The Walt Disney Company Commits $2.5 Million for Hurricane Katrina Relief

wannab@dis

It's apparent, and will probably come out in congressional investigations later, that the NO and LA officials were totally lacking in abilities. Their inability to handle the situation is the number one reason why this "blame game" is going on. It's a shame that they (and many others including congress and the media) resorted to placing blame instead of working harder to fix the problem.

The entire situation should have been turned over to the military/feds days ago. Based on that article, the offer has been made and was turned down by LA state officials. Once the investigations start and the stats on this whole operation are known, I believe it become clear that everything possible was being done the people on the ground (grunts). The Coast Guard, National Guard, Police and volunteers were doing their best from the very beginning. They were just overwhelmed and that led to the breakdown at the local and state levels. I also believe it will come out that NO was desperately unprepared for a major hurricane.

SpongeScott

wannab@dis said:
It's apparent, and will probably come out in congressional investigations later, that the NO and LA officials were totally lacking in abilities. Their inability to handle the situation is the number one reason why this "blame game" is going on. It's a shame that they (and many others including congress and the media) resorted to placing blame instead of working harder to fix the problem.

The entire situation should have been turned over to the military/feds days ago. Based on that article, the offer has been made and was turned down by LA state officials. Once the investigations start and the stats on this whole operation are known, I believe it become clear that everything possible was being done the people on the ground (grunts). The Coast Guard, National Guard, Police and volunteers were doing their best from the very beginning. They were just overwhelmed and that led to the breakdown at the local and state levels. I also believe it will come out that NO was desperately unprepared for a major hurricane.
I believe that you are correct and in time, this will be brought out. Save for the pump failing on Monday, the city fared well with the actual storm. The problem came with the huge levee breach on Tuesday. This is when it became absolutely overwhelming. What you are also seeing is typical New Orleans and Louisiana state and local government--one of the worst run cities and states politically (I lived there for almost 10 years, so I'm not spouting rhetoric). So much more could have been done before this storm ever hit on a local level, but was not.

Captain Hank

Here's something cool that my college is doing:

ONU offers educational aid, sends water to victims of Hurricane Katrina

Ohio Northern University is joining colleges and universities across the nation who are opening their doors to college students enrolled at schools affected by Hurricane Katrina.

ONU President Kendall L. Baker announced Friday that the university will welcome students who have been displaced by Hurricane Katrina to continue their education during the fall term.

“If they have already paid tuition at their home institutions, we will not ask them to make further payments for this quarter,” Dr. Baker said. “ONU will work with those students who need help to continue their education.” ONU will also work with interested students to address housing and meal plan arrangements.

“Providing this type of assistance is at the very core of ONU’s student-centered mission,” Baker said.

In addition to the university’s undergraduate programs, the ONU Pettit College of Law will allow any Tulane or Loyola of New Orleans students to sit in fall classes without formally registering or paying fees, until the respective schools determine if and when they will reopen.

Associate Dean John Christoff said that if those law schools do not reopen in time to complete the fall term, students sitting in at ONU will have the option to formally register under the procedures of both schools. Students will be billed accordingly.

Undergraduate students should call the ONU Admissions toll free line at 1--888-408-4onu or e-mail: k-condeni@onu.edu.

Law students should contact Christoff at (419) 772-2206 or e-mail: j-christoff@onu.edu.

In addition the university has donated 80 cases of bottled water which are being transported by Buckeye Charter Service to residents of New Orleans.

Students return to campus on Tuesday, Sept. 6. Plans are already underway for student-sponsored relief efforts.

Posted On: 9-2-05

Woody13

wannab@dis said:

You right and I agree with you, however, that's only half of the story. FEMA was formerly a fully independent agency. As of March, 2003 FEMA became a subcomponent of and under the control of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Most of the "good" FEMA people left before 2003. The current director of FEMA, Michael D. Brown is a political hack and has no background or experience in emergency management.

You are going to see more and more stories in the press concerning the total incompetence of FEMA and the DHS. I can tell you from first hand experience that most of the reports you will see will be right.

cherrynegra

Just saw this bit in a larger article detailing the failure of FEMA during the crisis.

Far from deferring to state or local officials, FEMA asserted its authority and made things worse, Mr. Broussard complained on "Meet the Press."

When Wal-Mart sent three trailer trucks loaded with water, FEMA officials turned them away, he said. Agency workers prevented the Coast Guard from delivering 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel, and on Saturday they cut the parish's emergency communications line, leading the sheriff to restore it and post armed guards to protect it from FEMA, Mr. Broussard said.

tigsmom

cherrynegra said:
Just saw this bit in a larger article detailing the failure of FEMA during the crisis.

Thats disgusting! Nobody, NOBODY should turn emergency supplies away!

FEMA/DHS needs to be straightened out! :fork:

wannab@dis

tigsmom said:
Thats disgusting! Nobody, NOBODY should turn emergency supplies away!

FEMA/DHS needs to be straightened out! :fork:

Who is the person this information came from and how do we know the context behind the information?

We can talk about "FEMA" as some entity, but the people on the ground are human beings. Do you really think all of these workers are so cold hearted as to not help people or sit on their butts and not do anything or cut communications? We've already found out that some of the stories coming out of NO were not true and were being told for political motives. We're finding out that officials in MS and AL are happy with the response they've seen.

Let's just keep being generous with money and gifts and good will come from it.

tigsmom

wannab@dis said:
Who is the person this information came from and how do we know the context behind the information?

We can talk about "FEMA" as some entity, but the people on the ground are human beings. Do you really think all of these workers are so cold hearted as to not help people or sit on their butts and not do anything or cut communications? We've already found out that some of the stories coming out of NO were not true and were being told for political motives. We're finding out that officials in MS and AL are happy with the response they've seen.

Let's just keep being generous with money and gifts and good will come from it.

Having had dealings with FEMA myself a few years ago after our home was damaged by flood, I'm not so willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

(just my humble opinion)

speck76

Original Poster
like any government agency....FEMA is a monopoly, and monopolies are inefficient (because they have no reason to be efficient). If the gov't really wanted to both save money, and better help people, they would take bids for FEMA contracts, and hire private companies to do the job.

Erika

speck76 said:
like any government agency....FEMA is a monopoly, and monopolies are inefficient (because they have no reason to be efficient). If the gov't really wanted to both save money, and better help people, they would take bids for FEMA contracts, and hire private companies to do the job.

There you go, talking all common sense again :rolleyes:

:p

WDW1971

Speaking as someone that has immediate family (parents, aunts, uncles, cousins) down there in southeast Louisiana (as well as the fact that I spent the first 27 1/2 years of my life there, I would prefer all the Monday morning QB's to shut up. From what I'm hearing from people personally involved with things, the response from the federal government is as well as could be expected with the magnitude of this. I'm tired of reading blogs from people that are sitting in their dry home with electricity whining about how nobody is doing anything. You know what? People ARE doing things and they aren't waiting for the government to tell them how to do it. My parents' church is housing and feeding rescue workers. My hometown (so small that they don't have a stoplight) is housing, feeding and clothing over 200 survivors from Katrina. So, shut up, shut up, shut up. My home state is hurting and all people want to do it play politics. Sure, you can give money but what those people need is to know that others are simply praying, caring and hoping. The survivors don't need Jesse Jackson's "speechifying", Michael Moore's overweight blogging or Kayne West's uneducated rants.

There...flame me if you want. But I have the better part of my life invested in Louisiana and I'm just plain tired of the ' and moanin' from people who don't know the REAL stories from down there.

Erika

WDW1971 said:
Speaking as someone that has immediate family (parents, aunts, uncles, cousins) down there in southeast Louisiana (as well as the fact that I spent the first 27 1/2 years of my life there, I would prefer all the Monday morning QB's to shut up. From what I'm hearing from people personally involved with things, the response from the federal government is as well as could be expected with the magnitude of this. I'm tired of reading blogs from people that are sitting in their dry home with electricity whining about how nobody is doing anything. You know what? People ARE doing things and they aren't waiting for the government to tell them how to do it. My parents' church is housing and feeding rescue workers. My hometown (so small that they don't have a stoplight) is housing, feeding and clothing over 200 survivors from Katrina. So, shut up, shut up, shut up. My home state is hurting and all people want to do it play politics. Sure, you can give money but what those people need is to know that others are simply praying, caring and hoping. The survivors don't need Jesse Jackson's "speechifying", Michael Moore's overweight blogging or Kayne West's uneducated rants.

There...flame me if you want. But I have the better part of my life invested in Louisiana and I'm just plain tired of the ' and moanin' from people who don't know the REAL stories from down there.

No flames here- and vent all you want. And, you are right.

We've got people pouring in here too and their stories are heartbreaking. My uncle spent all day (nothing compared to the week spent by many others, so far) helping to organize things- just so many people- the logistics are mind-boggling. Last I heard we could get 2500 and all the schools are opening their doors wide. I can't even fathom the amount of organization this has to take, not just down in the Gulf, but everywhere else too, where people are headed, in such a short amount of time.

wannab@dis

WDW1971 said:

Thank you for your rant! No flaming coming from here.

I feel so sorry for the people that are working their tails off and all they hear are the gripes about how nothing is being done. We need to appreciate and thank the people that are working hard to make things better for the ones affected by this disaster. We need to stand behind the ones that are trying their best to bring help to the region. It's so sad to see the hard work of the many minimalized by the vocal few.

Woody13

wannab@dis said:
Mr. Aaron Broussard is the president of Jefferson parish, a county next to New Orleans and home to about 450,000 people. It, too, was devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

I can tell you horror stories about the FEMA incompetence that my community suffered after both hurricanes Ivan and Dennis. As a matter of fact we're still having lots of problems with FEMA.

LilDucky

Woody13 said:
I can tell you horror stories about the FEMA incompetence that my community suffered after both hurricanes Ivan and Dennis. As a matter of fact we're still having lots of problems with FEMA.
Last year Hurricane Francis and Ivan flooded WNC, and ruined many business, homes, and even killed a few people. Its been almost a year, and there are many people that are discontent with FEMA, or still awaiting aid.

LilDucky

WDW1971 said:

Excellent post. No flame here! :wave:

prberk

Woody13 said:
FEMA is not a bottomless pit nor is it a social welfare agency. Housing Katrina victims at WDW resorts is not within the bounds of common sense.

Well, you're right that FEMA is not a bottomless pit, and perhaps they would not "be there" literally, but they could contract to pay Disney the same amount that they pay any other hotelier to take in people (if, of course, congress provides the funds). Of course, Disney has already committed some funds itself to the efforts, which I applaud.

I do think, though, housing Katrina victims at a self-contained Disney resort makes as much sense (or more) as any other hotel or accommodations that are being considered outside of Louisiana. This is because the Disney resorts are self-constained, and the bus system already exists. It would just need to be re-routed, to bring them to grocery stores and other places. Other than that, the needs would be the same as anywhere else they are housed.

I do realize that this is not likely to be done, but I also think that it is logical and almost more "common-sense" than housing them in a place where housing/transportation/food resources would come from completely disparate sources.

Not a big deal. Just a thought, because (1) Disney is so self-sufficient. And because (2) each Disney resort is isolated enough from the others to do it without huge impact on the rest of the resort. And because (3) it is now off-season for Disney.

So, likely? NO. Within the bounds of common sense? YES.

Otherwise, we wouldn't put them anywhere that they are going now (like Texas). In normal times it may not make "sense" to house people all over the country; but in this case, it makes as much sense as anywhere else. And the self-contained "government" of Disney as one company may be even more sensable...

Again, not a big deal here; I just wanted to explain why I think it would make sense.

In the meantime, I appreciate seeing everyone's efforts. My friend Rob Tennant, a minister in Northern Virginia, is leaving today for a week with the Virginia Baptist teams that have provided meals and showers, and now mud-out. (http://www.vbmb.org/uploads/press/PR-Katrina-090205-1.doc). I mention it because he is a friend, but also because I was fortunate enough to see some of the feeding units that they use and the people who coordinate these teams; and I want to point them out. They do good work, and are usually among the first able to go. Good people.

Anyhoo...

If you are in the affected areas, let us know if there are ways to help beyond what has already been discussed. And know that we are keeping you in our prayers also.

Paul

speck76

Original Poster
The Profit Motive Has a Limit: Tragedy
September 7, 2005

Good corporations aren't made to be good charities. They are, after all, stewards of other people's money, and their mandate is to make a profit. The best of them focus on that mandate with ruthless efficiency.

Perhaps that explains Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Dickensian initial decision last week to give thousands of employees at stores devastated by Hurricane Katrina only three days of additional pay. When the money ran out ... well, are there no poorhouses? Are the prisons full?

But Wal-Mart Chief Executive Lee Scott was quick to recognize that his company's relentless cost-cutting culture needed to be set aside in the aftermath of this tragedy. By Wednesday, he had told his troops to pull out all stops. Wal-Mart then became the biggest corporate benefactor of the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund, pledging $15 million in cash. It also gave a million dollars each to the Salvation Army and the American Red Cross. By the end of the week, the company was offering workers displaced by the floods as much as $1,000 in emergency assistance (roughly three weeks' wages, tax-free) and guaranteeing them replacement jobs at any store in the country.

In addition, Wal-Mart shipped more than 100 truckloads of merchandise to evacuation centers in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Arkansas. It offered residents of affected areas a seven-day emergency supply of prescription drugs free. And it donated at least a dozen Wal-Mart buildings for use as shelters, food banks, staging areas and police command centers.

The devastation of Hurricane Katrina has shaken the way everyone -- even those cosseted in comfortable corporate suites -- looks at the world. It's a graphic reminder of how thin the line is that separates a stable, secure society from chaos.

After peering into that chaos with the rest of us last week, many corporate leaders responded generously.

Mr. Scott says he and his wife watched the events unfold on television, and by Wednesday morning, he knew extraordinary action was needed. With some 34,000 employees affected by the storm, "we are such a part of the fabric of these communities that you have a responsibility to respond," he said.

Marriott Corp., with 2,800 employees at 15 hotels in New Orleans, also took action. The company is paying its workers through the end of September, and housing its own refugees in the ballroom of the Houston Airport Marriott, where the company tries to help them find temporary housing and jobs. "This is really something else," says CEO J.W. Marriott, who is on the phone at least twice a day with his crisis-management team. "It's a much more complex thing than the World Trade Center, where we lost a hotel and lost two associates. Then, we knew where the people were. But here, we've only found a little more than a third of our people."

The corporate response to Katrina was boosted in part by a program set up by the Business Roundtable in the aftermath of the Asian tsunami called the Partnership for Disaster Relief. Even before the hurricane touched down in New Orleans, Steve Odland, the CEO of Office Depot Inc., called the Roundtable suggesting the new program be put into action.

On Monday morning, as the hurricane was ripping through the Gulf Coast, Roundtable Chairman Hank McKinnell, the CEO of Pfizer Inc., sent a letter to all the other CEOs whose companies belong to the group requesting their assistance. By yesterday, that effort had raised more than $100 million in cash and in-kind contributions.

Mr. Odland's Office Depot led the way, offering some $17 million of office supplies, water, batteries and school supplies to help the city of New Orleans and the evacuees. "We're headquartered in South Florida," Mr. Odland explains. "We've witnessed six hurricanes in recent years. We've become hurricane experts."

As for the obligation to shareholders, Mr. Odland says that if his charity efforts help New Orleans recover, it will help his company as well. Mr. Scott calls it a balancing act. "We can't send three trailer loads of merchandise to every group that asks for it," he says. He tells of being in Houston on Monday, and talking to someone who wanted Wal-Mart to donate 2,000 blankets to help refugees. Mr. Scott turned down the request. "We have to, at the end of this, have a viable business," he explains.

How has big business responded to the hurricane crisis? Write to me at business@wsj.com.

Woody13

It ain't over yet. I think you'll find that Wal-Mart will give more than anyone. Their corporate culture is good. I have personally observed the work they have done to help victims of these storms in the last year.

speck76

Original Poster
Woody13 said:
It ain't over yet. I think you'll find that Wal-Mart will give more than anyone. Their corporate culture is good. I have personally observed the work they have done to help victims of these storms in the last year.

plus....they have a lot to gain.

Marriott probably does not have as much to gain, but has always been a good corporate citizen...which is something lacking from way too many companies these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom