Things Walt wouldn't have approved of

speck76

WDWFREAK53 said:
It's the Tokyo Megacity...to be built (if it can ever get completely greenlit) in Tokyo Bay.

It's a 3000+ foot tall "City in a Pyramid". No automobiles will be allowed...The entire transit system is based on elevators (that even go diagonal), train systems, and personal "taxis" that are like elevators that move horizontally.

The "test" for the design of this project was the Luxor out in Las Vegas. Take the Luxor...and now multiply it 50+ times and stack them to form a giant pyramid. It is to be able to hold 750,000 people and can withstand the power of a typhoon or tidal wave. The trusses can't be made out of steel because it's just WAY too heavy, so their going to use carbon nanotubes.

It was a pretty interesting show...you may be able to catch it On Demand if they offer it. (Some of the robots shown in the show are pretty freakin' cool too!)

Discovery Channel had an entire show about it on Extreme Engineering.
but can it withstand SARS or the Avian Flu?

One reason why Asia is so much more vulnerable to massive pandemics is that the populations are so concentrated.....

dxwwf3

WDWFREAK53 said:
The biggest marketing flop for Disney was Treasure Planet. I saw that movie "by accident" because there wasn't another "kid-friendly" movie and I took my little cousins to see it. I walked away shaking my head wondering how it couldn't have been that "next big Disney hit."

No kidding. I adored Treasure Planet too. And I thought Brother Bear was just as good as the Pocahontas, Hercules, Hunchback films too. It was almost like Disney was trying to make these films bomb :lookaroun

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
No kidding. I adored Treasure Planet too. And I thought Brother Bear was just as good as the Pocahontas, Hercules, Hunchback films too. It was almost like Disney was trying to make these films bomb :lookaroun
It is like "The Producers".....except Springtime for Hitler actually was a hit :lol:

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
It is like "The Producers".....except Springtime for Hitler actually was a hit :lol:

:lol:

I haven't seen the new Producers film yet, but I didn't care too much for the original and I'm a big Mel Brooks fan. It sorta got on my nerves :)
But yeah that's a pretty spot on comparison.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
I didn't care much for Treasure Planet, but I thought Emporer's New Groove and Brother Bear were both great movies. I also think poor marketing was a major reason for lack of better boxoffice performance.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
dxwwf3 said:
You are more on target than you know. Its all about factions and who likes traditional animation and who does not within Disney management. Brother Bear should have been a bigger hit than it was. Treasure Planet was a very good movie, for a remake into animation. These are two very good products that Disney has that they, in my opinion, are not utilizing to the extent that they should for marketing to boys. Girls have all the princesses, but boys, for the most part have Pan, Buzz, and Woody.

wdwishes2005

hakunamatata said:
You are more on target than you know. Its all about factions and who likes traditional animation and who does not within Disney management. Brother Bear should have been a bigger hit than it was. Treasure Planet was a very good movie, for a remake into animation. These are two very good products that Disney has that they, in my opinion, are not utilizing to the extent that they should for marketing to boys. Girls have all the princesses, but boys, for the most part have Pan, Buzz, and Woody.
We all know how the kid that adored him turned out...... :lookaroun

Interruption?

hakunamatata said:
I would much rather see a treasure planet ride then something like monsters inc. take the place of timekeeper.

thisisnotanexit

bigcarolina77 said:
I seriously doubt the MK and Disneyland would be selling alcohol today if Walt were alive today anymore than they'd be selling cigarettes, lottery tickets, adult mags/videos and anything else that's not compatible with a family atmosphere. Main Street USA ain't Bourbon Street thank God.

i agree with you.

i hate to see parents buy themselves some kind of liquor in front of their children in a resort gift shop. i think bottles of crown royal take away the childlike magic of disney world.

WDWFREAK53

thisisnotanexit said:
i agree with you.

i hate to see parents buy themselves some kind of liquor in front of their children in a resort gift shop. i think bottles of crown royal take away the childlike magic of disney world.

At least they're in little purple pouches :) :wave:

(I completely agree with you)

Captain Morgan is being added to the PotC ride :lookaroun

wdwCC

To be honest I think he would complain more about the motion picture part of the business than the theme parks. He did say Epcot would never be finished, so he expected change. But never to have another original idea ever again is something I think he would have a problem with. I mean there isn't a Mary Poppins the ride anywhere is there? You never saw Carousel of Progress the movie either. The movie side is now just recycling old ideas, Flubber, Parent Trap, etc. But then so are the other big studios.

Gregory

Enderikari said:
The first two is a man who absolutely hated Disney, and everything it stood for as long as he wasn't in charge, the second is the website that he put up so that he could try and convince everyone to think the same thing that he did...

Thrawn is a guy who was a complete smarty-pants, you either liked him or hated him, but he picked a fight with the wrong guy (Steve)
Unlike dxwwf3, I don't value my membership here, so I'm going to say exactly whats on my mind.

For those of you who don't know Grizz, he's still in the top 5 posters on this site- he used to be #1, but a combination of him leaving a few months ago and him slowly deleting his posts (because his request to have them all deleted was denied) brought him down a few pegs.

Grizz wore many hats, and most people on this board know "Grizz the Showman", much like Walt himself was. He grew up with Disney, and I would challenge anyone here to claim to know more about the company and its history than him- whether you like his opinions or not is irrelevant.

Roy Disney's "SaveDisney.com" campaign (which was initially met with great praise on these boards, and those of us who were against it were put down.. Funny how opinions change as time goes on...) believed that taking Michael Eisner out of play would magically change the status of the company. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't- time will tell.

But Grizz, who had less personal reasons for wanting change in Disney (Could Roy have put his name in any more places? Grizz wont even give out his real name, let alone start a campaign whos slogan is something similar to Roy's "Roy is right"), also began a website. A number of members of this site (MKT, SirNim, and me) signed on to help out. Grizz's theory was that you had to work your way up, and start with the small things in order to change the big things.

For those of you "newbies", it's important to understand that if the self-appointed elite members on the site don't agree with what you are saying, they will make your life a living hell. Don't believe me? Post something contradictory to a post by someone like 'speck76', and see how long you have any desire to come back to WDWMagic. While many people liked Grizz, there were a few mean-spirited people who constantly bashed him and his site for hating Disney, and for obsessing over irrelevent things (he had a section called bad show, where he posted pictures of things that he felt ruined the magic, including the one time he posted a picture about chipped paint). The users on this site bashed him for the negative points (though I personally would have considered it constructive criticism) on his site, and completely ignored the good things he said about Disney (which most likely outnumbered the bad)...

So, this site forced one of Disney's biggest supporters into "moving on" to something other than Disney. He had valuable inside information on both D-Troops and WDWMagic, and his facts were met with name calling (one example I can think of off hand is this one). I can't say I blame him, as WDWMagic has turned me away from Disney to a certain extent.

On top of that, he has many hard personal issues he's dealing with. Like I said, you know "Grizz the Showman", and to a certain extent thats all I really knew as well. But, what I did know of his personal life, I know that the one place he used to turn was WDWMagic, and he practically killed him when he was forced to leave (on his own free will, but its not like he really had a choice). I haven't been able to contact him, and others close to him can attest to what I'm saying.

There is a lot you don't know about Grizz, and those of you who made his life miserable on this forum think nothing of it. He was never mean, and only posted his opinions- the way you treated him and his opinions (whether they were correct or not) is something I'd expect from someplace like China, not a Disney website.

So, like I have said in this longwinded post, what you thought of what he said is irrelevant- I didn't agree with him a lot of the time as well. The fact still stands (and theres proof seeing as to how months after he dissapeared, you are still bashing him) that you have began an atmosphere of fear around here. It's not my website, and I know what I think doesn't matter. But, I think Steve is compromising his brilliant website by not banning a large number of the members here who think their post count gives them the right to be jerks to whoever they want.

Shaman

Gregory said:
Unlike dxwwf3, I don't value my membership here, so I'm going to say exactly whats on my mind.

For those of you who don't know Grizz, he's still in the top 5 posters on this site- he used to be #1, but a combination of him leaving a few months ago and him slowly deleting his posts (because his request to have them all deleted was denied) brought him down a few pegs.

Grizz wore many hats, and most people on this board know "Grizz the Showman", much like Walt himself was. He grew up with Disney, and I would challenge anyone here to claim to know more about the company and its history than him- whether you like his opinions or not is irrelevant.

Roy Disney's "SaveDisney.com" campaign (which was initially met with great praise on these boards, and those of us who were against it were put down.. Funny how opinions change as time goes on...) believed that taking Michael Eisner out of play would magically change the status of the company. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't- time will tell.

But Grizz, who had less personal reasons for wanting change in Disney (Could Roy have put his name in any more places? Grizz wont even give out his real name, let alone start a campaign whos slogan is something similar to Roy's "Roy is right"), also began a website. A number of members of this site (MKT, SirNim, and me) signed on to help out. Grizz's theory was that you had to work your way up, and start with the small things in order to change the big things.

For those of you "newbies", it's important to understand that if the self-appointed elite members on the site don't agree with what you are saying, they will make your life a living hell. Don't believe me? Post something contradictory to a post by someone like 'speck76', and see how long you have any desire to come back to WDWMagic. While many people liked Grizz, there were a few mean-spirited people who constantly bashed him and his site for hating Disney, and for obsessing over irrelevent things (he had a section called bad show, where he posted pictures of things that he felt ruined the magic, including the one time he posted a picture about chipped paint). The users on this site bashed him for the negative points (though I personally would have considered it constructive criticism) on his site, and completely ignored the good things he said about Disney (which most likely outnumbered the bad)...

So, this site forced one of Disney's biggest supporters into "moving on" to something other than Disney. He had valuable inside information on both D-Troops and WDWMagic, and his facts were met with name calling (one example I can think of off hand is this one). I can't say I blame him, as WDWMagic has turned me away from Disney to a certain extent.

On top of that, he has many hard personal issues he's dealing with. Like I said, you know "Grizz the Showman", and to a certain extent thats all I really knew as well. But, what I did know of his personal life, I know that the one place he used to turn was WDWMagic, and he practically killed him when he was forced to leave (on his own free will, but its not like he really had a choice). I haven't been able to contact him, and others close to him can attest to what I'm saying.

There is a lot you don't know about Grizz, and those of you who made his life miserable on this forum think nothing of it. He was never mean, and only posted his opinions- the way you treated him and his opinions (whether they were correct or not) is something I'd expect from someplace like China, not a Disney website.

So, like I have said in this longwinded post, what you thought of what he said is irrelevant- I didn't agree with him a lot of the time as well. The fact still stands (and theres proof seeing as to how months after he dissapeared, you are still bashing him) that you have began an atmosphere of fear around here. It's not my website, and I know what I think doesn't matter. But, I think Steve is compromising his brilliant website by not banning a large number of the members here who think their post count gives them the right to be jerks to whoever they want.

I like to think everyone's opinion is valid and should be respected, whether we like what people have to say or not. Sometimes it's not the what people say, but the way people say it (or how often) that offends others....and hey, once you post you should be ready for the reactions that post will get; people won't always agree when they're discussing things....and I see nothing wrong with that either.

speck76

Gregory said:
For those of you "newbies", it's important to understand that if the self-appointed elite members on the site don't agree with what you are saying, they will make your life a living hell. Don't believe me? Post something contradictory to a post by someone like 'speck76', and see how long you have any desire to come back to WDWMagic. QUOTE]

While I do not agree with many things many people say.....unless the person is an absolute idiot (trollish), I respond with logic, facts, and not much else.

Some people can handle that.....many can't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom