The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Soarin' Over Pgh

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/mar/31/frozen-1bn-top-grossing-animation
"Frozen has become the top-grossing animated film in box office history, the makers Disney said on Sunday as the musical topped $1bn in global sales.
The film has sold $398.4m worth of tickets at domestic (US and Canadian) theatres since opening on November 27 on the eve of the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend. Foreign box offices have added another $674m, for a global total of $1.072bn, Disney said. "

"Frozen, which stayed in the top 10 films on domestic box office charts for more than three months, also has now become the 10th-largest grossing film in cinema history. "

Fantastic. So can we please get a Frozen attraction without gutting another one now?

Anyone know of anything planned? @marni1971 @WDW1974 ? @Lee ?

Soarin' Over Pgh

The problem is, how many variations on WoD do we need? Christmas Disney stuff, pet Disney stuff, trendy Disney stuff, Disney kitchen gear ... there has to be a limit. For the Springs to succeed, DTD needs outlet mall stores more than the stores need DTD. They apparently let American Girl slip away; and as you say, not promoting a list of tenants, which would probably be the best way to attract new tenants.

Right. Because potential tenants would want to know who else is going to be in the neighborhood. Competition (fair or otherwise) is a good thing in the case of DTD. By not advertising who is already signed- or may be signing- up to launch a store here, Disney is only hurting themselves.

Which, at this point, they're very good at doing.

IMHO American Girl is HOT right now, to let that slide... :banghead:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Right. Because potential tenants would want to know who else is going to be in the neighborhood. Competition (fair or otherwise) is a good thing in the case of DTD. By not advertising who is already signed- or may be signing- up to launch a store here, Disney is only hurting themselves.

Which, at this point, they're very good at doing.

IMHO American Girl is HOT right now, to let that slide... :banghead:
What makes you think that Disney is keeping things from potential tenants? Just because they have not publicly released tenants does not mean they Disney are not sharing with potential tenants during discussions. A good number are already signed up, and tenants are very much aware of other businesses that are signed up.

Soarin' Over Pgh

What makes you think that Disney is keeping things from potential tenants? Just because they have not publicly released tenants does not mean they Disney are not sharing with potential tenants during discussions. A good number are already signed up, and tenants are very much aware of other businesses that are signed up.

This is true. And I'm sure they are showcasing the already signed tenants to potential ones. But what about the potential clients who aren't in-the-know and are generally interested in the tenant list but aren't ready/willing to listen to Disney's sales pitch in order to see?

Not saying you're wrong, I agree with you there... but I do think it's foolish to not publicly post at least a few big name tenants to give companies an idea of what to expect.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I am very serious by the way about questioning why real Disney fans are ALL about rides? There is so much to do and see...maybe people should stop and take in their surrounding more from time to time instead of running to ride A, B, C,

My wife and I hardly "all about the rides". We often have days we hit only one attraction for the entire day and spend the whole day soaking up the environment. That is how we came to notice sooooo many of the little things that make a difference in the "magic". But it goes both ways. Its like being in a dark room, your eyes eventually adjust and you can see better. You start to notice all the little things that hurt the magic. Lights burned out, empty buildings that once housed great things, trash on the ground, cracked and chipped paint, rude CM's, dirty monorails, filthy gutters that need to be cleaned, fountains malfunctioning, etc. While individually these things are not bad, when you see them all within an hour or two it adds up and I remember when you never saw any of them at all.

Dont get me wrong, we still enjoy ourselves. Just notice a little bit more each trip and it upsets me. I want to grab a ladder and box of light bulbs and a paintbrush and get to work. I want to hold a CM meeting and tell them about how CM's at Haunted Mansion used to play the part and act creepy and put on a scary voice when telling me to "drag my body to the dead center of the room", not "please move to the middle everybody". Yes, there are still CM's who love to play the role, but not as many there used to be. There is still plenty of magic in all the little things, but they are taking things away at a higher rate than they are adding them, heck, they hardly add anything nowadays, they just take away.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This is true. And I'm sure they are showcasing the already signed tenants to potential ones. But what about the potential clients who aren't in-the-know and are generally interested in the tenant list but aren't ready/willing to listen to Disney's sales pitch in order to see?

Not saying you're wrong, I agree with you there... but I do think it's foolish to not publicly post at least a few big name tenants to give companies an idea of what to expect.
The third party vendors want to announce their expansions on their own timetable, and much closer to their opening.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'll remind you that you said that after Avatar opens...

You can honestly tell me that your not the slightest bit concerned that they will repeat what they did in New FL. Make a beautiful area with awesome details but nothing that blows you away and value engineered attractions. (Looking at you, Belles cottage, with the cut outs you hold over your face, and you, LM...clone, oh and you in the back, the tent that the kids play and scream in)

Cesar R M

Anger??!?!

What anger?

Trust me, you wouldn't like to see this Spirit truly angry ... whether you are a pesky meddler here ... or a WDC exec who fails to show me a proper dose of RESPECT ... or simply someone who is rude and won't answer an email. I have a very nasty side, but my good side is more than ample (ask any fanboi minion!)
There was very brutal discussion a few pages ago, I think you missed some of them.

Also on other pages too. Not just this thread.
Anyway, took a glorious nap back then and felt better.

Absolutely not. As Eisner was much more hands-on, which was (and continues to be) a criticism of his. Iger delegates.

As to an average day, Willow keeps forgetting to send me a daily schedule when she gives me insider info (like on NGE!), so I couldn't say. I would guess his days are largely filled with meetings. Execs at that level love meetings.
So.. managers have to have meetings just to look "busy" and "We are totally working"?
Im surprised they didn't do cuts in management instead of on entertainment!
I wonder how many sacred cows, friends of friends or other things happen in Management.

And Avatar.

Wanna talk about a kitchen sink. :p

one word.. BATHROOMS..

I know of a whole thraed who would pay for a Meg meet and greet!

Lawyers would salivate.. hospitals too, because I bet the brawl would be bigger than a World Cup Hooligan Fight.

Lets talk MM+.

1) Infrastructure

This is expensive, and anyone who is net based or cellular based to make their living (as I am, I can't be disconnected for very long, and I'm becoming more and more the norm) will say, the infrastructure at WDW was lacking...severely lacking. I can relate stories where I've had terrible internet (wireless) at CBR or Pop even as recently as 2012. Not to mention cellular coverage being spotty both at the parks and the hotels (one year, at CBR, I only had cellular coverage just outside my room door, and since I had a conference call with a vendor, had to keep running outside to talk to them, then back inside to do something on the computer, then back outside to talk to them some more).

I can happily report, with two resorts (CR and POFQ) that in 2013, this was not an issue. And, this upgrade is expensive, but frankly and urban level infrastructure upgrade which needed to be done.

Of the rumored 2 billion (I don't fault the number), I wonder how much of it was that...and...yes, this needed to be done. Period.

2) Magicbands

Ok, they are gimmicky. Their marketed "value", which is ease, is vastly overrated (the old KTTW system did pretty much everything the MB system does, the best new feature is Photopass integration, really). However, they also are quite convenient (except on some hotel room doors where it physically hurts to put your arm in the right position for "mickey to mickey"...as a side note, it would be better to mount the readers mid-door...maybe an upgrade for the future).

Many kids won't want to wear them all day, just like many kids didn't wear their lanyards all day, and that's an annoyance for parents. It's not as simple as a card to slip into a wallet as the KTTW was. But, overall, it's not a bad concept.

Some of the promises made for it's RFID features are a bit sky high once you break them down to operations, and senior management (like Staggs, who probably thinks SEO is a solid investment because his retarded business buddies think so as well) shouldn't have marketed them as a plus...but, that being said, traffic shaping and other data collected from the bluetooth section of the bands is extremely useful to improve park operations (not sales/revenue...operations).

However, if you look at it from their perspective, while improving operations efficiency is massively important for the bottom line, it's also not sexy to investors (unless you plan to outsource, that is sexy). Especially if it involves significant initial investment. So, rather, you sell it as something else.

3) FP+, MDE, Magicbands

MDE and FP+ gets lumped in with Magicbands more then it should. They are separate systems that integrate. Yes, Disney is trying to get you to stay on site, but also Disney is trying to pull a Progressive/Geico move (I use that analogy because I work in Insurance, and it's apt). They want to cut out the middle man.

Hence, MDE...

Sites like this, and more importantly, tons of travel agents, not only in the US but overseas, make a mint (not saying forum sites make a mint, just using it as a point) off of Disney...planning peoples vacations, people asking for advice...etc...etc...etc...

This means there is a medium, a rather large one (this isn't the only, nor the largest, WDW site out there) which Disney does not control.

Heck, there are people ON THIS FORUM who have paid for touring plans, apps for their phones and travel services. Nothing wrong with any of that, but again, look at it from Disney's standpoint.

They want you to use them and WDTC, that's it. And, if you were in their shoes, you would feel the same.

By creating tools to make it easier for people to plan their trips (such as MDE), and added "benefits", like FP+...they not only target those who may plan to leave the property (they really don't care, chips all out, if you go to Uni for a day, as long as you stay in one of their resorts...they really don't...think about it, you pay an inflated hotel rate, but stress their resources less...they don't care. Heck, they'd love for you to stay at PORS for 3 days but only visit Uni. Talk about profits! Sure, they'd rather you stay on property and spend money with them, but they already made their cash off you...the rest is gravy.)

But, back on track, they not only target those who may plan to leave property, they help those who are unsure of their visit plan out their days to STAY on property. There is a LOT to do at WDW, and with MDE, Disney has decided to toss that out in the open for every guest to see, and think about, before coming.

No more being overwhelmed before a trip and turning to forums for advice or creating spreadsheets. No need to go to allears or here or something to get restaurant hours and menus. Instead, you can get all you need from MDE.

And, I think that is a VERY smart move on their part. And very forward thinking. They can control the content, they can control the message...

But, back to FP+...there's nothing wrong with the system. It's neat and it works well. It's far more likely to be taken advantage of by people who know the parks (for example, regulars at MK are FAR more likely to get a Peter Pan FP+ then those who think that the teacups are a terrible wait...)

But, it is what it is. I enjoyed it. I don't see it as a bad thing for those who are staying on site. Criticisms that it hurts guests who stay offsite are valid, and frankly...I don't care. Disney doesn't have capacity issues with the parks, and it shouldn't manage as if it did.

Those who say it's unfair, I'd point out that staying at a "deluxe" (since there are about to be two levels) Universal hotel grants you UNLIMITED FASTPASS...and yes, you can buy it if you stay offsite, but if you do, you may as well pay to stay onsite. Disney is using the same exact tactic (without marketing it to you every 20 feet, like they do with Express Pass at Uni).

4) Customer Facing and Back Office Systems redesign and integration

This is what I think is largely missed. Ever visited disneyland.com or disneycruise.com recently? They are integrating all their sites (and back end systems) into one. They are starting to look and operate very similar to the WDW site. This is a MASSIVE expense, but carries with it the potential for future operations.

For example, planning a split visit (WDW -> DCL -> WDW) trip this past year carried with it some hassles...however, with integrated systems, this would not be the case.

And THIS, is what the 2b is really for, I suspect. Getting them all on the same operating platform...eventually worldwide. And this is a good thing.

Summary

Is it a massive financial failure? As marketed to the general public (that it would drive per guest spending up)...probably, actually, it's hard to say it wasn't a failure.

But, is it a failure as a whole? I would say no. I think, in this case, the executives are quite aware of these issues, and this is the trojan horse they used to sell it to the outside world (namely investors).

But, that's my opinion. And, for the record, I largely am not a fan of MM+...and I've voiced that several times. However...

Like it, or hate it...MM+ is, as has been mentioned, "too big to fail"...but it's a lot more than plastic bracelets and phone apps.

Fully agree with you on the upgrades, I honestly think part of the huge cost was this.. upgrading..

WDW seemed to have very ancient tech regarding Internet, Wireless and Connection in many zones.
They NEEDED to be upgraded or their entire infrastructure would collapse... taking important sections down as well.

I still think they planned the whole fp+ very badly.
Like someone mentioned here.. instead of having FP+ Kiosks with people helping old men with pads.
they could have installed ATM type machines with magicband readers (or printed code readers in paper or cards) near the older FP places..
you could just swipe your magicband and you could assign your FP+ slot. (or confirm it if you had indeed scheduled your fp+ days ago)

glad I could be of assistance :) ... and I am very serious by the way about questioning why real Disney fans are ALL about rides? There is so much to do and see...maybe people should stop and take in their surrounding more from time to time instead of running to ride A, B, C, etc. I'm not saying rides aren't important...and yes they may even be the most important things to some degree, but "rides" aren't what makes Disney World solely what it is...it's a part of it....and with those who focus just on "rides"...well I can see why so many of then drool over Uni and need a wet nap.
WDWDad.. no offence.. but why are you still poking the dead horse?
Almost feels like you want to rile people's feelings again and instigate another discussion.

I learn the most FASCINATING things from the Disney Parks Blog. Did you know that The Lion King was released in 1996? Me neither!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ember-the-magic-parade-at-magic-kingdom-park/
Wow its TheDamnCastleFloat(tm)!

Also I noticed the blog is putting more and more nostalgia posts lately.. from older parades..etc..etc..

Cesar R M

Ever visit Festival Bay? It's an absolutely gorgeous* mall on the north end of I-Drive--with maybe a 30% occupancy rate in its heyday. They use fake store fronts--basically curtains with photo-realistic pictures of stores--which gives the place a creepy, Stepford vibe.

*Really, the fountains, the mosaic floors, could easily have been pulled out of a theme park. And because it had so little traffic, everything looks brand new even a decade after opening.
Sorry to say but nope, never been there.

STONE. COLD.

That woman scares me.

Willing to bet you're right on the money with this one. Still, she scares me.
Could be worse honestly.. anyone remembers Donatella Versace?
A pair of surgeries and she will look like a muppet.
FNZK8mY.jpg

Parking your car is even MORE magical now!
With Amazing Car-Park Black Magical DUST!(tm)
WWf6fCp.jpg

FrankLapidus

glad I could be of assistance :) ... and I am very serious by the way about questioning why real Disney fans are ALL about rides? There is so much to do and see...maybe people should stop and take in their surrounding more from time to time instead of running to ride A, B, C, etc. I'm not saying rides aren't important...and yes they may even be the most important things to some degree, but "rides" aren't what makes Disney World solely what it is...it's a part of it....and with those who focus just on "rides"...well I can see why so many of then drool over Uni and need a wet nap.

Its sad that you can't resist taking a petty cheap shot at Universal or anyone who likes them whenever you attempt to defend WDW, is it just a habit at this point? Do you even realise that you're doing it anymore? It just seems a bit desperate to have to resort to doing it so often.

PeterAlt

You can honestly tell me that your not the slightest bit concerned that they will repeat what they did in New FL. Make a beautiful area with awesome details but nothing that blows you away and value engineered attractions. (Looking at you, Belles cottage, with the cut outs you hold over your face, and you, LM...clone, oh and you in the back, the tent that the kids play and scream in)
I don't think so. Notice FLE changed after Staggs took over. Also, with $800 million and Cameron involved, it's like that Smuckers commercial, "With a name like Smuckers, it has to be good." Except, it's Cameron we're talking about, which is better than good.

Sue_Vongello

I have not been on in a while ... it's frustrating to never see any news or rumors or forward momentum. However, I checked back in today and read through some of this topic ... and well ... nothing has changed ... oh wait it's worse ... apparently Rasulo is next in line?! GAH!!

I can't believe WDW/TDO is even draining my love for this site and community!

FrankLapidus

I have not been on in a while ... it's frustrating to never see any news or rumors or forward momentum. However, I checked back in today and read through some of this topic ... and well ... nothing has changed ... oh wait it's worse ... apparently Rasulo is next in line?! GAH!!

I can't believe WDW/TDO is even draining my love for this site and community!

If Rasulo gets the job then I'm done, the only direction for the company to go in with him in charge is down. Its an absolute joke that he could even be considered for the position, he exemplifies everything that is wrong about Disney today.

WDWDad13

Its sad that you can't resist taking a petty cheap shot at Universal or anyone who likes them whenever you attempt to defend WDW, is it just a habit at this point? Do you even realise that you're doing it anymore? It just seems a bit desperate to have to resort to doing it so often.

what part of that seemed like "taking a shot at Uni" vs complimenting Uni saying if people just cared about "rides", then I can see why some like it. I guess you didn't get that

...and trust me... I am WAY behind on my WDW v/s Uni comparisons compared to others around here haha

MerlinTheGoat

With April Fools day approaching tomorrow, it's probably prudent to remind everyone to be on your guard from the imminent BS that is liable to happen everywhere. So if anyone tries to tell you that Horizons is coming back or the Adventurers Club is reopening (or other such obvious or less obvious bull), remember what day it is. Same goes for any other thing out there besides Disney.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom