Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

Disney Analyst

True but how on earth did they think that was good enough to make it into the ride and then get filmed for the POV they released? Replacing it with nothing would be 100x better.

Broadway is the pinnacle of theatre, millions are invested in shows... and some just fail, and have bad creative choices that don't work.

I think people have to face that regardless of the pedigree, Disney rides are created by humans, and they can make creative mistakes, or think something looks good on paper, or in smaller screen tests, and then doesn't look good once implemented. It's not as if this was the first time in their history that a ride was built that could be tweaked and adjusted.

The real question becomes, do they realize, and will they work on a future fix?

mickEblu

Broadway is the pinnacle of theatre, millions are invested in shows... and some just fail, and have bad creative choices that don't work.

I think people have to face that regardless of the pedigree, Disney rides are created by humans, and they can make creative mistakes, or think something looks good on paper, or in smaller screen tests, and then doesn't look good once implemented. It's not as if this was the first time in their history that a ride was built that could be tweaked and adjusted.

The real question becomes, do they realize, and will they work on a future fix?

I agree with the sentiment but this is egregious. That scene is just incompetence. The team was just not good enough. Maybe it’s hard to retrofit one of the most popular attractions of all time especially when you have constraints (some that are self imposed) like not being able to use the best characters/ songs from the movie and having to do it all in existing infrastructure. With all of that said, there is no excuse for some of these things like the scene in question or some of the signage. Then let’s not forget they chose to film a POV and share it with the world a month before the ride opened. That means they were proud of it or at least found it passable. Not sure why some people just can’t call a spade a spade.

mickEblu

Like they really replaced the vultures with a screen with Mama Odies face. They thought that was ok because they added an AA at the top of the lift hill. That’s not how things work when you are following up a fan favorite classic. You need to add quality where there wasn’t and at least keep it the same where there was.

Then they left the rider to figure out how they re supposed to be feeling until they get to the top of the lift hill. Happiness and celebration was never going to work here. You’re crawling up a lifthill where people are naturally feeling scared/ nervous etc. They needed to either play up the CELEBRATION aspect big time (and pray) or my recommendation would which would be to go with an almost an ethereal, magical route (if Facilier / shadows wasn’t an option). Lots of fog, lots of crazy lighting/ special effects and some trippy music.

Sorcerer Mickey

I agree with the sentiment but this is egregious. That scene is just incompetence. The team was just not good enough. Maybe it’s hard to retrofit one of the most popular attractions of all time especially when you have constraints (some that are self imposed) like not being able to use the best characters/ songs from the movie and having to do it all in existing infrastructure. With all of that said, there is no excuse for some of these things like the scene in question or some of the signage. Then let’s not forget they chose to film a POV and share it with the world a month before the ride opened. That means they were proud of it or at least found it passable. Not sure why some people just can’t call a spade a spade.
The ride looks a good deal better than what I imagined it would turn out to be four years ago when it was announced. But we're all grown adults here expressing disappointment in an attraction based on a children's movie. Let's not forget this.

My major gripe is the quality of the POV released by Disney themselves. Was that shot on an iPhone? I had to double check that it was official. Universal's Velociraptor POV was beautiful whereas this seemed very...last minute.

Captain Neo

So it's been reported that several banners have been taken down. I think the banner above the barn and the banner just before you go into the final scene. Is this accurate? Is there a more recent POV video that shows this? I

The fact that they were even put up in the first place shows current Imagineering has no clue what they are doing.

Baxter and Rhode should be immediately rehired and they should bring in some new blood with interesting engineering and design ideas to spearhead a revival of WDI. Right now it’s a bunch of underpaid fresh out of college engineers who just operate as corporate drones for upper management.

mickEblu

The fact that they were even put up in the first place shows current Imagineering has no clue what they are doing.

Baxter and Rhode should be immediately rehired and they should bring in some new blood with interesting engineering and design ideas to spearhead a revival of WDI. Right now it’s a bunch of underpaid fresh out of college engineers who just operate as corporate drones for upper management.

👆🏼

WorldExplorer

Then they left the rider to figure out how they re supposed to be feeling until they get to the top of the lift hill. Happiness and celebration was never going to work here. You’re crawling up a lifthill where people are naturally feeling scared/ nervous etc. They needed to either play up the CELEBRATION aspect big time (and pray) or my recommendation would which would be to go with an almost an ethereal, magical route (if Facilier / shadows wasn’t an option). Lots of fog, lots of crazy lighting/ special effects and some trippy music.

When I first watched the video, I thought they were implying the drop was the spell to make us bigger, like how the smaller drop was the spell to make us small. Which isn't as good as before, but at least made some sense and seemed much better than any other alternative we seemed to be heading towards.

But then I saw the full sized Odie animatronic and realized, no, they really are trying to play it like the party just happens to be over there, forty feet below us.

The magical route could have worked, at least better than what they have now. Chuck in some laughter and a line like "hold on, now, this spell's going to be much BIGGER".

Surferboy567

Original Poster
When I first watched the video, I thought they were implying the drop was the spell to make us bigger, like how the smaller drop was the spell to make us small. Which isn't as good as before, but at least made some sense and seemed much better than any other alternative we seemed to be heading towards.

But then I saw the full sized Odie animatronic and realized, no, they really are trying to play it like the party just happens to be over there, forty feet below us.
No it’s the spell, on the way up Odie says something to the effect of “let’s get you big again, the bigger you are the bigger the splash”

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Then I don't understand why she's the same size as us at the top. I was under the impression that going UP is the spell, not the drop.
Ya know what, I hadn’t thought of that. She isn’t the same size as us when we are going up. Maybe all that mist on the way up is the spell? Then at the top she’s human sized. I originally thought it all was and we “got big” going down but maybe you’re right.

Now I’m not sure myself.

Tha Realest

The initial part of the lift where you see the lights similar to the shrinking part is the growing. After that, she’s sending us to the party.
The head angle seems wrong. It’s like she’s looking at a log that would be at her eye level…if we were shrunk down to size, and at/below water level, wouldn’t she be bending down to look at us?

Ice Gator

Is it just me, or is that Tiana animatronic in the bayou kind of spooky-looking?
What’s spooky is that scene after the “Take You There” segment where it’s dead silent and Tiana is just sitting there waiting for you. Nearly pitch black, nothing going on. Just crickets chirping until you get to the drop.

On days when that animatronic is broken down or glitching, it’s going to be nightmare fuel.

The placement of that scene just doesn’t fit. I would have preferred something like that at the very end of the ride when things have calmed down- where Mama Odi and Juju are.

splah

my favorite little detail that i will use as a symbol for the entire project is the fact they couldn't be bothered to shave off some of the rockwork in the ceiling to create the full vortex...

1717640530457.png

1717640566925.png

Runner up's include the fact that none of the animals are on beat with the music (and their design is too real(?) they lack charm, the features are sharp the cats and fox look like furries. [i take issue with the chimps on the jungle cruise too, they're terrifying])

a lot of the story issues could be resolved with some dialogue changes like others suggested. also we riders didn't do anything, we didn't help in anyway. i'd rather watch a story unfold than pretend that i had some hand in it when clearly i didn't

mickEblu

my favorite little detail that i will use as a symbol for the entire project is the fact they couldn't be bothered to shave off some of the rockwork in the ceiling to create the full vortex...

View attachment 789749
View attachment 789750

Runner up's include the fact that none of the animals are on beat with the music (and their design is too real(?) they lack charm, the features are sharp the cats and fox look like furries. [i take issue with the chimps on the jungle cruise too, they're terrifying])

a lot of the story issues could be resolved with some dialogue changes like others suggested. also we riders didn't do anything, we didn't help in anyway. i'd rather watch a story unfold than pretend that i had some hand in it when clearly i didn't

All great points and it got me thinking of something else. They re not singing either. On Splash all the animals were singing along to the songs. Here we have Tiana, Ray etc singing songs from the movie but nobody is singing along. There is a disconnect there. It's a little strange to have a soundtrack with vocals on an attraction like this but nobody is singing along. Are there any other examples like this? The Pirates sing Yo Ho, the ghosts sing Grim Grinning Ghosts, the ol America Sings animals used to be singing along. Here, we have animals playing to a recorded version of a song with a dead firefly singing? Who is singing all the songs not named "Special Spice."

Man, the more we talk about this the more dumbfounded I become.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

It's just like modern Disney to not include my two favorite songs from PatF on the attraction

Friends on the Other Side
When We're Human

If I like something it's a good indication Disney is either removing it or not including it. Almost full proof at this point.

Dude, my two favorite things in Anaheim were the original version of Fantasmic! and Splash Mountain. Both have been gutted.

And their replacements pale in comparison to what they replaced.

It's like Disney is trying to cheapen their parks.

WorldExplorer

Epcot's constant meaningless nods while actively destroying the place has completely gutted my enjoyment of "Easter eggs". Any nods in this just tick me off more.

Splash Mountain was treated horribly in its last years. The time to honor it came and went. References just come across like a cookie cutter thing they do because they expect it to soothe fans.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom