Theme park group says state guidelines ‘sentence’ laid off and furloughed workers to ‘poverty’ - OCR/SCNG

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>>A lobbying group representing Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood and other California theme parks says COVID-19 reopening guidelines issued by Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration will “sentence” laid off and furloughed workers to “poverty.”

The California Attractions and Parks Association said in a statement that the decision to place the state’s large theme parks in the most-restrictive tier of Newsom’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy will keep the major tourist destinations closed indefinitely.

“We continue to urge the Newsom Administration to reconsider the impact of their Tier 4 sentence for California’s major theme parks,” CAPA executive director Erin Guerrero said in a statement. “The current guidance will keep theme parks closed indefinitely and leave thousands of theme park workers in poverty.”

The Sacramento-based CAPA represents Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood, Knott’s Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, SeaWorld San Diego, Legoland California, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and California’s Great America.

COVID-19 health and safety reopening guidelines issued by the state could leave large California theme parks unable to return until early 2021 or next summer.

Disneyland has announced plans to furlough additional executive, salaried and hourly workers in the wake of COVID-19 reopening guidelines from Newsom’s administration that have left California theme parks “in limbo” for the foreseeable future.

“Since Disneyland resort closed its gates in March, nothing has been more important than fully reopening and getting our cast members back to work,” Disneyland president Ken Potrock wrote in a letter to employees. “That’s why it is with heavy hearts we find ourselves in the untenable situation of having to institute additional furloughs for our executive, salaried and hourly cast.”

Disney furloughed non-essential employees at its U.S. theme parks in April. Disneylaid laid off approximately 10,000 employees in September. The latest round of Disneyland furloughs were announced on Monday, Nov. 9.

The theme park industry has been heavily affected by coronavirus-related closures and reopening capacity restrictions. A survey of International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions members in April found that 59% of their employees had been terminated or furloughed without pay.

“California’s amusement parks never take the decision to furlough or lay off employees lightly,” Guerrero said in a statement. “Park employees’ lives and livelihoods are completely intertwined with the parks where they work. Parks have gone to great lengths to keep their loyal workers employed throughout this pandemic, but the extended shut down makes this impossible.”

California issued separate reopening guidelines for small and large theme parks. Small theme parks with a capacity of fewer than 15,000 visitors can reopen in the orange/moderate tier 3 while large theme parks can return in the yellow/minimal tier 4. CAPA has pleaded with the Newsom administration to allow large California theme parks like Disneyland and Universal Studios Hollywood to reopen in the less-restrictive orange/moderate tier 3.

“There are real people suffering economic instability, worried about putting food on the tables for their families,” Guerrero said in a statement. “The Newsom administration’s Tier 4 designation means that park employees will continue to suffer even when we reach the moderate Tier 3 and many other parts of the economy are allowed to reopen. Parks are ready to reopen responsibly in Tier 3 with significant modifications that protect the health and safety of both employees and guests.”

Unemployed Universal Studios Hollywood ride mechanic Lavelle Pratt has repeatedly asked Newsom to allow California theme parks to reopen immediately.

“I’m 3 to 4 months away from losing everything and living in a car,” Pratt said via email. “I’m dying financially.”<<

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
It's sad that California can't find a better middle ground than what they've done the past 8 months. Obviously, cases are spiking everywhere, but the response from CA is not because of that. Millions are going to suffer because of this and industries are going to shrink considerably. It's clear that Newsom is not an economist, not by any stretch of the imagination.

RollerCoaster

The fact that cases are spiking across the country proves that California's ultra restrictive measures don't work. If cases weren't increasing in California then you could argue that the extra restrictions in California are effective. However, that's not the case, so all they're doing is destroying businesses and ruining lives with these measures. States like Texas and Florida are going to emerge from this disaster far better off than California. Poverty is a major killer and it seems as if California wants to sink an even larger percentage of the population into poverty.

truecoat

The fact that cases are spiking across the country proves that California's ultra restrictive measures don't work. If cases weren't increasing in California then you could argue that the extra restrictions in California are effective. However, that's not the case, so all they're doing is destroying businesses and ruining lives with these measures. States like Texas and Florida are going to emerge from this disaster far better off than California. Poverty is a major killer and it seems as if California wants to sink an even larger percentage of the population into poverty.

The restrictive measures work if people abide by them. That hasn't been the case so far due to the virus being a "hoax" or "just like the flu".

truecoat

Since everyone knows what you're alluding to. Trump never called covid a hoax and the only people who have are those who were claiming he did because they blindly hate him.

Not directly but downplaying the effects while using the term democratic hoax still sends a message. A nurse in the Dakotas the other day talked about how she has to argue with patients about being infected. They think they have pneumonia or even lung cancer but not covid 19 because of the messaging stuck. It's like the flu and will go away.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Since everyone knows what you're alluding to. Trump never called covid a hoax and the only people who have are those who were claiming he did because they blindly hate him.

He said "This is their [Democrats] new hoax", but that doesn't lessen the way he has downplayed this entire thing.

And many people hate him and it's not blind hatred.

MoonRakerSCM

Taken out of context, he was speaking about democrats response, just as you're doing now, proving him right. He never called covid a hoax. It is blind hatred as evidenced on this very forum, people hate him for false situations that don't exist and were created within their own mind.

'Oh noooo! Trump called it a hoax!'
'Acually no he didn't'
'Well, he did in my mind, and he's still bad'

lazyboy97o

Many have claimed that there is widespread and deliberate misdiagnosis and attribution to death. Such intentional misdiagnosis would clearly be “an act intended to trick or dupe people” into believe the virus is more widespread and/or severe than it is in actuality.

MoonRakerSCM

I guess if lazyboy says it, then it's true. Billions must not be wearing their masks in OC and claiming it's all hoodoo. Damn I've been so blind.

Nirya

Taken out of context, he was speaking about democrats response, just as you're doing now, proving him right. He never called covid a hoax. It is blind hatred as evidenced on this very forum, people hate him for false situations that don't exist and were created within their own mind.

'Oh noooo! Trump called it a hoax!'
'Acually no he didn't'
'Well, he did in my mind, and he's still bad'

Dude, he's on tape saying his plan was to downplay the virus. The people involved with policy discussions have admitted he hasn't attended task force meetings in a few months.

You don't have to carry water for Trump, it's pretty evident how badly he screwed up the response.

Stevek

Speaking of our state, I am not sure how the outdoor dining only mandate for restaurants in CA will work out now that the weather is colder. I feel tough times are ahead.
I was telling my wife the same thing. Places have been surviving because eating outside is manageable due to weather. They could still make it work with outdoor heaters but IF we get any rain, all bets are off. I don't even want to think about the places in our second home in Big Bear that will have to deal with snow and freezing weather. I think they will hang on but it will be very tough, skeleton crews only with A LOT of rent forgiveness. Hopefully these landlords realize it's just a matter of time before business picks back up and they are better off keeping previously successful tenants vs starting all over again.

Stevek

Good points. I didn't even think of places like Big Bear where this isnt even feasible at all. I feel so bad for these businesses .
We are going up to our place next weekend for a couple of days, temps are still reasonable but I've had many winters up there where it's snowing and there is no way some of these places can remain open. Literally 90% of the restaurants have very limited, if any, covered outdoor seating. We have so many places we love up there I truly hope they survive and Big Bear thrives once again. It was definitely very popular when we were up there a couple of weeks ago...scary popular with the streets and restaurants packed (outdoor only).

TP2000

Good points. I didn't even think of places like Big Bear where this isnt even feasible at all. I feel so bad for these businesses .

Or anywhere north of Santa Barbara.

Forecast for tomorrow in Sacramento is rain all day with a high of 60 and a low of 46. You want to dine outdoors tomorrow evening in Sacramento when its rainy and 53 degrees at 7pm?

Or what about Portland? Forecast for tomorrow is a half inch of rain, high of 51 and a low of 42. You want to dine outdoors tomorrow evening in Portland when its rainy and 48 degrees at 7pm?

It's only mid November. It gets colder and rainier from here. And in January it snows.

TP2000

Let me guess, this is all due to the white OC housewives that complained about wearing a mask in Starbucks right?

Without them covid would have been over months ago, right?

Orange County has one of the lowest transmission rates of the top 10 most populous California counties. So I'm afraid not even the most liberal amongst us can blame the Real Housewives of OC who won't wear a mask to the botox parlor.

Look how awful both Los Angeles County and Sacramento County is, home to our betters. OC has roughly half the case rates as those two counties do.

These are the 10 most populous counties in California, ranked from worst to best on their current COVID case rates as of Monday, November 16th.

1. San Bernardino County, 2.2 Million = 27.6 Covid Cases Per 100,000
2. Sacramento County, 1.5 Million = 21.2 Covid Cases Per 100,000
3. Riverside County, 2.5 Million = 21.1 Covid Cases Per 100,000
4. Los Angeles County, 10.2 Million = 20.6 Covid Cases Per 100,000
5. Fresno County, 1.0 Million = 13.9 Covid Cases Per 100,000
6. San Diego County, 3.3 Million = 12.1 Covid Cases Per 100,000
7. Santa Clara County, 1.9 Million = 11.9 Covid Cases Per 100,000
8. Contra Costa County, 1.1 Million = 11.4 Covid Cases Per 100,000
9. Orange County, 3.2 Million = 10.8 Covid Cases Per 100,000
10. Alameda County, 1.7 Million = 9.1 Covid Cases Per 100,000

I've said it before, but more big counties should try and be as healthy as OC is. But we need to double down and beat those losers in Alameda County! Go OC, beat Alameda!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom