Things Walt wouldn't have approved of

Computer Magic

speck76 said:
Walt's views were out of touch in the late 60's....prior to his death (case in point...Epcot as a city)

If Walt had not died, the company would probably not exist today.....perhaps the death of Walt was the best thing to happen to retain the magic of what Walt originally wanted.
The second part I won't disagree with.....being out of touch in the 60's is an opinion that can be debated both ways, as Magic Kingdom worked and was developed during the same time. :wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
DisneyGrl85 said:
Ummm...I meant I'm glad that he's frozen cause now he can come back. :lookaroun
:lol:

ala "The Six Million Dollar Man"

Walt Disney, imagineer. A man not even alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to unthaw the world's first frozen man. Walt Disney will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.....:lookaroun

OliveMcFly

unkadug - ala "The Six Million Dollar Man"

Walt Disney, imagineer. A man not even alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to unthaw the world's first frozen man. Walt Disney will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edeyore

bigcarolina77 said:
Pixar is worth every penny. Their flicks make hundreds of millions each. They're one of the only thing going in the right direction in Hollywood right know. The other studios can't seem to crank out many winners. Hope they don't foul it up and start cranking out more Treasure Planet type crap.

I hate to disagree, you have been on a great roll. Looking at the trailers for "Cars", Pixar's next release, I would be amazed if it can even do better than "Chicken Little".

speck76

Computer Magic said:
The second part I won't disagree with.....being out of touch in the 60's is an opinion that can be debated both ways, as Magic Kingdom worked and was developed during the same time. :wave:

but how much of Walt's MK was used for the final product?

Dragonrider1227

Edeyore said:
I hate to disagree, you have been on a great roll. Looking at the trailers for "Cars", Pixar's next release, I would be amazed if it can even do better than "Chicken Little".
Yeah, but nearly EVERY trailer for a Pixar movie has made me think "This looks cute, but i'm not expecting much" and then I get blown away by how good it actually is.

peter11435

Dragonrider1227 said:
Yeah, but nearly EVERY trailer for a Pixar movie has made me think "This looks cute, but i'm not expecting much" and then I get blown away by how good it actually is.
I agree with that statement 100% when it comes to Finding Nemo, and the Incredibles.

nyfrenchy

Edeyore said:

Remember the trailers for Nemo?

Prepare to be amazed.

WDWFREAK53

nyfrenchy said:
Remember the trailers for Nemo?

Prepare to be amazed.

I completely agree...the trailers for Nemo weren't that great...but wow...what a movie.

I say...if they're going to keep the Indy Speedway...forget about putting in a Pixar attraction in the Timekeeper's spot and retheme the speedway to a Cars theme. Timekeeper can get something original :)

speck76

WDWFREAK53 said:
I completely agree...the trailers for Nemo weren't that great...but wow...what a movie.

I say...if they're going to keep the Indy Speedway...forget about putting in a Pixar attraction in the Timekeeper's spot and retheme the speedway to a Cars theme. Timekeeper can get something original :)
while they are at it.....move it to behind Space Mt and eliminate the noise and still in TL

I often thought that Disney does not know how to market their films....the prime example is The Emperor's New Groove......the trailers were terrible.....but the movie was not half bad.....if I did not catch it the first time "by accident" I probably would have not seen it to this day.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
I often thought that Disney does not know how to market their films....the prime example is The Emperor's New Groove......the trailers were terrible.....but the movie was not half bad.....if I did not catch it the first time "by accident" I probably would have not seen it to this day.

Sometimes they are the best at marketing, but lately it has been the opposite. The fake trailers for Lilo and Stitch were fantastic and IMO they were the most entertaining things to come out of that character and film. But TENG got nothing. I don't even know if there were Happy Meal toys or anything like that. If TENG was a summer release with decent marketing, it would have made about double what it made (which was still fantastic considering it went up against 102 Dalmations and almost made $100 million).

The thing I like about Pixar marketing is that while the trailers might not be that great, they don't give away the movie and they spark your interest just enough to go see them. And then when good reviews and word of mouth kicks in, you've got a huge smash.

WDWFREAK53

dxwwf3 said:
Sometimes they are the best at marketing, but lately it has been the opposite. The fake trailers for Lilo and Stitch were fantastic and IMO they were the most entertaining things to come out of that character and film. But TENG got nothing. I don't even know if there were Happy Meal toys or anything like that. If TENG was a summer release with decent marketing, it would have made about double what it made (which was still fantastic considering it went up against 102 Dalmations and almost made $100 million).

The thing I like about Pixar marketing is that while the trailers might not be that great, they don't give away the movie and they spark your interest just enough to go see them. And then when good reviews and word of mouth kicks in, you've got a huge smash.

The biggest marketing flop for Disney was Treasure Planet. I saw that movie "by accident" because there wasn't another "kid-friendly" movie and I took my little cousins to see it. I walked away shaking my head wondering how it couldn't have been that "next big Disney hit."

WhyteAL

First off "wdwfreak53" the link you posted was crazy!....What is that about. Is it an actual plan for a corporate park? How freaking cool, I don't know if economically fesible but its sure is cool. :wave:

Secondly I saw how long this thread is and I just had to write something...:p

We would not know what Walt would have liked/disliked or whatever...But I do know that we as a society have been molded by disney and are products of that mans dream. So times have changed and like all buisness must change with the times or become obsolete (especially in the global marketplace). I belive Walt being the blueprint for most entrepenuars, and the savy buisness man he was, would have changed with the times much like everyone else from that time had to. So their would have been a good chance disney would have been similar. Not the same but similar.

What we do know is that we are all products of his buisness style and innovations. And even though he did not take an active (active is not a good word example like vietnam, civil right movement, etc) roll in changing the world into what it is today. He did change us all of us have in some way been effected by the disney corporation whether its the way the companies we work for do buisness, or our favorite resturants with their themeing, or those fond memeories which shaped you by going to disney or maybe just watching a disney classic, or even our space exploration program that he was an activist for. We all are products of this man vision. Maybe not exactly what he wanted or maybe not the way he wanted but we have made it far with his help. And I do belive that in his old age he would have been proud of us the children of his dream.:)

WDWFREAK53

It's the Tokyo Megacity...to be built (if it can ever get completely greenlit) in Tokyo Bay.

It's a 3000+ foot tall "City in a Pyramid". No automobiles will be allowed...The entire transit system is based on elevators (that even go diagonal), train systems, and personal "taxis" that are like elevators that move horizontally.

The "test" for the design of this project was the Luxor out in Las Vegas. Take the Luxor...and now multiply it 50+ times and stack them to form a giant pyramid. It is to be able to hold 750,000 people and can withstand the power of a typhoon or tidal wave. The trusses can't be made out of steel because it's just WAY too heavy, so their going to use carbon nanotubes.

It was a pretty interesting show...you may be able to catch it On Demand if they offer it. (Some of the robots shown in the show are pretty freakin' cool too!)

Discovery Channel had an entire show about it on Extreme Engineering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom