Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

Musical Mermaid

I like Tiana’s bayou adventure, but my initial thought when they announced the retheme is that they should have had Tiana at Disneyland and either Woody’s Roundup or Muppets for Disney World. It does seem that based on certain elements in the queue that is was designed for Disneyland.
Or DuckTales. I think there were episodes of that show involving the Wild West. They were constantly going on adventures too, so I think they would've been a good fit for a more adventurous ride system.

Bocabear

I feel bad for the creative team who worked on this. And it makes me sad that the first ride at Disney to star an African American character (unless I'm mistaken, I can't think of any others) is getting such an overwhelmingly negative reception on social media. I mean if people don't like it they don't like it, but I wish there was at least some acknowledgement that having a ride that features a Black princess for the first time is a good thing. I don't like to think of a kid seeing a Black princess represented in a ride for the first time and then seeing that representation getting trashed all over Youtube.

Hindsight being 20/20, I don't think Disney ever should have put Tiana on the bones of Splash. I think they set it up for failure and backlash to an extent. And again, because this ride has some cultural importance, they should have done everything possible to avoid that. (Again, hindsight being 20/20.) If it was a dark ride featuring the first Black princess, I think that aspect would have been more applauded. Splash could have been themed to Bambi, the cowboy characters from Toy Story, heck, it could have been The Muppets On The Frontier.
I love the idea that they decided to give Disney's first African American princess an attraction, but it was The creative team that made the decision to not show Tiana as a princess... she is now just a lady who runs an employee owned foods factory... that needs a band for a party....they have taken away the sweet dreaming girl we loved and replaced her with someone else... older, different dreams...changed.
They never did that to any of the other Disney Princesses... We never saw Cinderella at 35 deciding she wants to be an adventurer.... or Ariel after having kids of her own decide to open a Sailing school... The Princesses, and basically all Disney characters live in the tmelines of their stories....and should.

DisneyHead123

I love the idea that they decided to give Disney's first African American princess an attraction, but it was The creative team that made the decision to not show Tiana as a princess... she is now just a lady who runs an employee owned foods factory... that needs a band for a party....they have taken away the sweet dreaming girl we loved and replaced her with someone else... older, different dreams...changed.
They never did that to any of the other Disney Princesses... We never saw Cinderella at 35 deciding she wants to be an adventurer.... or Ariel after having kids of her own decide to open a Sailing school... The Princesses, and basically all Disney characters live in the tmelines of their stories....and should.
Yeah I'm not sure what that was about. Maybe they were trying to respond to criticism of "book report" rides? Make it more adventure-ful given the large drop? Agree that particular aspect was a miss - but wouldn't have incited such a huge backlash if it was a Fantasyland boat ride. I think the reception there would have been much more favorable.

LittleBuford

Splash Mountain was my favorite ride, but I was sympathetic to the reasons for the retheme. I thought the original attraction did a great job preserving the good aspects of SOTS while leaving behind the bad, but I also thought it was fundamentally odd to have an attraction based on a movie that's been essentially banned by the Disney company. And while I personally thought nothing in the original ride was offensive, I understand that others felt differently and I don't want to invalidate those feelings.

I thought the Princess and the Frog was a great choice for the retheme and — if executed well — it had the potential to be better than the OG Splash Mountain. The Princess and the Frog has all the ingredients for a classic E-ticket attraction. When the retheme was first announced I first felt some sadness that my favorite ride was changing, but then I pivoted to cautious excitement for a Princess and the Frog ride.

Over the years, as more details about the new project came about, I began to grow increasingly concerned as the ride seemed to be pivoting away from the Princess and the Frog film to something entirely different — with a convoluted backstory involving salt mines and food co-ops. I also was concerned that all of the marketing revolved around New Orelans research, "authenticity" and the significance of Tiana's representation instead of "fun, magic, danger, thrills!" I think authenticity and representation are both good/great things, but it shouldn't have been the focal point in the marketing of a log flume ride with a 50+ foot drop.

Ultimately I think Tiana's Bayou Adventure is decent, but it falls way short of what it could have been. It's a marvel in terms of animatronics and set design but lackluster in storytelling and providing emotional highs and lows. If people like the attraction, that's GREAT. I want people to be happy. And I genuinely think the creative team for Tiana's Bayou Adventure poured their heart and soul into the ride. I just think they missed the mark a bit.
Very well stated.

Jedi14

Yeah I'm not sure what that was about. Maybe they were trying to respond to criticism of "book report" rides? Make it more adventure-ful given the large drop? Agree that particular aspect was a miss - but wouldn't have incited such a huge backlash if it was a Fantasyland boat ride. I think the reception there would have been much more favorable.
If this was a book report, she would have even less time as a “princess.”

TDLFan

They could have made it a book report with her telling the story in each scene so she gets enough "screen time." I think the movie is one of their best even though it was considered a failure. It had so many great moments and I fear this attraction will actually scare people away from experiencing a really beautiful film. In a way, the attraction is a huge disservice to the film. Where as Splash took something ugly and found beauty within it, this attraction took out the beauty and replaced it with ugly.

Vegas Disney Fan

Agreed. This just about says it.

My opinion the cause this fell short was due to budget not creativity.
Disney always seems to underwhelm when they put new rides in old spaces.

The purpose built MMRR at DL is much better than the one shoehorned into the GMR building at HS. The purpose built Frozen in Fantasy Springs is infinitely better than the one shoehorned into the Maelstrom building at EP, the purpose built RSR at DCA is infinitely better than Test Track shoehorned into the WoM building at Epcot, etc.

It’s one of many examples of the Imagineers hands being tied, they are given a list of things the higher ups want in an existing space and told to make it work, it’s not surprising to me the results are often mediocre.

Disstevefan1

Disney always seems to underwhelm when they put new rides in old spaces.

The purpose built MMRR at DL is much better than the one shoehorned into the GMR building at HS. The purpose built Frozen in Fantasy Springs is infinitely better than the one shoehorned into the Maelstrom building at EP, the purpose built RSR at DCA is infinitely better than Test Track shoehorned into the WoM building at Epcot, etc.

It’s one of many examples of the Imagineers hands being tied, they are given a list of things the higher ups want in an existing space and told to make it work, it’s not surprising to me the results are often mediocre.
Totally agree! In the old days when I was new to Disneyparks, I rationalized to my self the replaced attractions in previous spaces because "they couldn't afford" to keep ADDING NEW attractions due to the overhead needed to run the attractions.

Today, the way I see how the company is literally "throw away money" on their movies, I do not give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

britain

Again, I recommend keeping your powder dry. If the executives see nothing but “TBA is awful!” coming out of the online community, they’ll dismiss it, because it’s probably a decent, not-as-good-as-it-once-was-but-still-fun attraction.

It will seem like there’s no pleasing any of us.

And THEN what will you do when they do something truly awful? They’ll ignore us because we can’t be nuanced.

mickEblu

Again, I recommend keeping your powder dry. If the executives see nothing but “TBA is awful!” coming out of the online community, they’ll dismiss it, because it’s probably a decent, not-as-good-as-it-once-was-but-still-fun attraction.

It will seem like there’s no pleasing any of us.

And THEN what will you do when they do something truly awful? They’ll ignore us because we can’t be nuanced.

They re the problem. Not our critiques. When thousands of people are saying the same things they should probably take note. Also the vast majority of comments are much more detailed than “it’s awful.”

Tha Realest

Implicit in the “book report” criticism is that you can conjure up a better story. Well, then you better deliver!

DisneyHead123

Implicit in the “book report” criticism is that you can conjure up a better story. Well, then you better deliver!
Agree. This story wasn't bad and while I liked it (from POV videos, haven't seen it in person,) I really don't see why they needed to cut out key elements like the iconic green dress.

JohnD

So I've seen several videos and am ready to make some commentary about my, admittedly, video only experience. There will be inevitable comparisons to Splash but only insofar as to what it did right, not to why or whether it should have been replaced.

Queue
  • Very well done. Intricate detail.
  • Two items of interest in the queue, though. A chalkboard shows that Louis was assigned getting the band. Another area shows Louis assuming that Naveen would do it. If only the ride had leaned more into this. It's not just a general round up. It's Tiana freaking out: "OMG! The party is tomorrow and we still don't have a band! Louis, you need to find a band in the bayou NOW! You should have already done this and you dropped the ball! Hurry!"
Crops Area
  • Get rid of "Tiana's Foods" banner
  • Reminds me too much of Living with the Land with all the signs in front of crops
  • Why the barren tree? Do something, anything with it. If the birdhouses must be removed, add an owl or something.
  • So one of the signs is a handwritten sign slapped over another sign saying "Shortcut to Bayou". No explanation as to why the handwritten sign is there.
Bayou
  • Sadly, this is the worst area of the entire ride. Items below in no particular order, many of which already discussed
  • Too much blank space, whether foliage or screens
  • Spread out the critters instead of three band ("bland"?) scenes in a row. You're rounding them up, remember?
  • In Splash, the first turn had birds. Add critters, like maybe the turtle here.
  • Add critters around Louis as another poster already pointed out.
  • Between the first and second band is more empty space. Could have had more critters.
  • Another poster pointed out the empty band stage in Critter Co-Op. Would have made a great set piece after the third band and before Tiana. Slap a sign on it that says, "Went to a gig", indicating they left for Tiana's party.
Lily Pad area (former Laughin' Place)
  • Overall I think they did a good job with the theming in this area
  • The shrinking and getting larger aspect is confusing. Some posted that their kids thought you become frogs which is not a bad idea. They should have leaned into that.
  • The screen with the bobbing Tiana and Louis is out of place as others have mentioned.
  • Others have pointed out that the merchandise shirt phrase, "We know a shortcut" is nowhere in the ride. Audio from the fireflies and comparable movement from them on the screens would have been a good place for this.
  • The lift hill is just a means to get larger. It's now basically an afterthought and doesn't count as a "mountain" anymore.
Finale
  • Glad the Walt welcome banner was removed. It doesn't belong and glad the banner inside was unlit. Otherwise, you would have overkill of three banners and/or signs with a variation of "Welcome".
  • Thought they did a good job with the party with the combination and screens. (The screens work here as they blend in with the AAs.) Catchy new music too.
  • The wall on the right beyond the party is another glaring missed opportunity for AAs.
General
  • The log activated AAs just don't work. Most are Tiana who looks bored until you approach her. I'm looking at you barn and final bayou Tiana!
  • You know it's a bad storyline when every AA has to explain the story to you. By contrast, in Splash, you can tell the storyline even with no audio: Brer Rabbit having fun at home, Brer Rabbit going to his happy place, Brer Fox captures Brer Rabbit (lift hill), Brer Rabbit thrown into the briar batch (final drop), Brer Rabbit celebrates being home (finale). All that can be figured out without any extra plot exposition as opposed to TBA which explains it from every line Louis, Tiana, and Mama Odie say.
  • Depending on your approach to an AA, you may not get anything and not get the aforementioned plot exposition. If you don't here Mama Odie saying to the effect "I am now shrinking you!" then what just really happened?
Such a missed opportunity. Well, I'll probably still enjoy my time riding it because it's a log flume.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Hindsight being 20/20, I don't think Disney ever should have put Tiana on the bones of Splash. I think they set it up for failure and backlash to an extent.
That's been my issue from the announcement. Unless Disney was going to throw every resource they had at it, it was not going to meet expectations for a large amount of fans. And it's not because people don't like Tiana. This reaction would be the same for any beloved attraction. If you are replacing world class, it has to be replaced by world class. Of course Disney really doesn't care, and was never concerned, what the reaction was going to be. Because when all is said and done, Tiana is going to have lines no matter what people think of the re-theme. And that's justification enough for their efforts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom