The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Cesar R M

Yep, JHM is still live and active... Doesn't mean it is relevant though... :)
Just like Yahoo then? or even worse? Reminds me of these sites exclusively designed to see mirrors of ancient site pages like Geocities.
a Blast from the Past! and not of the good ones. ;)

If i have to compare them

Eisner - Good for Theme Parks
Iger - Good for Film/TV
Imho... It would be

Eisner: Good for Park, TV
Iger: Good for Film/WallStreet

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yuck it up and question me all you want... :) I don't care...believe what you want to believe but Disney is certainly not just sitting on their hands for future development ideas - enjoy

Ideas have never been a problem, turning them into reality is the issue.

I still can't understand why people who are Disney park fans are just all about rides

Besides rides WDW has shows, M&Gs, parades, stores, and fireworks. Eliminate any one of these and it probably wouldn't have a huge impact on attendance. Eliminate rides and it probably would have a massive effect on attendance. It's not all about the rides, but they are the key element that theme parks are built around.

Californian Elitist

For what they were going for with Dinorama it is themed really well including the fake road portion. I feel that the park is disjointed to the point of distraction, "best looking park" must have a cohesive design feel. But it always seemed strange to me as a Brit why would I want to visit Disney version of California when I could go out and see California including the getting up and close with a real Bear in Sequoia National Park ...

By your logic, we could ask why one would visit DAK when they could go out into real animal/wildlife habitats, right?

Captain Neo

Imho... It would be

Eisner: Good for Park, TV
Iger: Good for Film/WallStreet

why do you put eisner good for the parks? He's the one who ruined them in the first place. Cutting maintenance budgets, closing rides without replacements, replacing old favorites like tiki room, alien encounter and Journey into imagination with Tiki Room Under NEW management, stitch great escape, and journey into YOUR imagination all happened under Eisner's watch. Iger is merely continuing the park operations the same way he was shown by Eisner.

It's also not like Iger is ignoring the parks either. DCA got a major refurbishment and Cars Land, WDW got an upgraded fantasyland and will be getting a high quality Avatar land, Star Tours got a huge overhaul, HKDL received a major expansion, and Shanghai will not be built on the cheap like HKDL was. I'll take quality over quantity any day of the week wouldn't you?

Also Keep in mind the economic collapse in '08/'09 slowed things down considerably as well.

SirLink

By your logic, we could ask why one would visit DAK when they could go out into real animal/wildlife habitats, right?

Its a Zoo so depends on your position on that first ... but I feel visiting animals in a park kinda different than trying to rebuild a States landmarks in a Disney style in the same State your park is located is just weird for me. But you don't need to get defensive over that.

I didn't say DCA was bad though so less defensive.

Californian Elitist

Its a Zoo so depends on your position on that first ... but I feel visiting animals in a park kinda different than trying to rebuild a States landmarks in a Disney style in the same State your park is located is just weird for me. But you don't need to get defensive over that.

I didn't say DCA was bad though so less defensive.

I'm not defensive, just asking a question. What about EPCOT? Those are real countries that one can visit. How do you feel about that park?

FrankLapidus

Well, It will also depend if Harry will appear or not.. the appeal of the chars put a lot on the franchise. Just like how Harrison Ford's Han Solo is LEGENDARY and the "new" Anakin was utter crap.

Personally I don't believe that's necessarily true. A lot will depend on how Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them fares but an EU is an opportunity for Rowling to introduce new characters and revisit some of those who were in the background in the original series. I wouldn't be surprised to see Harry, Ron and Hermione reappear somewhere down the line, perhaps Rowling will decide to focus on Harry's career as an auror, but then she could also look to further flesh out a character like Dumbledore or tell a developed story of the Hogwarts founders or the first Wizarding War. I think she's picked a brilliant character to start the EU with in Newt Scamander and a story focusing on the animal kingdom of the magical kingdom offers a really wide range of storytelling opportunities.

I wouldn't be surprised if Warner Brothers have looked at Disney's strategy for Star Wars and decided they'd like to go down a similar route with Potter; a trilogy to anchor the future direction of the franchise and then spin-off stand-alones to expand it. Either way its a franchise that is only going to get bigger and, hopefully, better. There are a wealth of possibilities there in terms of future stories and character development and I think Rowling cares too much about her IP to compromise the quality of the original series so if you're a fan of Potter I think there are plenty of reasons to be excited for the potential of the franchise going forward.

spacemt354

Chili's
I still can't understand why people who are Disney park fans are just all about rides

This is coming from the member who has a Disney ride in his avatar..

Disney is not all about rides. Not by a long shot. I'm not sure why you keep harping on this notion. Nevertheless, the rides are a very integral (if not the most important) part of WDW. That is why people are so interested about them.

SirLink

I'm not defensive, just asking a question. What about EPCOT? Those are real countries that one can visit. How do you feel about that park?

I feel Future World is a joke of its former self and World Showcase could me so much more than a glorified food court. If DCA was featured in any other part of the world I would understand why it was built. It would be like Disney building Disney's Parisian Adventure in DLPR...

TalkingHead

There's very few air conditioned places, only a few shops and eateries. In the summer, with the brutal heat and trees everywhere, the humidity seems to be much worse.

The theming, while it is accurate, is far from the idealistic versions you see in the other parks. They're very run down, dilapidated and poor looking. While they are definitely accurate to the source "material" in this sense, it never gives me the positive vibes of the other Disney parks.

I agree with these two points in particular. DAK is the worst of the worst during summer. And the Africa section of the park is downright exploitative if you think about how the "theme" of African poverty is used for the leisure of a bunch of affluent tourists.

TalkingHead

The fundamental difference is that DAK doesn't present Florida's nature and wildlife. Same thing with Epcot's countries -- they're distant from the site of the park.

A more accurate DCA comparison would be a WDW park that had recreations of Launch Complex 39 at Kennedy Space Center, the Art Deco district of Sobe, and the Ponce de Leon Hotel in St. Augustine.

Cesar R M

why do you put eisner good for the parks? He's the one who ruined them in the first place. Cutting maintenance budgets, closing rides without replacements, replacing old favorites like tiki room, alien encounter and Journey into imagination with Tiki Room Under NEW management, stitch great escape, and journey into YOUR imagination all happened under Eisner's watch. Iger is merely continuing the park operations the same way he was shown by Eisner.
If Eisner was so bad at parks and made huge cutting maintenance budgets?
why your glorious leader Iger didn't remove these cuts?
also hang on, Alien encounter was "favorite" ?
I keep reading everywhere that it was as bad as Stitch's (the one it replaced).

And that is almost shifting the blame to Eisner, Iger had the money and the power to fix the issues Eisner might have left imho. Did he do anything? It seems nope.

Also, this as been discussed many times about who gave more to the parks.
Let's not be blind.

Both sides had their pros and cons, but you're acting like Iger was the second coming of Christ or Walt v2.. let's not get to that level.

MerlinTheGoat

Good theming is an important side dish to the main entree of an excellent meal. But the main entree is the centerpiece and most important part of such a meal and the dish is SORELY lacking without it. Rides are those main entrees in a Disney park, what surrounds it are the side dishes, an important part to the whole but nowhere near AS important as the centerpiece entree (the ride). I see no circumstance in which that argument is unfair. The whole picture matters, but having a quality ride is the thing Disney parks would miss the most (and have missed the most in the case of parks like EPCOT) if elements ended up being cut out of a park. With Disney I expect BOTH excellent world class rides and excellent world class theming. I would miss rides much more than the theming, but I still expect both because those are the standards they set and the ones I hold them to as a rational guest who expects the best for what i'm paying for.

RSoxNo1

For what they were going for with Dinorama it is themed really well including the fake road portion. I feel that DCA is disjointed to the point of distraction, "best looking park" must have a cohesive design feel. But it always seemed strange to me as a Brit why would I want to visit Disney version of California when I could go out and see California including the getting up and close with a real Bear in Sequoia National Park ...
For me, the biggest objection to Dinorama is Primeval Whirl. I think thematically that could work if the Coaster was eliminated or enclosed.

Californian Elitist

I feel Future World is a joke of its former self and World Showcase could me so much more than a glorified food court. If DCA was featured in any other part of the world I would understand why it was built. It would be like Disney building Disney's Parisian Adventure in DLPR...

Thanks for answering my questions and not getting annoyed haha.

WDWDad13

Good grief people...I didn't say Disney doesn't need rides or rides aren't important :rolleyes: but if you "adults" can't enjoy Disney without doing a single ride...well....maybe you're are doing it wrong and need to open your eyes a little more :geek:

Californian Elitist

Good grief people...I didn't say Disney doesn't need rides or rides aren't important :rolleyes: but if you "adults" can't enjoy Disney without doing a single ride...well....maybe you're are doing it wrong and need to open your eyes a little more :geek:

People like rides. People go to Disney expecting to ride rides. Walt Disney thought about a clean theme park while watching his children ride the carousel at Griffith Park. If you watch early videos of Walt Disney and Disneyland, there's a lot of talk about upcoming rides, like Pirates, Mansion and small world.

How is expecting to ride an attraction at a Disney theme park, and being unhappy without riding one, equate to "doing it wrong"?

spacemt354

Chili's
Good grief people...I didn't say Disney doesn't need rides or rides aren't important :rolleyes: but if you "adults" can't enjoy Disney without doing a single ride...well....maybe you're are doing it wrong and need to open your eyes :geek:

Are you just being difficult? Please re-read what everyone has said. Nobody claimed you said Disney doesn't need rides nor that they aren't important.

If you can do Disney without a single ride...well...kudos to you. So I can open my eyes and become an adult, what do you do with your Disney time instead of rides? Maybe I am doing it wrong.

Edit: It's a serious question...I actually would like to know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom