minus the "checking boxes by committee" part...
Yes and no. They did replace uncle Remus but the story beats of the sub-plot beats in that film essentially remain the same. Plus Disney doesn’t traditionally mix humanoid characters with cartoons for rides.

Technically the same thing is done with Roger Rabbit, too.
There are plenty of problems in this ride. But I don't understand the fixation of "Gone is Princess Tiana's signature "princess" look from the film." She's not going to wearing a princess outfit hanging out in the bayou. No princess, real or otherwise, is going to be donning a tiara and a ball gown while in the deep of the Louisiana bayou. Sheesh. She has on a glamorous dress in the finale.
Doesn’t have to be a full gown. Even if you modify the outfit’s versatility to fit the bayou setting, from a sheer marketability and recognizability standpoint I still think it makes sense to try to keep the character as close to synonymous with their in-film look as possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom