The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am happy to here that you seemed to have a nice time here in Europe! Am intrigued by what you have to say about the Disney brand over here. Interestingly enough my local supermarket chain here was running some Disney Christmas promotion for the second year now. We never had stuff like this in the past. Oh and then there is the new Disney Channel here in Germany, have you heard of that?

Welcome back, I am looking forward to read about your adventures!

Rewe? Disney stickers?

Oh yeah.

And Disney Channel launching as a free station that is for all demos and isn't aimed at tweens? Oh yeah, we'll talk about that. We can even talk about how the night I flew back and attended an industry dinner in Miami after a 10 1/2 flight and talked to a dude from Disney's TV Distribution arm that had no clue what I was talking about when I brought up the German debut ... yep, these folks all have their jobs because they are better and smarter than the rest of us. Sure. The folks who run this country want you to think that!

WDW1974

Original Poster
WDW had a good year financially. 2014 should be more of the same, unless mega corporations (like Disney) with billions in profit (like Disney) continue laying off hundreds (like Disney) eroding consumer confidence. :banghead:

Profits were up, driven almost exclusively by across-the-board higher prices. I happened to be looking at a 2011 Cosmic Rays Café menu where the bacon cheeseburger was $7.29. Today, the bacon cheeseburger is $10.19. Up 40% in 3 years. That will keep profits up for a while. :banghead:

Don't know if you saw my thread on WDW ticket prices but even I'm beginning to doubt WDW can keep these increases up for much longer.

For some reason, it feels like 1972 and WDW is a Detroit auto manufacturer. :banghead:

Yep. Quarterly earnings report for Q1 of 2014 is tomorrow ... should be fun, fun, fun ... with mindless Disney fanbois praising 'their' company's numbers without ANY clue what they mean, how they were attained and what they foretell.

And, yes, saw parts of your thread ... until the audience sorta went off the rails and thought the whole point was you thought WDW was too expensive, missing the greater point.

WDW1974

Original Poster
He could lift his leg and pee on me as he passed if it meant that he would come in gung-ho building rides, and attractions to compete with Uni.
I am so over the non-stop DVC and M&G building spree.

Um ... wow ... Jenn ... heavy duty ... this sounds like what a fanboi offered me if I took him to the Cars Land opening at DCA. (oh, I know you were kidding ... this guy wasn't!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
On a random tangent (it's time for that already isn't it??? :D)

I put in the Wii game the other day because people had been saying that here. The Wii game is no substitute for the real thing... it 'looks' alot alike, but the game play, the specials, etc are different. I get some people feel the real thing is less special when it has a low-end version of it available.. but the Wii version is BORING and crippled.. the real version is worlds better. YMMV

Agree. Also will say, though, that I still feel TSMM is one of the most overrated Disney attractions. The lines are crazy and don't equal the experience.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The question is, does TSMM have those lines because it's a fantastic ride? Or because it is literally the only ride in DHS that actually caters to the demographic that they are marketing the resort too? Not to mention DHS only has 6 rides.
It's mostly the 2nd part. Having been there recently with a 3 and 6 year old I can tell you from experience:)

I do enjoy the ride though, but mainly because I'm competitive and the thing keeps score.

JimboJones123

That much is true. Every attraction has its issues. ... Even that state of the art Gringott's up the road.

That said, attractions get delayed and WDW has, ever since the Test Track debacle, been very gun shy (unlike everyone else in FL -- yes, that was an innocent guns joke!) about announcing anything. At some point, though, you sorta have to. From what I have seen, both internally and externally, it was always 'early 2014' which changed to 'spring 2014' which now is sorta just 'sometime in 2014 and we certainly hope by summer'.
It is starting to feel very Rocket Rods 2.0.

I sure hope not.

John

@WDW1974 was at the CBR last week ( on a CM heavily discount).....was an absolute Ghost town. Its purported that CBR is the worlds 5th largest resort. Could this be indicative of WDW crossing the line in their price points? The parks were moderately busy. Sadly January is no longer the "off season" at least in the parks.

Frozen has had decent repeat numbers....can we classify it a hit?

kagacins

Hey @WDW1974, took my first DCL trip last week for 7 nights on the Fantasy and it was amazing. I was wondering where all the WDW magic had gone and I think it's all on the cruise ships, seriously. The amount of detail and effort that went into that ship is astounding.
Hey there - I think we were on the same sailing as you (returned to Port Canaveral on February 1st?). It was also our first time on DCL and we had a wonderful time - the perfect weather certainly did not hurt. I can honestly say that nothing was below expectations (except for a few very minor ship layout issues - like why does the the primary route to the pools require a trip through Cabanas?).

CinematicFusion

Speaking of Star Tours and Star Wars, I found out why they fired the original screenplay writer for the new Star Wars. Apparently, his script focused too much on the new characters and JJ Abrams wanted the original characters to go on one last adventure before passing the torch to the younger generation. So, the new rewrites make the original cast the main characters, and give the new cast supporting roles, instead of the other way around.

They haven't fired him, he has moved on to work on 8,9.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The question is, does TSMM have those lines because it's a fantastic ride? Or because it is literally the only ride in DHS that actually caters to the demographic that they are marketing the resort too? Not to mention DHS only has 6 rides.

Well, it is clear that WDW feels its market is VASTLY different than its market even in the 90s and certainly the 70s and 80s.

WDW is all about very young children today. It is about experiences for them and for their mommy bloggers and daddies.

WDW isn't a classy place where adults and children can have fun together.

And when WDW tries to go in the other direction (versus meet and greets and Turtle Talk and Disney Junior type offerings that are targeted at children and arrested development adults ... someone needs to tell Ricky that Darkwing Duck is a foamhead ... a teen in a costume, just like a mascot at an NBA game) they either wind up with attractions that are short on actual thrills like Tron Track or tend to make a great number of people ill like Mission Space. of course, I'd argue that after Mermaid they can't even be counted on to get a simple Omnimover based on a classic film nailed.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 was at the CBR last week ( on a CM heavily discount).....was an absolute Ghost town. Its purported that CBR is the worlds 5th largest resort. Could this be indicative of WDW crossing the line in their price points? The parks were moderately busy. Sadly January is no longer the "off season" at least in the parks.

Frozen has had decent repeat numbers....can we classify it a hit?

CBR with a CM discount? I am guessing 60% off value season, right? What did that run you now? That will help me determine whether I think they have crossed a line with pricing (I think with hotels they did long ago, which is why the deluxe resorts are becoming DVC ... there isn't an enough dumb folks with money that will pay $900 a night for a standard room at the Poly over Christmas)

Fifth largest? It could be. I recall when it was being built it was the largest (or going to be) hotel complex in the world. Then, Excalibur opened on the Vegas Strip and outdid it and started their massive building ...

As to Frozen, it is a huge hit. No doubt. That doesn't alter my opinion of it one bit. Still, the best Disney has made since the 90s, but not on par with much of what was produced that decade ... and music that is largely not memorable (whether it will be headed to Broadway or not, I'd rather see Aladdin or Newsies and then maybe they can finally bring Hunchback to life!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom