'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

enchanted_belle

For any Novice's using Hal Higdon, we are 10 weeks out and this is buckle down time! I am pretty sure I am going to die during this race, and not because of the 5th dimension. I did some strength training and yoga to stretchy stretch my leggos and am ready for a nice and easy 2 miler tomorrow. Gah.

oh man, it's crunch time! I've been breaking the rules and playing ultimate frisbee on my days off from running. Oops! :)

wilkeliza

I think I'm going to start using a combination of Hal Higdon and the Jeff Galloway program. I like Jeff's walk/run take on training for beginners but I also like that on Hal's you run one more day of the week. That way if I miss one day I don't feel as bad.

JordanM407

Does anyone know if I can purchase a race bib for this race? Not sure if it is "legal" but I would really like to do this race. I was injured earlier, but now I am healthy and ready to race.

wilkeliza

Does anyone know if I can purchase a race bib for this race? Not sure if it is "legal" but I would really like to do this race. I was injured earlier, but now I am healthy and ready to race.

Did Tower of Terror have any charity spots? You could try finding that out and going through one of those. Also perhaps someone had to drop and is trying to transfer their bib to someone else.

a2grafix

For those of you who have run the previous Tower of Terror 13Ks, have a question for you. More of a personal question, but we all perspire. I know it's a late evening race, but it's Central Florida at the end of September. It's going to be in the 70s or upper 60s at least with some humidity.

For those of you who have run the 13K races in the past, how "sweaty" were you after the race? How long did it take for you to cool down, change your race duds and ride some rides? I'm figuring 20-30 minutes tops before partaking in the post Hollywood Villains Bash party.

a2grafix

According to the race website, the slots are all full ... but ... take a look at this: *Guaranteed entries may still be available through our Travel Operators and Charity Groups.

Here's the website for more on the "runDisney Travel Operators" info - (This appears to be a broken link (which I fixed))

Kristia

You maybe able to check for charity spots. Not sure if there are any left. Disney races don't allow bib transfers of any kind unfortunately. If you try to do it on the sly and they find out, you can be banned from future races.

wilkeliza

According to the race website, the slots are all full ... but ... take a look at this: *Guaranteed entries may still be available through our Travel Operators and Charity Groups.

Here's the website for more on the "runDisney Travel Operators" info - (This appears to be a broken link (which I fixed))

It appears Autism Speaks still has spots but you must raise $750 to compete and $100 of which is your own money. However Autism Speaks pay for your entry fee so you could see the $100 as your entry fee. I only assumed they still had spots because it let me continue onto the registration page.

dreamfinder

For those of you who have run the previous Tower of Terror 13Ks, have a question for you. More of a personal question, but we all perspire. I know it's a late evening race, but it's Central Florida at the end of September. It's going to be in the 70s or upper 60s at least with some humidity.

For those of you who have run the 13K races in the past, how "sweaty" were you after the race? How long did it take for you to cool down, change your race duds and ride some rides? I'm figuring 20-30 minutes tops before partaking in the post Hollywood Villains Bash party.

All I have to say is that I hope they clean every single ride vehicle after the party and before the park opens the next day. I don't recall that many people changing, and even those that seemed to have changed looked like they were sweating through their clean gear.

Ariel484

I think I'm going to start using a combination of Hal Higdon and the Jeff Galloway program. I like Jeff's walk/run take on training for beginners but I also like that on Hal's you run one more day of the week. That way if I miss one day I don't feel as bad.

This is pretty much what I do. I prefer Higdon's schedule, but I don't beat myself up for taking walk breaks.

All I have to say is that I hope they clean every single ride vehicle after the party and before the park opens the next day. I don't recall that many people changing, and even those that seemed to have changed looked like they were sweating through their clean gear.

EWWWWWW :confused:

JillC LI

I was pretty darned sweaty after the 13K. It was over 80 degrees that October day, and didn't cool off much in the evening. I had no one to meet after the race as my hubby and kids were back at the room sleeping since we had to get up at 5am for our flight home the next day. Nor had I stored anything to use after the race - I just had some tissues, my cell phone, and my room key in my pockets. After the race I simply grabbed some of the free drinks for runners, walked until I felt comfortable, and jumped in line for RnRC. I was definitely in good company amongst other sweaty runners who had not changed either. Now that you mention it though, I hope that the single rider who sat next to me on RnRC didn't notice any horrendous aroma! LOL

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I was pretty darned sweaty after the 13K. It was over 80 degrees that October day, and didn't cool off much in the evening. I had no one to meet after the race as my hubby and kids were back at the room sleeping since we had to get up at 5am for our flight home the next day. Nor had I stored anything to use after the race - I just had some tissues, my cell phone, and my room key in my pockets. After the race I simply grabbed some of the free drinks for runners, walked until I felt comfortable, and jumped in line for RnRC. I was definitely in good company amongst other sweaty runners who had not changed either. Now that you mention it though, I hope that the single rider who sat next to me on RnRC didn't notice any horrendous aroma! LOL
I have been thinking about that too and Im glad we are having our "meet" before the race. If I see people afterwards, GREAT!, but i wouldnt want to reply on a good group pic afterwards. We are going to be nasty.

After the W&D (same weekend 2 years ago), I was nasty and I dont sweat that easy. I took a towel in my pack that I checked into the bag area. I poured that on my towel and wiped down a bit afterward. Then headed out for beers! We didnt snuggle up next to others since no rides were open, but we were still close to each other in line.

Bug715

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on this thread for a while but just thought I'd say hi tonight.

I was thinking about what I'm going to pack into my bag for after the race. During my 7 mile run on the treadmill the other day I kept ringing out my ponytail since I was sweating so much. Race day is going to be interesting!

Texas84

I have been thinking about that too and Im glad we are having our "meet" before the race. If I see people afterwards, GREAT!, but i wouldnt want to reply on a good group pic afterwards. We are going to be nasty.
Any details on the meet yet? Sorry if I missed it.

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on this thread for a while but just thought I'd say hi tonight.

Welcome! Join the "What did you do?" thread! Keeps me motivated.

MKCP 1985

Hey runners,

I've had a change of plans and won't be able to make this race. Someone else will have to be in charge of the pre-race meet.

Good luck and great fun to all who participate. It will surely be a blast.

fmingo36

Hey runners,

I've had a change of plans and won't be able to make this race. Someone else will have to be in charge of the pre-race meet.

Sorry you won't make it to the race. I hope the reason is for something good!
I'll do the planning for the pre-race meet. Since I've done a few Disney races including a night race, I have a good idea of how things are organized. Once we get closer to race day, I'll put something together.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

I was thinking about what I'm going to pack into my bag for after the race. During my 7 mile run on the treadmill the other day I kept ringing out my ponytail since I was sweating so much. Race day is going to be interesting!
Welcome! Go on over to the What Did You Do thread and join the madness. Its addictive.
Hey runners,

Man, Doug I hate that. I hope it isnt serious. I hope to see you at an event soon. Since technically, we have been in 2 events togehter and missed one another both times. With that said, I have seen you at that gas station, scalping you tickets for the Alabama game. :cool: LOL Had nothing to do with running.
Sorry you won't make it to the race. I hope it's for something good!
I'll do the planning for the pre-race meet. Since I've done a few Disney races including a night race, I have a good idea of how things are organized. Once we get closer to race day, I'll put something together.
Ill be Vice on this and help you. You know Im organized and if you need a resume, I can give you one of project I have managed. :) I make good signs too. *looks around*

I trust Coryna. I also have made her my backup to Richard getting my race packet (which I dont think I have told you that yet... :)) You are the backup, in the event that Richard and crew have car trouble or something. Ill get you the forms as the release them (because you wanted to have that 1 more sheet of paper to carry didnt you).

lbrad

I am "training" for the ToT 10 miler. Following Jeff Galloway as best I can but I can't run/jog for more than
3 mins :( What is wrong with me? I am not a runner so this is all new. Just did a 10k Sunday; finished in just under 90 mins. which is in the time range. It was soooo HOT!!! And I was sooo nervous ... don't know why ... I did fininsh :) I have been doing 13 min mile walk/run!!!
I am sure I will be in the last corral ... does anyone just walk/powerwalk??? Or should I throw in the towel now??? All paid for so I have to try right??? I CAN DO IT!
Hubby & son are joining me, although hubby has a calf injury ... praying it heals quickly!!!
My son is 22 yo and I am sure I will be in his dust ...lol
Any suggestions??? I am 47yo non smoker, in good shape ... or so I thought ... lol

Kristia

I am "training" for the ToT 10 miler. Following Jeff Galloway as best I can but I can't run/jog for more than
3 mins :( What is wrong with me? I am not a runner so this is all new. Just did a 10k Sunday; finished in just under 90 mins. which is in the time range. It was soooo HOT!!! And I was sooo nervous ... don't know why ... I did fininsh :) I have been doing 13 min mile walk/run!!!
I am sure I will be in the last corral ... does anyone just walk/powerwalk??? Or should I throw in the towel now??? All paid for so I have to try right??? I CAN DO IT!
Hubby & son are joining me, although hubby has a calf injury ... praying it heals quickly!!!
Any suggestions??? I am 47yo non smoker, in good shape ... or so I thought ... lol
Don't throw in the towel! At 13 min/mile, you are well within the time limits. Just keep up your training and you will be able to do it. My husband and I did the marathon in 2011 and only got up to 15 mile training run. We finished with time to spare. It wasn't easy but we did it. If you are in the last corral try to get towards the front of it. The 16 min/mile time limit starts after the last person crosses the start line, so the farther up you can get, the more leeway you have timewise. And like you said, you paid for it already, you have to at least try. What if you don't try? You will always look back and wonder if you could have done it. Go for it!!

ETA: You came to the WRONG place if you are looking for people to tell you to throw in the towel ;)! You came to the RIGHT place to find people to cheer you on!

Hannah1284

You'll be fine! I did a non-disney race last fall and had some personal stuff come up that botched my "training" so I ended up with a 17 min mile pace (slow, i know, but it was in San Fran over a big hill/mountain), but still finished with plenty of time to not get "sweeped." I also walked pretty much everything after mile 6 (when the hill started).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom