Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

LittleBuford

People need to let Baxter retire already and let that man rest.

Like in what way could he help in the writing department that would connect with today’s audiences?

Humor changes overtime and certain gags that worked decades ago are considered offensive or outdated today.
This isn’t what I’m saying, though. I’ve no doubt he made—and is more than capable of making—valuable suggestions. His track record surely counts for something. I just don’t think the example shared was particularly good.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
I think we can all share a collective sigh of relief and be thankful WDI didn't go the rumored Louis looking for his lost trumpet narrative.

This version is infinitely -- What the frog is this swamp?! Nonsensical garbage! Tiana needs to find a last minute band? Huh!? But, but there's Louis, Naveen and kid whatshisface on drums. She already has a backup option in her back pocket! What is this weak sauce plot? Terrible!

Attraction makes no sense. At least it's littered with vibrant sets filled with a bunch of AAs to make up for it. Oh!? Really?

Well, dang.

aladdin2007

I think we can all share a collective sigh of relief and be thankful WDI didn't go the rumored Louis looking for his lost trumpet narrative.

This version is infinitely -- What the frog is this swamp?! Nonsensical garbage! Tiana needs to find a last minute band? Huh!? But, but there's Louis, Naveen and kid whatshisface on drums. She already has a backup option in her back pocket! What is this weak sauce plot? Terrible!

Attraction makes no sense. At least it's littered with vibrant sets filled with a bunch of AAs to make up for it. Oh!? Really?

Well, dang.
I don't know at this point compared to the jumbled useless mess we got, I think I almost would have preferred that, and that isn't good either of course.....henrymystics post/points were spot on,,,,question now is is Disney listening at all or simply going to ignore it because the rubes wont care it will be good enough in disneys mind. They got their "lets remember what's really important" muck message everywhere so Im sure they are fine with that, I think they have forgotten what is really important.
Disneylands will probably see something improved,,,whereas we are probably stuck with it. They didn't deliver, and someone there needs to realize that.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

Well, dang.
The story line makes me wonder is this the first party Tiana has ever thrown that needs a band? Is she not familiar at all with the local musicians and/or wildlife that we see during the ride? Wouldn't an advertisement be a more effective means of acquiring the sound you are looking for?

And why would we need to be shrunk down dy Odie to to realize the frogs have the sound we need? If we are not able to appreciate the frogs sound at normal size, would that not require that everyone at the party needs to be shrunk down to enjoy it as well? I get it that a human isn't perhaps large enough to fit in the area the frogs are in, but that would mean the frogs are only ever there in that area and have never been heard outside of it?

And the props in the old laughing place that give the perspective we are shrunk down are a few bottles and a key? And shouldn't Tiana be waaaaaay larger than she appears on the screen if we are shrunk down?

Just a few (obviously nit picky) thoughts I've had while watching the ride videos

mickEblu

The story line makes me wonder is this the first party Tiana has ever thrown that needs a band? Is she not familiar at all with the local musicians and/or wildlife that we see during the ride? Wouldn't an advertisement be a more effective means of acquiring the sound you are looking for?

And why would we need to be shrunk down dy Odie to to realize the frogs have the sound we need? If we are not able to appreciate the frogs sound at normal size, would that not require that everyone at the party needs to be shrunk down to enjoy it as well? I get it that a human isn't perhaps large enough to fit in the area the frogs are in, but that would mean the frogs are only ever there in that area and have never been heard outside of it?

And the props in the old laughing place that give the perspective we are shrunk down are a few bottles and a key? And shouldn't Tiana be waaaaaay larger than she appears on the screen if we are shrunk down?

Just a few (obviously nit picky) thoughts I've had while watching the ride videos

Going out of order here but…

Yeah the story from the second drop to final lift hill is sloppy and half baked yet the scenes are livelier and more fun.

The story/scenes from when we first enter the show building to the second drop is boring, extremely juvenile with cringey dialogue but makes sense.

Then you have the finale which kind of seems like it was transplanted from a different story altogether. My guess is the missing spice thing was probably the first story they agreed on and so “Special Spice” was produced. By the time the story morphed into “find the band”, “Special Spice” had become an ear worm and part of the attraction they weren’t willing to alter. They figured the lyrics were generic enough and that the sound was what they wanted for the finale.

Last edited:

Vclguy90

Honestly, this doesn’t sound great to me, and if they had incorporated it, I’m sure people here would have criticised it as a poor attempt at humour with no context or narrative purpose.

I’m sure he made other, much better, suggestions.
No context? I believe there were 3 drops preceeding that in which the goal was for you to get wet. And what narrative purpose did they end up with in place of Baxter's (the Da Vinci of Imagineering) idea?

Last edited:

TalkingHead

Spoke with a friend who heard Tony Baxter speak in person about TBA a couple of years ago...

My friend confirms that Baxter made several suggestions for the ride, and none of his advice was taken.

One of Baxter's specific proposals was to have the final Mama Odie animatronic not just be a "goodbye/good job moment" but have a gag where she says that "some of you don't look wet enough" and she splashes you. The joke is because she's blind. Anyway, just thought I'd pass this on.
WDI probably decided there shouldn’t be any laughter on this ride because it might be misinterpreted.

Vclguy90

The selling beignets narrative

product placement GIF by funk
Truman Show Oops GIF by JUST Egg

LittleBuford

No context? I believe there were 3 drops preceeding that in which the goal was for you to get wet.
I never saw the goal of Splash as getting me wet (and if that was the goal, it failed miserably, as I always sat at the back and remained quite dry). I was, in any case, referring to the narrative logic (such as it is) of the story itself, not the physical effects of the ride system.

And what narrative purpose did they end up with in place of Baxter's (the Da Vinci of Imagineering) idea?
I haven’t defended the story they ended up with; quite the opposite. Nor did I deny Baxter’s talents; again, quite the opposite. But like so many other posters here, you insist on a binary either/or framing, ignoring the spectrum of viewpoints in between.

eddie104

This isn’t what I’m saying, though. I’ve no doubt he made—and is more than capable of making—valuable suggestions. His track record surely counts for something. I just don’t think the example shared was particularly good.
I just think at this point he has contributed so much time and energy to Disney that a break is in order.

Tony is legendary for creations for the parks and will go down in history as one of the forefathers of Imagineering.

Actually if can continue to provide advice to the new generation of creators I think that would be awesome.

Tha Realest

The story line makes me wonder is this the first party Tiana has ever thrown that needs a band? Is she not familiar at all with the local musicians and/or wildlife that we see during the ride?
There’s only so much you can pick up on a dozen or so “research trips” to get a sense of New Orleans - it’s not blindingly obvious the first few times that the city has an embarrassment of musical talent literally everywhere.

Unbanshee

The story line makes me wonder is this the first party Tiana has ever thrown that needs a band? Is she not familiar at all with the local musicians and/or wildlife that we see during the ride?

It wasn't Tiana's fault, it was Naveen and Louis that dropped the ball booking a band

"In the bayou, Princess Tiana is getting ready to throw a big party, but there’s been a bit of a mix-up between Prince Naveen and Louis. Uh oh — the princess suddenly finds herself in need of a band."

Source: https://disneyparksblog.com/dlr/meet-the-critters-at-tianas-bayou-adventure-part-1/

mickEblu

It wasn't Tiana's fault, it was Naveen and Louis that dropped the ball booking a band

"In the bayou, Princess Tiana is getting ready to throw a big party, but there’s been a bit of a mix-up between Prince Naveen and Louis. Uh oh — the princess suddenly finds herself in need of a band."

Source: https://disneyparksblog.com/dlr/meet-the-critters-at-tianas-bayou-adventure-part-1/

Cute backstory but would you know that was the case if you never read it? Is it something they set up in the queue? I’ve heard nothing on the ride that indicates there was a mix up. Even if addressed, it doesn’t save this lackluster story or the poor execution of that story.

Jedi14

Cute backstory but would you know that was the case if you never read it? Is it something they set up in the queue? I’ve heard nothing on the ride that indicates there was a mix up. Even if addressed, it doesn’t save this lackluster story or the poor execution of that story.
There’s a newspaper when you walk into the barn that says all the bands are booked and that Louis thought Naveen would handle it. I think there’s also some audio on the radio explaining, but I haven’t heard it clearly in any of the videos I’ve seen yet.

Tha Realest

Does Tiana now have the power to talk to animals? She could only do so as a frog. Did that power stick with her? Is it the wizardry of Odie? A side effect of the secret spice?

Learn the answers to these questions and more in Drew Taylor’s lengthy deep dive on on the cancelled Tiana D+ series!

Jedi14

Does Tiana now have the power to talk to animals? She could only do so as a frog. Did that power stick with her? Is it the wizardry of Odie? A side effect of the secret spice?

Learn the answers to these questions and more in Drew Taylor’s lengthy deep dive on on the cancelled Tiana D+ series!
In some of the extra books and comics post movie, they show that she and Naveen can still talk to animals. I’m also pretty sure the show is not officially cancelled.

999th Happy Haunt

Spoke with a friend who heard Tony Baxter speak in person about TBA a couple of years ago...

My friend confirms that Baxter made several suggestions for the ride, and none of his advice was taken.

One of Baxter's specific proposals was to have the final Mama Odie animatronic not just be a "goodbye/good job moment" but have a gag where she says that "some of you don't look wet enough" and she splashes you. The joke is because she's blind. Anyway, just thought I'd pass this on.
This would be very funny. Actually makes me sad to read.

In the Parks
No
Honestly, this doesn’t sound great to me, and if they had incorporated it, I’m sure people here would have criticised it as a poor attempt at humour with no context or narrative purpose.

I’m sure he made other, much better, suggestions.
Yeah, he did. The other one I heard was to “have the animatronics be doing something other than just stand there.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom