The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

skypilot2922

50th-anniversary-banners-magic-kingdom-wdw-entrance-4-700x525.jpg

50th-anniversary-banners-magic-kingdom-wdw-entrance-5-700x600.jpg

E86n_hGWUAA9yx2

Those are about the laziest celebration banners I have ever seen, my hometown chamber of commerce does a better job. are there NO creatives left in the company and you turned a graphic design intern loose on the project.

ImperfectPixie

Those are about the laziest celebration banners I have ever seen, my hometown chamber of commerce does a better job. are there NO creatives left in the company and you turned a graphic design intern loose on the project.
Not to mention that whoever okayed the bottom pole going behind text should be fired. You can do a funky banner shape, but the way they did these is shamefully bad. (I have been in the sign business for many years)

ImperfectPixie

Having it all crumpled right in the middle of the text there does look pretty bad.
Never put any graphics or text on a banner where a pole will go - EVER. They should have made the banners taller to avoid that...it really gives me the impression that the design department knows absolutely zero about fabrication and mounting requirements. (I'm not saying that's definitely what's happening, but having experience in the field, that's sure what it looks like.)

And I'll never understand why they went with pink and gold...there isn't enough contrast. One of the first things you learn in graphic design is that if something doesn't look good in greyscale, it's not going to look good in color.

skypilot2922

Never put any graphics or text on a banner where a pole will go - EVER. They should have made the banners taller to avoid that...it really gives me the impression that the design department knows absolutely zero about fabrication and mounting requirements. (I'm not saying that's definitely what's happening, but having experience in the field, that's sure what it looks like.)

And I'll never understand why they went with pink and gold...there isn't enough contrast. One of the first things you learn in graphic design is that if something doesn't look good in greyscale, it's not going to look good in color.

skypilot2922

I'm a photographer (hobby) and that kind of low contrast doesn't lend itself to photos that pop. A banner should be designed to POP! it's not an instruction placard in the cockpit of an aircraft which tend to be clear but non visually distracting. Once again was this done by a first year intern in graphic design ??? instead of supposedly by the worlds leading media company!!!!

ImperfectPixie

I'm a photographer (hobby) and that kind of low contrast doesn't lend itself to photos that pop. A banner should be designed to POP! it's not an instruction placard in the cockpit of an aircraft which tend to be clear but non visually distracting. Once again was this done by a first year intern in graphic design ??? instead of supposedly by the worlds leading media company!!!!
And even an intern should know the above. :banghead: I had that drilled into my head my first 3 months...in classes, we weren't allowed to print in color without proofing in grayscale first.

aliceismad

Not to mention how hard it is to read from a distance. It kind of fails in all the things a sign should do.

Figments Friend

Yeah, I am also a bit puzzled as to why they went with a gold/ rust / salmon color scheme.
'Rose Gold' trend rearing its head again...?

I was under the impression that the marketing color palette for the 50th was blue and gold, along with the blue/light blue/purple ' EARidescent' color touches.
These banners would be more eye catching and easier to decern from a distance if they had blue backgrounds and gold lettering.

A slight head scratcher, indeed.

But hey!
We are getting a statue of 'Abu'...the hairy little theif from Agrabah!
🙈🙉🙊

-

skypilot2922

I honestly thought the washed-out effect was the result of bad photographs. I'm genuinely shocked that the banners look like that.

Disney has been greedy for a long time. Incompetence seems like a worrying addition to this that is more and more in evidence.

Always happens like this, Grade A people only hire Grade A people, Grade B people hire Grade C people and so it goes down the line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom