Theme park group says state guidelines ‘sentence’ laid off and furloughed workers to ‘poverty’ - OCR/SCNG

TP2000

As a scientist myself, that was an utter failure on all fronts. If I had data that was going to severely impact people's lives, and was in a conference specifically to talk about those impacts... She should have SOMETHING. It's not a scientific problem, it's common sense.

Yes. Which is what made Dr. Ferrer's inept press conference yesterday so shocking.

Not to mention shocking to the LA restaurant industry, which was only left more infuriated after Dr. Ferrer's rambling and vague public statements.

I think LA's restauranteurs can understand now how Disney and Universal and Cedar Fair must feel now. These are arbitrary mandates that have little to no real science and data behind them. You aren't supposed to ask for the science and data. And if you step out of line and do ask, you get muted.

Interestingly, Pasadena is not going to obey Dr. Ferrer's mandate and is allowing its restaurants to remain open for outdoor dining. It's interesting to see cracks appear and some pushback begin to happen against our betters in government. Kind of like the pretend curfew that isn't being enforced by anyone.

LastoneOn

Interestingly, Pasadena is not going to obey Dr. Ferrer's mandate and is allowing its restaurants to remain open for outdoor dining. It's interesting to see cracks appear and some pushback begin to happen against our betters in government. Kind of like the pretend curfew that isn't being enforced by anyone.

It says since Pasadena has its own health department, they can issue their own guidelines.
Doesn't every city?

Should Anaheim start one up? Could get it going in an hour.

MoonRakerSCM

Actually no, within LA county only Pasadena, Long Beach, and Vernon do. All guidelines and rules are through those entities and the county does not have jurisdiction if the city Dept of health says so. (I've obtained many permits involving groundwater via all entities except Vernon).

LastoneOn

Actually no, within LA county only Pasadena, Long Beach, and Vernon do. All guidelines and rules are through those entities and the county does not have jurisdiction if the city Dept of health says so. (I've obtained many permits involving groundwater via all entities except Vernon).
Huh. Is that a legacy situation, decades ago or recent?

jaklgreen

The spread seems to worst in bars, restaurants, large indoors gatherings, churches, factories, prisons, nursing homes, and the White House. Schools themselves don't seem to be particularly high risk spreaders but social activities related to colleges seem to be pretty bad. Outdoor spread seems to be minimal even in large gatherings if most people wear masks although with the Midwest (especially the Dakotas) blowing up it certainly looks like Sturgis (where few wore masks) caused significant spread. Contact tracing is next to impossible in places with uncontrolled spread which is most of the US right now.

National leadership with clear messaging would have been very beneficial. Local guidelines can only do so much when there there are no real restrictions on interstate travel. That's likely why places which draw people from all over like Disneyland remain closed in states where government actually tries to reduce spread. Disney World has almost certainly caused significant spread but contact tracing in Florida is virtually non-existent so we'll never know.

Where I live, schools are getting more and more cases. I work in the evenings with a woman who's first job is a junior high lunch lady and she gets the district email notifications on cases. She comes in and reads them with all of the new cases, almost on a daily basis. I think that restaurants should just be take out.

D

Deleted member 107043

It's ironic, park workers work for a company whose CEO at the time Iger was the highest compensated CEO in the ENTIRE country.

Disney revealed this week that it will be laying off a total of 32,000 workers this quarter, 4,000 more than was previously announced.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

Disney revealed this week that it will be laying off a total of 32,000 workers this quarter, 4,000 more than was previously announced.

View attachment 515953

That tweet is not true. Disney has not paid a dividend in 2020 and has already announced that the next one is suspended as well. Chapek took a 50% cut in pay, not 5%.

D

Deleted member 107043

That tweet is not true. Disney has not paid a dividend in 2020 and has already announced that the next one is suspended as well. Chapek took a 50% cut in pay, not 5%.

Thanks for the correction.

Edit: I deleted it from the post to avoid spreading misinformation.

Old Mouseketeer

It's really a kick in the gut that Disney has to lay off another 4000 workers. I imagine those would all or mostly come from Anaheim since there's no reopening in sight. I'm sure glad I don't work in Burbank--they must feel like they're bailing water with a bucket on the Titanic. The CMs I know here in OC are stressed to the max, even if they're still on furlough. They're watching friends get laid off and know they're on the chopping block again. But I don't see any way Disney can avoid this--keeping those 4000 folks on furlough and covering healthcare at 100% must be tens of millions of dollars. The Disney board is trying to keep the company solvent. I'm not thrilled about the high executive compensation, but most of that is in bonuses and those are collapsing. I have one older friend who just turned 65 and she elected to sign up for full Medicare benefits even though it duplicates what she gets from Disney because she's afraid of getting laid off.

All indications are that things are going to get worse before we can implement the vaccines, even if they are as effective as promised. Looks like we're in for a "hard candy christmas". Who ever expected that the "Happiest Place on Earth" could turn so sad! If you know any CMs, offer them a kind word (here in the OC it's hard not to know any). And keep the people you care about safe.

lazyboy97o

It's really a kick in the gut that Disney has to lay off another 4000 workers. I imagine those would all or mostly come from Anaheim since there's no reopening in sight. I'm sure glad I don't work in Burbank--they must feel like they're bailing water with a bucket on the Titanic. The CMs I know here in OC are stressed to the max, even if they're still on furlough. They're watching friends get laid off and know they're on the chopping block again. But I don't see any way Disney can avoid this--keeping those 4000 folks on furlough and covering healthcare at 100% must be tens of millions of dollars. The Disney board is trying to keep the company solvent. I'm not thrilled about the high executive compensation, but most of that is in bonuses and those are collapsing. I have one older friend who just turned 65 and she elected to sign up for full Medicare benefits even though it duplicates what she gets from Disney because she's afraid of getting laid off.

All indications are that things are going to get worse before we can implement the vaccines, even if they are as effective as promised. Looks like we're in for a "hard candy christmas". Who ever expected that the "Happiest Place on Earth" could turn so sad! If you know any CMs, offer them a kind word (here in the OC it's hard not to know any). And keep the people you care about safe.
The 32,000 number comes from Disney’s recent 10-K filing which says it is across the company. At this time there is no indication that these are additional layoffs at the parks.

Chef Mickey

Not directly but downplaying the effects while using the term democratic hoax still sends a message. A nurse in the Dakotas the other day talked about how she has to argue with patients about being infected. They think they have pneumonia or even lung cancer but not covid 19 because of the messaging stuck. It's like the flu and will go away.
The flu is far worse than Covid if you look at the entire body of work, at least at this point. It kills tens of thousands every year, has done so for decades, and will continue to do so...with a vaccine.

Covid-19 isn't the first respiratory virus we've seen or deal with on a daily and yearly basis.

Covid has sucked, but it's certainly been pushed by the media as the biggest threat to public health. It's not. Obesity is far more dangerous, as one example.

Covid-19 has largely impacted the elderly (not even considering underlying conditions). According to the CDC, 80% of all "Covid" deaths are folks over 65. Think about that. 80%. And that's not even questioning the 94% of all deaths involving an average of 2.9 "other" conditions present. That's a lot of "Covid" deaths that had 3 other things going on at time of death that may have been just as significant in their death.

No one thinks the elderly people don't matter, but mass shutdowns of everyone healthy and not have proven ineffective.

Call everyone an America an idiot all you want, but the shutdowns don't work. Fact.

Given that the case count is nearing 20M, you have to believe that ther real number is perhaps 3-5X that, maybe more. The time for "stopping the spread" with a shutdown is over.

The best we can do now is precautions and get people who are willing vaccinated, particularly the aforementioned 65+ group. Do that and this is largely over.

Disneyland not being able to re-open is a travesty, with real, measurable impacts to the people of California. They should be raising hell to get this stuff changed.

Last edited:

el_super

The flu is far worse than Covid

This is misinformation.

No one thinks the elderly people don't matter, but mass shutdowns of everyone healthy and not have proven ineffective.

They are effective. The Bay Area, which is still adhering to strict restrictions, has far more ICU capacity available.

1607812097712.png

Call everyone an America an idiot all you want, but the shutdowns don't work. Fact.

The shutdowns we have implemented don't work. Other more restrictive shutdowns have worked, and have proven effective. What you posted above is not a fact, but misinformation. During a public health crisis, it's important not to spread misinformation, as it can directly lead to more risk and more death.

Disneyland not being able to re-open is a travesty, with real, measurable impacts to the people of California. They should be raising hell to get this stuff changed.

If, for some other reason than COVID, the OC hospital capacity was about to "collapse," they would need to shut down Disneyland anyway. I am glad Disneyland is closed, and bewildered at the fact that Downtown Disney is still allowed to be open.

Had everything been shut down (nation wide) for just a few weeks longer in May, we would have been done with this by now.

Misinformation, like the kind you posted above, is the reason this is dragging on for so long. You want Disneyland to open? Stay home. Don't gather with people from outside your household. Only leave the house for essential supplies and exercise. Wash your hands, wear a mask and STAY HOME.

jaklgreen

The flu is far worse than Covid if you look at the entire body of work, at least at this point. It kills tens of thousands every year, has done so for decades, and will continue to do so...with a vaccine.

Covid-19 isn't the first respiratory virus we've seen or deal with on a daily and yearly basis.

Covid has sucked, but it's certainly been pushed by the media as the biggest threat to public health. It's not. Obesity is far more dangerous, as one example.

Covid-19 has largely impacted the elderly (not even considering underlying conditions). According to the CDC, 80% of all "Covid" deaths are folks over 65. Think about that. 80%. And that's not even questioning the 94% of all deaths involving an average of 2.9 "other" conditions present. That's a lot of "Covid" deaths that had 3 other things going on at time of death that may have been just as significant in their death.

Given that the case count is nearing 20M, you have to believe that ther real number is perhaps 3-5X that, maybe more. The time for "stopping the spread" with a shutdown is over.

The best we can do now is precautions and get people who are willing vaccinated, particularly the aforementioned 65+ group. Do that and this is largely over.

I don't think the professionals thought that they were going to stop the spread. Their goal was to slow it down so that the hospitals did not become over run. They have actually said that from almost the beginning.

Chef Mickey

This is misinformation.

They are effective. The Bay Area, which is still adhering to strict restrictions, has far more ICU capacity available.

View attachment 518542

The shutdowns we have implemented don't work. Other more restrictive shutdowns have worked, and have proven effective. What you posted above is not a fact, but misinformation. During a public health crisis, it's important not to spread misinformation, as it can directly lead to more risk and more death.

If, for some other reason than COVID, the OC hospital capacity was about to "collapse," they would need to shut down Disneyland anyway. I am glad Disneyland is closed, and bewildered at the fact that Downtown Disney is still allowed to be open.

Had everything been shut down (nation wide) for just a few weeks longer in May, we would have been done with this by now.

Misinformation, like the kind you posted above, is the reason this is dragging on for so long. You want Disneyland to open? Stay home. Don't gather with people from outside your household. Only leave the house for essential supplies and exercise. Wash your hands, wear a mask and STAY HOME.
What a joke. That's not misinformation. The flu KILLS 40,000/yr on average over the last 10 per the CDC. How long has it done that? In 10 years, it's 400,000 people dead. Dead is pretty much THE measure when it comes to how serious a virus is for humans. No one said a case of the flu is worse than a case of Covid, but it certainly has killed more people overall. Covid may be completely eradicated soon. It may not be, but it's too early to say. The flu appears to have no shot at being eradicated. Hence the danger.

We can't stay home...we have to work. We have to live our lives.

Talk about misinformation? A few weeks longer shutting down (I think you mean March, not May) and the economy might have been permanently screwed. Shutdowns have impacts, including death. Plus, lockdowns won't end the spread completely. You shutdown another month, you still have "essential" services running (with spread) and people gathering in homes, etc. You can't lock people up completely. When the spread starts again, your protracted lockdown not only ruins the economy, the virus spreads again an you are dealing with it again.

Disneyland CAN open, just like Florida. Your "ideal" approach to a shutdown is not going to happen, so you are howling at the wind. We have to be pragmatic and part of that would be allowing the people of California to do their jobs and run their businesses, with reasonable precautions such as those imposed by WDW...which have worked and continue to work well. If Disneyland is closed, why is Walmart open (and had been open basically the entire time). Unfair, silly, and doesn't accomplish the spirit of a complete lockdown, which isn't possible.

Chef Mickey

I don't think the professionals thought that they were going to stop the spread. Their goal was to slow it down so that the hospitals did not become over run. They have actually said that from almost the beginning.
Yeah, and we accomplished that. Most hospitals are just fine and are much better prepared to deal with the influx of patients. I work in the industry and have access to these numbers. Hospitals are largely fine, despite what you may see with anecdotal reporting from our media friends.

unmitigated disaster

What a joke. That's not misinformation. The flu KILLS 40,000/yr on average over the last 10 per the CDC. How long has it done that? In 10 years, it's 400,000 people dead. Dead is pretty much THE measure when it comes to how serious a virus is for humans. No one said a case of the flu is worse than a case of Covid, but it certainly has killed more people overall. Covid may be completely eradicated soon. It may not be, but it's too early to say. The flu appears to have no shot at being eradicated. Hence the danger.

We can't stay home...we have to work. We have to live our lives.

Talk about misinformation? A few weeks longer shutting down (I think you mean March, not May) and the economy might have been permanently screwed. Shutdowns have impacts, including death. Plus, lockdowns won't end the spread completely. You shutdown another month, you still have "essential" services running (with spread) and people gathering in homes, etc. You can't lock people up completely. When the spread starts again, your protracted lockdown not only ruins the economy, the virus spreads again an you are dealing with it again.

Disneyland CAN open, just like Florida. Your "ideal" approach to a shutdown is not going to happen, so you are howling at the wind. We have to be pragmatic and part of that would be allowing the people of California to do their jobs and run their businesses, with reasonable precautions such as those imposed by WDW...which have worked and continue to work well. If Disneyland is closed, why is Walmart open (and had been open basically the entire time). Unfair, silly, and doesn't accomplish the spirit of a complete lockdown, which isn't possible.
Covid-19 has killed 300,000 in less than a year. Now, I am no mathematician, but that means 260,000 more deaths than the flu.

And it's more than deaths. Some people who recovered in March still have heart and lung issues.

Also, from a humanitarian point of view, saying "it mostly kills the elderly. So?" is not likely to win you any points.

jaklgreen

Yeah, and we accomplished that. Most hospitals are just fine and are much better prepared to deal with the influx of patients. I work in the industry and have access to these numbers. Hospitals are largely fine, despite what you may see with anecdotal reporting from our media friends.

Yeah, I think at this point in time, now that we know more, having complete lockdowns is not the way to go. I can see shutting down huge hot spots but nothing on a national level. But the reason why they go to these extremes is because of the jerks that disregard all safety precautions. They won't wear masks, they gather in large numbers, and they put other's at risk. If everyone did a reasonable job by keeping their masks on and staying away from others as much as possible, we wouldn't be seeing these spikes. Open things up, but wear your mask and keep your distance. We know that works. It is very frustrating to those of us who have been doing the right thing. I work part time at a local grocery store doing online shopping. We all wear our masks and keep our distance. There have been no outbreaks of Covid at my work place. Almost all customers wear their masks. Where the spread is happening is when you get together with your friends and take off your masks.

Chef Mickey

Covid-19 has killed 300,000 in less than a year. Now, I am no mathematician, but that means 260,000 more deaths than the flu.

And it's more than deaths. Some people who recovered in March still have heart and lung issues.

Also, from a humanitarian point of view, saying "it mostly kills the elderly. So?" is not likely to win you any points.
I guess you missed the part of the flu being around longer and killing 40,000/yr? What's worse, 40,000 deaths per year forever or 300,000 one year and then it's gone? Again, NOT saying Covid is permanently going away, but the flu has been consistent killer and we let it happen like it's just "part of life." The flu killed even more people before the vaccine too.

Killing the elderly is a hugely important data point for the way you would handle this. Locking down the nation is a silly solution that hasn't worked anyway. Also, let's talk about the humanitarian issues with locking people in their homes, denying them the ability to, you know, live, work, and pursue happiness?

Again, there are MASSIVE costs to shutting anything down. Look at just Disneyland to stay on topic. What are those people supposed to do?

Life is a #%#% sandwich sometimes and you people have to understand it's going to always be the greatest good for the greatest number. It is in the interest of WAY more people to allow the economy to function and take precautions versus just shutting things down. By the way, shutdowns will never work because you will NEVER get your "ideal" shutdown scenario and the virus will immediately start spreading again post shutdown.

This vaccine, along with precautions and care is the way out. More shutting down is silly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom