This could be bad for Disney folks

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Scared them? Nah. Kicked them into gear?

I think Disney have marketing problems in the UK. They are obviously keen to big up Paris, but Im not sure if WDW profile is suffering as a result. There seems to be a clear focus being made in media outlets on Disney being for families with young kids, while Universal is pushed as being aimed at families with kids 10+ and more grown up, more exciting. Sky travels program for next summer doesn't even show Disney, but heavily features Universal and Aquatica.

Certainly the opinion I see being expressed on non Theme park sites indicates that very many believe that Disney is not worth taking in unless you have young kids. The more Universal is pushed the more that opinion becomes entrenched.

As someone who uses both parks, I just look forward to more attractions to experience. I just wish Disney would pull its finger out and do something about the 1/2 day park and freshen up the MK.

Lee

Adventurer
While not officially announced, it's widely accepted that there will be a highly immersive Kuka arm attraction in the new Potter area of the park which will be a brand new experience in the industry. That technology is something Disney desperately wanted as a ride in their parks(if you believe the rumors, which I do). That alone would give Universal something that Disney can't match.
Entirely correct. Disney wanted the Kuka contract badly.
The ride at WWoHP will be groundbraking in the same way Indy and Spidy were.
Heck, the interactive element alone......

It'll probably have a limited (if any) effect on attendance.
Not a big effect on Disney, but a big upside for Uni. I know one person who can't wait to swipe his Uni pass at the gate and get in line.:wave:

bayoutinkbelle

While I love Disney, I absolutely can't wait for this coaster and Harry Potter. I usually spend 2-3 days at Uni on my summer vacations, but these attractions will persuade me to spend a few more days there.

I expect different experiences from both parks, and I think that's part of why I love going to both so much. I would hope that Disney management (or fans, for that matter) wouldn't get so complacent to think that groundbreaking new attractions such as these won't make a dent in their business. The bigger they are, ...

hpyhnt 1000

Disney is in no real danger here. If Islands of Adventure didn't take a dent out of the Mouse's attendance, one rollercoaster certainly ain't going to do it. And the WWoHP won't do that much either, IMHO.

And actually, I wish the WWoHP and this coaster would take some traffic away from WDW and make Disney sit on edge. If I may quote Uncle Walt himself:

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

I couldn't agree more with that statement. :rolleyes:

fosse76

Opening up a plain thrill coaster that only appeals to a limited demographic is never a good way to get people through the gates.

It'll probably have a limited (if any) effect on attendance.

You obviously don't know anything about the theme park business. Look at the attendance figures for ANY theme park. Whenever a park adds a roller coaster they see a significant increase in attendance. As I said in another post a few months ago, MOST people could care less about themeing...unless the coaster is a complete dud, themeing won't make much of a difference.

That said...Univeral isn't trying to "steal" business from Disney. They want to convince tourists to spend a few days there while visiting Disney. And Disney desparately wanted Harry Potter. JK Rowling refuses to give up creative control (something Disney refused to give her). Also, Disney wanted only one ride, whereas Universal's proposal was for the entire themed area.

Oriolesmagic

Original Poster
You obviously don't know anything about the theme park business. Look at the attendance figures for ANY theme park. Whenever a park adds a roller coaster they see a significant increase in attendance. As I said in another post a few months ago, MOST people could care less about themeing...unless the coaster is a complete dud, themeing won't make much of a difference.

That said...Univeral isn't trying to "steal" business from Disney. They want to convince tourists to spend a few days there while visiting Disney. And Disney desparately wanted Harry Potter. JK Rowling refuses to give up creative control (something Disney refused to give her). Also, Disney wanted only one ride, whereas Universal's proposal was for the entire themed area.

I personally love theming, I think that even if a boring ride has great theming, it normally is pretty good in my book. Theming is part of Disney's magic.

Yea, in my opinion it looks like they thought rock ' rollercaster was awesome and are trying to do their own version. Universal will never compare to Disney, nuff said! And who knows maybe this competition will make Disney put more rides into production. Competiton is great for Disney.

The Empress Lilly

Competition is good. Universal's recent spur of activity will ruffle some feathers at Disney.

Disney doesn't need to enter the roller coaster arms race. But Potter, Spidey, even the Simpsons should make WDW very worried indeed.

And if not, hey...it's one more day at Universal for me. :cool:

Lee

Adventurer
Yea, in my opinion it looks like they thought rock ' rollercaster was awesome and are trying to do their own version. Universal will never compare to Disney, nuff said!
True about the Disney\Uni comparison aspect...
But, head to head, this ride will eat RnRC for lunch. Simple fact.

Ilovewishes

At the end of the day, each park has their own fans, fans who will stay loyal to them, no matter what attractions the competition add. I love Disney, I will always love Disney. It could stay as it is forever and I would still love it more than Universal.

That said, my sister loves Universal and can't understand why I never give it more than a day. Different strokes for different folks!

I think Disney have marketing problems in the UK. They are obviously keen to big up Paris, but Im not sure if WDW profile is suffering as a result. There seems to be a clear focus being made in media outlets on Disney being for families with young kids, while Universal is pushed as being aimed at families with kids 10+ and more grown up, more exciting. Sky travels program for next summer doesn't even show Disney, but heavily features Universal and Aquatica.

I agree with this 100%. The only time I ever see Disney park adverts on TV, it's for Paris. However, I see loads of adverts for Seaworld, Universal etc. I get so excited every time I hear that music on the Disney advert and I'm always disappointed that it's another Paris advert!

And WDW is definately widely viewed as a "kiddy park" over here. Why go all that way if you don't have children? What could it possibly have for adults? It definately needs better marketing over here!

Heck, I only know everything that WDW offers because I learnt about it on here!!

SWatsi

Aww nuts. I thought I could stay away from Florida for a few years and go to some other places. Looks like I'm going to have to save up a lot of money in anticipation.. poor poor student..

Love Disney World. Love Universal. Love SeaWorld. So much going on, or potentially going on.

So there goes plans for France, Italy, Germany, Spain. :ROFLOL:

Btw. when people here ask about Florida, I usually try to promote Universal and SeaWorld (and other Florida attractions), rather than Disney. It takes a lot of convincing, as a number of people say that Disneyland Paris was good, but is that all there is in Florida? I've always thought the UK has such a strange relationship with Disney.

Edit: I agree with comment above. BOTH WDW and DLParis need better promotion over here. Ads for everyone.

tinktoo

Firstly, I am a huge Disney fan - the movies, the characters, the parks and now the cruise line. :kiss:

But, we've always ALWAYS visited other parks when we've visited Florida. If I'm taking a 9 hour flight from Scotland, I wanna see loads of places, not just one. Over the years, we've visited USF and IoA (numerous times), Kennedy Space Center a couple of times, Wet 'n' Wild, Water Mania, Busch Gardens and Sea World (since before USF was even built), Cypress Gardens and even Circus World way back in my childhood. :D

I'm looking forward to Universal's new additions as it's been great to see how each park has evolved over the years. I don't understand why some people disrespect either USF or WDW and then follow up their comments by saying they've never set foot in whichever park they are putting down. :shrug: I don't compare USF and WDW - they are completely different experiences with their own unique features and thrills. :)

bayoutinkbelle

I'm looking forward to Universal's new additions as it's been great to see how each park has evolved over the years. I don't understand why some people disrespect either USF or WDW and then follow up their comments by saying they've never set foot in whichever park they are putting down. :shrug: I don't compare USF and WDW - they are completely different experiences with their own unique features and thrills. :)

My thoughts exactly.

SirGoofy

Competition is good. Universal's recent spur of activity will ruffle some feathers at Disney.

Disney doesn't need to enter the roller coaster arms race. But Potter, Spidey, even the Simpsons should make WDW very worried indeed.

And if not, hey...it's one more day at Universal for me. :cool:

I'll give you Potter and Spidey...but the Simpson's ride was an incredible let down for me. Queue was fantastic and funny, but the ride was incredibly bland and didn't have the laughs that the rest of the experience.

And Potter isn't even done yet. I'm excited about it(obviously) but I'll hold my judgment until it opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom