News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are right. Iger's number one concern is his legacy. He still wants to be POTUS someday.

Well, let's hope, Iger understands that selling off WDW, as much as he would want to do that to (you know who), selling off WDW would destroy his legacy.

Besides, everyone is screaming about attendance being down at WDW, WDW is still a CASH COW for TWDC.

TWDC need to make money somehow, so they need WDW.
The political thing is a red herring

His concern is “being more important to Disney than a Disney”. And unlimited Money and cache.

In the wash… he falls way short of Eisner. And that must grate him as Willow picks out finishes for the new yacht.

Disstevefan1

His concern is “being more important to Disney than a Disney”.
Trophy.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Co CEOs Staggs and Mayer in Disney's future? Both left Disney in disgust not at the same time some time ago when the Board did not support them as a future CEO.
It’s a bizarre move…but totally “on brand” for big shot Bobby

My hunch is the financials are reporting it 180 degrees WRONG

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Which is why there's a non-zero chance he does something insane like build a new gate on each coast just so he can cut the ribbons and ride off into the sunset.
Problem is he’s being held hostage by Wall Street to slash everything and still turn it into unlimited profits…
There will never be more parks

cachet*
A cache is a store of weapons.

Good call…yeah, you don’t need weapons when your fans surrender. Like using a rest room and saying it’s worth the money because it’s an “experience”🚽🧻

Disstevefan1

I like to dream ad much as anyone, but there is zero chance of new gates!

Look At EPCOT! It’s taking them YEARS to complete what will be a NET LOSS to the park and what is really glorified LANDSCAPING!!!!!!!

CaptainAmerica

No it’s not. Not according to the dictionary at least.
K you're wrong but whatever.

"Cache," pronounced "cash," is a store of something. Not always weapons, but it connotes weapons. It also has a technological use in which case it means a store of data.

"Cachet," pronounced "ca-shay" is clout, respect, prestige, or admiration.

CaptainAmerica

I like to dream ad much as anyone, but there is zero chance of new gates!

Look At EPCOT! It’s taking them YEARS to complete what will be a NET LOSS to the park and what is really glorified LANDSCAPING!!!!!!!
Probably.

But Iger won't be responsible for the P&L forever. His legacy WILL be forever. I really think there's a (very slim) chance that he decides his legacy is more important, P&L be damned.

JD80

Probably.

But Iger won't be responsible for the P&L forever. His legacy WILL be forever. I really think there's a (very slim) chance that he decides his legacy is more important, P&L be damned.

I'm not sure he's interested in parks being a legacy for him, he was CEO for Shanghai. I think he wants to cement his legacy in media and wants to be known as the CEO who set up Disney for the rest of the 21st century (like Walt for the 20th) in new media. He thought that was streaming but I'm willing to bet he's now heavily focused on linear products and the movie studios on their content pipeline.

Lilofan

It’s a bizarre move…but totally “on brand” for big shot Bobby

My hunch is the financials are reporting it 180 degrees WRONG
Could it be Iger swan song is to groom recommend these two ex Disney execs to run the company before he leaves ? The Board and Iger are two peas in a pod and maybe he is trying to sell the Board on bringing Staggs and Mayer to run the company after Iger departs ( again ).

hopemax

Like I've mentioned before Staggs / Mayer are the best known outside entities that have enough working knowledge of The Walt Disney Company AND don't want to burn Disney to the ground in the process. Most everyone else would strip mine using the most destructive means possible. My take on this news is that apparently Iger has increased the offer high enough for Staggs / Mayer to be willing to engage.

PS: We need non-paywalled links please!

Basil of Baker Street

I'm not sure he's interested in parks being a legacy for him, he was CEO for Shanghai. I think he wants to cement his legacy in media and wants to be known as the CEO who set up Disney for the rest of the 21st century (like Walt for the 20th) in new media. He thought that was streaming but I'm willing to bet he's now heavily focused on linear products and the movie studios on their content pipeline.
That's my thought as well. In a prefect world, Studio and D+ would be extremely profitable and he could ride off into the sunset. As for the parks, they're there so why not milk them for all they are worth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom