The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'll second this comment and raise you one more. Had Disney gotten the Harry Potter rights and built nothing more than a bathroom around the franchise (nothing else, no rides/restaurants/shops, just Harry Potties), some of those same people that attack Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley would still praise Disney for the toilets.

To be fair, toilets are some of the best new product to come to WDW this decade ... and we all like comfortable places to take care of business, right?

spacemt354

Chili's
True enough, but I also wish folks had some degree of self control when situations like this arise. Getting into a back and forth that adds a dozen pages where valuable posts are lost in the muck isn't muck fun!

Anyone who has read here for a decent period damn well knows the poster in question is not an insider of any kind.
They're sorta playing the old JT game about DD where if you wait long enough ... years ... a decade ... who knows? ... he's bound to be right or no one will be here to care.

I agree. Looking back I think it probably would have been better to not get as involved with the member as I did.

Although it can be amusing at times to converse with the illogical and it can produce the occasional good laugh, it does sweep everyone into places that just don't provide anything of substance.

Cesar R M

I've said it before and I'll say it again... there are no rails for this thread to stay on. It's is a potpourri of connected and disconnected discussion. Enjoy your hits and stop worrying so much about topics.

Honestly, You sometimes have to be wary when navigating this forum.. you will meet people who lie for the sake of lie.. arguments appear.. fights might happen.. nerves get waked..

BexGSJU.jpg

I think everyone should take a stance of "dodging the bull" to avoid getting plowed by the information coming back and forth.. specially if its BAD information.

Yea, but I liked it better when all we spoke about was double wide strollers and 500 pound people on scooters.
Pretty sure we will renew this talk when they invent double decker double wide strollers for 500++ pound families.

A fanboi who is a drama queen, what a shock ...

Optimism is a fine thing when it is used appropriately and in measured doses.
I agree with optimism.. problem is.. some people need to take the optimism stance.. by supporting it with Facts.
Optimism for the sake of optimism could lead to just plaint blindness (or being total oblivious) to what really is happening.

MerlinTheGoat

Just a post that will get lost in the breeze and folks will wrongly attribute it to me, but nowhere did I ever say that Disney's NGE has cost $2.5 billion.

Only that I know they have reached the $2 billion level. Will they spend $2.5? Who knows? This is Too Big To Fail stuff and if it takes $4.8 billion than they'll pump it in, at least until management changes.
It was Martin who last said it had reached (or nearly reached) 2.5 billion-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-spirited-sixth-sense.879918/page-128#post-5954791

Doesn't really matter specifically how high it is, it's immensely past its original budget.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If i have to compare them

Eisner - Good for Theme Parks
Iger - Good for Film/TV

The reality is far more complex.

Eisner was good or great for just about every division of the company for his first 12-15 years ... and poor for some after that.

Iger has been great at films because he has acquired proven BRANDS, but long term the tentpole only strategy isn't wise. He has been great for parks if you look at the bottom line and not the product. He has been great at leaving Eisner's ESPN acquisition alone. He has been absolutely horrid at growing Disney organically ...

It's actually far more complex than even that, but that's a closer read ...

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
I agree. Looking back I think it probably would have been better to not get as involved with the member as I did.

Although it can be amusing at times to converse with the illogical and it can produce the occasional good laugh, it does sweep everyone into places that just don't provide anything of substance.
Don't worry about it. It could have been worse. We could have been cluster bombed by Jimmy Thick.

WDW1974

Original Poster
With a few minor exceptions, its Epcot. Sure, the attractions in FW aren't what they used to be, and there's some temporary theming problems, but compared to DAK its great.

Here's a few quick reasons why I don't like DAK:

There's only a couple of pathways to get around the park, and no quick transportation options available anywhere. There's no train circling the park (only the Rafiki's Planet Watch which is cut off from the rest of the park), no boat ride, etc.. The Tree of Life "Hub" doesn't really make things easier to get to the way MK does.

The pathways are too narrow and bumpy in many places, and with the average stroller brigade, it makes it difficult to get around.

Then the parade (which I realize is leaving now) causes massive backups....I worked as a contractor for a few months and when I had to get from the Safari area over to Dinoland...if the parade was going on, it was nigh impossible to move.

There's very few air conditioned places, only a few shops and eateries. In the summer, with the brutal heat and trees everywhere, the humidity seems to be much worse.

It is easy to get lost in the park....since the entire park is just trees, trees, trees everywhere.

The theming, while it is accurate, is far from the idealistic versions you see in the other parks. They're very run down, dilapidated and poor looking. While they are definitely accurate to the source "material" in this sense, it never gives me the positive vibes of the other Disney parks. This is more of a personal preference thing with me, and I realize that a lot of people disagree on that point. I even had a discussion with Eddie Sotto on here once about it.

To me, the park is built on too much authenticity and not enough on accessibilty for the average theme park guest.

I don't really want to get into a debate here, and your opinion is yours and valid, but I love DAK and feel it is the only park at WDW that remains true to its mission statement and isn't a muddled mess of 'let's throw anything in here' ... Now, I do agree with some of your criticisms ... the amount of trees wouldn't be one.

But when the weather is nice (like now) I don't find any WDW park nearly as enjoyable for just walking around and enjoying the place.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just a post that will get lost in the breeze and folks will wrongly attribute it to me, but nowhere did I ever say that Disney's NGE has cost $2.5 billion.

Only that I know they have reached the $2 billion level. Will they spend $2.5? Who knows? This is Too Big To Fail stuff and if it takes $4.8 billion than they'll pump it in, at least until management changes.

Thanks for the confirmation on the 2B number @WDW1974, In any case it's far too much money for the project's goals compared to similar projects in the commercial space.

WDW1974

Original Poster
why do you put eisner good for the parks? He's the one who ruined them in the first place. Cutting maintenance budgets, closing rides without replacements, replacing old favorites like tiki room, alien encounter and Journey into imagination with Tiki Room Under NEW management, stitch great escape, and journey into YOUR imagination all happened under Eisner's watch. Iger is merely continuing the park operations the same way he was shown by Eisner.

It's also not like Iger is ignoring the parks either. DCA got a major refurbishment and Cars Land, WDW got an upgraded fantasyland and will be getting a high quality Avatar land, Star Tours got a huge overhaul, HKDL received a major expansion, and Shanghai will not be built on the cheap like HKDL was. I'll take quality over quantity any day of the week wouldn't you?

Also Keep in mind the economic collapse in '08/'09 slowed things down considerably as well.

Neo, you really need to let this one rest.

When Eisner came in, Disney owned three parks in the USA, one that had just opened, and licensed a brand new one in Tokyo.

When he left, Disney had a global chain of 11 parks and had paved the way for the 12th, which is being built as I type this. Two masterpieces in theme park design, DLP and TDS, were built on his watch ... and one that has the potential to be, DAK, was built.

Countless amazing resorts were built globally as well as iconic attractions, all of which you leave out because it doesn't suit your agenda. We get it already.

Crap also got added to parks under Eisner and parks that were poorly thought out and not complete were opened as well.

But exactly what does your idol, The Weatherman, have in his P&R belt? I think his biggest accomplishment thus far in P&R is adding two new ships to DCL (something that Eisner also had plans for) and taking advantage of an economic downturn to force the Chinese into a deal for SDL.

Sure, the DCA makeover was nice, but he has already screwed fans over by forgetting all about that Phase II. And, understand this, something would have happened with DCA no matter who was running Disney. It had to be made into a successful companion for DL.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Does Iger have more on his plate to deal with on a daily basis than Eisner did?

What's an average business day like on the level they are at?

Californian Elitist

Sure, the DCA makeover was nice, but he has already screwed fans over by forgetting all about that Phase II. And, understand this, something would have happened with DCA no matter who was running Disney. It had to be made into a successful companion for DL.

Exactly. The park still isn't at its best, either, with the disjointed Hollywood Land.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The Eisner/Iger comparisons came up because of Iger's impending retirement. However, that's not really the comparison that's important at this point.

The real comparison is with who could come next. I don't want to see Eisner return. But I also don't want to see another Iger who is going to continue turning Disney into a IP company. I want to see someone who will focus on Parks as well.

We need someone who will balance films & TV with parks. Iger has not been that guy - at least not domestically.

If Bob Iger and Wall Street get their way right now, then you are looking at Jay Rasulo running TWDC ... thankfully, there are some powers (yes, including Eisner on up to members of the BoD who flat out hate the man).

I may be able to give more insight tomorrow, time willing ...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Exactly. The park still isn't at its best, either, with the disjointed Hollywood Land.
Yes, but in defense of Hollywood Land...I found it to be quite well themed with lots of little touches (the working trolley is icing on the cake).

It's much better then Sunset Blvd in WDW, and certainly more sonsistantly themed (the theme drops off about 1/4 of the way back... Well, outside of the Hollywood Tower Hotel. WDW beats the socks off DCA with that!

WDW1974

Original Poster
they are for me.. I'm a softie for thrill Rides ;)

In other news, I'm going to take a nap.. too much anger on the forum already.

Anger??!?!

What anger?

Trust me, you wouldn't like to see this Spirit truly angry ... whether you are a pesky meddler here ... or a WDC exec who fails to show me a proper dose of RESPECT ... or simply someone who is rude and won't answer an email. I have a very nasty side, but my good side is more than ample (ask any fanboi minion!)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And then it got turned into Stitch's Great Escape under Eisner.
Yes. And there were reasons for that which if you followed the parks at that time, were evident.

I've been on both (and the previous ride Mission to Mars) many many times, and frankly, I didn't find Extra Terrorestrial that great. In 95, it certainly was "different"...but...I felt it would fit far better at MGM then Tomorrowland. I wasn't alone with that thought (and, I do wish they'd tooled up a version of it over at MGM instead of simply converting it).

I think a lot of the reason it holds such a place as an "epic" attraction in many people's minds is that it was so short lived.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom