The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
With all due respect, Goof ... that BS. One poster came in here on a Sunday when the mods were off or busy and pushed the thread into insanity. I will worry about things like that when I well understand the purpose.

EDIT: And I didn't mean that to sound as nasty as it may have. I am a bit peeved at the poster who had 12 hours to kill and was allowed to take this off the rails. I put a lot of effort into posting on this site and giving honest opinions mixed with first-hand knowledge of Disney, UNI and the entertainment industry for which I am not compensated. All of those 'hits' you reference, only go to help WDWMAGIC.com's bottom line, not mine. I haven't ever sought to monetize this reality of mine. Apparently, I'm a whale in the fan community ... and I'll never fit into my bathing suit for spring break!!! :eek::D:cool:
Which is why I suggested you make separate threads for each topic. General chat threads like this are largely impossible to moderate. By what criteria do we judge what is on topic and what is off topic? It seems topics range from TV, movies, sports, overseas Disney parks, Universal, Walt Disney Co - and they are just the subjects discussed by you.

Anyone would think you just want to get a single thread to hit a major milestone number of views or replies. You can't have it both ways Mr Spirit.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Or the entertainment cuts. Or the fact that DHS and EPCOT will have gone a decade without additions by the time Pandora opens.

Will there be ANY entertainment left by the time Avatar is SCHEDULED to open, Other than closures and demolition which Disney these days does IMMEDIATELY, Construction is at a much slower pace. With this being a CEO pet project - these usually get cancelled immediately after the installation of the new CEO, Sort of like Pharaoh hammering out the cartouche's of his predecessor so as to remind everyone who is NOW in charge.

With Iger leaving 2 years before scheduled opening I give Avatar a 50/50 shot at actually opening and that depends largely on how glacial the pace of construction if in 2 years the only things complete are the earthworks and drainage I give it a zero percentage probability of opening,

It will be interesting to see @Scuttle 's aerial shots to give a progress estimate

twebber55

Will there be ANY entertainment left by the time Avatar is SCHEDULED to open, Other than closures and demolition which Disney these days does IMMEDIATELY, Construction is at a much slower pace. With this being a CEO pet project - these usually get cancelled immediately after the installation of the new CEO, Sort of like Pharaoh hammering out the cartouche's of his predecessor so as to remind everyone who is NOW in charge.

With Iger leaving 2 years before scheduled opening I give Avatar a 50/50 shot at actually opening and that depends largely on how glacial the pace of construction if in 2 years the only things complete are the earthworks and drainage I give it a zero percentage probability of opening,

It will be interesting to see @Scuttle 's aerial shots to give a progress estimate
would love a wager on that

Scuttle

Which is why I suggested you make separate threads for each topic. General chat threads like this are largely impossible to moderate. By what criteria do we judge what is on topic and what is off topic? It seems topics range from TV, movies, sports, overseas Disney parks, Universal, Walt Disney Co - and they are just the subjects discussed by you.

Anyone would think you just want to get a single thread to hit a major milestone number of views or replies. You can't have it both ways Mr Spirit.
They are just too long. I love all the material in the threads, but I've never read an entire thread by Spirit. I simply don't have time to sit through 300-500 pages. Who has that kind of time? So I'm with you @wdwmagic

71jason

I honestly hope they do not overdo it and make a mistake by making too many spaces "for rent".
Can you imagine how ugly would it look if half the rooms were empty?
It would look REALLY BAD.

Ever visit Festival Bay? It's an absolutely gorgeous* mall on the north end of I-Drive--with maybe a 30% occupancy rate in its heyday. They use fake store fronts--basically curtains with photo-realistic pictures of stores--which gives the place a creepy, Stepford vibe.

*Really, the fountains, the mosaic floors, could easily have been pulled out of a theme park. And because it had so little traffic, everything looks brand new even a decade after opening.

Scuttle

I can't wait to get up! It'll be a little while though guys, hopefully Keaton can get up in the air soon. Plus there's probably nothing to see for another couple months anyway.

WDWDad13

Sorry I'm a realist and don't go to WDW with my eyes closed. I grew up going to WDW in the late 80's and 90's and I remember what the park use to look like.

and if the park still what it was in the 80's and 90's the same people would be here complain the parks are stale

things change, people change, families change, modern culture changes, change is always going to happen

tissandtully

Ever visit Festival Bay? It's an absolutely gorgeous* mall on the north end of I-Drive--with maybe a 30% occupancy rate in its heyday. They use fake store fronts--basically curtains with photo-realistic pictures of stores--which gives the place a creepy, Stepford vibe.

*Really, the fountains, the mosaic floors, could easily have been pulled out of a theme park. And because it had so little traffic, everything looks brand new even a decade after opening.

I'd been in there once and it was deserted except for the movie theater. Kind of crazy.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Cool as a cucumber.

PC0622051.jpg

STONE. COLD.

That woman scares me.

Drunk Meg is probly awesome. Sober Meg is just bad news.

Willing to bet you're right on the money with this one. Still, she scares me.

They are just too long. I love all the material in the threads, but I've never read an entire thread by Spirit. I simply don't have time to sit through 300-500 pages. Who has that kind of time? So I'm with you @wdwmagic

Agreed. It's hard to shift through the dozens of pages of crap (even more so when you have one or more users on ignore, so now people look like they're arguing with themselves. But if you take said member(s) off ignore, you're subjected to their dribble and drool) to find the interesting tidbits... I find myself skimming quite a lot, and I'm sure missing a lot of good posts.

I don't think a new thread per subject is necessarily in order but something to help with the backpain of carrying this million-post thread would be a good thing. Maybe a new thread for 'major' or very important subjects, something @WDW1974 wants a lot of eyes to see, rather than it getting buried here, I would certainly be in favor of that.

CDavid

Cool as a cucumber.

PC0622051.jpg

STONE. COLD.

That woman scares me.

I think she looks pretty hot. Blonde hair, nice smile - we're talking about the woman on the right, correct? :D

With Iger leaving 2 years before scheduled opening I give Avatar a 50/50 shot at actually opening and that depends largely on how glacial the pace of construction if in 2 years the only things complete are the earthworks and drainage I give it a zero percentage probability of opening

I don't think the chances are anywhere near that low, but depending on Iger's influence (or lack thereof) over his successor and near the end of his tenure, there is time before the scheduled opening to see significant changes and cutbacks.

Ever visit Festival Bay? It's an absolutely gorgeous* mall on the north end of I-Drive--with maybe a 30% occupancy rate in its heyday..

Given the history of Flamingo Crossings and Hyperion Wharf, this is my fear for Disney Springs. They are adding a large number of storefronts, and still aren't promoting a list of tenants. News over restaurant additions in the former Pleasure Island clubs is encouraging (ironically something like what they had in mind when they initially shuttered the place), but I have to wonder if Disney is prepared to fill vacant locations with its own shops, if necessary.

Last edited:

Scuttle

and if the park still what it was in the 80's and 90's the same people would be here complain the parks are stale

things change, people change, families change, modern culture changes, change is always going to happen
Not in a a business model. You should never go away from what took you to the top (park maintenance) playing a vital role in separating you from the competition. Not to mention pushing the envelope on innovative attractions. Last serious game changer was ToT. I'm serious Disney parks better watch out because Universal is doing exactly what Disney use to do. As I've said more than once, once Universal gets multiple generations of fans it's an equal playing field. 20 years and counting for a truly ground breaking attraction at your number one money making destination? That is absolutely inexcusable.

lazyboy97o

Not in a a business model. You should never go away from what took you to the top (park maintenance) playing a vital role in separating you from the competition. Not to mention pushing the envelope on innovative attractions. Last serious game changer was ToT. I'm serious Disney parks better watch out because Universal is doing exactly what Disney use to do. As I've said more than once, once Universal gets multiple generations of fans it's an equal playing field. 20 years and counting for a truly ground breaking attraction at your number one money making destination? That is absolutely inexcusable.
Nonsense. I was just at Woolworths this morning and am planning a flight on Pan Am on my Blackberry.

PhotoDave219

I learn the most FASCINATING things from the Disney Parks Blog. Did you know that The Lion King was released in 1996? Me neither!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ember-the-magic-parade-at-magic-kingdom-park/

You have to admit, the DPB has gotten a LOT better in the past several months, since some major changes happened. I'm not sure its realistic to expect them to be operating in real-time, with the levels of bueracracy involved.

I really dig the timelapse that they did at a Braves/Phillies game.

71jason

Given the history of Flamingo Crossings and Hyperion Wharf, this is my fear for Disney Springs. They are adding a large number of storefronts, and still aren't promoting a list of tenants. News over restaurant additions in the former Pleasure Island clubs is encouraging (ironically something like what they had in mind when they initially shuttered the place), but I have to wonder if Disney is prepared to fill vacant locations with its own shops, if necessary.

The problem is, how many variations on WoD do we need? Christmas Disney stuff, pet Disney stuff, trendy Disney stuff, Disney kitchen gear ... there has to be a limit. For the Springs to succeed, DTD needs outlet mall stores more than the stores need DTD. They apparently let American Girl slip away; and as you say, not promoting a list of tenants, which would probably be the best way to attract new tenants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom