The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Goofyernmost

I'm not defensive, just asking a question. What about EPCOT? Those are real countries that one can visit. How do you feel about that park?
If I might add a thought here, I wondered about DCA myself. As for Africa, Asia, etc., in DAK and all the countries in World Showcase, well, they aren't just outside the gate when you leave are they. Many are places that most people will never have the opportunity to ever see up close and personal. California, on the other hand is just outside the entrance to the park. If you live there or if you have traveled halfway around the world to get there, it is still just outside the gate. Those other places are not.
To take it a step further into wonderment, the park itself is in California! Shouldn't the park have a mini DCA within DCA to completely show the full California?

Redhawk

So are you under the impression that the only thing people on this site do is ride the rides (aka attractions)? We don't eat, we don't visit world showcase while in Epcot, we don't stop to watch when a parade goes by, nor do we watch when fireworks go off.

It's funny how when I was in my teens and 20s all I was interested in was the rides. I didn't care about parades, I didn't care about shows, I didn't care about shopping, I didn't care about food (probably because it wasn't very good back then) -- I just wanted to ride the rides. Ok, I love fireworks so there was that too.

When I visited the parks in my late 30s, things changed. For one, there were 4 parks instead of 2. My husband wanted to watch the parades. I got curious about the shows. We saw a couple of the World Showcase films and shopped for souvenirs. The restaurants were better so I was more interested in exploring them.

All I'm saying is that it is/was possible for someone to visit the parks with little interest in anything other than going on the rides, and I think that in days of old for many people "the rides" were Disney World. Everything else was just atmosphere. Maybe some people still have that impression.

maxairmike

Wow that's about all I can say about some of this lol it really makes me question what WOULD make some of you happy

What would make me happy? Go read the thread about the repainting of Communicore. Getting EPCOT's FW back to the wonderful state it used to be in from a visual stand-point would send me over the moon, because it would indicate that someone in the company gets it and would likely mean the ride-related issues have a great chance at being rectified. Want to make me happy? Stop drying up water features left and right with the excuse of "draught" when more (intensive) water features have been built since. Maintain the iconic transportation system in a manner that fits the high prices guests pay that use it. Those three things alone would send me over the moon individually, let alone happening together. However, they would also indicate they maybe understand the problems and deficiencies related to rides and other attractions, so those have a greater chance at getting fixed as well.

Oh, and take down the darn Test Track canopy! Although that's ride related, so I guess that makes me a rides only person. Darn.

FrankLapidus

Just like bashing Disney for everything (including the good)

Well then, why don't you share some of the information your inside sources have provided to you and give those people a legitimate reason to have some optimism?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, why do you find any criticism of WDW so abhorrent? I know you like to play the "you're all being negative and critical for the sake of it" card but is it really that hard to believe and accept that they have genuine gripes with WDW that they might want to express on a discussion forum?

I mean, you consistently bash Universal (including the good) so why do you have such an issue with people expressing any type of criticism of WDW?

MerlinTheGoat

Just like bashing Disney for everything (including the good)
Name something you consider good that we've bashed. Maintenance cuts aren't good, value engineered dark rides such as Mermaid are mediocre, tearing down and replacing rides with either inferior versions or nothing I can hardly consider good. Spending 2.5+ billion on wristbands instead of park attractions is hardly praise worthy (especially since even Iger realizes it's a flop financially). There have been good Disney projects, but they have largely avoided WDW's gates. Star Tours 2.0 and Festival of Fantasy are some of those exceptions (though again there have been a lot of negatives to offset these like the loss of Spectromagic).

Wow that's about all I can say about some of this lol it really makes me question what WOULD make some of you happy
There's plenty that would make me happy. More attractions on the level of quality of the following would work- Imagination 1.0, Horizons, Spaceship Earth (94 version or prior), World of Motion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion etc. Or rides similar to those from Disneysea. And the reopening of even non ride attractions such as Diamond Horseshoe, upstairs Imageworks or Wonders of Life. Cars Land has a lot of quality with Radiator Springs Racers, Hong Kong just received the really cool Mystic Manor along with the also neat Grizzly Gulch.

If allowed, WDW could be getting some of the quality of rides the other parks are. Not clones, but new attractions. There's even a lot of excitement for Ratatouille in Paris. As of yet though that quality has been almost entirely absent and we've gotten stuck with mediocre or bad rides like Toy Story Mania or Mermaid.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
I feel like a new psychological syndrome should be added to the DSM-5.

Pixie-Dust Disorder (PDD)

Overview:
PDD is caused by an over-exposure to Walt Disney World in which the patient's cognitive outlook is skewed to reject any anti-Disney press and downplay any competitive advantages.

Symptoms:
-Over-inflated opinion of the WDW parks
-Deflated opinion of the competition's parks
-Defensive to any "anti-Disney" jargon
-Tendency to elicit emotionally charged retorts of Disney "naysayers"
-Provide little support to their claims
-Prone to meltdowns

Treatment:
-A trip 5 miles up I-4.
-A big glass of butterbeer and a ticket to Platform 9 3/4. ;):)

Last edited:

WDWDad13

Well then, why don't you share some of the information your inside sources have provided to you and give those people a legitimate reason to have some optimism?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, why do you find any criticism of WDW so abhorrent? I know you like to play the "you're all being negative and critical for the sake of it" card but is it really that hard to believe and accept that they have genuine gripes with WDW that they might want to express on a discussion forum?

I mean, you consistently bash Universal (including the good) so why do you have such an issue with people expressing any type of criticism of WDW?

I don't bash Uni I just don't think it is as good as Disney....by a long shot

I have plenty of criticisms for Disney as well but I don't have blinders on my eyes and become a hater because I fail to see the good

NearTheEars

And again, that is NOT spin. In that topic I took exact non-reworded excerpts of POSITIVE reviews on Avatar from RT's top critics section. Throughout the vast majority, even the ones that enjoyed the movie admitted directly that the story and characters weren't good and it was the visuals and tech that was winning the praise.

The magic bands being a huge disaster are not MY opinion, I have yet to try them out. Myself and every single guest could love the things for all it would matter (which they absolutely don't but that's beside the point) and they'd still be considered a huge failure to the executives who came up with them. They have gone massively over budget (with still not end in sight) and they aren't providing the return of investment Iger, Rasulo and his gang promised when they sold it to stockholders. That is no opinion, that is fact. I can come up with a lot of objective reasons for holding the opinion that booking rides weeks or months in advance is a stupid thing, but it doesn't matter whether I like it or not when internally the magic bands are an objective mistake for the executives who created them (with more budgets for maintenance and projects being slashed).

You say MM+ has a been a failure financially and that it's a fact. But I thought Iger and the gang have been very tight lipped about it and have not released any financial information on the project. Not even the budget, which here on forum posts has gone from $1B to $2B to $2.5B in what seems like just a matter of months.

All of this could be true, but the last few pages keep stressing the importance of factual statements, and right now, we don't have any figures.

WDWDad13

I feel like a new psychological syndrome should be added to the DSM-5.

Pixie-Dust Disorder (PDD)

Overview:
PDD is caused an over-exposure to Walt Disney World in which the patient's cognitive outlook is skewed to reject any anti-Disney press and downplay any competitive advantages.

Symptoms:
-Over-inflated opinion of the WDW parks
-Deflated opinion of the competition's parks
-Defensive to any "anti-Disney" jargon
-Tendency to elicit emotionally charged retorts of Disney "naysayers"
-Provide little support to their claims
-Prone to meltdowns

Treatment:
-A trip 5 miles up I-4.
-A big glass of butterbeer and a ticket to Platform 9 3/4. ;):)

Wow did you ever just prove my point with some of you - case closed

Goodnight

WDWDad13

"Bursting at the seems?" Are you f'ing kidding me? You are no longer worth my time. Wake the eff up dude!

Ever been to the marketplace in the evenings or at night? People aren't complaining about parking right now because it's empty (on second thought it may just be because they like to complain about all things Disney so it's hard to know for sure)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You say MM+ has a been a failure financially and that it's a fact. But I thought Iger and the gang have been very tight lipped about it and have not released any financial information on the project. Not even the budget, which here on forum posts has gone from $1B to $2B to $2.5B in what seems like just a matter of months.

All of this could be true, but the last few pages keep stressing the importance of factual statements, and right now, we don't have any figures.

I believe @WDW1974 and a few others actually do have access to the figures in some fashion so the numbers bandied about are more than speculation.

Californian Elitist

If I might add a thought here, I wondered about DCA myself. As for Africa, Asia, etc., in DAK and all the countries in World Showcase, well, they aren't just outside the gate when you leave are they. Many are places that most people will never have the opportunity to ever see up close and personal. California, on the other hand is just outside the entrance to the park. If you live there or if you have traveled halfway around the world to get there, it is still just outside the gate. Those other places are not.
To take it a step further into wonderment, the park itself is in California! Shouldn't the park have a mini DCA within DCA to completely show the full California?

The attractions in DCA aren't California destinations. It's not like you can leave the park, drive around and find the real Silly Symphony Swings, the real Mickey Wheel and whatever else. These attractions are just inspired by California. I could see if there was a replica of the Chinese Theatre in the park, or the Hollywood Hills or Capital Records or whatever else. The attractions in DCA aren't famous California landmarks. They just invoke California.

FrankLapidus

I don't bash Uni I just don't think it is as good as Disney....by a long shot

I have plenty of criticisms for Disney as well but I don't have blinders on my eyes and become a hater because I fail to see the good

You do bash Universal, you have done so more than once. That's not the issue though, its your prerogative if you want to bash Universal and you're perfectly entitled to do so but then why do you have such an issue when someone expresses any sort of criticism of WDW? And why do you find it so hard to accept that such criticisms lack validity and resort to accusing people of being critical for the sake of it?

You've done that again here, you say people are "haters" because they can't see the good in WDW. If anyone here were legitimately a "hater" then why on earth would they be wasting time posting on a WDW-dedicated forum? You can't bear any sort of criticism of WDW and so you throw out labels like "haters" and imply people have agendas and are simply refusing to see anything positive in WDW which isn't the case.

The standards and quality that each member of this forum expects of WDW were created by their own individual experience of the resort. All each member here can do is hold WDW to the standards that it has set itself, that is what it will be judged on and if it falls short in any way then we are perfectly entitled to express our opinions on that. As hard as it might be for you to accept, some people criticise because they care.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom