Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

mickEblu

Well consider me whelemed. About 40 figures in total (notice how I didn’t say animatronics.)

The Good:
-interior bayou loooks great! foliage team did a great job
-all Tiana and Louis figures are top notch, clearly no expense was spared
-I like the concept of getting shrunk down and the frogs behind huge
-music on the interior is lovely, love the different arrangements of ‘Going Down the Bayou’
-finale room has a great vibe, love the colors and figure finishes
-all figures look great! especially the T-800s A-1000s

The Bad:
-vocal tracks on the front pond and the outdoor garden portion scream Six Flags to me
-every critter band figure has 1-2 axis of motion…
-the interior scenes are way too spread out, especially when the critter bands are all squished together
-Laughing Place looks so empty and devoid of kenetics
-finale (while beautiful) is filled with exact copies of figures we’ve already seen with nothing new…
-why do they need to over explain every… little… thing
-lift hill is… yea

They should’ve cut the first Tiana in the barn + the initial Louis figure in the first interior show scene and built more incidental musical critters that start out hiding in the bushes but as you pick up more band members they join in on the fun. Also seems crazy to me that you have a shrinking section but don’t have a single giant firefly? Could’ve had a few bobbing up and down in the cave to add some more interest. Bottom of the main lift should’ve been shadow demons swirling around you chanting “Are You Ready,” could’ve kept Mama Odie at the top to send you out of danger.

This is bare minimum what it should have been. What was this team doing besides working on fancy AAs?

mickEblu

Welp.

Lackluster.

Underwhelming.

Boring (wow, Iger was *apparently* right about something for once).

Bare-bones.

Huge stretches of nothing where lovable singing animals used to be.

The ride's storyline is typical of today's Imagineers - who have no idea how to tell a compelling story.

The finale is meh as hell. Damn few critters, big rubber humanoid dolls, no steamboat, no Award-winning song.

And three (shudder) Mama Odies. Gross.

This is a disaster, especially compared to the original. Worse than I expected, and I sure didn't expect much.

Tokyo Disneyland, don't you DARE change your wonderful Splash Mountain to this heap of failure. You've got the GOOD version.

Jeez, what a flop.

Honest to God I didn’t think it was possible to not match my extremely low expectations.

Nland316

The storyline and flow are actually really nice. I still think I would’ve preferred a Book Report esque version, but definitely don’t mind the direction they went. The scenery is gorgeous. A bit empty in some spots, but I think it works for this attraction.

My main standout thought:

- Why is Ray’s singing voice heard if this is a sequel to the movie? This isn’t a complaint from my end since I actually prefer this this, but it kinda throws out any argument they had for Facilier not being in the ride.

- Even though the song renditions are great, I kind of wish it had bolder sounding arrangements in some areas. When you hear Splash’s soundtrack (specifically on the DL side) it has “grand” and “zippy” moments opposed to where Tiana’s is more “mellow” sounding I guess? I would’ve loved an over the top show moment for Dig a Little Deeper the way it is in the movie for instance.

- I really wish they played Dig a Little Deeper all the way until you actually drop. Keep the momentum going. Mama Odie could’ve given story dialogue prior.

- Social media comments prove my point — not having Facilier / Friends From the Other Side on the ride was really a loss.

- I’m predicting I will like DL’s version more. Their faster ride system will add some fun energy.

Overall I think the attraction is beautiful, and a pretty solid upgrade from Splash. Splash of course is iconic, but this is a worthy successor. You could prefer Splash, but it doesn’t deserve the gross levels of racially motivated scrutiny that we see.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Even taking comparisons to its predecessor out of the equation (I know it's difficult), there are just so many lull spots. Baffling! The dialogue is reductive and repetitive, like an episode of Dora the Explorer. It's so bad! I wanted to be wrong. I wanted this thing to work... There are clearly some bright spots. I actually like most of the projections and the plot is OK. If only there were more to see, the pacing wouldn't feel off. In a word, Boring!

Clearly aimed at the littleuns. But I'm now wondering if this darkness of the bayou and the nothingness between scenes isn't going to scare them. Such a mess.
So many lull spots - and that’s with some generous editing!

Vegas Disney Fan

The crazy thing about that POV is it came directly from Disney, it should have been a highlights reel to hype up how amazing the new ride is and it felt lackluster.

It looks like it’ll be a good ride but that’s not enough when you’re replacing one of the most iconic rides ever made, that was very underwhelming, my first impression is they really dropped the ball on this one. They should have left Splash alone, they spend untold millions to make it worse.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
- Why is Ray’s singing voice heard if this is a sequel to the movie? This isn’t a complaint from my end since I actually prefer this this, but it kinda throws out any argument they had for Facilier not being in the ride.
I thought this the entire time I was watching the ride. Love Ray, but really throws out the reason for Facilier.

MerlinTheGoat

If you take Splash out of the equation and just think of this as a new ride, this is so much better than Navi .
The only reason this ride is better than Navi is BECAUSE it used to be Splash. People aren't just going to pretend that another much better ride didn't exist before it.

And i'm far more receptive to Navi than Tiana because it's NOT a replacement, but an addition. It can better stand on its own. There are certainly flaws with it even on its own merits (and Tiana has TONS of flaws even on its own merits as well), but with Navi no one can say "this is worse than what it replaced". It at worst, elicits vague boredom and disappointment, not anger and sadness on top of that though.

bwr827

Story is simple and makes sense from start to finish. Gonna have a party and need to gather up a band.

I thought they would play up the search for us tiny people more.

And still can’t detect belly movement on the gator.

duncedoof

There's a lot of exciting things that could've been extracted from the Princess and the Frog. And none of it is here. So much dead space.

Amazing new figures that you unfortunately don't even get to see much that seemingly sacrificed budget for other elements

Brer Panther

Just gonna repost my thoughts from another thread...

...yep, it's about what I expected. I was starting to think maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but nope. All my expectations were met.

All of Splash Mountain's animatronics removed (you couldn't keep the Swamp Boys, at least?). Animatronics (aside from the ones of the main characters) on par with the ones from the Little Mermaid ride (though at least these animatronics don't look so plastic-y). Long stretches where animatronics once sat now just empty. A weak plot. No tension whatsoever. Ugly CGI animation on screens. So, not only did we lose Splash Mountain, we also lost the chance for a Princess and the Frog attraction that's actually, y'know, good. Huzzah.

I'm still amused that Naveen is a non-entity. I thought they got Bruno Campos back, but I didn't hear Naveen say anything. The new characters, who got so much focus in the promotional material, don't even SPEAK. They're basically non-entities. And I still think the part where we get shrunken down is stupid.

This was not worth the constant bickering, feuding, and discord that ensued from the second this retheme was announced. But hey, at least it's better than the Ratatouille ride.
I'm surprised people are surprised by this - in the world of Tiana's Bayou Adventure she isn't a hand drawn character, she's a real, living, breathing person. Having her or others show up as a hand drawn animation in that world wouldn't make sense for what the ride is trying to achieve.
It works in the Alice in Wonderland ride at Disneyland.

As for why they used CGI, it's probably because Disney gutted most of their hand-drawn animation after the very movie that this ride is kinda sorta based on came out and "underperformed" at the box office. Eric Goldberg's still there, though... maybe he refused to take part in this?
I'm trying to avoid full POVs til I go in July, but I need to know: does Naveen appear in the ride outside of the finale?
No. At least I didn't see Naveen in anything but the finale.
I know we like to say the GP or more casual fans will eat everything up but is there a chance that even they are disappointed with this retheme? It’s crazy but I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility.
Most of the comments for the POV of YouTube were negative, if nothing else.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Story is simple and makes sense from start to finish. Gonna have a party and need to gather up a band.

I thought they would play up the search for us tiny people more.

And still can’t detect belly movement on the gator.
Maybe Disney's trolling us and the final attraction will come with flashlights à la Monsters, Inc. Ride & Go Seek where we have to find the band members hiding in the bayou.

tanc

After looking, there does appear to be a firefly effect, my mistake. But the CGI part in the laughing place just looks so off putting. The overall empty space filled with trees and what not just doesn't do it for me either. I don't know, I'm sure kids will be glad to see Tiana but there's not much there for me personally. I will say, it looks gorgeous at night so I think that's a positive. Hilariously, the new frog animatronic in the laughing place isn't even touching the drums below him too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom