Things Walt wouldn't have approved of

ryguy

Does anyone know why alcohol isn't served in the Magic Kingdom? If it's such a money maker, why aren't they selling it? I guess I am confused why do they sell it everywhere else but not the Magic Kingdom?

PintoColvig

ryguy said:
Does anyone know why alcohol isn't served in the Magic Kingdom? If it's such a money maker, why aren't they selling it? I guess I am confused why do they sell it everywhere else but not the Magic Kingdom?

Apparently it is a hold-over from Walt's DL days and that MK is supposed to be a kid-friendly, family-friendly park. But, the same families go to the other three parks. My preference would be that they restrict the selling of alcohol to sit-down restaurants/pubs and prohibit the carrying of alcohol out of those establishments. This would provide the best of both worlds: a few limited places for those who desire alcohol to get it while allowing those who don't want it to not be exposed to it.

speck76

PintoColvig said:
Apparently it is a hold-over from Walt's DL days and that MK is supposed to be a kid-friendly, family-friendly park. But, the same families go to the other three parks. My preference would be that they restrict the selling of alcohol to sit-down restaurants/pubs and prohibit the carrying of alcohol out of those establishments. This would provide the best of both worlds: a few limited places for those who desire alcohol to get it while allowing those who don't want it to not be exposed to it.
how is one exposed to it if they are not drinking it?

Is it such a major issue to "see" beer?

PintoColvig

speck76 said:
how is one exposed to it if they are not drinking it?

Is it such a major issue to "see" beer?

It's not the "seeing" that has been a problem for me. It was the beer that was spilled on my daughter's shoes by the tipsy woman near the pub at the UK pavillion. :mad: Worse than a soft drink? To me, yes.

Sheesh, is this an active thread.....

Anyhow....I could possibly agree with this statement, but only if you kept to within the confines of a year....

This day in age, it's extremely rare to see films gain momentum during the summer season and Disney got two of them that year (POTC and Nemo). You're lucky to get two a decade like that.
When you opened it up to "two in a decade"...that's already been proven that it can be done and none of them were sequels. Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Pocahontas. These were all released in the 90's. Lion King was actually pulled from theatres and then placed back in them only a month later and the momentum kept going.

I looked into ticket sales for ticket sales on both Lion King and Shrek 2...Lion King had 88.9 million and Shrek 2 had 74.6 million. The trick to these numbers is that again, Lion King was released twice while Shrek 2 was only released once. Now, comes the question of whether the Lion King gets those numbers without the second release?

Of interest tho'....totally unrelated by the way. Titanic holds the top box office spot money wise, but it's only #7 in ticket sales. Titanic, Lion King and the Phantom Menace are the only 3 films in the top 20 from the 90's or later. There are 4 Star Wars movies in the top 20, 5 Disney films (Jungle Book, 101 Dalmations, Mary Poppins, Lion King and Snow White) and out of them all - Jungle Book has the most ticket sales. All of these films mentioned Star Wars and Disney have had multiple releases while Titanic was only released once (thank god). And of course the top ticket selling movie of all time......don't hold your breath, cause it's a long movie...and an even longer book (I know, I read it for school - 1076 pages if I recall - paperback - small print - haha) Gone With the Wind (again, multiple releases).

The other 3 movies in the top 20 that did not have multiple releases??? Glad you asked....Jaws (122.3), Dr. Zhivago (121.8) and The Sting (89.9). Pretty neat.....thanks for the oppurtunity to check that out....here's the site if you want to see how many other Disney flicks are in the top 191....

http://home.earthlink.net/~mrob/pub/movies/topadj.html

Dragonrider1227

It's hard to say and frankly, I think it would be a bad idea to constantly build things around "what would Walt do?" for many reasons. One major reason would be because at the time they were most worried about that question, they almost got bought out. I also feel that if you constantly worry about what Walt WOULD do, you'll never get anything done.

duchess1576

bigcarolina77 said:
8. Booze at WDW

I don't understand the big deal about serving alcohol in WDW. It's the #1 vacation spot ever, why wouldn't they serve it? It really bugs me, when people associate alcohol with just being drunk and disorderly. I don't think psychotic whinos wandering around Epcot are a common problem. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a glass of wine at Le Cellier, or a margarita at Mexico. It's enjoyable and innocent. And the clubs at Pleasure Island don't allow kids, so it's understandable and acceptable if there are a few people getting a little tipsy. It's a vacation, time to unwind and relax. Just because there are some people who choose not to drink, doesn't mean all WDW vacation-goers should be denied a couple drinks. That would really add to the streotype that WDW is "just for kids". Oh well, to each his own, right? :)

PintoColvig

duchess1576 said:
I don't understand the big deal about serving alcohol in WDW. It's the #1 vacation spot ever, why wouldn't they serve it? It really bugs me, when people associate alcohol with just being drunk and disorderly. I don't think psychotic whinos wandering around Epcot are a common problem. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a glass of wine at Le Cellier, or a margarita at Mexico. It's enjoyable and innocent. And the clubs at Pleasure Island don't allow kids, so it's understandable and acceptable if there are a few people getting a little tipsy. It's a vacation, time to unwind and relax. Just because there are some people who choose not to drink, doesn't mean all WDW vacation-goers should be denied a couple drinks. That would really add to the streotype that WDW is "just for kids". Oh well, to each his own, right? :)

At the same time, I see no reason why it should be sold for consumption out on the walkways of a themepark. Keep inside of a restaurant or a pub. That's my preference. Of course, it's all a moot discussion. Disney will do what it will do.

Computer Magic

speck76 said:
The values, desires, tastes, and beliefs of the comsumers have changed more rapidly than anytime ever in mordern history.....this has been brought about by more rapid changes in technology, the fact that we have become creatures of excess, and a major change in the wealth of the middle class......

Hard work in never irrelevant, neither is creativity......but the hard work and creativity of Walt's day would not cut it today....

Go bakc and look at those old films.......they are only popular today because of the warm memories the older generations have attached to them from their childhood......but if Dumbo was released today for its premiere, it would not compare to even the worst WDFA films over the last 10 years.....

People would complain "the animation is bad.....looks cheap......it's only 66 minutes long......"
I agree with most of your view point. However, we can't say how Walt would have adjusted into today's world. Walt would have evolved some how, either for better or worst. He might have sold out and lost Disney or brought it to level we see today (of course not exactly as we see today)

I see a full circle here. quality products are starting to come back into play. At one time it was quantity over quality. So I do see Walts views still in play today...there was a time while quantity won out but I see a shift. I'm talking a bigger picture not exclusive to WDW.

dxwwf3

Computer Magic said:
I see a full circle here. quality products are starting to come back into play. At one time it was quantity over quality. So I do see Walts views still in play today...there was a time while quantity won out but I see a shift. I'm talking a bigger picture not exclusive to WDW.

:sohappy:

I hope you are right.

speck76

PintoColvig said:
It's not the "seeing" that has been a problem for me. It was the beer that was spilled on my daughter's shoes by the tipsy woman near the pub at the UK pavillion. :mad: Worse than a soft drink? To me, yes.

for me...parents and children should be removed from the parks before alcohol.....as en mass, they cause much more problems

speck76

Computer Magic said:
I agree with most of your view point. However, we can't say how Walt would have adjusted into today's world. Walt would have evolved some how, either for better or worst. He might have sold out and lost Disney or brought it to level we see today (of course not exactly as we see today)

Walt's views were out of touch in the late 60's....prior to his death (case in point...Epcot as a city)

If Walt had not died, the company would probably not exist today.....perhaps the death of Walt was the best thing to happen to retain the magic of what Walt originally wanted.

PintoColvig

speck76 said:
for me...parents and children should be removed from the parks before alcohol.....as en mass, they cause much more problems
Well, that's a compelling assertion. :lookaroun

Without us, there would be no DL (because Walt was inspired to build a place for parents and children to have fun together) and, consequently, there would be no WDW and all the wonderful establishments there that sell alcohol :slurp:. But, as I said before, what does all this matter because Disney won't be changing on this point either way.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Its nice to see so many have a clear understanding of the thoughts of a man who died before most were born. Either he was exceptionally one dimensional or we have a rely insightful membership here.

Or is it some are just expressing their own view in the name of Walt?

no2apprentice

speck76 said:
Then wouldn't WDW be out of business after a few weeks? After all, parents with kids are the ones spending most of the money. I know I've contributed my fair share.:lol:

Pumbas Nakasak said:
Or is it some are just expressing their own view in the name of Walt?
Bingo! We have a winner!:D

WDW_Sam

NadieMasK2 said:
I suppose I should have been more specific. It's really the Chester & Hester's area that I don't think fits the park. I agree, Dinosaur is a great ride, if it weren't for it I would never go to that area at all.

Exactly the same as me!

Sam

Taboo?

DMC-12 said:
-Smokers at WDW

-Premium Members (are):
"mean"
"rude"
"gang up on everyone"
"elitist"
"never get banned"

-Everyone Picks on Grizz

-What is Tonga Toast?

-R.I.P. Land Pavilion

-Timekeeper closed for good.

-Timekeeper closed

-Timekeeper closing

-Timekeeper closed for good

-Timekeeper shuttered

-Is Timekeeper closing?

-Timekeeper closed for good.

-Timekeeper closed

-Timekeeper sealed

-Timekeeper closed

-Timekeeper closed

-Is Timekeeper closing?

-R.I.P Carousel of Progress

:lookaroun

:D

I have a couple to add to that list:

Stroller mafia - you know who you are
Kids on leashes - who sells these things anyway, Hasbro?
This 'insert nationality here' family was really rude to us - rudeness is actually International

Dragonrider1227

speck76 said:
I said it once and I will say it many times again......

Walt died a long time ago.....

Walt never had to go through the cultural revolution and recessions in the 70's

He never had to go through the greed of the 80's, with corporate raiders, and the worship of the dollar.

He never had to go through the PC movement of the 90's, or the fact that innovation suddenly had a very short lifespan.

He never experienced the global marketplace of the 21st century, nor the major turn away from movies.

Walt has been dead a long time, his views are no longer relevant, as society has changed so much since he was alive......it does not matter what he would approve of....it only matters what the majority of consumers approve of.

Interesting thoughts. Mine were similar in the fact that Walt's time and our time are majorly different and thus, Disney has to think differently to stay top of the ladder. I feel, if Walt hadn't been such a huge smoker and not die of cancer, he would've been able to adapt fairly well. I always figured he proboly would've lasted until at least the early 80s or so.

OliveMcFly

This is a great topic. Everything I'm reading pretty much sums up my thoughts. Sometimes I wish the frozen rumor was true and he could come back and smack some sense into these people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom