Things Walt wouldn't have approved of

peter11435

William Marsden said:
Maybe this has already been covered (I don't have time right now to read all the postings) but I wanted to bring up a point that the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland wrote about. Before there was a Disneyland, Walt use to take his two daughters out to the Californeia Piers on Sunday Mornings/Afternoons. He didn't like the atmosphere. He was distressed at all of the cheap, slow loading rides, carnival games, and people walking around drinking beer. That's why he built Disneyland. He wanted to create a park with a totally different enviornment. When Disney's California Adventure was built, most of the attractions were just copied over from Disney World with the exception of Soarin Over California and the Paradise Pier part of the park. But the problem with Paradise Pier is it's exactly the sort of thing that Walt wanted to stay away from - cheap, slow loading rides, carnival games, and people walking around drinking beer. I don't think Walt would have approved.
Walt himself had rides in Disneyland that were just as "cheap" and slow loading as those on Paradise Pier. The Mad Tea Party and Dumbo are just two examples. As for games, Walt had those two look at the Frontierland Shootin Arcade. Walt’s problem wasn't with the rides being slow loading or not advanced enough or the games. His problem was that those parks were un-maintained, filthy, and the workers were well what you would expect at a roadside carnival. While you may not like Paradise Pier it is clean, maintained and staffed by the same Disney CM's as Disneyland. As for alcohol, that is really a dead issue. I have never heard of alcohol being one of the things Walt hated about the other parks that inspired him to build Disneyland, however it may be true. But in any case it is impossible to say how Walt would have felt about alcohol in other parks besides Disneyland. And besides that there were already four other Disney theme parks serving alcohol by the time DCA opened.

MKCP 1985

Anyone who can't tell the difference between the boardwalk amusements, the travelling fairs and the worst of any Disney park. . . well, they just aren't very with it. *shrug*

speck76

I never understood the activist viewpoint that "Triceratops Spin and Magic Carpets of Aladdin were cheap carnival rides, but Dumbo and The Tea-Cups were classics"

They are all cheap carnival rides.....but at least they have a nice theme, and are well maintained.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
I never understood the activist viewpoint that "Triceratops Spin and Magic Carpets of Aladdin were cheap carnival rides, but Dumbo and The Tea-Cups were classics"

They are all cheap carnival rides.....but at least they have a nice theme, and are well maintained.

Well I think that part of it has to do is that Dumbo and the Tea-Cups were there first and Aladdin and Spin did nothing to advance the ride system. I completely see your point and I really don't have much of a problem with Aladdin or anything in Dino-Rama, but I can see the frustration as well. I would like to see something like Triceratop Spin with spinning cars. You could control the up/down and the spinning of each car. But those rides are what they are.

And as far as Aladdin alone goes, that park has 2 rides almost exactly like it. I think that is where the complaints come from that one.

Dragonrider1227

dxwwf3 said:
Well I think that part of it has to do is that Dumbo and the Tea-Cups were there first and Aladdin and Spin did nothing to advance the ride system. I completely see your point and I really don't have much of a problem with Aladdin or anything in Dino-Rama, but I can see the frustration as well. I would like to see something like Triceratop Spin with spinning cars. You could control the up/down and the spinning of each car. But those rides are what they are.

And as far as Aladdin alone goes, that park has 2 rides almost exactly like it. I think that is where the complaints come from that one.
Agreed but at the same time, it can't ALL be the Haunted Mansion and Pirates, now can it? My little sister liked the Aladdin carpets ride. It calmed her down after the Haunted Mansion freaked her out and I enjoyed the ride too. It's simple, enjoyable, and a good way to just relax. Plus, not being the "classic" Dumbo is, Aladdin's line is shorter, giving kids the ability to ride something like that without the long lines.

speck76

dxwwf3 said:

I think the complaints are more like "they did not build that for ME, I want everything to be built for ME"....but that is my opinion.

Aladdin and TS are both 4 person cars, whereas Dumbo and AO are 2 person.

I believe the vehicles on Aladdin "pitch"

Most of all....Dumbo and AO always have maintained huge lines due to both popularity and extreme lack of capacity.....and with little kids and parents being the target audience for these attractions, I would think anything they could do to lower the wait time would give a guest satisfaction increase.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
Most of all....Dumbo and AO always have maintained huge lines due to both popularity and extreme lack of capacity.....and with little kids and parents being the target audience for these attractions, I would think anything they could do to lower the wait time would give a guest satisfaction increase.

Probably so.

wannab@dis

One other point that just baffles me... why is it so bad to have 2 spinners, but ok to have mulitple omnimovers, circlevisions, water/boat rides, animatronic shows, etc?

Seems that Speck is right... it's all about the "selfish" factor and not actual logic.

Dragonrider1227

bigcarolina77 said:
The "cheapness" of some of the recent additions...
1. The carnival portion of Dinoland
2. Gutting of Tomorrowland and the transformation into Pixarland or Fantsyland East
3. The "new" Tiki Room
4. Toontown Fair
5. Letting EPCOT crumble before doing something about it
6. Glut of meet and greets...especially in the MK
7. Loss of originality...too many clones of rides from other parks and too much effort into everything having to have a movie tie-in
8. Booze at WDW
9. Replacing classic rides with crap like Pooh's Playful Spot and Alien Encounter/Stitch
10. And last but not least...not letting a new generation experience "Song of the South" because of some political correctness fear crap!

1. I havn't beem to Dinoland so I can't say
2. I didn't think Tomorrowland was THAT bad. Though I don't recall the old one very well.
3. Well, it's not like the old one is dead. It's still in Disneyland and WDW's needed an update. It'd be awfully boring if we had two parks that had the same versions of attractions.
4. Here's where I agree with you. Toontown seemed more like a Toonstreet to me. I've seen neighborhoods in Newport, Rhode Island bigger than that Toontown.
5. Was Epcot really in that bad of shape? Wow, you leave the park for 15 years and everything changes.
6. I didn't mind it. I mean, my little brother was in hevean with all those characters to choose from. In fact, in my last visit, I didn't think there were enough characters.
7. Dinoland, Mission Space, Tower of Terror, need I go on? Though yeah, they could lighten up on the movie based rides.
8. What's wrong with Booze at WDW? I can kinda see it in MK. That is suppose to hold a childlike fairytale world, but I see no problem with it in Epcot, or Pleasure Island, or Downtown Disney.
9. I agree with Pooh. Is that what replaced 20k leagues under the sea? Then I can feel you on that but I don't recall Alien Encounter actually being considered a classic. I don't think it was out long enough.
10. That is ALSO where I agree. Though Spalsh Mountain does seem to hold up pretty well on it sucks that today's kids will never know what these characters are from just because some idiots want everything in the world to be "Politiclly correct."

b21nhl

Nut4Disney said:
I think he's probably spinning in his grave over Chester n' Hesters area at AK.
I dont see why everyone has a problem with Dino Rama. Have you been on that ride? it is like the tilt-a-whirl on crack! it is so much fun! get 2 larger people on the outside, 2 smaller people on the inside, and you will have the time of your life!

ogryn

My little brother loved Aladdin's Magic Carpets last time (mainly for the camels spitting at you).

He was quite disappointed at the Paris studios to find no camels and no spitting at their version of the ride.

PintoColvig

b21nhl said:
I dont see why everyone has a problem with Dino Rama. Have you been on that ride? it is like the tilt-a-whirl on crack! it is so much fun! get 2 larger people on the outside, 2 smaller people on the inside, and you will have the time of your life!

I like the physical feel of the Primeval Whirl but I wonder if it could have been themed better and made not to look like the typical mouse coaster where you see all of the steel supports, etc. Of course, I already expressed my opinion of the whole Dinorama area before. IMO, it's just a poor idea.

Dragonrider1227

I can think of one thing Walt proboly wouldn't approve of. Sponsers. I think he would've felt that having the Kodak logo underneith the "Journey into Imagination" sign or what ever it is that sponser's "Mickey's Philharmagic" *I think Kodak also*would hurt the illusion. I know I do sometimes.

wannab@dis

Dragonrider1227 said:
I can think of one thing Walt proboly wouldn't approve of. Sponsers. I think he would've felt that having the Kodak logo underneith the "Journey into Imagination" sign or what ever it is that sponser's "Mickey's Philharmagic" *I think Kodak also*would hurt the illusion. I know I do sometimes.
Sorry to break it to you, but the idea of sponsorship goes back to the opening of Disneyland. Walt was instrumental in going out and recruiting sponsors. Now, since you may not believe me, I took a few minutes and found an article that I read a while back about how ABC initially became a part of Disney history. I always thought it was interesting that the first sponsor of Disneyland was the network that Eisner decided to purchase.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?la...atures&content=article&articleID=VR1117921886

:wave:

Edit: This is a PRIME example of why I'm not a fan of "What would Walt do" opinions. Most of the time, it's based on personal perspective and many times, it's has zero basis in fact. This is not a personal attack of Dragonrider1227, but a general observation. Ok?

dxwwf3

I was just thinking, have there been any good attractions at Epcot that were without sponsors? Horizons, World of Motion, Spaceship Earth, Journey Into Imagination, Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space and the list goes on.

All had sponsorship. I wish somebody would come in and sponsor the heck out of Tomorrowland :lol:

peter11435

Dragonrider1227 said:
Wrong. As others have already pointed out, Walt himself had sponsors just like we do today.

wannab@dis

peter11435 said:
Wrong. As others have already pointed out, Walt himself had sponsors just like we do today.
The interesting part is that Walt didn't just HAVE sponsors, he was actively involved in the search and aquisistion of sponsorship.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom