News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Like I've mentioned before Staggs / Mayer are the best known outside entities that have enough working knowledge of The Walt Disney Company AND don't want to burn Disney to the ground in the process. Most everyone else would strip mine using the most destructive means possible. My take on this news is that apparently Iger has increased the offer high enough for Staggs / Mayer to be willing to engage.

PS: We need non-paywalled links please!
Yeah I think he’s run out of scapegoats and this gives him and the board some cover as barbicans are at the gates of Wall Street.

I don’t think he has any intention of leaving willingly…
…until further notice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not sure he's interested in parks being a legacy for him, he was CEO for Shanghai. I think he wants to cement his legacy in media and wants to be known as the CEO who set up Disney for the rest of the 21st century (like Walt for the 20th) in new media. He thought that was streaming but I'm willing to bet he's now heavily focused on linear products and the movie studios on their content pipeline.
You need to check your 20th century history. You’re reading chapters 1 and 3…but skipping the meat in chapter 2

Nobody says the empire strikes back sucks.

Disstevefan1

I'm not sure he's interested in parks being a legacy for him, he was CEO for Shanghai. I think he wants to cement his legacy in media and wants to be known as the CEO who set up Disney for the rest of the 21st century (like Walt for the 20th) in new media. He thought that was streaming but I'm willing to bet he's now heavily focused on linear products and the movie studios on their content pipeline.
Well, Iger does love China.

Comped

Cause he did nothing for years and FUBAR’d the Potter thing.
I had the opportunity to talk through that once with someone at the table during the discussions on Potter way back when she was first talking about this (90's I think). JKR did not make it easy for Disney to agree - some of her demands were a bit nuts, especially for Disney at the time. Character appearances were a big red line for both sides, as I was told - WDE (Walt Disney Entertainment, who ran characters at the time) wanted the major faces to appear. JKR most certainly did not. Hogwarts being added to MK was another red-line. The scope and scale of the land vs attraction debate (Disney wanted smaller - attraction and a shop, maybe a bit more but not much) while JKR wanted what we got with Potter.

For Disney, especially in the 90's and early 2000's, JKR's vision for Potter was not a good fit. No synergy when they didn't own the other rights (especially the films), and she wanted a far bigger part of the parks than Disney wanted to use, plus the infamous level of creative control. It was not a single person on the Disney side screwing the deal up - it was a cultural choice. And we'll argue for decades as to if it was the right one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I had the opportunity to talk through that once with someone at the table during the discussions on Potter way back when she was first talking about this (90's I think). JKR did not make it easy for Disney to agree - some of her demands were a bit nuts, especially for Disney at the time. Character appearances were a big red line for both sides, as I was told - WDE (Walt Disney Entertainment, who ran characters at the time) wanted the major faces to appear. JKR most certainly did not. Hogwarts being added to MK was another red-line. The scope and scale of the land vs attraction debate (Disney wanted smaller - attraction and a shop, maybe a bit more but not much) while JKR wanted what we got with Potter.

For Disney, especially in the 90's and early 2000's, JKR's vision for Potter was not a good fit. No synergy when they didn't own the other rights (especially the films), and she wanted a far bigger part of the parks than Disney wanted to use, plus the infamous level of creative control. It was not a single person on the Disney side screwing the deal up - it was a cultural choice. And we'll argue for decades as to if it was the right one.
I’d say she stood firm behind the appeal of her product…turns out she was right.

I can see why she was proven right and why Disney didn’t capitulate. So perhaps that’s the way it should have worked out.

But Disneys tact since makes it look that much worse. These “minilands” are rather pointless. Low appeal, high cost, take forever to build.

Their Star Wars land is frankly laughable and only beginning to rot in place. They built a permanent monument to everything they misunderstood/did wrong with the franchise.

In the wash…there’s been a clear winner/loser in town the last 10+ years.

Touchdown

Disney is not going to sell the parks, Wall Street would revolt. What does Wall Street want? Dividends, what do you need to sustain dividends long term? Steady income, what’s the only division capable of providing that right next now? Parks, unless streaming turns around (and that will take years if ever) dividends will not be sustainable without parks.

Star Wars is ruined because there is no current viable plan to bring it back to theatres anytime in the foreseeable future. Disney bought that franchise to make movies with it, not D+ series. There is not a Star Wars movie currently past the script writing phase. That’s the failure, that’s the mismanagement. Why is there no movie in development? Diminishing returns of the sequels, creative differences with directors, aimless management by Disney.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Star Wars is ruined because there is no current viable plan to bring it back to theatres anytime in the foreseeable future. Disney bought that franchise to make movies with it, not D+ series. There is not a Star Wars movie currently past the script writing phase. That’s the failure, that’s the mismanagement. Why is there no movie in development? Diminishing returns of the sequels, creative differences with directors, aimless management by Disney. And to make HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS in licensed products. The license was always worth far more than the actual franchise.

Minor add on…but yeah…you nailed it 👍🏻☝🏻👆🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think SWGE is pretty good. Needs another ride and maybe that sit down expansion, but I like it.

Hate the sequel trilogy, but the land feels like star wars.
Some of the land feels like it

But a lot of it is what Disney “thinks”’it should feel like. Which is not what Star Wars fans believe. Let’s not nuance…theme parks are to give the fans what they want…not what you think they should want.

That’s way different than movies and tv…where you are expected to fan out and push the property in new directions.

It’s a land anchored by rides based off a terrible sequel exercise and a prequel that failed disastrously. Great call 👍🏻
Much less long term appeal than the prequels…which is insane to think knowing what we all know. And Disney knew it too.

Add in to the mix in Florida being attached to the biggest theme park disaster in the history of parks…and you really got “special sauce”

But drink the sand.

Phicinfan

Some of the land feels like it

But a lot of it is what Disney “thinks”’it should feel like. Which is not what Star Wars fans believe. Let’s not nuance…theme parks are to give the fans what they want…not what you think they should want.

That’s way different than movies and tv…where you are expected to fan out and push the property in new directions.

It’s a land anchored by rides based off a terrible sequel exercise and a prequel that failed disastrously. Great call 👍🏻
Much less long term appeal than the prequels…which is insane to think knowing what we all know. And Disney knew it too.

Add in to the mix in Florida being attached to the biggest theme park disaster in the history of parks…and you really got “special sauce”

But drink the sand.
Ideally the fix would be to add an attraction in one area that is focused on the original trilogy, and have the characters from that trilogy active in that area. If they did that, and did it well(yeah I know...), that would probably address most Star Wars fans issues.

I would add, if they had separate missions on Smuggler's run, where you fly with or get coaching from Chewie and Han, that would also be fun.

never will happen though...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ideally the fix would be to add an attraction in one area that is focused on the original trilogy, and have the characters from that trilogy active in that area. If they did that, and did it well(yeah I know...), that would probably address most Star Wars fans issues.

I would add, if they had separate missions on Smuggler's run, where you fly with or get coaching from Chewie and Han, that would also be fun.

never will happen though...
I agree

A scaled old republic/clone wars/Jedi area…then a new anchor attraction set in the OT…then a vast scaling down - but not elimination of the Disney crap…

Would serve all masters. It also means you can augment new material with meet and greets/shops/food etc in their appropriate thematic spaces

Who says No?

StantonZ

I'm not impressed with the authentic food at China at Epcot. Cheap eats at NYC Chinatown blows it away with better quality minus the smallish dining areas, and not so clean locations.
Wow: respectfully disagree.
We have dined at the Chinese pavilion at EPCOT several times the last few months (after avoiding it for years)...and the food has been very good. But I guess this isn't really the place/topic for "food debates".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom