Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

JohnD

Yes and no. They did replace uncle Remus but the story beats of the sub-plot beats in that film essentially remain the same. Plus Disney doesn’t traditionally mix humanoid characters with cartoons for rides.

Technically the same thing is done with Roger Rabbit, too.

Doesn’t have to be a full gown. Even if you modify the outfit’s versatility to fit the bayou setting, from a sheer marketability and recognizability standpoint I still think it makes sense to try to keep the character as close to synonymous with their in-film look as possible.
I don't know. That's like saying in a sequel to Tarzan where he returns to the UK, he has to remain in his loincloth. If you put him in a suit, he doesn't look like he did in the movie. That's because he's wearing clothing appropriate for the location he's in. There is just so much to discuss about what they did wrong other than Imagineers' sartorial choices for Tiana.

Vclguy90

I feel bad for the creative team who worked on this. And it makes me sad that the first ride at Disney to star an African American character (unless I'm mistaken, I can't think of any others) is getting such an overwhelmingly negative reception on social media. I mean if people don't like it they don't like it, but I wish there was at least some acknowledgement that having a ride that features a Black princess for the first time is a good thing. I don't like to think of a kid seeing a Black princess represented in a ride for the first time and then seeing that representation getting trashed all over Youtube.

Hindsight being 20/20, I don't think Disney ever should have put Tiana on the bones of Splash. I think they set it up for failure and backlash to an extent. And again, because this ride has some cultural importance, they should have done everything possible to avoid that. (Again, hindsight being 20/20.) If it was a dark ride featuring the first Black princess, I think that aspect would have been more applauded. Splash could have been themed to Bambi, the cowboy characters from Toy Story, heck, it could have been The Muppets On The Frontier.
I hear you on what you're saying. You are absolutely right and all of this is panning out negatively on that subject even though it was not meant to. The issue - and should have been thought about more in-depth - is what Disney decided to replace for the representation of the subject. That was an absolutely horrible idea to replace Tiana in such an iconic and globally wellknown ride that was loved by all. Disney pretty much welcomed/quasi-induced the hate for this by unwantingly shoving her down peoples' throats when nobody asked for it - this way. Absolutely, Tiana and the representation deserves a ride but they should've given her the respect of giving her her own ride. Disney approached this in such a drastic, aggressive very poorly planned way. They wanted to cover up the roots of a mistake they made a very long time ago by replacing it with something that - people like - but nobody wanted it to replace what people love. Even if someone likes something, it doesn't mean they want it to replace what they love. They made us choose and incited a divide (seemingly, without understanding the political implications it could have pertaining to the subject matter they are trying to cover up???). The fault is not of Tiana or the subject-matter but of Disney and it being so out of touch with reality or it's consumers. I literally think there is a chance that this ride may not even open to the general public due to the massive backlash it's having. I think all this negativity is stemming from people are tired of Disney's disrespect towards the consumer (in many aspects of the company). It's a full circle - why did Disney remove one of the best rides in the world to poorly overlay it as a political agenda? And why didn't they deem her or the agenda more deserving of it's own ride system, show building, and way more thought out planning. Imagine how big of a win this would've been for Disney if they used the Beauty in the Beast ride system in a new show building specifically for Tiana with these same animatronics - while keeping splash mountain. Point being, Disney is pretty dumb now and makes no logical sense anymore.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I don't know. That's like saying in a sequel to Tarzan where he returns to the UK, he has to remain in his loincloth. If you put him in a suit, he doesn't look like he did in the movie. That's because he's wearing clothing appropriate for the location he's in. There is just so much to discuss about what they did wrong other than Imagineers' sartorial choices for Tiana.
Would it make sense to build a purpose-built Tarzan ride and have the subtext to that ride be Tarzan has returned from the UK, he’s featured in a suit now and he has a new hairstyle. Is that a wise business choice to conflate/confuse the audience? And have kids/families ask “is that Tarzan”?

The parks are supposed to be an extension of the iconography so maybe if the IP comes out in tandem people can make the connection but I agree of the examples I provided this isn’t even the most glaring one. And we’re losing the larger point.

mickEblu

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words:

Splash Mountain “You May Get Wet” Sign:

C1A50806-7140-4929-ADE1-8E7125C48EA7.jpeg

Tiana’s Bayou Adventure “You May Get Wet” sign

7EF8799E-88AA-403F-8139-2F383FFCD510.jpeg

Cmdr_Crimson

I think it would read as escaping from Facilier....so you escaped and made it to the party...I don't think an extra show scene would be necessary... And everyone says that Facilier is dead...but actually Facilier was dragged to the other side... he could definitely find a way back... it's not that big of a stretch... I mean we completely taske that he turned Taiana and Naveen into frogs....why could he not find a way out of "The Other Side"? It certainly would have made for a more thrilling, richer experience overall to have a little bit of tension....
Simple! Since he was The Shadowman he becomes the shadow he represents but, much more powerful being on the Other Side..
tumblr_mrcewnSbG61snsjmyo7_250.gif

DisneyHead123

I hear you on what you're saying. You are absolutely right and all of this is panning out negatively on that subject even though it was not meant to. The issue - and should have been thought about more in-depth - is what Disney decided to replace for the representation of the subject. That was an absolutely horrible idea to replace Tiana in such an iconic and globally wellknown ride that was loved by all. Disney pretty much welcomed/quasi-induced the hate for this by unwantingly shoving her down peoples' throats when nobody asked for it - this way. Absolutely, Tiana and the representation deserves a ride but they should've given her the respect of giving her her own ride. Disney approached this in such a drastic, aggressive very poorly planned way. They wanted to cover up the roots of a mistake they made a very long time ago by replacing it with something that - people like - but nobody wanted it to replace what people love. Even if someone likes something, it doesn't mean they want it to replace what they love. They made us choose and incited a divide (seemingly, without understanding the political implications it could have pertaining to the subject matter they are trying to cover up???). The fault is not of Tiana or the subject-matter but of Disney and it being so out of touch with reality or it's consumers. I literally think there is a chance that this ride may not even open to the general public due to the massive backlash it's having. I think all this negativity is stemming from people are tired of Disney's disrespect towards the consumer (in many aspects of the company). It's a full circle - why did Disney remove one of the best rides in the world to poorly overlay it as a political agenda? And why didn't they deem her or the agenda more deserving of it's own ride system, show building, and way more thought out planning. Imagine how big of a win this would've been for Disney if they used the Beauty in the Beast ride system in a new show building specifically for Tiana with these same animatronics - while keeping splash mountain. Point being, Disney is pretty dumb now and makes no logical sense anymore.
To be fair I can see the logic in what they were trying to do, in terms of symbolism. That’s why I said hindsight is 20/20… in hindsight I think using the Beauty and the Beast system would have been the better choice.

JohnD

Would it make sense to build a purpose-built Tarzan ride and have the subtext to that ride be Tarzan has returned from the UK, he’s featured in a suit now and he has a new hairstyle. Is that a wise business choice to conflate/confuse the audience? And have kids/families ask “is that Tarzan”?

The parks are supposed to be an extension of the iconography so maybe if the IP comes out in tandem people can make the connection but I agree of the examples I provided this isn’t even the most glaring one. And we’re losing the larger point.
I don't want to pursue this further but I'm sure others will have plenty to say that you demand that Tiana remains in her dress. Should Mickey remain shirtless with red pants and two buttons and Minnie in a polka dot dress? No, they're dressed everywhere in the parks appropriate for the occasion. To me, there is plenty wrong with the story but Tiana is appropriately dressed for the bayou.

Vclguy90

To be fair I can see the logic in what they were trying to do, in terms of symbolism. That’s why I said hindsight is 20/20… in hindsight I think using the Beauty and the Beast system would have been the better choice.
I mean, sure we all could see and respect the effort but one has to wonder how nobody at Disney saw this coming? We all saw this coming before they released the POV. We saw it coming before Splash closed. How did Disney not? What's stressing me out is that I feel Disney did forsee this but still went through with it.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

There are plenty of problems in this ride. But I don't understand the fixation of "Gone is Princess Tiana's signature "princess" look from the film." She's not going to be wearing a princess outfit hanging out in the bayou. No princess, real or otherwise, is going to be donning a tiara and a ball gown while in the deep of the Louisiana bayou. Sheesh. She has on a glamorous dress in the finale.
Agreed. It kind of reads as sexist to me. My kids didn't need my help recognizing Bayou Tiana and they'll probably want the doll or costume at some point. It's like when we had an Ariel Barbie but one of my daughters was desperate for one with Ariel with the tail.

aladdin2007

sounds like the skarsgaard legend of tarzan movie

SilentWindODoom

Including, as I've gleaned from one video, Louis was assigned procuring a band. Later in the queue, it shows that he assumes Naveen is doing it. They could have played up the story of Louis dropping the ball. Instead, we're led to think it's time to round up the band in the bayou! Come on y'all!

It's weird having seen for decades fans love the little touches and videos explaining how little Easter Eggs reveal backstory and explanations and reading people complaining about how everything is dumbed down for us today and insulting to our intelligence and now there's so many complaining that the subtle story setup in the queue should be made clear and it isn't enough. :hilarious:

Bocabear

well he negotiated with the Spirits on The Other Side to get his powers... Who's to say he didn't cme up with a negotiation to return? a promise of a boatload of souls... in exchange for his return to the living permenently.... But Mama Odie saves us as we are being taken up the lift hill to our doom....?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom