The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So, y'all may have noticed I haven't been around much of late.

That is either because I was off-continent for six weeks for my Faux Top One Percent Spirited Winter Holiday Abroad if you live in reality or because I was forced to work OT at the Walmart and just got the 'net reconnected in Mom's basement if you live in delusion.

Anyway, I have debated starting this because there isn't a whole lot of news to share right now. But then I gave a read of the top 10-15 threads on this board and see that hasn't stopped anyone here and I would like to add some big picture perspective on everything from what Joe Rohde really thinks of creating Pandora in the Swamps to what was behind Michael Eisner's recent Tweets from China to an unannounced (but happening anyway) attraction for HKDL to a possible delay in the Snow White kiddie coaster's debut (and another train is having some slow issues up the road too!) to a comparison of the operational 'issues' facing DLP and how they compare (and don't) to WDW's to how Disney markets/sells its BRAND in France and Germany versus the USA to some movie and TV thoughts as well (DM2 was not all that ... and can someone tell me why MARVEL'S Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is still on?)

Frankly, I think that's all a whole lot more interesting than reading the same arguments over and over again. All opinions are welcome, but I'd appreciate it if they were on the topics being discussed and not my value as a human being.

One other note before we get started ... OK ... two ... first congrats to the Seattle Seahawks and their 'special' fan @Lee and second, if you take at least one Disney related trip every month or two and then blog about it or Tweet about it, well, you ARE a Lifestyler.

With that said, put on your saddles and let's go riding ...

Welcome back @WDW1974 or may I call you Spirit

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hey @WDW1974, took my first DCL trip last week for 7 nights on the Fantasy and it was amazing. I was wondering where all the WDW magic had gone and I think it's all on the cruise ships, seriously. The amount of detail and effort that went into that ship is astounding.

Yup.. what I and others have been saying... If you want a Disney product, there are other parts of the company that haven't quite followed the same path as WDW. DCL for the most part is living up to the heritage. (prices and all! h0h0h0h0 :D )

FrankLapidus

That's what people said when Steve Jobs was forced out. I guess that the time in exile is a humbling experience and you relive all your moments thinking what you could have done better.

Eisner could have done better first time around, instead he became a paranoid, power-obsessed maniac who lurched from one disaster to another without Frank Wells to reign him in.

His time at Disney is done and has rightly been consigned to history. When the time comes for the company to find new leadership it should look to move forward in a new, creatively innovative direction, not revisit its past.

Bolna

I am happy to here that you seemed to have a nice time here in Europe! Am intrigued by what you have to say about the Disney brand over here. Interestingly enough my local supermarket chain here was running some Disney Christmas promotion for the second year now. We never had stuff like this in the past. Oh and then there is the new Disney Channel here in Germany, have you heard of that?

Welcome back, I am looking forward to read about your adventures!

yeti

Regarding bloggers/lifestylers - I used to be a fan of a certain "review" site for "theme parks" and the guy who runs it, but lately it seems he might be on Disney's payroll also, saying lots of FP+ is the best thing ever made and berating anyone who disagrees with him. The general tone of some conversations at that site has been getting more negative lately, which is a shame.

I've had irky feelings about that site for a long time...and for other reasons.

Some love just can't be held back by the bounds of the interwebs....

Poor old "Agent P"...when I'm not chuckling I kinda feel for the guy.

ParentsOf4

Yes, it seems that UNI's strategy in O-Town and even Disney's in Anaheim is global: when you provide a great experience, people come in droves and spend lots and lots of yen.

Of course, it isn't a UNIversal rule because TWDC has claimed records at WDW (although mixed together and placed into a blender, so beyond the MK being very busy and popular it is very hard to tell why Disney's numbers are what they beyond getting largely the same people to spend more due to higher prices ... @ParentsOf4 is the expert on breaking down financial docs here anyway.
WDW had a good year financially. 2014 should be more of the same, unless mega corporations (like Disney) with billions in profit (like Disney) continue laying off hundreds (like Disney) eroding consumer confidence. :banghead:

Profits were up, driven almost exclusively by across-the-board higher prices. I happened to be looking at a 2011 Cosmic Rays Café menu where the bacon cheeseburger was $7.29. Today, the bacon cheeseburger is $10.19. Up 40% in 3 years. That will keep profits up for a while. :banghead:

Don't know if you saw my thread on WDW ticket prices but even I'm beginning to doubt WDW can keep these increases up for much longer.

For some reason, it feels like 1972 and WDW is a Detroit auto manufacturer. :banghead:

asianway

This still would not provide solution to the fact that less than half the guests on an average day have the ability to ride the attraction.

Since it is the highest demand attraction at WDW (not fulfilled, just highest demand) along with Sorin, doubling capacity would be a great decision.
No it wouldn't. TSMM is an overrated wii game. Adding other attractions would make it very missable

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
No it wouldn't. TSMM is an overrated wii game. Adding other attractions would make it very missable
I may sound like an idiot for asking, but is it possible to add an attraction anywhere in Streets of America? I know most of the buildings are just facades but is it there any way to squeeze anything in there? Its such a cool area, it would be awesome if you could actually enter one of the buildings (for a ride, not a M&G or show).

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I'm going to do a shameless repost because @WDW1974 was on hiatus the last time. Saw the attached figured in good spirit I'd take a picture:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Michael Eisner returning???:eek: Regardless of his contributions, his last few years left such a sour taste in my mouth I don't think I could stomach another tenure. Looking back I do see where his passion for the Parks did trump Mr. Iger's - which totally surprised me because Iger seemed to be such a breath of fresh air when he started. Now it is beyond time for Iger to leave. But I can't embrace Eisner again. Too many bad memories of the culture of "suits" with their heads in the air walking the Parks past us mere peons and peasants, being too good to make eye contact with their "money makers"! Oh that used to gripe me soooo bad.
He could lift his leg and pee on me as he passed if it meant that he would come in gung-ho building rides, and attractions to compete with Uni.
I am so over the non-stop DVC and M&G building spree.

CDavid

This still would not provide solution to the fact that less than half the guests on an average day have the ability to ride the attraction.

Since it is the highest demand attraction at WDW (not fulfilled, just highest demand) along with Sorin, doubling capacity would be a great decision.

Even the highest capacity attractions are seldom going to be able to accommodate every visitor in the park; Not everyone in the MK can ride Space Mountain either, but not everyone wants to and - more importantly - there are plenty of other choices.

Building additional family-friendly attractions will reduce demand for Toy Story Mania, and provide more attractions in a park severely lacking in rides. Same holds true for Soarin' over in Future World. Merely building another copy of an existing attractions gives us nothing new.

StageFrenzy

I may sound like an idiot for asking, but is it possible to add an attraction anywhere in Streets of America? I know most of the buildings are just facades but is it there any way to squeeze anything in there? Its such a cool area, it would be awesome if you could actually enter one of the buildings (for a ride, not a M&G or show).

Anything is possible, but most of the facades have something behind them/not enough room. Coming from the NY skyscraper facade:

Immediate right is Scifi,
Immediate left is Muppet courtyard/Muppet Vision

Intermediate right is HiStK playground
Intermediate left is tiny

An attraction at the end of sanfran street is plausible/is available since the Hunchback theater is still there sitting unused.

JimboJones123

Even the highest capacity attractions are seldom going to be able to accommodate every visitor in the park; Not everyone in the MK can ride Space Mountain either, but not everyone wants to and - more importantly - there are plenty of other choices.

Building additional family-friendly attractions will reduce demand for Toy Story Mania, and provide more attractions in a park severely lacking in rides. Same holds true for Soarin' over in Future World. Merely building another copy of an existing attractions gives us nothing new.
It just gets things where they neeed to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom