The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Goofyernmost

Wow! You take a day off and the thread goes right to the MK. ... No, I mean hell.

I'm sure the folks at Disney love when Spirited threads go off the rails, especially my pals over at Celebration Place.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... there are no rails for this thread to stay on. It's is a potpourri of connected and disconnected discussion. Enjoy your hits and stop worrying so much about topics.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney has long had a propensity to overspend. Phase I of Walt Disney World was supposed to be accomplished with $100 million dollars and it took $400 million. The EPCOT Center was expensive and over budget. Disneyland Paris was incredibly expensive and over budget. It is really nothing new, just compounded and made worse as decision making has shifted to more and more committees.

I can at least justify overspending when you are doing something that has never been done, like creating a WDW or an EPCOT Center ... or even making an incredibly detailed and beautiful resort near Paris.

But how can anyone (except for crazy Big Business can do no wrong types and WDW addicts) see any value in blowing billions on a data mining scam mixed in with a planning app and new door locks? Just insane. They should all lose their jobs over this crap.

Folks went nuts when Eisner bought Go.com (one of his biggest blunders!), yet this absurd tech buy at a much greater cost and one that equally prevents WDW from adding quality reasons (and value) for guests is somehow viewed as a good thing?!?! Insane!

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've said it before and I'll say it again... there are no rails for this thread to stay on. It's is a potpourri of connected and disconnected discussion. Enjoy your hits and stop worrying so much about topics.

With all due respect, Goof ... that BS. One poster came in here on a Sunday when the mods were off or busy and pushed the thread into insanity. I will worry about things like that when I well understand the purpose.

EDIT: And I didn't mean that to sound as nasty as it may have. I am a bit peeved at the poster who had 12 hours to kill and was allowed to take this off the rails. I put a lot of effort into posting on this site and giving honest opinions mixed with first-hand knowledge of Disney, UNI and the entertainment industry for which I am not compensated. All of those 'hits' you reference, only go to help WDWMAGIC.com's bottom line, not mine. I haven't ever sought to monetize this reality of mine. Apparently, I'm a whale in the fan community ... and I'll never fit into my bathing suit for spring break!!! :eek::D:cool:

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I just don't understand fanboi-ing a CEO. I have appreciation for both, but I don't worship either. (Not saying you do, but others here have taken sides in such an aggressive manner that it is comical)

I was a big supporter of Michael during the first 15 years of his tenure. And a loud vocal critic his last 5-6 years.

I was a cautious supporter of Bob Iger his first 2-3 years. And a loud and vocal critic since.

I know the first man. Never met the second. I do agree with your sentiments above.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not true at all.

Look at the great work in Anaheim, in Hong Kong, even on the cruise ships ... hell, the new area at DSP looks amazing.

Heck, even the New Fantasyland looks nice enough.

Should have clarified - in the last 2 years. FLE is the triumph of style over substance - have not been to the offshore parks recently.

PhotoDave219

I dunno in general, but this was one person (who had not been taking part in the discussion at all before driving it into all sorts of strange places). I don't like wasting my time here and having to wade thru an endless stream of either insanity or repetition ...

Eh.... I had to work today. The only one I noticed was that one victim blaming person from Texas is another thread.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spoken like a true insider. :rolleyes:

Don't come here with fluff. If you have information (credible), and you want to share, feel free to say it. Otherwise, please don't state opinion as fact. Just makes you look bad.

True enough, but I also wish folks had some degree of self control when situations like this arise. Getting into a back and forth that adds a dozen pages where valuable posts are lost in the muck isn't muck fun!

Anyone who has read here for a decent period damn well knows the poster in question is not an insider of any kind.
They're sorta playing the old JT game about DD where if you wait long enough ... years ... a decade ... who knows? ... he's bound to be right or no one will be here to care.

BrianLo

Not true at all.

Look at the great work in Anaheim, in Hong Kong, even on the cruise ships ... hell, the new area at DSP looks amazing.

Heck, even the New Fantasyland looks nice enough.

Completely agree. I was thinking about this today, over the course of 5 years (2012-2017) we'll see the complete roll out of DCA, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Ratatouille and Avatar land. That we know of! Not to mention whatever sneaks in from TDR

Radiator Springs Racers, Grizzly Gulch, Mystic Manor, Ratatouille, POTC, Lost River Rapids, Voyage of the Crystal Grotto, TRON, Ironman, Avatar...

Those are 10 really for real (completely original) E-tickets over the course of 5 years. Not even including all those other rides whose merit people love arguing over (SDMT for one).

How anyone can claim WDI is NOT doing anything with a straight face is beyond me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a post that will get lost in the breeze and folks will wrongly attribute it to me, but nowhere did I ever say that Disney's NGE has cost $2.5 billion.

Only that I know they have reached the $2 billion level. Will they spend $2.5? Who knows? This is Too Big To Fail stuff and if it takes $4.8 billion, then they'll pump it in, at least until management changes.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom