The Walt Disney Company Commits $2.5 Million for Hurricane Katrina Relief

Connor002

Tigger1988 said:
I totally agree, he made a joke...it falls under freedom of speech I believe.

i'm in agreement with WDW1971, know isn't really the time for jokes.
i don't think anyone wants to be a kill-joy, but i hardly think any event were hundreds/thousands of americans have died. i don't mean to pick on RoninHood, but to me, an innapproiant comment about any event where people loose their lives is like kicking a persons grave, it just isn't right

Tigger1988

Connor002 said:
i'm in agreement with WDW1971, know isn't really the time for jokes.
i don't think anyone wants to be a kill-joy, but i hardly think any event were hundreds/thousands of americans have died. i don't mean to pick on RoninHood, but to me, an innapproiant comment about any event where people loose their lives is like kicking a persons grave, it just isn't right

I never said I thought his joke was tasteful...funny or time approriate. All I did was agree with the speck on the fact that he had a right to say it. Im very upset with the tragic events down south.

TinkerBell9988

:D I am so happy that the WDC donated that money. My family made our donation yesterday, and I hope to make a donation myself (hey, I'll take a little bit out of my allowance, every little bit counts, right? :animwink: )

WDWbrightcubs

very appreciated

as someone who is going through this tragedy....that is something thats very reassuring to hear. I finally tore myself away from the tv and im trying to do something to make me happy and take my mind off of things. Disney is such an important thing in my life, and luckily, I will never lose that magic! So, anyway, we're alright and we'll live and when New Orleans is rebuilt, we'll be knocking back on their door!

Thrawn

Account Suspended
speck76 said:
great attitude :rolleyes:

I did not realize that as US citizens, we were forced to "like" our leaders, or agree with there leadership.....I must have missed that section of the constitution.

Yes, because making light of thousands of deaths is a good thing. His statement is akin to saying that the government caused 9-11. Those people should get out too.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Thrawn said:
Disney wasn't the first. Don't forget, its also tax deductible.

AND its going to be a drop in the bucket. But, yes, they did a good thing. My companies donations aren't going to be 2.5m, but its probably a similar percentage of income.

Not appropriate.
Help is help, leave it at that :mad:

Thrawn

Account Suspended
ClemsonTigger said:
Not appropriate.
Help is help, leave it at that :mad:

How is it not appropriate? I explained why I said what I did already. Please read the whole thread before you reply.

Edit: And please, do not try to tell me what I can and cannot say on this subject. I doubt you've donated $22k to the relief, so I think by doing so I have earned the right to speak my mind about why companies make donations. Did I do it because it is something that needs to be done? Yes. But if I said the tax deduction was not part of the reason, I would be lying. As would TWDC and every other contributing corporation.

WDWScottieBoy

Thrawn, I thank you for giving so much money for the relief! :sohappy:

That is an amazing amount of money and will help out A LOT of people.

Don't worry about what others are saying. I agree that your reasons are pefect here, and your deed will be very welcomed by everyone!

mrtoad

I think it is awesome that they donated. But yes other famous people do donate and you might not hear about them all if they do it privately. I know that a few years ago Ted Turner donated 1 billion dollars to some charity (I just can't remember what). Last year for the Florida huricane relief the owner of the Orlando Magic donated 1 million dollars.

You just don't know that some are doing it. If you donated 50% of your salary that would be beyond what anyone really could ever do and would be something people would be amazed at. But if you didn't tell anyone about it, nobody would know about it. Not saying you should do that I am just saying because you did not hear that so and so donated, does not mean they haven't...

Northgurl24 said:
This is great to hear. I just hope there are more companies to follow. Where are all the athletes and famous people? They all have more money then they know what to do with. They should be donating their money too. I am just a college kid with bills to pay and I am going to donate. Its just a little messed up. BUT GO DISNEY!!!:sohappy:

tigsmom

cowboibabyy said:
Every red cent is appreciated. I have family in Gulf Port that was missing until yesterday they were found safe but they have nothing left. It's great to hear that a company I love with all of my heart is helping with relief.

I'm glad your family is safe! Things can be replaced!

We are still looking for MKCP 1985, I know his office is in Gulfport, but I'm not sure just where he lives.

PS follow the relief fund link in my sig to see what your fellow Magic members are doing.

prberk

I am glad to see Disney and many others giving to the cause.

I have to say, though, that it seems that Disney could use their unique resources in another way, also. I do not know for sure, but it seems that they could help in a unique way, mostly because, unlike other corporations or even other local governments, they have a complete place to stay for a month or so, or even for people to help relocate. And by owning the whole infrastructure at Disney World, Disney is able to make a place for temporary food and shelter in ONE decision.

I started thinking about visiting WDW, and I thought about Port Orleans, and it hit me. The period after Labor Day is one of the slowest at WDW. Since people are being bussed anywhere near the Gulf to stay for a while, and most having no place to go back to (i.e., maybe even looking to relocate and start again), it seems like Disney could help in the following way, starting this weekend:

1. Make an entire WDW hotel property available for at least 30 days. (Move any reservations to an equivalent or higher-rated property). I would consider one of the moderates -- each having more than 1000 rooms.

2. Offer to take in 1000 families for 30-60 days as needed.

3. Give them Disney Dining Plan cards, perhaps helped by FEMA if appropriate.

4. Work with Orange County or Celebration to put the kids in local schools (as Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and all other refugee locations are doing).

5. Give them park passes.

This would be a nice thing to do; but most of all Disney is a COMPLETE resource for this. All of the necessities, including some transportation, are available. And it would help the company's image along the way.

Many of the refugees are now homeless and have no other job to come back to, and many will relocate. Perhaps Disney could offer job interviews for service jobs, and work with Orange County or the state to have other people interviewing also (again, similar to what Houston and other localities will need to do).

My point is that Disney has the resources to do in about 2 days what other cities would have to work hard to put together: an instant place to house 1000 families with all the necessary things provided. All in one location.

I would suggest using Coronado Springs, with its convention facilities available if possible for job fairs and FEMA paperwork... But any of Disney's hotels or resorts would work (maybe the military can help, by offering Shades of Green). I would have suggested Port Orleans, but it might be too meaningful...

Paul

phichi17

tigsmom said:
I'm glad your family is safe! Things can be replaced!

We are still looking for MKCP 1985, I know his office is in Gulfport, but I'm not sure just where he lives.

PS follow the relief fund link in my sig to see what your fellow Magic members are doing.
Has anyone heard from LongFamily?

mrtoad

It sounds nice and all but I don't see them being able to do that. For one there are too many people, how do they decide who? Secondly, there is no timeframe when they can go back. If you do it, it has to be with the intention of seeing it through to the end which could be years for some.

Again, I think it is a nice thought but I don't see it working.

prberk said:
I am glad to see Disney and many others giving to the cause.

I have to say, though, that it seems that Disney could use their unique resources in another way, also. I do not know for sure, but it seems that they could help in a unique way, mostly because, unlike other corporations or even other local governments, they have a complete place to stay for a month or so, or even for people to help relocate. And by owning the whole infrastructure at Disney World, Disney is able to make a place for temporary food and shelter in ONE decision.

I started thinking about visiting WDW, and I thought about Port Orleans, and it hit me. The period after Labor Day is one of the slowest at WDW. Since people are being bussed anywhere near the Gulf to stay for a while, and most having no place to go back to (i.e., maybe even looking to relocate and start again), it seems like Disney could help in the following way, starting this weekend:

1. Make an entire WDW hotel property available for at least 30 days. (Move any reservations to an equivalent or higher-rated property). I would consider one of the moderates -- each having more than 1000 rooms.

2. Offer to take in 1000 families for 30-60 days as needed.

3. Give them Disney Dining Plan cards, perhaps helped by FEMA if appropriate.

4. Work with Orange County or Celebration to put the kids in local schools (as Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and all other refugee locations are doing).

5. Give them park passes.

This would be a nice thing to do; but most of all Disney is a COMPLETE resource for this. All of the necessities, including some transportation, are available. And it would help the company's image along the way.

Many of the refugees are now homeless and have no other job to come back to, and many will relocate. Perhaps Disney could offer job interviews for service jobs, and work with Orange County or the state to have other people interviewing also (again, similar to what Houston and other localities will need to do).

My point is that Disney has the resources to do in about 2 days what other cities would have to work hard to put together: an instant place to house 1000 families with all the necessary things provided. All in one location.

I would suggest using Coronado Springs, with its convention facilities available if possible for job fairs and FEMA paperwork... But any of Disney's hotels or resorts would work (maybe the military can help, by offering Shades of Green). I would have suggested Port Orleans, but it might be too meaningful...

Paul

tigsmom

phichi17 said:
Has anyone heard from LongFamily?

Not that I know of, nor Ringo.

There are so many lists on different sites, but I don't know everyone's "real" name, just MKCP- and I haven't spotted it anywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom