Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
As @GhostHost1000 just mentioned, the original rumored budget for this attraction was about half, if not less than what they did spend. It was originally rumored to be very screen heavy, I truly think WDI "pulled out all the stops" in their eyes. Take that as you will.
Can you imagine the backlash if this was half of what it is now, considering a lot of negative reviews today

MagicHappens1971

Can you imagine the backlash if this was half of what it is now, considering a lot of negative reviews now
Yeah. I'm overall pretty happy with the retheme, I think it falls flat in a few spots, but am also holding full judgement until I can see it in person as I feel the video Disney posted was kinda choppy in some places. It's also hard to judge something through a screen, I am looking forward to riding Tiana's either way. At the end of the day, that's what Disney is banking on anyway, little children saying "Mommy I want to ride Tiana's!!!" and then following that up with plush purchases in Tiana's General Store.

Tom Morrow

This is what happens when you have no tension or over arching antagonist of any kind. SNOOZE FEST
There are plenty of rides that are considered classics that don't have either.

Attractions do not need a narrative - there are plenty of examples of attractions without narratives that succeed. But what they DO need is flow and pacing.

The flow and pacing of the scenes in TBA are... not great. Whatever narrative they're trying to sell through the lifeless dialogue only makes it worse.

That said, Splash being a thrill ride that builds up to the big drop pretty much lends itself to a story with an antagonist/threat. A ride where it's just a vibe and not a narrative is better suited for traditional dark rides and not rides with thrill elements.

Bleed0range

They don't want to bring back Dr Facilier since his character is gone....Yet we hear Raymond singing and his character is gone. :banghead:
anigif_enhanced-893-1602805128-14.gif

We could have made a "wrong turn in the bayou" and stumble across the shadow man's caverns as he's about to cast a spell on us ascending the lift to "are you ready?" But, somehow the spell backfires on him as you decend into the falls..

This is my only real gripe with the ride. The final lift hill lost its tension, conflict… it’s not scary. It should be scary it’s the final big drop! All good stories need some kind of conflict.

It was also obvious as hell. It fit perfectly. The whole ride could be nearly the same just changing the last little bit of it to be more frightening would make a world of difference.

I think that’s my only real disappointment with the ride.

Disneyland should take the feedback and delay opening long enough to correct this and make their version unique. Maybe add in a few other things in some “blank” spots.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
They don't want to bring back Dr Facilier since his character is gone....Yet we hear Raymond singing and his character is gone. :banghead:
anigif_enhanced-893-1602805128-14.gif

We could have made a "wrong turn in the bayou" and stumble across the shadow man's caverns as he's about to cast a spell on us ascending the lift to "are you ready?" But, somehow the spell backfires on him as you decend into the falls..
Let him succeed he “gets us” at the Laughin place pulls us into the other side. Then up the lift we go friends playing and all the voodoo masks. At the last minute we are saved by odie going down the drop as the last stitch effort of escape.

Finale is dig a little deeper though secret spice isn’t awful. Dig is better though.

HonorableMention

I’m curious what will be different in the DL version. I already noticed that the AA of Tiana sitting on the log with Louis stuck is split into two here, with her sitting on a stump and him separately stuck.

Wasn’t there a rumor that the retheme was originally designed with DL in mind?

Thelazer

I just watched the POV. What a disaster. My goodness. The empty spaces. The awkward flow. The dialogue telling us “let’s go to the party” or “let’s find the band”over and over. Whoever said Frozen 2.0 Disney Junior or whatever was spot on. Far below my rock bottom expectations. Incredible.
That got me to on that dialogue.

trainplane3

I'll preface this as being someone kinda bummed about Splash Mountain closing. Never rode it much but still liked it. Heard some interesting stuff about Tiana's and was looking forward to it.

- What's the story on this ride? I'm very tired of the whole "we got to do this thing and it aLl GoEs WrOnG" stuff Disney does on their latest rides but there has to be a story on this one?
- It feels like there's more empty spots? Again, didn't ride SM much but the POV feels that way?

Definitely not terrible but I'm actually just confused.

mightynine

I’m curious what will be different in the DL version. I already noticed that the AA of Tiana sitting on the log with Louis stuck is split into two here, with her sitting on a stump and him separately stuck.

Wasn’t there a rumor that the retheme was originally designed with DL in mind?

Having ridden DL’s, if you told me this retheme was made for it, and then they had to stretch things out for WDW, I would buy it.

DL’s had a much quicker pace, IMO, compared to WDW, but maybe we didn’t have enough weight in the flume to slow things down! 😄

MagicHappens1971

I'll preface this as being someone kinda bummed about Splash Mountain closing. Never rode it much but still liked it. Heard some interesting stuff about Tiana's and was looking forward to it.

- What's the story on this ride? I'm very tired of the whole "we got to do this thing and it aLl GoEs WrOnG" stuff Disney does on their latest rides but there has to be a story on this one?
Tiana's throwing a party and we're looking for the "Special Spice" to make it complete? I believe is the jist, the critters get introduced and then invited as part of the band, then Mama Odie shrinks us down to look for the special spice? Whether or not we find it was kinda lost on me in the POV video.

Ghost93

Let him succeed he “gets us” at the Laughin place pulls us into the other side. Then up the lift we go friends playing and all the voodoo masks. At the last minute we are saved by odie going down the drop as the last stitch effort of escape.

Finale is dig a little deeper though secret spice isn’t awful. Dig is better though.
I like Secret Spice as a song more, but "Dig a Little Deeper" would still work better as a finale as it's a bigger song.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I like Secret Spice as a song more, but "Dig a Little Deeper" would still work better as a finale as it's a bigger song.
Like I said spice isn’t bad. I actually enjoy it and think it works well in the attraction. Dig is just the obvious choice if I’m designing a PATF ride from scratch.

Ghost93

From what I can tell the story is:

Tiana wants to throw a party. Instead of hiring a band of human performers like a sensible person, she goes into the Bayou with Louis to recruit critters who play instruments to perform in her party. Mama Odie shrinks us into tiny people so that we can better communicate with fireflies and recruit them to join the party. Then Mama Odie unshrinks us and we all celebrate.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
From what I can tell the story is:

Tiana wants to throw a party. Instead of hiring a band of human performers like a sensible person, she goes into the Bayou with Louis to recruit critters who play instruments to perform in her party. Mama Odie shrinks us into tiny people so that we can better communicate with fireflies and recruit them to join the part. Then Mama Odie unshrinks us and we all celebrate.
That’s the most concise summary I’ve read.

Instead of hiring a band of human performers like a sensible person, she goes into the Bayou with Louis to recruit critters who play instruments to perform in her party.
Also found this super funny it’s so true.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Oh my gosh, this is worse than I thought. I feel 100% justified in my fears for this attraction. Large amounts of dead space, a storyline that has ZERO stakes whatsoever. To each their own, but this is not my cup of tea.

It's so DARK in there. One of the reasons I liked MK's version of the previous ride better than DL's was that it took place in the daytime. My nephews are going to be terrified on this ride, and the PBS Kids dialogue doesn't help. There are also moments where the animatronics are just staring at you for a beat too long.

The CGI stinks. The limited-motion figures (which, to be clear, they're counting as animatronics) are almost insulting, considering what has now been scrapped.

Yikes, I was hopeful my soon-to-be 8 yr old niece would enjoy this, but this is bad. Really bad.

Ghost93

Even if they didn't want to bring back Dr. Facillier or the Friends on the Other Side, the story needed at least SOME type of conflict. Maybe we are running late to the party and the bayou is a short cut? Maybe we took a wrong turn into a dangerous part of the bayou and the drop was are way back on track?

But this story has no rising action or climax. It's just flat from start to finish. I think they could easily retool the ride without major expenses. Just change some of the dialogue and rework the lead up to the drop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom