Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I think is what happens in AA programming design when the figure doesn't actually have any purpose. If you look at something like Hondo at Smugglers Run, it is an effective figure because he is speaking to the audience and making a presentation, and his movement fits that role. In TBA, the AA programmers really had nothing to work with, other than to make her "look alive," which is how we end up with the flailing.
TBA just has so many amateurish moments like this that I think is made worse by how stunning the surrounding environments and the AAs themselves are. Just strange that they could craft such a wonderful setting, sparing no expense on so much of the ride but completely mess up the basics of this art form to such a degree.

Rise proved to me that modern Imagineering is capable of crafting a brilliantly immersive story, executing everything flawlessly from the basics of AA movement like you mentioned to the actual story.

It’s all the more puzzling given the massive spotlight this project had. My guess is fingers are going to be pointed.
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words:

Splash Mountain “You May Get Wet” Sign:

View attachment 790033

Tiana’s Bayou Adventure “You May Get Wet” sign

View attachment 790034
Genuinely the first thing that stood out to me when I watched Steve’s POV. Pretty much foreshadowed what was to come.

Last edited:

rct247

Cast Member friend invited me to their preview. The Disney POV didn't really do the ride justice. The story and setting is still weak, but the ride is better in person than through any POV video. I still enjoyed it. I think they still could have done better with a book report version. The animatronics, music, and scenery were all very pretty.

SilentWindODoom

Cast Member friend invited me to their preview. The Disney POV didn't really do the ride justice. The story and setting is still weak, but the ride is better in person than through any POV video. I still enjoyed it. I think they still could have done better with a book report version. The animatronics, music, and scenery were all very pretty.

I'm intrigued what you mean by "the setting". A lot of people who suggest it's better in person are saying the immersiveness is beyond what can be experienced through YouTube. Did you find it less so, or by "setting" do you mean the way it fits the outdoor portions of Splash Mountain/Frontierland/the interior Splash spaces?

DisneyHead123

I'm intrigued what you mean by "the setting". A lot of people who suggest it's better in person are saying the immersiveness is beyond what can be experienced through YouTube. Did you find it less so, or by "setting" do you mean the way it fits the outdoor portions of Splash Mountain/Frontierland/the interior Splash spaces?
Wonder if the poster meant the bayou? I was walked through Port Orleans with a princess loving girl in my family recently and asking her about it, thinking she’d love it because it’s reminiscent of PatF. Her response was “But we’re staying in a swamp,” lol.

I personally like the bayou theme and think it’s moody and atmospheric, but wonder if some people would have liked more of a focus on New Orleans.

JohnD

TBA just has so many amateurish moments like this that I think is made worse by how stunning the surrounding environments and the AAs themselves are. Just strange that they could craft such a wonderful setting, sparing no expense on so much of the ride but completely mess up the basics of this art form to such a degree.

Rise proved to me that modern Imagineering is capable of crafting a brilliantly immersive story, executing everything flawlessly from the basics of AA movement like you mentioned to the actual story.

It’s all the more puzzling given the massive spotlight this project had. My guess is fingers are going to be pointed.

Genuinely the first thing that stood out to me when I watched Steve’s POV. Pretty much foreshadowed what was to come.
Imagine a picture of Louis doing a cannonball into the water. It's not complicated.

JohnD

It's still a log flume ride on the same track. So on that front I'll still enjoy it for what it is but will still lament what they could have done.

SilentWindODoom

Wonder if the poster meant the bayou? I was walked through Port Orleans with a princess loving girl in my family recently and asking her about it, thinking she’d love it because it’s reminiscent of PatF. Her response was “But we’re staying in a swamp,” lol.

I personally like the bayou theme and think it’s moody and atmospheric, but wonder if some people would have liked more of a focus on New Orleans.

I would think Alligator Bayou would fit in well. There is a huge amount of the film that takes place in those swamps, so it seems odd to me for the swamp to not feel like the film. Unless she just doesn't like the idea of swamps in general. I can see that. At least French Quarter is right up the Sassagoula.

mickEblu

Tiana and Odies dialogue before the second drop on this POV does a better job at setting up the fact that we’re getting shrunk. But why do we see the tiny frog band to the left before we drop? They shouldn’t be there. They should have just had one little frog figure moving into some hole in the ground to emulate that we are now falling down somewhere underground. Or just have the the dialogue take care of it.

Anyway, It’s not like the frogs are microscopic. We can clearly see them there not singing/ playing before the drop and we’re going down to their size so it’s not like the implication is Mama Odie did something to them with her Magic as well. Did they follow us? Why do they suddenly have instruments? Or they could have just showed them before the drop regular frog size playing their little instruments with us being able to faintly hear the music. Not a huge deal but just some sloppy story telling and set up of the scene. This isn’t Alice in Wonderland. They go through the trouble of telling us the mountain is a salt dome. The log flume itself is in story now as well. The way they handle the frog scene is inconsistent with how they’ve chosen to tell the story elsewhere.

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I hear you on what you're saying. You are absolutely right and all of this is panning out negatively on that subject even though it was not meant to. The issue - and should have been thought about more in-depth - is what Disney decided to replace for the representation of the subject. That was an absolutely horrible idea to replace Tiana in such an iconic and globally wellknown ride that was loved by all. Disney pretty much welcomed/quasi-induced the hate for this by unwantingly shoving her down peoples' throats when nobody asked for it - this way. Absolutely, Tiana and the representation deserves a ride but they should've given her the respect of giving her her own ride. Disney approached this in such a drastic, aggressive very poorly planned way. They wanted to cover up the roots of a mistake they made a very long time ago by replacing it with something that - people like - but nobody wanted it to replace what people love. Even if someone likes something, it doesn't mean they want it to replace what they love. They made us choose and incited a divide (seemingly, without understanding the political implications it could have pertaining to the subject matter they are trying to cover up???). The fault is not of Tiana or the subject-matter but of Disney and it being so out of touch with reality or it's consumers. I literally think there is a chance that this ride may not even open to the general public due to the massive backlash it's having. I think all this negativity is stemming from people are tired of Disney's disrespect towards the consumer (in many aspects of the company). It's a full circle - why did Disney remove one of the best rides in the world to poorly overlay it as a political agenda? And why didn't they deem her or the agenda more deserving of it's own ride system, show building, and way more thought out planning. Imagine how big of a win this would've been for Disney if they used the Beauty in the Beast ride system in a new show building specifically for Tiana with these same animatronics - while keeping splash mountain. Point being, Disney is pretty dumb now and makes no logical sense anymore.
Honestly, retheming Splash made sense when you view it from TWDC’s perspective (at least at Disneyland), as it would be much cheaper than building a new PATF ride AND they wanted to replace Splash at some point anyway.

PATF also really lends itself to a boat ride IMO given much of the film’s setting, as well as a classic book report ride with its fantastic music by Randy Newman. I’m having a hard time of thinking what IP would really work better over in Anaheim.

So, it killed a bunch of critters with one stone; while I was disappointed that we lost a literal masterpiece of an attraction, Splash (especially at Disneyland) really needed a large update and this promised us that. That was especially true as the project evolved into a larger scope and scale with proper funding.

Though at MK, the risk was always that because Splash was arguably the park’s best ride, it would impact the experience more there, for better or worse.

The problem is we got a ride that is almost ashamed to be a Princess and the Frog ride in an attempt to reinvent the wheel proving something to someone in the process, but I don’t know what. Book reports don’t work for everything: Star Wars, Harry Potter, Avatar, you name it. But PATF? It screams it, and Splash was already a “book report” set in a larger “world” you’re taking in. It’s world building like Pirates of the Caribbean but also with a plot. Does that not sound like something PATF could do?

Absolutely, at least from my point of view.

The world is pretty much self-contained in the film’s story and the path from movie to ride for that kind of film has already been paved, so a book report would’ve been a no brainer, easy A.

For TBA to have so little plot (while having a lot of dead space too), it’s also wildly unfocused on it, jumping around in really strange and unfashionable ways. It does appear as if they didn’t know what to do. I know saying that is like beating a dead horse at this point, but it couldn’t be more accurate. What a really weird project all around.

I’ve probably watched over a dozen POVs now—being sick in a hotel room most of the past few days. I really am trying to be as objective as possible: Splash wasn’t perfect, anyone that says so is kidding themselves, it was brilliantly designed however, but nowhere near up to modern standards, and didn't have anything on the beauty much of TBA’s interior now has. That, nor do cool robots make a ride, so it can only go so far. They are means to an end, but not the means.

Splash did so much more with so much less in terms of technology and style. It just was exceptionally well put together with every piece of the ride informing the other. That’s not to say it wasn’t a colossally budgeted ride, it was, but despite its datedness it had a timeless sense to it.

But remarkably for TBA, they just seem to have struggled on the creative front after being boxed in with it not having a book report plot. In the same vein as Galaxy’s Edge being frozen in time between two polarizing films, though this is obviously even more impactful on the story (as Rise proved there could still be stories to tell there).

Something that I hadn’t considered that does help a lot is that I’m so familiar with the layout already, so it feels like I have a better grasp than I would if it was a completely new ride which makes it all the more disheartening. Excuse my dramatics, but it’s true.

I don’t even think Na’vi River Journey is that great of a ride, but the environments of TBA look like they are just as stunning. Except in the case of TBA, there’s nothing to look at. You’re supposed to focus on a couple of awkward AAs instead that are saying a lot of nothing, and doing a lot of nothing. The magic of it is it’s just supposed to be us watching an AA I guess. It just feels like a jumbled mess.

The great layout with a healthy dose of thrills and prettiness alone likely means TBA is not insufferable and it’ll still be fun to a degree, but holy is the sum of its parts painfully mediocre. I think what allows a ride to stand the test of time is if it can still function without just the shock and awe factor. Cosmic Rewind needed a good layout rather than just relying on its unique vehicle technology. Flight of Passage needed a good film to match the level of tech behind it as well.

Money didn’t end up being a large issue here like with Imagination 2/3.0 either. This is on Imagineering and other areas involved with creative choices. It also shows a lack of executive leadership and understanding for not reigning in on it.

That being said, I genuinely think the ship is being righted now over at the parks, post-TBA, but time will tell. I was hoping it would apply to this ride too, and while it appears to have not, there are a plethora of reasons to be optimistic overall if you love theme parks, so I wouldn’t let this bring you down entirely.

Again, don’t be surprised to see some changes made to Disneyland’s version because of MK (beyond the fact that it was made with DL’s in mind).

Remember when Universal upgraded Jurassic World: The Ride over at Universal Hollywood after fans complained? Let’s see if Disney respects theirs as much. To me that speaks volumes about Uni, and because there’s so much work to be done on TBA in Anaheim at this point in the project, a lot—especially things like set placement—can still change if they want it to.

So in a way, I think it lets Disney off the hook by saying it was completely dead on arrival. They botched the execution is what happened just like when Test Track 2.0 was a downgraded from the original by favoring style and forgetting about the story—albeit one that is now being righted with 3.0. Let’s hope it doesn’t take a decade or two.

Though, in TBA’s case, I have to admit it is strange to have such a large PR emphasis on “storytelling” for it to completely lack it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The reoccurring themes I keep hearing are it's too dark and there are too many empty spaces.

Personally I think the exterior is a vast improvement shifting to more greenery and removing the awful brambles.

DisneyHead123

I would think Alligator Bayou would fit in well. There is a huge amount of the film that takes place in those swamps, so it seems odd to me for the swamp to not feel like the film. Unless she just doesn't like the idea of swamps in general. I can see that. At least French Quarter is right up the Sassagoula.
I feel like kids are not nuanced, ha ha. To her Tiana is a princess and she should be in fabulous places showing off her ballgowns. Again, I actually prefer the bayou (Pirates is in my top 3 favorite rides) but I don’t know how other people feel about the setting.

Tha Realest

The problem is we got a ride that is almost ashamed to be a Princess and the Frog ride in an attempt to reinvent the wheel proving something to someone in the process, but I don’t know what.

Thank you. You put this so cleanly and eloquently.

Money didn’t end up being a large issue here like with Imagination 2/3.0 either. This is on Imagineering and other areas involved with creative choices. It also shows a lack of executive leadership and understanding for not reigning in on it.

The creative choices are really bizarre but you should read up on Carmen Smith. She is the co-lead on this attraction, and given her self-described role and emphasis, the narrative confusion makes a lot of sense.

Though, in TBA’s case, I have to admit it is strange to have such a large PR emphasis on “storytelling” for it to completely lack it.

See above.

Vclguy90

Honestly, retheming Splash made sense when you view it from TWDC’s perspective (at least at Disneyland), as it would be much cheaper than building a new PATF ride AND they wanted to replace Splash at some point anyway.

PATF also really lends itself to a boat ride IMO given much of the film’s setting, as well as a classic book report ride with its fantastic music by Randy Newman. I’m having a hard time of thinking what IP would really work better over in Anaheim.

So, it killed a bunch of critters with one stone; while I was disappointed that we lost a literal masterpiece of an attraction, Splash (especially at Disneyland) really needed a large update and this promised us that. That was especially true as the project evolved into a larger scope and scale with proper funding.

Though at MK, the risk was always that because Splash was arguably the park’s best ride, it would impact the experience more there, for better or worse.

The problem is we got a ride that is almost ashamed to be a Princess and the Frog ride in an attempt to reinvent the wheel proving something to someone in the process, but I don’t know what. Book reports don’t work for everything: Star Wars, Harry Potter, Avatar, you name it. But PATF? It screams it, and Splash was already a “book report” set in a larger “world” you’re taking in. It’s world building like Pirates of the Caribbean but also with a plot. Does that not sound like something PATF could do?

Absolutely, at least from my point of view.

The world is pretty much self-contained in the film’s story and the path from movie to ride for that kind of film has already been paved, so a book report would’ve been a no brainer, easy A.

For TBA to have so little plot (while having a lot of dead space too), it’s also wildly unfocused on it, jumping around in really strange and unfashionable ways. It does appear as if they didn’t know what to do. I know saying that is like beating a dead horse at this point, but it couldn’t be more accurate. What a really weird project all around.

I’ve probably watched over a dozen POVs now—being sick in a hotel room most of the past few days. I really am trying to be as objective as possible: Splash wasn’t perfect, anyone that says so is kidding themselves, it was brilliantly designed however, but nowhere near up to modern standards, and didn't have anything on the beauty much of TBA’s interior now has. That, nor do cool robots make a ride, so it can only go so far. They are means to an end, but not the means.

Splash did so much more with so much less in terms of technology and style. It just was exceptionally well put together with every piece of the ride informing the other. That’s not to say it wasn’t a colossally budgeted ride, it was, but despite its datedness it had a timeless sense to it.

But remarkably for TBA, they just seem to have struggled on the creative front after being boxed in with it not having a book report plot. In the same vein as Galaxy’s Edge being frozen in time between two polarizing films, though this is obviously even more impactful on the story (as Rise proved there could still be stories to tell there).

Something that I hadn’t considered that does help a lot is that I’m so familiar with the layout already, so it feels like I have a better grasp than I would if it was a completely new ride which makes it all the more disheartening. Excuse my dramatics, but it’s true.

I don’t even think Na’vi River Journey is that great of a ride, but the environments of TBA look like they are just as stunning. Except in the case of TBA, there’s nothing to look at. You’re supposed to focus on a couple of awkward AAs instead that are saying a lot of nothing, and doing a lot of nothing. The magic of it is it’s just supposed to be us watching an AA I guess. It just feels like a jumbled mess.

The great layout with a healthy dose of thrills and prettiness alone likely means TBA is not insufferable and it’ll still be fun to a degree, but holy is the sum of its parts painfully mediocre. I think what allows a ride to stand the test of time is if it can still function without just the shock and awe factor. Cosmic Rewind needed a good layout rather than just relying on its unique vehicle technology. Flight of Passage needed a good film to match the level of tech behind it as well.

That being said, I genuinely think the ship is being righted now over at the parks, post-TBA, but time will tell. I was hoping it would apply to this ride too, and while it appears to have not, there are a plethora of reasons to be optimistic overall if you love theme parks, so I wouldn’t let this bring you down entirely.

Again, don’t be surprised to see some changes made to Disneyland’s version because of MK (beyond the fact that it was made with DL’s in mind).

Remember when Universal upgraded Jurassic World: The Ride over at Universal Hollywood after fans complained? Let’s see if Disney respects theirs as much. To me that speaks volumes about Uni, and because there’s so much work to be done on TBA in Anaheim at this point in the project, a lot—especially things like set placement—can still change if they want it to.

So in a way, I think it lets Disney off the hook by saying it was completely dead on arrival. They botched the execution is what happened just like when Test Track 2.0 was a downgraded from the original by favoring style and forgetting about the story—albeit one that is now being righted with 3.0. Let’s hope it doesn’t take a decade or two.

That was well put.

But why was SM needing to be redone? You said it, it was a masterpiece. SM isn't much older than Indy and they are bringing it over to DAK in the future despite it being a butchered franchise (by Disney's doing). Space Mountain is another timeless attraction that we all know it isn't going anywhere. All of these examples are timeless because they were attractions in a class of their own.

I agree with you on everything you said except Splash needing to be redone. Sure, a PatF overlay would've been cheaper than it's own ride but at what cost? Guest satisfaction and feedback? This overlay ultimately is going to cost them more in the long run which still has me confused about so many things about this. What did they really think was going to happen and who are the execs on the board that gave the thumbs up on all of this and did not think of the repercussions? And I can go further down the rabbit hole about all of this. How are other people in support of what's going on (ie. Eisner and Lucas). That board literally destroyed everything their legacy is about so why are they defending these clowns? What is the conspiracy?

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

In the Parks
No
Spoke with a friend who heard Tony Baxter speak in person about TBA a couple of years ago...

My friend confirms that Baxter made several suggestions for the ride, and none of his advice was taken.

One of Baxter's specific proposals was to have the final Mama Odie animatronic not just be a "goodbye/good job moment" but have a gag where she says that "some of you don't look wet enough" and she splashes you. The joke is because she's blind. Anyway, just thought I'd pass this on.

co10064

Premium Member
Maybe I’m being very generous to WDI, but I almost have to wonder if they were given certain mandates for the story of this attraction:
• Showcase elements of the upcoming (canceled?) Tiana Disney+ show
• Do not include fear-inducing story elements so that all ages can enjoy the attraction
• Do not call-back to Tiana being a frog

Even if WDI was handed these parameters, I’m sure they could have done a better job, but it does make you wonder…

LittleBuford

One of Baxter's specific proposals was to have the final Mama Odie animatronic not just be a "goodbye/good job moment" but have a gag where she says that "some of you don't look wet enough" and she splashes you. The joke is because she's blind. Anyway, just thought I'd pass this on.
Honestly, this doesn’t sound great to me, and if they had incorporated it, I’m sure people here would have criticised it as a poor attempt at humour with no context or narrative purpose.

I’m sure he made other, much better, suggestions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom