The Story of the Triangles

devoy1701

I remember about a year or so ago that the forums were all a-tizzy about the addition of the abstract triangles in the downramp to Spaceship Earth. Weird, maybe. Lacking, perhaps. Random, NO!

Behold, from the newly revised and updated "Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot", which came out on Tuesday:

"Surrounding them, Guests see an abstract version of the triangular panels that make up the surface of the exterior sphere. The panels explode into a burst of energy, representing the genesis of the next great idea. These panels follow us down the ramp, increasing in density as we reach the bottom - affirming our return to Spaceship Earth".

The more you know...

That is just horrible... :brick:

SeanC

And this just in from the new new Imagineering Guide to Animal Kingdom...

"At the end of their journey through the Forbidden Mountain, guests did have an encounter with a fiercesome Yeti who attacked their ride vehicle, however guest feedback indicated that such a high tech realistic effect left little to their imaginations and so now the Yeti slumps in a dark corner, sadly bemoaning that no one cares."

SirNim

"Disney's Pop Century Resort is a fantastic new resort complex situated just steps from Disney's Wide World of Sports. Across Hourglass Lake you can glimpse the Legendary Years area, featuring dilapidated structures meant to evoke the horrors of the dustbowl of the Great Depression and the nuclear devastation wrought by the World Wars. Disney's Pop Century Resort—A Hell of a Place to Stay!"

hokielutz

I'll play devil's advocate here...

the main focus of the descent is the interactive Designing Your Future on the monitors of each vehicle.... so of course the creative use of displays and lighting were not employed to keep everyone's focus on the ride's interactive program. If the future world displays were kept in place or plussed, then the focus on the choosing the future would be lost.

So its not a choice of skimping on the visuals of the descent... but where the designers wanted our focus.

Personally... my wife and I have a blast coming up with new and funny faces to make with the cameras, and then trying out different variations of our Future. So from a personal entertainment value... its awesome.

But I know there is wide disagreement about which approach the refurb should have taken... plussed ride displays, or interactive focused content.

hokielutz

"Disney's Pop Century Resort is a fantastic new resort complex situated just steps from Disney's Wide World of Sports. Across Hourglass Lake you can glimpse the Legendary Years area, featuring dilapidated structures meant to evoke the horrors of the dustbowl of the Great Depression and the nuclear devastation wrought by the World Wars. Disney's Pop Century Resort—A Hell of a Place to Stay!"

not entirely sure how this fits the subject of this thread.... but I agree.... the fire-bombed out look of the uncompleted resort buildings does not generate warm fuzzy feelings.

SirNim

not entirely sure how this fits the subject of this thread.... but I agree.... the fire-bombed out look of the uncompleted resort buildings does not generate warm fuzzy feelings.
We're on the topic of obviously abandoned (for whatever reason) WDW projects in full view of a paying public... :animwink:

And how PR wordsmiths can "attempt" to redefine the liability as an asset...

ryno1982

I'll play devil's advocate here...

the main focus of the descent is the interactive Designing Your Future on the monitors of each vehicle.... so of course the creative use of displays and lighting were not employed to keep everyone's focus on the ride's interactive program. If the future world displays were kept in place or plussed, then the focus on the choosing the future would be lost.

So its not a choice of skimping on the visuals of the descent... but where the designers wanted our focus.

Personally... my wife and I have a blast coming up with new and funny faces to make with the cameras, and then trying out different variations of our Future. So from a personal entertainment value... its awesome.

But I know there is wide disagreement about which approach the refurb should have taken... plussed ride displays, or interactive focused content.

It isn't even a case of what they did to the descent. It's the way it's presented. The entire descent, including the lame video, would be much easier to accept if the surrounding area didn't look like it was hit by a bomb. It's the obviously visible infrastructure- chicken wire, air conditioning vents, and wrinkled curtains that are the biggest tragedies. I understand if Disney wants our focus on the screens, but the area surrounding the time machines is bad show plain and simple.

PeoplemoverTTA

Brilliant! :lol:

BrerFrog

And this just in from the new new Imagineering Guide to Animal Kingdom...

"At the end of their journey through the Forbidden Mountain, guests did have an encounter with a fiercesome Yeti who attacked their ride vehicle, however guest feedback indicated that such a high tech realistic effect left little to their imaginations and so now the Yeti slumps in a dark corner, sadly bemoaning that no one cares."

PR is an amazing source of entertainment. :ROFLOL:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It wasn`t like that. The budget was there. The plans were there. Glendale was ready. They were pulled by Orlando.

If they just wanted us to watch LCD screens they could have been installed on podiums in Project Tomorrow, ala DL.

aladdin2007

It wasn`t like that. The budget was there. The plans were there. Glendale was ready. They were pulled by Orlando.

If they just wanted us to watch LCD screens they could have been installed on podiums in Project Tomorrow, ala DL.

Then I guess letters would be directed to Orlando instead of Siemens, and yes im going to write a old fashioned letter:p, but since Orlando pulled the plug on finishing, why didnt Siemens fight for it? Budget? It just makes them both look bad, you would think someone in either camps would care.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Well, I guess reading that ridiculous explanation is better thank thinking the triangles were SUPPOSED to be a modern day homage to Tomorrow's Child and the descent triangles of that era. I'd still give my left foot to have Tomorrow's Child brought back like Siemens had originally intended. :(

PhantomX

Did they ever fix the bottom half of the lady scientist in the computer lab or is she still wearing a skirt with hooker boots?

Fail!

Space Ship Earth = FAIL!

Oh and who doesn't love Disney's Abandoned Resort? I know I'd rather stay there and sleep on cold concrete than stay at the abortion that is the Bay Lake Tower...at least Disney's Abandoned Resort has some character.

Lee

Adventurer
This just in!
Exclusive!
Fresh from the pages of the upcoming revised edition of the "Imagineering Field Guide to Animal Kingdom!"

The later part of the description of Everest reads:
"After surviving the harrowing plunge down the side of Forbidden Mountain, and escaping the angry Yeti who has destroyed the railway, guests enter a moderately cool cavern where keen-eyed riders may see the corpse of the once great and terrifying beast resting on a dark ledge near the tracks. This was designed to illustrate man's dominance over nature and all it's beasts. Even ones that don't exist.......or do they?

Dizzy from all the spinning....:dazzle:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom