The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I'm not a fan of TSMM. It has absolutely the worst, as in NONE, set design of any modern Disney or Universal attraction.

I can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic. Why where there be any set design at all when you are looking at a screen with 3D glasses?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Follow him on Instagram (michael_eisner) and read his comments. Makes you wonder what he's doing there in China. Obviously, he's still very much interested in his old company and the parks, unlike other former Disney CEOs, such as Ron Miller, who didn't even want even talk anything that had to do with Disney Co. after he left.... So, makes you wonder. Things that make you go "hmmm"!

Ron had a HUGE interest in the company after he left. He was married to Walt's daughter, after all. ... But the way he got cut out, the family battles ... hell, the entire big media landscape wasn't an arena Ron felt overly comfortable. And realize that when he was forced out in 1984 that Walt Disney Productions was a tiny corporation, not a worldwide media giant with a market cap of $125 billion or so. Ron was already a fish out of water back in the slower 70s and 80s. I can't imagine him working in the business today.

Michael has plenty of work to keep him busy, and he remains very interested in major media, a field he spent his entire career in.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Pretty much every ride ever built has had its issue during the build - Seven Dwarfs won't be any different.But they will resolve it. I'm still expecting opening in the Spring.

That much is true. Every attraction has its issues. ... Even that state of the art Gringott's up the road.

That said, attractions get delayed and WDW has, ever since the Test Track debacle, been very gun shy (unlike everyone else in FL -- yes, that was an innocent guns joke!) about announcing anything. At some point, though, you sorta have to. From what I have seen, both internally and externally, it was always 'early 2014' which changed to 'spring 2014' which now is sorta just 'sometime in 2014 and we certainly hope by summer'.

doctornick

I may sound like an idiot for asking, but is it possible to add an attraction anywhere in Streets of America? I know most of the buildings are just facades but is it there any way to squeeze anything in there? Its such a cool area, it would be awesome if you could actually enter one of the buildings (for a ride, not a M&G or show).

The Premiere Theater (where Hunchback used to be and still used for special events) is off of the Streets of America and is room enough for a show building for a ride if desired. There's also the HISTK playground, which has a pretty large footprint for a play area, but would be small for a ride (and is boxed in in terms of space).

Personally, I've advocated making the Streets of America into a Monstropolis theme and repurposing the Premiere for a relocated Laugh Floor.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The Soarin' film updates remind me of Star Tours - it will happen one day, just a question of when. Soarin' was being rumored to have its film changed just a few years after its opening. We are almost 10 years on and nothing. If we keep the speculation going, one day we will eventually be right.

Yes, except this is a bit different.

Soarin Over the Horizon is on the Opening Day menu for Shanghai and that means the film has to be complete by summer to fall of 2015. Once it is done, well, nothing is preventing it from coming to the states. And it will. I certainly see it being part of DL's 60th Celebration and, despite the fact you can't close anything at any WDW park without immediately running into lack of capacity issues, it won't take years (or likely even months) to debut it at EPCOT.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So? I mean outside of being a gesture what has it meant beyond Disney lifestylers suddenly clamoring for merchandise, pretending they had seen the cartoons and still being generally oblivious to his very minor role in the development of Disney's animation? Walt Disney spent less than a year making Oswald shorts and the rights issue was a known concern from the beginning. The animation staff being hired away was a far more important issue than the character of Oswald.

Love this comment. Oswald was nothing more than a TINY footnote in the fan community (about on par with the Orange Bird) until the past five years. I have no clue why beyond selling merchandise with 'Walt's first creation' ... let's forget that he wasn't too fond of the 'wabbit or what surrounded his being appropriated by others ... he is simply little more than a footnote in history.

But fanbois just grasp on to things whether they are of consequence or not ... (says the Spirit who 'might' own an Oswald tee!) ...

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah..define "Spring"....;)

Micechat says it is now since the flowers are in bloom at DL ... (of course, in SoCal, they always are!)

He...settled for DinoRama.
Sometimes you take what you can get.

I still recall the party where he told me quite bluntly that he didn't get the fan hate for 'an area that can be removed in 72 hours' ... he was given a tiny budget, told they were buying off the shelf and that he needed to come up with a story and make sure it fit. He did. End of story.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So spirit, what did you think of the overall state of Disneyland Paris?

Loaded question. And I have been accused of having blinders on here.

I'll gladly admit that getting a great 40% off deal for SL at value season rates and getting to see the truly wonderful new Christmas entertainment (their new Christmas tree is a thing of beauty and makes MK's look Walmart/ghetto by comparison) certainly pushed up my enjoyment factor.

Getting to reconnect with a friend who I hadn't seen since 2008 also added something ... as did the wonderful weather (touring DLP when the temps are in the 40s and 50s is blissful for someone used to the wretched heat and humidity of O-Town) ... and the largely very good food.

But I am a Spirit who notices all ... good, bad, and ugly.

The overall state is a mess, but with signs of improvement all around. The thing that made me almost ill on my last visit in spring of 2012 was the overall condition of the E Tix. It was UNIversally awful. This time? Better across the board. Indeed, some attractions like Pirates looked very, very good with effects that hadn't been seen by me in years working, working. Only did one ride on Space Mountain because we sat in the front, didn't have any brain damage, had music and saw most effects (notable exception is the smoke in the launch cannon) working. Was shocked at how good it was and wasn't sure we wanted to tempt fate. Small World, which looked ghetto in 2012 with a filthy channel and about 85% of the popcorn lights dead, had a clean queue and had all of the bulbs replaced and I had trouble seeing any that weren't working. Phantom Manor, a fave of mine, looked very good in multiple rides across multiple days (counted two effects not working that I feel were semi-significant).

The E-Ticket with the most issues was sadly BTMRR. I'd say a good half of the effects were either shut off or not working right. But it is up for a big rehab this spring, so hopefully issues will be addressed.

Stuff like that ... well, that is an improvement.

Indeed, Snow White (remember when MK had that ride?) was so perfect, we rode a second time (no wait helped) just to MARVEL at how WONDERful it all was. Literally every effect that was supposed to be working, well, was.

Stuff like that ... well, that is an improvement.

Seeing places where pavement that was potholed and a mess (to the right of the castle) replaced with nice looking brick work ... seeing facades on MSUSA that had been repainted/refreshed ... all with the holiday decor still up showed concrete improvement.

One issue that DLP suffers from is that its toilets all reek of urine. It is like a Paris subway in most. It isn't because they are dirty. There wasn't one unacceptable facility in my entire visit. It's because many of them date back to the early 90s and have never been renovated, something that routinely happens at WDW and DLR. The facilities need to simply be torn down to concrete and piping and rebuilt. Guess what? They finally are doing that and the Autopia restrooms opposite Space Mountain were the first and just completed before our visit. Clean, bright, new, modern facilities that were very much needed.They are supposed to do the ones near Pizzeria Bella Note next. These may not be as exciting as new attractions, but when your infrastructure is falling apart you need to start with it.

I'll try and come back to the topic to discuss the resorts, DSP, merchandise and food in a later post.

I definitely want to talk about how nice it is to not have to deal with FP+ and all it entails in a comparison as well.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, also wanted to mention we got to close out (sorta) Indy on its last night before it went down to have its track and rock work replaced.

That was fun, but it is time to bring that thing into the 21st century.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I guess there's two types of fans. Those that have ridden ride & go seek and those that haven't

*yawn*

Are you off that horse yet? ok.. lets continue

If we were talking about MIB or Monsters@DCA... I think you would have a point. But I wouldn't put TSMM in that same conversation at all. Different points of engagement and what they are tugging at. Monsters at TDL is an exploration play.. TSMM is a high energy, high speed, physical gag attraction.

You might as well had been trying to compare Casablanca to an Adam Sandler flick... common components, different targets, different approaches... yet both aimed to entertain.

culturenthrills

Well, it's being discussed on another thread but it looks like the Ziti Sisters show in Italy at Epcot is being cut to pay for the Frozen M&G since the studio won't be picking up the tab anymore. It is so ridiculous that TDO is so tight with the entertainment budget that they have to cut a show to pay for a M&G. It is sad that a bunch of really talented performers, some who are my friends, have to lose their jobs because TDO is a bunch of tightwads. What a joke.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hey @WDW1974, took my first DCL trip last week for 7 nights on the Fantasy and it was amazing. I was wondering where all the WDW magic had gone and I think it's all on the cruise ships, seriously. The amount of detail and effort that went into that ship is astounding.

All I can say is 'told ya so!'

DCL is one part of the business that lives up to its hype and then some, one that delivers a consistently top notch product and one where they don't appear to be trying to rip every bit of quality out in a money grab. I still find it strange because it is run by Karl Holz who is a WDW guy and who came up in that culture of cutting quality for pennies starting with being a Food and Beverage Manager on PI in the mid 1990s. But the DCL product is one thing that Disney gets very right.

The thing is, though, many Disney fanbois are simply fans of the parks and would never go on a cruise (likely due to leaving the country and having bathing suit issues).

I think DCL is still generally priced too high for its bottom market entry cruises (like those 3-4 nighters out of Port Canaveral) but you can find deals on the longer voyages and I'll be sailing with them multiple times in the next few years, still on the 'classic' ships as their itineraries tend to be more what I am looking for.

But I would tell anyone thinking about either a Disney vacation or a cruise vacation to look into DCL. They've sold me and so long as they keep delivering, I'll keep singing their praises.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom