News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

MagicHappens1971

Star Wars is ruined because there is no current viable plan to bring it back to theatres anytime in the foreseeable future. Disney bought that franchise to make movies with it, not D+ series. There is not a Star Wars movie currently past the script writing phase. That’s the failure, that’s the mismanagement. Why is there no movie in development? Diminishing returns of the sequels, creative differences with directors, aimless management by Disney.
There are 3 theatrical releases in development. One was almost done with the writing stage but the strike happened

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are 3 theatrical releases in development. One was almost done with the writing stage but the strike happened
They are all CRAP…they can’t write Star Wars when they have no one outside Dave filoni with even a clue…

And they have no one.

They couldn’t come up with a dogfighter story based in Star Wars with all the technical stuff established…

That’s like a hanging curveball down the Middle Easy

erasure fan1

Some of the land feels like it

But a lot of it is what Disney “thinks”’it should feel like. Which is not what Star Wars fans believe. Let’s not nuance…theme parks are to give the fans what they want…not what you think they should want.
Exactly. I was there last week and I can now say it was underwhelming. The Falcon was cool to see. Rise was great when it was working. I thought Dok Ondars was cool to look around in, lots of star wars vibes for sure. But walking around the land, I never got that feeling I was so hoping to get. Like you said, some things did, but as a whole it's a letdown for sure. Did they do a great job with the quality of the work? Of course they did, it looks fantastic. It just doesn't feel like star wars.

I've said in the past, and I will maintain my thoughts that black spire wasn't necessarily the wrong choice. But if that's the hill you are going to die on, you sure as heck need to do better than a random name drop in a movie most didn't see and a comic book that no normal guest was ever going to know about, let alone read. It's like you said. Disney thought they could tell everyone what star wars is and they would just lap it up.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly. I was there last week and I can now say it was underwhelming. The Falcon was cool to see. Rise was great when it was working. I thought Dok Ondars was cool to look around in, lots of star wars vibes for sure. But walking around the land, I never got that feeling I was so hoping to get. Like you said, some things did, but as a whole it's a letdown for sure. Did they do a great job with the quality of the work? Of course they did, it looks fantastic. It just doesn't feel like star wars.

I've said in the past, and I will maintain my thoughts that black spire wasn't necessarily the wrong choice. But if that's the hill you are going to die on, you sure as heck need to do better than a random name drop in a movie most didn't see and a comic book that no normal guest was ever going to know about, let alone read. It's like you said. Disney thought they could tell everyone what star wars is and they would just lap it up.
It was the abrams thing…

For some reason…and Lucas did it too…they thought people LOVE the distressed desert motif…

Its ok…but not the best environment.

And of course the obsession with the junkyard” look. The stuff is supposed to look “used”…it doesn’t have to be junk.

I thought the best approach would have been a “base” entry point and then somekind of story “transport” to starcruisers

Like the OG living seas…space 220…or more importantly hogwarts up the road.

Think an indoor “snow base”…or a forest one…then into a Star destroyer?

Lines down the block. The bobs pulling out all the benches in Disneyland would have actually been needed

I posted that on the collapsing disboards wwaaaaayyyy back before Bob had a chance to congratulate himself on buying the IP and then get to work on destroying it systematically

I’m such an “asset” Disney never uses 🤪

SamusAranX

It was the abrams thing…

For some reason…and Lucas did it too…they thought people LOVE the distressed desert motif…

Its ok…but not the best environment.

And of course the obsession with the junkyard” look. The stuff is supposed to look “used”…it doesn’t have to be junk.

I thought the best approach would have been a “base” entry point and then somekind of story “transport” to starcruisers

Like the OG living seas…space 220…or more importantly hogwarts up the road.

Think an indoor “snow base”…or a forest one…then into a Star destroyer?

Lines down the block. The bobs pulling out all the benches in Disneyland would have actually been needed

I posted that on the collapsing disboards wwaaaaayyyy back before Bob had a chance to congratulate himself on buying the IP and then get to work on destroying it systematically

I’m such an “asset” Disney never uses 🤪
It’s still mind boggling really. 1. Pick the least loved trilogy by a mile and 2. Set it in a planet and environment nobody knows or has a fan attachment too.

Imagine if Universal had set HP in some place that never existed in its own universe, and had a one line mention in a book. Aye carumba

Br0ckford

It’s still mind boggling really. 1. Pick the least loved trilogy by a mile and 2. Set it in a planet and environment nobody knows or has a fan attachment too.

Imagine if Universal had set HP in some place that never existed in its own universe, and had a one line mention in a book. Aye carumba
The money the sequels made fooled them. Slap Star Wars on a video of paint drying and you're gonna make at least half a mil. Fans were hopeful with each movie but each one was a let down. That's why the sequels made anything. Disney and Star Wars. What could go wrong? 😏

erasure fan1

They had a lot of options to integrate all of star wars and make everyone happy. I couldn't help but think how well the concept for rise would have worked if it was set in the return of the Jedi time frame. Imagine you start the queue in the Ewok village, and it ends at the shield generator. You are then captured just like it is now. There's a bunch of time that you can be brought to a star destroyer and have an encounter with vader before he goes to get luke. Unfortunately I'm just a fanboy of the OT and I've been told that people want the new, not the old. 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The money the sequels made fooled them. Slap Star Wars on a video of paint drying and you're gonna make at least half a mil. Fans were hopeful with each movie but each one was a let down. That's why the sequels made anything. Disney and Star Wars. What could go wrong? 😏
It was the stupid reboots box office and their belief “anything works for these dumb Star Wars fans”

They had an “event” movie - thank George because of all the hate for 15 years since the prequels. And made a bland reboot with no franchise direction in it. A dead end.

The box office collapsed after. People try to gloss it…but it dropped like a rock. Merch and marketing disaster longterm. That’s why you never mess it up.

And they built based on the solo “trilogy”…which no one ever wanted.

Now they’re stuck with decayland. Retheme it now…rip off the bandaid.

Ok…off of Star Wars. The fact it’s always true won’t convince the 5 holdouts in moms basement who won’t believe their sweet Bobby and Kathy messed up 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They had a lot of options to integrate all of star wars and make everyone happy. I couldn't help but think how well the concept for rise would have worked if it was set in the return of the Jedi time frame. Imagine you start the queue in the Ewok village, and it ends at the shield generator. You are then captured just like it is now. There's a bunch of time that you can be brought to a star destroyer and have an encounter with vader before he goes to get luke. Unfortunately I'm just a fanboy of the OT and I've been told that people want the new, not the old. 🤔
Yeah but Bob thinks HE made Star Wars. Only he can do it.

Bob=Good
George=Bad

Empire and Jedi only sold a hundred billion or so of licensed merch over 40 years…why lean into that?

Ok…now I’m done 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I blame the haters more than I blame George. I am firmly in the camp that wishes Lucas never sold the franchise, Especially to Disney.
Ok…it’s a slow day

George was a pretty terrible director. And the prequel screenplays were fairly awful

I think there was a happy medium between having George as overlord and doing everything “anti-George”…which means messing up things he DID right too

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The first one was pretty good. Not perfect but not a let down like the next 2!
It was a really obvious remake where they killed one of the legendary characters, featured one who wasn’t up to it too much, and then tried to replace the one who was the backbone of the entire universe with a cheap, young copy…while having a 5 second clip of the original…

Gee…what really COULD go wrong? 🤪

Mmoore29

Ok…it’s a slow day

George was a pretty terrible director. And the prequel screenplays were fairly awful

I think there was a happy medium between having George as overlord and doing everything “anti-George”…which means messing up things he DID right too
Gary Kurtz didn't do that much. George's successes are George's successes, not other people's. George was the main engine with the original trilogy, just as much as the prequels. Kurtz was a total whiner who thought he did everything and did nothing but discredit him. Kurtz is a nonentity, truly.

The Disney era is in line with what George did, it follows his motifs and style considerably, more than any of the trolls and sheep care to admit. It's a perfect window of continuity in between each other, unlike how J.K. Rowling has trashed her own legacy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Gary Kurtz didn't do that much. George's successes are George's successes, not other people's. George was the main engine with the original trilogy, just as much as the prequels. Kurtz was a total whiner who thought he did everything and did nothing but discredit him. Kurtz is a nonentity, truly.

The Disney era is in line with what George did, it follows his motifs and style considerably, more than any of the trolls and sheep care to admit. It's a perfect window of continuity in between each other, unlike how J.K. Rowling has trashed her own legacy.
What book did you read all that stuff in?

I didn’t mention Gary Kurtz…but I give you a solid for at least knowing his name 👍🏻

Mmoore29

What book did you read all that stuff in?

I didn’t mention Gary Kurtz…but I give you a solid for at least knowing his name 👍🏻
I can analyze content for myself and make my own opinion on things. Though in one case, it's well known, also, and DOES feature in books, that George was incredibly generous with credit even for things that were undoubtedly his alone. That's why Leigh Brackett has a credit on Empire, despite nothing of Brackett's being used. But the vision, the guiding force, everything was George and George's alone in the first six films. Not just the prequels, but also the original trilogy.

And in the case of Disney era, just watching the content, thinking about, taking it in, analyzing it, it's clear how faithful it is to George's vision. The treatment is not the be-all, end-all that determines "George was ignored." Not to mention, it also shows how "history rhymes" as well as "Those who don't learn from the past are condemned to repeat it." This is the most logical and credible way the the timeline would unfold, and refusal to accept that shows a lot about these individuals.

Because well adjusted people can say, "I thought this would be different, but I was wrong," learn from it and grow with that intellectual honesty. Not scream and kick and wail and say "I'm right, they ruined it, they're heretics."

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Look at that stock price! Whooo!!!!

Oh wait, it's still $6/share lower than when Bob's second reign began, below $86/share at the moment. I bet the BoD is happy about that, since the stock options they were all granted at the end of June had a strike price of $89.17/share. Mark Parker got a larger grant than the rest, it would seem, based on the valuation that's $40k higher. The listing is a bit vague - "1k", but those that got "1k" have valuations that vary between $91.22k and $131.59k with the same per-share strike price.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom