'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

Texas84

I am "training" for the ToT 10 miler. Following Jeff Galloway as best I can but I can't run/jog for more than
3 mins :( What is wrong with me? I am not a runner so this is all new. Just did a 10k Sunday; finished in just under 90 mins. which is in the time range. It was soooo HOT!!! And I was sooo nervous ... don't know why ... I did fininsh :) I have been doing 13 min mile walk/run!!!
I am sure I will be in the last corral ... does anyone just walk/powerwalk??? Or should I throw in the towel now??? All paid for so I have to try right??? I CAN DO IT!
Hubby & son are joining me, although hubby has a calf injury ... praying it heals quickly!!!
My son is 22 yo and I am sure I will be in his dust ...lol
Any suggestions??? I am 47yo non smoker, in good shape ... or so I thought ... lol
My first half ever was a 2:1 run/walk and finished under 3 hours. Then did another 2:1 half the next week and finished 2:35. Now I'm running entire 5Ks and doing 4:1/5:1 on my longer runs. Don't put too much pressure on yourself for time. Just beat the max pace and have fun!

lbrad

My first half ever was a 2:1 run/walk and finished under 3 hours. Then did another 2:1 half the next week and finished 2:35. Now I'm running entire 5Ks and doing 4:1/5:1 on my longer runs. Don't put too much pressure on yourself for time. Just beat the max pace and have fun!
AWESOME!!!! Thank you for the advice & encouragement ...I need it :)

lbrad

You'll be fine! I did a non-disney race last fall and had some personal stuff come up that botched my "training" so I ended up with a 17 min mile pace (slow, i know, but it was in San Fran over a big hill/mountain), but still finished with plenty of time to not get "sweeped." I also walked pretty much everything after mile 6 (when the hill started).
Thank you for the encouragement :)

lbrad

Don't throw in the towel! At 13 min/mile, you are well within the time limits. Just keep up your training and you will be able to do it. My husband and I did the marathon in 2011 and only got up to 15 mile training run. We finished with time to spare. It wasn't easy but we did it. If you are in the last corral try to get towards the front of it. The 16 min/mile time limit starts after the last person crosses the start line, so the farther up you can get, the more leeway you have timewise. And like you said, you paid for it already, you have to at least try. What if you don't try? You will always look back and wonder if you could have done it. Go for it!!

ETA: You came to the WRONG place if you are looking for people to tell you to throw in the towel ;)! You came to the RIGHT place to find people to cheer you on!

LOL ... Thank You - Thank You - Thank You !!! I need all the encouragement I can get. I will definetly get to the front of the corral !!! Thanks for the great advice :)

fmingo36

Anyone know if there will be race gear available for sale after the race or at the expo?

They sell everything at the expo. There are a variety of vendors hawking their products (sneakers, water-belts, food,clothing...you name it) . Disney always has a decent size booth with race specific merchandise as well as generic Run Disney stuff.

Hannah1284

They sell everything at the expo. There are a variety of vendors hawking their products (sneakers, water-belts, food,clothing...you name it) . Disney always has a decent size booth with race specific merchandise as well as generic Run Disney stuff.

Thanks! I'm looking for race specific gear! I ran the Nike Women's Marathon in San Fran last fall and have a few things from that race. I'd like to have something from this one, as my first race running (or walking...) with my husband!

fmingo36

Disney always produces a shirt or two that says "I DID IT" with the name of the race and the date. I have one from each Disney race I've run.
Make sure to get yours at the expo. They have a small booth at the finish line but they don't have as much stuff and certain sizes sell out.

wilkeliza

I am also of in the nervous group. I finally got up to a 3 mile run (following a Hal Higdon plan) and although I made it through the 3 mile run at a 14 min/mile pace. I did end up running 3 1/3 mile because I just had to make it to the bridge even though it made the run slightly longer. So far my problem has not been the runs but recovering from them. I'm fine when I get home but the next day my shins and calves hurt and it can be hard to squat.

So my question is what should I be doing to stretch? I've been out of the running thing so long I forgot all the stretches we use to do in middle school. Also I got some KT Tape for my knee and so far it is really helping. I also used the tape on my shins this week and it seemed to speed up recovery and prevented me from having to take advil for the pain. Just wondering what I should be doing because I know as the runs get longer (4 miles next week) I will need to do a better job so I don't injure myself.

I also learned the hard way don't eat anything (even just a peanut butter candy bar) right before you run because I was fighting to keep it down all through mile 2.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I am also of in the nervous group. I finally got up to a 3 mile run (following a Hal Higdon plan) and although I made it through the 3 mile run at a 14 min/mile pace. I did end up running 3 1/3 mile because I just had to make it to the bridge even though it made the run slightly longer. So far my problem has not been the runs but recovering from them. I'm fine when I get home but the next day my shins and calves hurt and it can be hard to squat.

So my question is what should I be doing to stretch? I've been out of the running thing so long I forgot all the stretches we use to do in middle school. Also I got some KT Tape for my knee and so far it is really helping. I also used the tape on my shins this week and it seemed to speed up recovery and prevented me from having to take advil for the pain. Just wondering what I should be doing because I know as the runs get longer (4 miles next week) I will need to do a better job so I don't injure myself.

I also learned the hard way don't eat anything (even just a peanut butter candy bar) right before you run because I was fighting to keep it down all through mile 2.
I prefer to run on an stomach that hasnt seen a meal since the night before. Id rather run early on an slightly empty stomach, then have eaten anytime in the past 6 hours. I like running on empty, it trains you for that possibility that your nutrition isnt working or something went wrong in the event.

a2grafix

There are several ways you can stretch after a run. I found a video clip that might help you. Yes, it's over 9 minutes, and yes sometimes it takes that long for a runner to recover from stretching / cool down after a distance run.

This might be a little advanced for you. Take it easy and don't hurt yourself when stretching. I use some of these stretches after my runs and I am also using P90X's XStretch, which is nearly 1 hour of stretching.

wilkeliza

Thanks I will definitely check that out. For some reason youtube hasn't been working for me today. I get all audio and no video. I usually try to do a 10 minute cool down of just very slow walking so adding 9 minutes of stretching instead of 10 minutes of walking is no big deal. I want to do whatever I can to prevent injury and be able to stay on my training schedule.

Hannah1284

Have you tried icing your shins and feet? That may help with your recovery in addition to stretching.

fmingo36

When was the last time you were fitted for sneakers? I find that if I get shin-splits, it's time for new sneakers.

wilkeliza

Have you tried icing your shins and feet? That may help with your recovery in addition to stretching.
When was the last time you were fitted for sneakers? I find that if I get shin-splits, it's time for new sneakers.

I have not tried icing. Thanks for that suggestion!

My shoes are a year old but I've only been running in them for 2-3 months. I'm going to get a new pair after the race but since these don't have many miles on them and are broken in I wanted to keep going with them. I think my issue was lack of proper cool down stretching. I'm going out for a shortish run tonight and will try some stretching before and after to see if that helps. I really think I just pushed myself too far too fast. I realized in mile 2 that I was pushing it far to hard in the first mile. I was running at 10 minute miles and walking at 12 minute mile paces and running much longer than I typically do. I think if I slow my pace and remember not to gun it right at the beginning that will also help.

Texas84

Disney always produces a shirt or two that says "I DID IT" with the name of the race and the date. I have one from each Disney race I've run.
Make sure to get yours at the expo. They have a small booth at the finish line but they don't have as much stuff and certain sizes sell out.
I always get one of those. Usually you have the option to have them hold it and personalize it with your name and time. Signing up for my first half, I asked the volunteer how do they know if you finished? She said, it says you 'did' it, it doesn't say you 'finished' it. :D

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

This is good to know. I wanted to get myself a runDisney tshirt at disneystore.com this past weekend when they were running a sale, and they are completely sold out online. :(

Ariel484

This is good to know. I wanted to get myself a runDisney tshirt at disneystore.com this past weekend when they were running a sale, and they are completely sold out online. :(

I remember reading in the past that people had trouble ordering the correct size of the Champion brand runDisney shirts (specifically people complained that they ran small), so maybe it's better this way...you can see them in person and try them on.

MKCP 1985

Anyone know if there will be race gear available for sale after the race or at the expo?
Get to the expo early. This race won't have nearly as many runners as the marathon weekend will see, so there will be less merchandise ordered and the good stuff will sell out more quickly, if the past is any indication. And don't count on being able to get anything after the race. If you see it and you like it, buy it!

Example, I wanted to buy a pin for the inaugural wine and dine. I had seen gobs of extra pins for other races so didn't pre-order. When I got to the expo, they were completely out of pins, so I bought a keychain instead.

I should thank them - that helped me to break my addition to buying race pins. LoL

wilkeliza

Get to the expo early. This race won't have nearly as many runners as the marathon weekend will see, so there will be less merchandise ordered and the good stuff will sell out more quickly, if the past is any indication. And don't count on being able to get anything after the race. If you see it and you like it, buy it!

Example, I wanted to buy a pin for the inaugural wine and dine. I had seen gobs of extra pins for other races so didn't pre-order. When I got to the expo, they were completely out of pins, so I bought a keychain instead.

I should thank them - that helped me to break my addition to buying race pins. LoL

I hope they order extra pins. I missed out on the pre-sell so I was hoping to pick one up at the expo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom