The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Nemo14

Just a note to all my fans (monkeys and all) and, more importantly, my friends, I have decided that since everyone seems to have spent the last 4-5 weeks on Spring Break in Florida that it is time for me to take one ... and wasting the one time of year where the weather is truly like paradise to spend online here isn't what I choose for my break. So, I'll be taking some time off after answering a few posts tonight. ... Rest assured, like a bad case of herpes, I will return.

Not hanging around for April Fool's?

Nubs70

Thanks.

It's not a simple question that gets you a yes or no answer. You've enjoyed playing with numbers and different metrics to try and reach a conclusion that Bob Iger is a far better CEO than Michael Eisner was.

It would depend what exactly that eight times better means.

Bernie Madoff put up some extraordinary numbers, right?

Wall Street couldn't be doing better than it is, but does that somehow equate with both the small business owner and the average American? Of course not.

Ah yes, people who read and believe what I write are simply ignorant monkeys, right, Empress?

But why would you have a problem with Rasulo's leadership if you so enjoy Iger's? It will simply be more of the same and, obviously, you think that is fine and dandy. Numbers don't lie, do they?
Not to jump on the middle, but since I have my Speedo on, I'll dive in.

As an investor, am I not ultimately concerned with stock price increase and dividend performance rather than simply increase in market cap?

WDW1974

Original Poster
These threads are meant for discussion, but there has never been a discussion in my life that either a) didn't wander off in many directions or b) were held in a board room of a giant company. (OK, even then (a) applied)
I know you do not profit directly, cash wise, no matter what the "hit" count is, but, be honest now, you know that your heart speeds up just a little when you look at the count. I know this because you have said so in the past. Nothing wrong with that... just saying!

True enough, Goof. But what I know as fact is that threads I author tend to get more attention than threads talking about a new Hub or which weekend in January someone should visit WDW or the where can I find Daisy Duck? threads. Because they get read by media figures, Disney execs and creatives from the industry, some folks enjoy turning them into anything goes BS-fests because they, correctly to some degree, know that's likely to get the important eyes off the thread and somehow injure my agenda (whatever they make up in their minds).

The numbers count only interests me because I see how Disney deals with social media and how they wine and dine Mommy Bloggers and Lifestylers, who often have tiny reaches of influence. So when someone gets excited because their podcast hit 50,000 clicks after five years, I just laugh my off because I know how fast I can get 50K clicks. As someone who can't stand what social media has turned into, I do admit to being very good at knowing how to use it.

Again, it does nothing for me. Nothing at all, which is why I am exploring other platforms to spread my Spirited message in addition to chatting with folks here.

While I was sick I had, unfortunately, plenty of time to sit at my screen and go back and forth, but that isn't the daily reality.

WDW1974

Original Poster

As an investor, am I not ultimately concerned with stock price increase and dividend performance rather than simply increase in market cap?

An an investor, you should be interested in the long term health of both the company and your investment. Period.

Unless you are a day trader and don't care about anything beyond the price today versus yesterday.

And why do you have your Speedo on at the computer?:D

John

Just a note to all my fans (monkeys and all) and, more importantly, my friends, I have decided that since everyone seems to have spent the last 4-5 weeks on Spring Break in Florida that it is time for me to take one ... and wasting the one time of year where the weather is truly like paradise to spend online here isn't what I choose for my break. So, I'll be taking some time off after answering a few posts tonight. ... Rest assured, like a bad case of herpes, I will return.

I for one am not happy about this development.....can someone point me to guest relations? Seriously....Spring Break? really? j/k....recharge your Spirit and get back soon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Yes. You could just issue addition shares to increase your market cap. That's what typically happens in a merger paid for with stock(ABC, Pixar, Marvel, Lucas). It doesn't necessarily result in an increase in value for the original shareholder. Another way to look at it is that adjusted for dividends and splits a share of DIS stock today would have had an adjusted price of less than $1 when Eisner took over in 1984. The same share had an adjusted price of just over $21 when he left the company. Under Iger it went to $80.

Nubs70

An an investor, you should be interested in the long term health of both the company and your investment. Period.

Unless you are a day trader and don't care about anything beyond the price today versus yesterday.

And why do you have your Speedo on at the computer?:D
Absolutely agree about the long term health perspective. As stock splits are a metric of long term health, how many splits did Eisner have during his tenure as compared to Iger?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Which is why I suggested you make separate threads for each topic. General chat threads like this are largely impossible to moderate. By what criteria do we judge what is on topic and what is off topic? It seems topics range from TV, movies, sports, overseas Disney parks, Universal, Walt Disney Co - and they are just the subjects discussed by you.

Except that much of what goes on is interconnected. WDW doesn't operate in a vacuum. Many fans don't understand how large media and entertainment companies work. And, FWIW, I see very few discussions in News and Rumours that stay on the original topic after a handful of pages.

We were having what I felt was a very topical, fascinating and entertaining discussion on TWDC's current and prior CEOs and suddenly someone was posting their fantasy of Disney making large scale Star Wars projects a reality at WDW. And then that went off the rails ...

If I did independent threads on this site on every little tidbit (some bigger than others ...I'm sure you realize news has been broken in this thread many times and it isn't one of my best efforts), then you might have 25 Spirited threads going on at one time on just this board. That's not anything I want to get into.

If people can't keep up with one thread, then no one says they have to stay in it. I also think that line is largely BS because you wouldn't get the numbers if people were unable to follow. They'd give up.

Anyone would think you just want to get a single thread to hit a major milestone number of views or replies. You can't have it both ways Mr Spirit.

Steve, I don't care how many numbers we get. That's your department.I do want the attention and the eyeballs. They are good for both the site and me. But I'm much more interested in having one place where forum members can go and talk about the news of the day in the entertainment business, but mostly Disney. Just like Eddie Sotto, who much like me also hasn't been an Imagineer in the 21st century, wanted a thread to discuss WDI (well, except for any real world political battles there) and design.

And let's recall, that I started doing the catch all threads to try and keep the nastiness and vitriol down by the folks who view Disney as a religion and cannot separate themselves from the BRAND and take my views as personal attacks on them instead of simply a critical view of the company. These threads are incredibly easy to avoid.

FWIW, I think it happens to be working because this thread is now 342 pages and, for the first time ever, I haven't been attacked and we haven't had numerous trolls come visit.

the.dreamfinder

Meanwhile at UNI...
Ej8Oyf8.gif

WDW1974

Original Poster
They are just too long. I love all the material in the threads, but I've never read an entire thread by Spirit. I simply don't have time to sit through 300-500 pages. Who has that kind of time? So I'm with you @wdwmagic

I've already said my piece. But who reads 300-500 pages at once? If people can read 5-10 pages a day on an 11-page thread, why can't they on a 211-page thread?

And if someone wishes to come in late, then they are welcome, they should just read a bit before entering (which, frankly, is common sense and appropriate netiquette) and let them join when they can ...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I don't believe that splits are a measure of true health of a company. And I don't have the numbers on splits handy and @ParentsOf4 is on Spring Break at UNI!
DIS has had 7 splits. 3 under Eisner. None under Iger.

The first under Roy in 62 was a 103:100 split, with a closing price of 27.37. The next, also under Roy, was in 1967, and was a 2:1 split with a closing price of 54.00.

The next two were under Card Walker. 1971 was a 2:1 split with a closing price of 93.12. 1973 was another 2:1 split with a closing price of 108.00.

The last three were under Eisner. 1986 a 4:1 split with a closing price of 35.75. 1992 a 4:1 split with a closing price of 39.63. 1998 a 3:1 split with a closing price of 38.13.

There have been no splits under Iger that I know of.

WDW1974

Original Poster
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/mar/31/frozen-1bn-top-grossing-animation
"Frozen has become the top-grossing animated film in box office history, the makers Disney said on Sunday as the musical topped $1bn in global sales.
The film has sold $398.4m worth of tickets at domestic (US and Canadian) theatres since opening on November 27 on the eve of the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend. Foreign box offices have added another $674m, for a global total of $1.072bn, Disney said. "

"Frozen, which stayed in the top 10 films on domestic box office charts for more than three months, also has now become the 10th-largest grossing film in cinema history. "

Fantastic. So can we please get a Frozen attraction without gutting another one now?

Anyone know of anything planned? @marni1971 @WDW1974 ? @Lee ?

Lots of pitches. Nothing given the go-ahead yet ...

I will bet you anything that the first place to get something is not WDW.

WDW1974

Original Poster
What makes you think that Disney is keeping things from potential tenants? Just because they have not publicly released tenants does not mean they Disney are not sharing with potential tenants during discussions. A good number are already signed up, and tenants are very much aware of other businesses that are signed up.

Do you know who they are?

I have heard tales of tenants and a few I believe, but not a list.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know things have been proposed, but nothing has been greenlit.

I wouldn't plan on seeing a Frozen ride for at least a few years. If at all.

This is what you drop in for?

Not to talk about the season finale of Walking Dead ... or how Michael Eisner likes reading about himself!:)

BTW, I hope you did something special for my beloved, DD. We both know how easy it would be to replace you!:devilish::D:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom