The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

skypilot2922

but I thought the anniversary was being dragged out for 2 years... So the banners are not necessarily "temporary"...and all banners exposed to the sun for that length of time would need replacing...
I just did a quick change, obviously I did not use the proper fonts, just wanted to throw a quick idea out there.View attachment 580382
And your quick swag at a banner looks 1000% better than the amateur hour thing the worlds greatest media company came up with.

brb1006

The criticisms were all very clear and offered distinct suggestions of what they would have done:
1) do not place text or graphics in front of the mounting bar
2) modify the colors to increase the contrast
3) use the older logo

Nobody claimed 'change' as an objection.
Thank you, I really wished Disney decided to bring back the old WDW logo for this event (outside of merchandising) instead of the generic one that was introduced in 1996.

aliceismad

I do too, but the problem is they've used too many characters from too few movies. They're going to end up only representing characters from about 15 movies total.

Very happy to see Gus and Jaq, though.
It's gonna really mess things up when they use all 7 dwarves. ;) Just kidding, everyone knows Grumpy and Dopey are the only ones that sell merch.

I do wish it was 50 statues rather than 50 characters, but it does make their choices that much more interesting.

UNCgolf

There is already over 15 animated classic or pixar movies represented (and that's without going into how many different movies R2-D2 was in since he is not in any animated classics). By my count we have 16 disney animated classic movies represented with a character and 8 pixar movies, plus the star wars movies. We still have 21 characters to go.

I suppose I should have clarified that I meant franchise -- Woody just represents Toy Story; the fact that there are four of them is irrelevant.

If the additional characters all came from other movies, it would be fine. However, that other website had a full list that we thought was just guessing but has been completely accurate up to this point. If it stays accurate, then a lot of the additional characters are going to come from franchises that are already represented.

This is the list of represented franchises thus far:

Lion King
Aladdin
Lilo and Stitch
Winnie the Pooh
The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Soul
The Incredibles
Coco
Toy Story
Alice in Wonderland
Dumbo
Cinderella
Star Wars (this one should not have gotten representation IMO)

That's only 14. There's also the Mickey crew and Chip and Dale, all of whom definitely deserve a spot but don't correspond with any specific movies.

Again, the issue is if their "leaked" list is correct. If it is, many of the remaining characters are just doubling up on franchises that are already represented. They had additional characters from Coco, Toy Story, Little Mermaid, the Incredibles, the Lion King, and Star Wars, and most of newly represented films have two characters instead of one. Their list would result in only 7 additional movies/franchises gaining representation, and one of those is Marvel which also doesn't belong to me.

There are a ton of classic Disney (and Pixar) films that would have no representation whatsoever in favor of two or three characters from multiple movies.

Last edited:

aliceismad

Again, the issue is if their "leaked" list is correct. If it is, many of the remaining characters are just doubling up on franchises that are already represented. They had additional characters from Coco, Toy Story, Little Mermaid, the Incredibles, the Lion King, and Star Wars, and most of newly represented films are doubled up. Their list would result in only 7 additional movies/franchises gaining representation, and one of those is Marvel which also doesn't belong to me.

There are a ton of classic Disney (and Pixar) films that would have no representation whatsoever in favor of two or three characters from multiple movies.
This is why I assumed the "leaked" list is wrong. Also it lacks Snow White, which is undoubtedly the most important Disney film from a historical perspective and also spawned a beloved ride at WDW. (Or at least one that has maintained popularity and long wait times.)

Since Orange Bird is one, and Figment, I'd also like to see the hitchhiking ghosts or some other Park-specific characters. (Probably not Jack Sparrow though.)

Last edited:

UNCgolf

This is why I assumed the "leaked" list is wrong. Also it lacks Snow White, which is undoubtedly the most important Disney film from a historical perspective and also spawned a beloved ride at WDW. (Or at least one that has maintained popularity and long wait times.)

Since Orange Bird is one, and Figment, I'd also like to see the hitchhiking ghosts or some other Park-specific characters. (Probably not Jack Sparrow though.)

I assumed it was wrong too, but they haven't missed one yet, so...

kevlightyear

Bigger than I was expecting.

Season 4 Episode 10 GIF by The Office

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
They really need to tone down the promotion of these gold statues, I don't think its doing them many favors.
Surprise and delight would have been better in my opinion. When you've seen them all revealed online ahead of time it takes all of that element away. But this is what happens when the big E Ticket rides were not completed in time.

Casper Gutman

Surprise and delight would have been better in my opinion. When you've seen them all revealed online ahead of time it takes all of that element away.
They would have been fine, even charming, as a small element of a much more elaborate ceremony. Tuck them away in thematically appropriate nooks and crannies, create a sense of wonder and discovery, as you say. Make it a game. But it sounds like they're going to largely be placed in clusters in very prominent locations, which limits their impact - "oh look, golden statues, nice, let's go ride Pirates." They also seem to be the main hook for the whole event.

And I still think 20 or 25 new animatronics was the way to go.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Surprise and delight would have been better in my opinion. When you've seen them all revealed online ahead of time it takes all of that element away. But this is what happens when the big E Ticket rides were not completed in time.
I totally agree. If they had made these an unannounced surprise for guests, tucked away into corners and such, it would have made for a really neat little scavenger hunt throughout all 4 parks. Maybe even have a couple separate, non-50th-related golden statues at Typhoon and Blizzard so they get in on some of the fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom