Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

MerlinTheGoat

I think is what happens in AA programming design when the figure doesn't actually have any purpose. If you look at something like Hondo at Smugglers Run, it is an effective figure because he is speaking to the audience and making a presentation, and his movement fits that role. In TBA, the AA programmers really had nothing to work with, other than to make her "look alive," which is how we end up with the flailing.
Adding to this, I'll also note that the one Tiana figure that seems more natural than the others is the one who is standing right next to some of the figures in the second critter band. Her attention and reactions are focused pretty much exclusively on two of these critters and Louis instead of the riders. And the movements they gave her feel like she's a more natural part of the scene as a result.

In the Parks
No
Adding to this, I'll also note that the one Tiana figure that seems more natural than the others is the one who is standing right next to some of the figures in the second critter band. Her attention and reactions are focused pretty much exclusively on two of these critters and Louis instead of the riders. And the movements they gave her feel like she's a more natural part of the scene as a result.
Ironically, she's also the one with the least amount of movement.

MerlinTheGoat

I’m a Splash Mountain fan who professed (rather than admitted) enjoyment of the ride and expressed concerns about the new one, and no-one criticised me for it, much less put me through the grinder.
Just because you have had a decent experience from that faction does not mean everyone else who was critical received the same treatment. And I hope Ayla's reply serves as evidence of this disparity in how people were treated. She gave YOU a polite message. But in the very same message attacked a bunch of other people and claimed they were lacking perspective in their lives and being hysterical. She's far from the only one who has posted comments like this here. I could name others. But i'm quoting this one since you brought it up as not being your experience, and she replied to your comment specifically and left some rude comments directed toward others as evidence-

Because you've been level-headed and non-hysterical about it. Some people really need to get some perspective in their lives.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Just because you have had a decent experience from that faction does not mean everyone else who was critical received the same treatment. And I hope Ayla's reply serves as evidence of this disparity in how people were treated. She gave YOU a polite message. But in the very same message attacked a bunch of other people and claimed they were lacking perspective in their lives and being hysterical. She's far from the only one who has posted comments like this here. I could name others. But i'm quoting this one since you brought it up as not being your experience, and she replied to your comment specifically and left some rude comments directed towards others-
My point was that, as a Splash fan, I reject—and am indeed sick of—the narrative that we have somehow been unfairly treated. It’s something repeatedly stated by those unwilling to consider what other factors may have led to their being “run through the grinder”. No-one has received criticism merely for liking Splash and/or disliking Tiana.

LittleBuford

I think that's because you very often came across as someone who was defending the retheme. Even the fact that you're trying to prove the statement wrong by saying you're a "Splash Mountain fan" appears to be trying to undercut what @SuddenStorm is saying.
That’s because some here insisted on an either/or framing that made it seem impossible both to love Splash passionately and to understand why it was being rethemed. Those two positions are in no way mutually exclusive, and if one appears to undercut the other, that’s entirely in the eye (and mind) of the beholder.

I definitely felt like it was taboo to express concerns about the new one.
It really wasn’t. I have posted multiple criticisms of the salt-dome nonsense, the co-op backstory, and the signage. Others did too without receiving any backlash.

What some here don’t seem to realise is that it’s the ideological framing of their criticisms, and not their criticisms per se, that earned them negative reactions. When someone couches their remarks in terms of “agendas” and other charged talking points, it’s clear that their discontents go well beyond the retheme.

erasure fan1

I'm amazed this turned out like this. I really thought that with all the negative reaction to Splash closing, Disney would have given this project to their best people, given it a hefty Tokyo sized budget, and really would have proven the public wrong.
I was hopeful. With splash mountain being my favorite ride since I first rode it's opening year. And Princess and the frog being one of my favorite WDAS films. A film I've championed since it's release that it would make a great ride. My expectations were extremely high. Unfortunately the last thing I felt was amazed at how it turned out. It's pretty much exactly what I would expect from current Disney. I was really hoping I would have to eat crow on this one.

Disstevefan1

I'm amazed this turned out like this. I really thought that with all the negative reaction to Splash closing, Disney would have given this project to their best people, given it a hefty Tokyo sized budget, and really would have proven the public wrong. It was the only option.
There's Tokyo sized budgets and there are WDW sized budgets. Two very differently things.
I am sure there were budget cuts to this attraction.

Who knows, maybe they will add some more animatronics to the dark spots over time. There is no risk to hurt the story since there is no story.

Honestly, I think the most important thing we all need to do as a community is be more empathetic towards one another. It’s okay to love splash, heck, I loved splash like it was an old friend, and it’s okay to not like TBA, but it’s also okay to like TBA or think that it could have been worse. Everyone has the right to their own opinions and we should all respect one another’s opinions, although you may not agree with them. I for one, felt slightly upset that I poured my heart and soul into my comments about Splash and TBA only to have what I thought about it be questioned. Obviously that may have not been the intention and it may have been someone honestly curious as to why I felt the way I did. But I did feel a bit frustrated at having to defend myself and my opinion. Like look, I am very critical of the ride, but that’s only because I care for it so much and I really want the best out of it but that doesn’t mean that I’m going to outright hate it because I’m so critical of it, because honestly, I don’t. I am sorry if anyone else out there feels or felt like I did, this should be a place of honest discussion where everyone’s opinions should feel heard, not just a place for others to pick apart one another’s opinion. And I’m sorry if this rant is more about my personal feelings and experiences, I just felt like it needed to be said. Let’s all try to put the right foot forward, and try to have a good honest discussion about what we like and dislike about TBA. Thank you for reading.

Ghost93

Splash Mountain was my favorite ride, but I was sympathetic to the reasons for the retheme. I thought the original attraction did a great job preserving the good aspects of SOTS while leaving behind the bad, but I also thought it was fundamentally odd to have an attraction based on a movie that's been essentially banned by the Disney company. And while I personally thought nothing in the original ride was offensive, I understand that others felt differently and I don't want to invalidate those feelings.

I thought the Princess and the Frog was a great choice for the retheme and — if executed well — it had the potential to be better than the OG Splash Mountain. The Princess and the Frog has all the ingredients for a classic E-ticket attraction. When the retheme was first announced I first felt some sadness that my favorite ride was changing, but then I pivoted to cautious excitement for a Princess and the Frog ride.

Over the years, as more details about the new project came about, I began to grow increasingly concerned as the ride seemed to be pivoting away from the Princess and the Frog film to something entirely different — with a convoluted backstory involving salt mines and food co-ops. I also was concerned that all of the marketing revolved around New Orelans research, "authenticity" and the significance of Tiana's representation instead of "fun, magic, danger, thrills!" I think authenticity and representation are both good/great things, but it shouldn't have been the focal point in the marketing of a log flume ride with a 50+ foot drop.

Ultimately I think Tiana's Bayou Adventure is decent, but it falls way short of what it could have been. It's a marvel in terms of animatronics and set design but lackluster in storytelling and providing emotional highs and lows. If people like the attraction, that's GREAT. I want people to be happy. And I genuinely think the creative team for Tiana's Bayou Adventure poured their heart and soul into the ride. I just think they missed the mark a bit.

Disstevefan1

Honestly, I think the most important thing we all need to do as a community is be more empathetic towards one another. It’s okay to love splash, heck, I loved splash like it was an old friend, and it’s okay to not like TBA, but it’s also okay to like TBA or think that it could have been worse. Everyone has the right to their own opinions and we should all respect one another’s opinions, although you may not agree with them. I for one, felt slightly upset that I poured my heart and soul into my comments about Splash and TBA only to have what I thought about it be questioned. Obviously that may have not been the intention and it may have been someone honestly curious as to why I felt the way I did. But I did feel a bit frustrated at having to defend myself and my opinion. Like look, I am very critical of the ride, but that’s only because I care for it so much and I really want the best out of it but that doesn’t mean that I’m going to outright hate it because I’m so critical of it, because honestly, I don’t. I am sorry if anyone else out there feels or felt like I did, this should be a place of honest discussion where everyone’s opinions should feel heard, not just a place for others to pick apart one another’s opinion. And I’m sorry if this rant is more about my personal feelings and experiences, I just felt like it needed to be said. Let’s all try to put the right foot forward, and try to have a good honest discussion about what we like and dislike about TBA. Thank you for reading.
No one should take anything posted on this site personal, some folks are passionate and some are (sadly rude) but that only proves humans are posing here and not AI.

We must remember, this is just a fun discussion forum and nothing we say on these board make and difference in TWDC and in the world.

DisneyHead123

And I genuinely think the creative team for Tiana's Bayou Adventure poured their heart and soul into the ride.
I feel bad for the creative team who worked on this. And it makes me sad that the first ride at Disney to star an African American character (unless I'm mistaken, I can't think of any others) is getting such an overwhelmingly negative reception on social media. I mean if people don't like it they don't like it, but I wish there was at least some acknowledgement that having a ride that features a Black princess for the first time is a good thing. I don't like to think of a kid seeing a Black princess represented in a ride for the first time and then seeing that representation getting trashed all over Youtube.

Hindsight being 20/20, I don't think Disney ever should have put Tiana on the bones of Splash. I think they set it up for failure and backlash to an extent. And again, because this ride has some cultural importance, they should have done everything possible to avoid that. (Again, hindsight being 20/20.) If it was a dark ride featuring the first Black princess, I think that aspect would have been more applauded. Splash could have been themed to Bambi, the cowboy characters from Toy Story, heck, it could have been The Muppets On The Frontier.

Disstevefan1

Wasn't this one of the rare projects that got an increase in budget as they went along rather than cuts?
I do not know what the numbers were, if they were increased or not, I think there was some talk about increasing budgets, I don't know. the facts. I am just guessing what we have now here was due to budget cuts.

Who knows, maybe they had a bigger budget and spent it in the wrong places like research trips etc.?

Jedi14

I feel bad for the creative team who worked on this. And it makes me sad that the first ride at Disney to star an African American character (unless I'm mistaken, I can't think of any others) is getting such an overwhelmingly negative reception on social media. I mean if people don't like it they don't like it, but I wish there was at least some acknowledgement that having a ride that features a Black princess for the first time is a good thing. I don't like to think of a kid seeing a Black princess represented in a ride for the first time and then seeing that representation getting trashed all over Youtube.

Hindsight being 20/20, I don't think Disney ever should have put Tiana on the bones of Splash. I think they set it up for failure and backlash to an extent. And again, because this ride has some cultural importance, they should have done everything possible to avoid that. (Again, hindsight being 20/20.) If it was a dark ride featuring the first Black princess, I think that aspect would have been more applauded. Splash could have been themed to Bambi, the cowboy characters from Toy Story, heck, it could have been The Muppets On The Frontier.
I like Tiana’s bayou adventure, but my initial thought when they announced the retheme is that they should have had Tiana at Disneyland and either Woody’s Roundup or Muppets for Disney World. It does seem that based on certain elements in the queue that is was designed for Disneyland.

Disney Analyst

I think is what happens in AA programming design when the figure doesn't actually have any purpose. If you look at something like Hondo at Smugglers Run, it is an effective figure because he is speaking to the audience and making a presentation, and his movement fits that role. In TBA, the AA programmers really had nothing to work with, other than to make her "look alive," which is how we end up with the flailing.

Firmly agree.

I was thinking the Mill House AA should have a clipboard or something, taking notes or counting items hung behind them, or something, and then turns around to greet the riders like “oh hey, we are just finishing up for the party, go meet Louis!”

Give her action before the interaction.

J.E.Smith

If it was a dark ride featuring the first Black princess, I think that aspect would have been more applauded. Splash could have been themed to Bambi, the cowboy characters from Toy Story, heck, it could have been The Muppets On The Frontier.
I know Disney would have went with a movie IP, but they also could have themed it to the Country Bears and made it a flume version of Grizzly River Run or the Grizzly Mountain Railcarts or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom