The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Figments Friend

Yeah, what is being revealed now for 50th merch is just the very tip of the iceberg.
A LOT more coming......plus some likely surprises just for Oct 1st release.

We haven't even gotten into the slew of trading pins, art prints, paper products, small 50th branded items / toys yet.....
Plus all the high end offerings ( not talkin' bout' Dooney n' Burke goods....)

More to come....watch this thread.

-

JohnD

Yeah, what is being revealed now for 50th merch is just the very tip of the iceberg.

We haven't even gotten into the slew of trading pins, art prints, paper products, small 50th branded items / toys yet.....

-
Great! But I can only spend so much. Just so long as available before eBay resellers get there first.

Figments Friend

Great! But I can only spend so much. Just so long as available before eBay resellers get there first.
Depends on when items we are interested in get officially released, and how long of a line it may be to get into the key location shops on 'the day'.
I full expect at least a couple of choice items to be released day-of on the 1st that will have droves lining up to secure said asset.
Happens every 'anniversary' day it seems, on both coasts.

Resellers will no doubt make a killing....they are out in force even more so now over the last couple of years.
Last years mad rush to clean the shelves of 'Splash Mountain' stuff really brought that to light for many who weren't already aware of the problem.

Hoping to see more of what is coming.
The 'Vault Collection' is the one to watch, for sure.
😉

-

TTA94

-

Maybe some 50th Christmas merch?

JohnD

Depends on when items we are interested in get officially released, and how long of a line it may be to get into the key location shops on 'the day'.
I full expect at least a couple of choice items to be released day-of on the 1st that will have droves lining up to secure said asset.
Happens every 'anniversary' day it seems, on both coasts.

Resellers will no doubt make a killing....they are out in force even more so now over the last couple of years.
Last years mad rush to clean the shelves of 'Splash Mountain' stuff really brought that to light for many who weren't already aware of the problem.

Hoping to see more of what is coming.
The 'Vault Collection' is the one to watch, for sure.
😉

-
My rationale is, if not available in the parks or ShopDisney, you are not meant to have it. Don’t support the re-sellers who will have it at marked up prices.

Figments Friend

My rationale is, if not available in the parks or ShopDisney, you are not meant to have it. Don’t support the re-sellers who will have it at marked up prices.

If none of those options work, wait a couple of years and chances are good you can find said item being sold on eBay for a somewhat reasonable price.
Of course you have to wait to own it....but it's worth the wait if you really want said item and weren't able to get one during release.

I have done this many times in the past for 'collectible' items.
Just one example - Limited Edition or WDI trading pins.
When a trading pin was 'in demand' and pricing just blew up online with resellers going nuts, I laughed and over the following year or two I would once in a while casually check eBay listings.
I waited....and eventually picked up some really sweet limited editions for $8 or $10.

Of course, your mileage may vary....and some collectibles never seem to come down in price.
But for the typical anniversary merch, a lot of it can be found for fair prices long after the event.
You just have to be patient.
🙂

-

JohnD

Not sure how 50th that is. I saw it in Pop Century only several years ago. I bought one because, well, it's the Disney back scratcher.

The difference is the font on the handle and the world Mickey icon on the new vs the castle on the one I have. Not much reason for me to get a new one. If you don’t have one, knock yourself out.

69A1879D-A0A7-439C-A150-6EAA7524B7C2.jpeg

SplashJacket

The difference is the font on the handle and the world Mickey icon on the new vs the castle on the one I have. Not much reason for me to get a new one. If you don’t have one, knock yourself out.

View attachment 577880
Oh... Now that's a memory!

I had one until I whacked my older brother with it... Broke in half (the scratcher, not the brother)!

I remember being sad about it breaking but no one reciprocated my sadness, seeing that well, I broke it by whacking the man.

Not my proudest moment as a 5-year-old.

Figments Friend

I have a mint original Mickey WDW backscratcher with the 'globe' logo and original vintage WDW text logo.
Ordered it back in 1985 out of one of the ol' WDW Mail Order catalogs that they used to send to Guests who wanted them back then.
Some GREAT stuff in those....and i ordered a lot of things.
The backscratcher has been hanging on my bedroom wall since then....so perfect condition.
Interesting how they chose to reproduce that particular 'vintage' item.

Also still also have my 'original' style WDW Mickey ears.....the ones i see they have made reproductions of for the 50th.
Whelp, there goes my fun idea of wearing my original old school ears on October 1st for the 50th.
Folks will just assume they are the repros....so, no novelty there.

The 50th sweatshirt with the character collage is eye catching, however, i think the merch team blew it by using the 'modern' brand style WDW text logo instead of the classic 'vintage' text logo.
Seems like a real missed opportunity, there...especially considering it is the Anniversary.
But perhaps there is a 'vintage' sweatshirt design hiding in the lineup yet to be released.....

But, like i said earlier....there is a lot MORE to come.
This is just the beginning.

Interested to see everyone's reactions to other items coming down the pipeline.....

-

Last edited:

TTA94

I have a mint original Mickey WDW backscratcher with the 'globe' logo and original vintage WDW text logo.
Ordered it back in 1985 out of one of the ol' WDW Mail Order catalogs that they used to send to Guests who wanted them back then.
The backscratcher has been hanging on my bedroom wall since then....so perfect condition.

Also still also have my 'original' style WDW Mickey ears.....the ones i see they have made reproductions of for the 50th.
Whelp, there goes my fun idea of wearing my original old school ears on October 1st for the 50th.

The 50th sweatshirt with the character collage is eye catching, however, i think the merch team blew it by using the 'modern' brand style WDW text logo instead of the classic 'vintage' text logo.
Seems like a real missed opportunity, there...especially considering it is the Anniversary.
But perhaps there is a 'vintage' sweatshirt design hiding in the lineup yet to be released.....

Interested to see everyone's reactions to other items coming down the pipeline.....

-

This year or next year?

SorcererDonald16

-
I am hopeful for nice collectibles, particularly things focused on attractions. Am I going to be happy or let down (assuming you have some info on what’s what)?

Most of what was previewed yesterday was a snooze to me. How many spirit jerseys, travel cups, cheaply made (yet expensively priced) bags, and fancy ears do I need? I certainly have some, but overall that is not the type of WDW fan/shopper/collector I am. Plus, they crank those products out year round. Give me the good stuff— figurines, art work, coins, etc. 😍

Out of what was previewed, the idea of the Vault Collection definitely interested me the most.

skypilot2922

I am hopeful for nice collectibles, particularly things focused on attractions. Am I going to be happy or let down (assuming you have some info on what’s what)?

Most of what was previewed yesterday was a snooze to me. How many spirit jerseys, travel cups, cheaply made (yet expensively priced) bags, and fancy ears do I need? I certainly have some, but overall that is not the type of WDW fan/shopper/collector I am. Plus, they crank those products out year round. Give me the good stuff— figurines, art work, coins, etc. 😍

Out of what was previewed, the idea of the Vault Collection definitely interested me the most.

Good stuff too expensive to produce…. Needs to be sold at 10,000 percent markup. How much do those 59.95 plushies cost to produce a buck maybe two when shipping and customs duties are included.

Figments Friend

Agree
The items revealed thus far were likely selected to show first as they are commonly popular 'trends' items ....the mentioned mouse ear headbands, designer bags/ purses, spirit jerseys, etc.
It's designed to grab the attention of today's Guests that perceive those things as trendy 'must haves'.
Long term / older fans will be attracted to the reproduction / vintage themed items and will in many cases want to collect those things.
Which is why you see a small sampling of both ....targeting both groups.

The 'good stuff' comes later on....we shall just have to wait n' see.
We have a full year+ ahead for the steady stream of forthcoming additions.

Like I mentioned earlier, the 'Vault Collection' is the one to watch.
If there was ever a time to play the 'nostalgia' card for merch, this is the time.

-

trainplane3

Like I said a few pages back, there's more but I can't say anything else. How much more? I'm not sure. But at least one thing has my interest.

They aren't going to skip out on many areas when it comes to the anniversary merch. Though, I haven't heard anything about a soundtrack collection. I hope that changes.

If I were a guessing trainplane, I'd say they're going to do a "surprise" release on 10/1 in-park of very limited merch. Upside is, the resellers have no idea what to look for. Downside is, the fans have no idea what to look for. Didn't they do something like that for Epcot 35 too?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom