The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Inspired Figment

Shirts lately at Disney have become pointless to me. If I want a shirt with a Clipart pic of Mickey's head that says "Uhhhh!" I'd get it at one of the stores in Kissimmee for 5 for 10 dollars..I always liked the shirts that featured the character's riding said attraction or ones that reflected the attraction in some unique way..

Also side note..I only give props to the soap dispenser as it shows Figment and Orange Bird represented..And hopefully they are on some more items..
Totally agree with you on the assessment of many of the WDW shirts in recent years along with the praise of Figment & Orange Bird being represented, though I ‘will’ say, I appreciate the effort they made in reincorporating/reprinting some of the early WDW art & merch designs into some of the new shirts & the like.
That and the Mickey & Minnie plush there show genuine effort into tying that into the 50 years of nostalgia marketing. Some of the best plush I’ve seen of the characters in a while. So yeah, even if the in-park entertainment offerings & maybe ‘some’ of the decorating choices have been a bit mixed with me so far, we’ve gotta give them credit where it’s due. I even think the character statues are nice touches, but yeah.

Inspired Figment

There should have golden statues of Roger Rabbit and Jessica Rabbit or Eddie Valiant at Disney's Hollywood Studios. That would be amazing.
I absolutely agree!! The only problem with that unfortunately though atm, from my understanding is contractual agreements/obligations between Disney & Steven Spielberg in regards to further usage today. Though then again, there’s a Roger statue/fountain in Mickey’s ToonTown at Disneyland & Tokyo Disneyland. Not to mention the Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin ride still operating at both. So it may be fine if Infact they decide to utilize him more. (I don’t think anyone would be opposed to that tbh.. but yeah, it really is a shame those contractual agreements/obligations have gotten in the way of Roger being represented in the parks more)

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Totally agree with you on the assessment of many of the WDW shirts in recent years along with the praise of Figment & Orange Bird being represented, though I ‘will’ say, I appreciate the effort they made in reincorporating/reprinting some of the early WDW art & merch designs into some of the new shirts & the like.
That and the Mickey & Minnie plush there show genuine effort into tying that into the 50 years of nostalgia marketing. Some of the best plush I’ve seen of the characters in a while. So yeah, even if the in-park entertainment offerings & maybe ‘some’ of the decorating choices have been a bit mixed with me so far, we’ve gotta give them credit where it’s due. I even think the character statues are nice touches, but yeah.
The worst example of these was this Goof Troop shirt..If you don't understand what the "Yeah" meant from the ending of the theme song the shirt is down right strange..

Or these shirts for example..
20200129_150618.jpg

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Maybe the Simpsons family statues (Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Maggie and Grampa Simpson) at Magic Kingdom near by Cinderella's Castle will be awesome if Disney can deal to Universal to uses them at the park.

Inspired Figment

The worst example of these was this Goof Troop shirt..If you don't understand what the "Yeah" meant from the ending of the theme song the shirt is down right strange..
In all honesty, I think this would’ve benefited from a better choice of art. Like the end of the intro with Goofy & Max, logo & all, and then maybe a quote bubble with ‘Yeah’.
But for sure, I agree some of the design decisions on a number of the merch lately has been a bit strange. But perhaps it’s a trend we’re simply unaware of, I dunno. Lol! All decades have that symptom at times. Though granted, I’d argue it’s been been a tad more blatant in recent times with the advent of internet meme culture & the like. But I could very well be wrong on that. (And that’s coming from someone born in the late 90s. Lol)

Inspired Figment

Or these shirts for example..
View attachment 577784
Most of those aren’t bad IMO with the exception of the Gizmos, Whooz-its etc one. The source material isn’t bad at all (Little Mermaid) but that design is just so bland, uninspired, and just plain non-Disney looking. It would’ve been a lot better with a bit of the song lyrics in, again, or a reference to it in a quote bubble or in stylized text like the other shirts with perhaps a reillustrated shot of Ariel & Flounder in the grotto.

Inspired Figment

Nope. No Simpsons in any Disney park.
Gotta agree with that sentiment. Now ‘that’ would be an ‘extreme’ culture/thematic clash. Especially considering The Simpsons have been extremely critical/majorly spoofing on Disney for decades now. It certainly wouldn’t be a good look right in front of Cinderella Castle, nor the Magic Kingdom in general tbh. Same can be said for EPCOT & Animal Kingdom

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

What about the Nightmare Before Christmas characters?
Considering it’s a Holiday themed movie… probably not. Works great seasonally when they bring the characters out & have themed decorations for for Halloween & Christmas events. But permanently/all year round.. not so much. Also takes away that specialness from the characters IMO also. Considering they’re supposed to be seasonal/holiday themed characters that only celebrate each time their holiday comes around even in the film respectively.

Inspired Figment

It’s like if you had put out Haunted Mansion Holiday permanently at Disneyland. People would NOT be happy about that one bit, plus, I think that’d actually lessen the amount of the demand for new Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise they get everytime it debuts seasonally.

Cmdr_Crimson

Considering it’s a Holiday themed movie… probably not. Works great seasonally when they bring the characters out & have themed decorations for for Halloween & Christmas events. But permanently/all year round.. not so much. Also takes away that specialness from the characters IMO also. Considering they’re supposed to be seasonal/holiday themed characters that only celebrate each time their holiday comes around even in the film respectively.
Knowing them...They'll put it in Liberty Square or something..

Inspired Figment

Oh, I’m sure of that. Though I think the better solution, if anything and if these 50th statues indeed last permanently. Would be to make a statue for NMBC but ‘only’ take it out seasonally, then put it back into storage when the holiday season is over. (I think like the Jack-o-lanterns they put out at Disneyland in the Hub, or the Christmas decorations they put up every year)
Knowing them...They'll put it in Liberty Square or something..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom