The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Bob will only be hailed a hero by the short sellers on Wall Street, the execs that he promoted and fans who simply do not understand things.

And to people who love Disney animation.

The last two animated movies under Eisner, Home on the range and Chicken Little are two of Disney's worst, and do not come anywhere close to Frozen, Wreck it Ralph, Tangled or Princess and the Frog.

Eisner overall was terrific for the company, but he left animation broken. Iger deserves serious credit for buying Pixar and allowing Lasseter and Catmull revive animation.

twebber55

But see, if you want to be optimistic, that's one thing. You're not claiming you have sources who have relayed information to you in order to derive your optimism. But when you post your opinions, especially ones that could drum up controversy, just be ready to back them up with supporting arguments.

People who get "killed" for a bit of optimism are two kinds of members. And they bring it on themselves.

The first kind is a member like DisneyConstruction23, who claim to have faux inside info and then boast about their optimism. These members end up being caught in their lies and misinformation, then proceed to typically..meltdown.

The second kind is someone who will state opinion like it is fact. There's nothing wrong with optimism. But be prepared to back up your opinion. These members don't like it when people question their opinions. When people question them, they refuse to give evidence to support their opinions, which leads to the proverbial "killing" as you refer to it as.

Evidence is the best way to show that your opinion doesn't stem from a fanboy-dust machine, and that you've actually given thought to said opinions. These members never get "killed"
but there are people on both sides of this....people give all kinds of opinions without any evidence
like, "Avatar was bad nobody liked it or the magic bands are unpopular nobody likes them" that what this board is mainly about people giving opinions with very few of us with actual facts

CDavid

I'm not giving my sources and I'm not saying anything specific unlike most on here do that turn out to be wrong. I know how these things work...things change up to the minute they dig dirt so we'll all just have to wait and see but I'm very optimistic as I am as well about the final result of Disney Springs. We just have to be patient (and I know it's hard haha)

Nobody is suggesting you specifically name names, but it is a fair question to ask if you actually have a source for what you are saying or if it is rather just hopeful (or even delusional) optimism. You are perfectly free to express your opinion that Avatar will be the greatest thing ever; What is not proper is to hint that you might know inside information when you actually don't.

All you would have to have said is that you have a source (if you did), but that it cannot be revealed. Otherwise its just your opinion, and no more valid than anyone else.

Everything all about "rides" to most of you all isn't it? :)

Well, yes, when most people think of a theme park what they are expecting are rides and attractions. If it isn't rides, what do you consider most important in such a park?

Here is my thing. I am optimistic that Disney can knock people's socks off with Pandora, and then continue that with some type of Star Wars land. Why am I optimistic, you ask? Because there is so much substance with both, not to mention the enormous number of Star Wars fans as well as new Avatar movies coming out

And that is all perfectly legitimate. It's a valid opinion, even if many (most) of us have very good reasons to disagree. The difference is you are not suggesting that the basis for your opinion is that you might, possibly, maybe know something the rest of us don't.

There is indeed a great deal of substance, to Star Wars at least, and that's why it is so important they do the franchise justice (with the concern that Disney's recent track record does not exactly inspire confidence). The one part which defies explanation, actually, is that Disney apparently intends to wait so long to do anything with Star Wars, and why on earth they would still give Avatar priority.

Captain Chaos

Maybe it had to you, but to a majority of others it hasn't.

If popularity peaked with the release of book 6, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince...

Can you explain why in 2007, the release of book 7, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, broke the record for the fastest selling book of all time? 15 million copies in 24 hours. This record is still held to this day.

If the popularity had peaked by book 6, can you explain why in 2010, the opening of Wizarding World of Harry Potter produced these crowds?
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2010/06/54408252.jpg

If the popularity had peaked by book 6, can you explain why the theatrical release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 grossed over $1.3 Billion (with a B) making it the 4th highest grossing film of all time and the highest grossing film in the whole Harry Potter franchise?

If the popularity had peaked by book 6, why are Harry Potters film still being shown on TV? Disney own TV stations no doubt.

All of these questions can be summed up with the same answer. Harry Potter is popular among a wide variety of age-groups. You may not personally like it, but that doesn't mean just because you don't like it or don't want Uni to succeed with it, that it isn't still popular.

There is one simple answer for this: Wizarding World is not in any Disney theme park... Put Wizarding World (as it currently stands) in WDW or Disneyland, the Pixie Dust Brigade would be foaming at the mouth and singing its high praises... But since it is in Universal, it sucks, it is a fad, it isn't magical, it's (enter any duster nonsense here).... It's that simple...

Captain Chaos

I'm not giving my sources and I'm not saying anything specific unlike most on here do that turn out to be wrong. I know how these things work...things change up to the minute they dig dirt so we'll all just have to wait and see but I'm very optimistic as I am as well about the final result of Disney Springs. We just have to be patient (and I know it's hard haha)
You aren't given sources cause you don't have any... Or is Disney now in the business of feeding B.S. to supposed travel agents?

spacemt354

Chili's
but there are people on both sides of this....people give all kinds of opinions without any evidence
like, "Avatar was bad nobody liked it or the magic bands are unpopular nobody likes them" that what this board is mainly about people giving opinions with very few of us with actual facts

Of course there are people on both sides. But most give evidence as to why they feel they way they do. If you agree or disagree on MM+ for example. You don't need an nbc news poll result on the subject to be considered "evidence."

You could say "I like (or dislike) MM+ because it does a,b,c.." It could be anything from personal experience, or from research, or from other's accounts. Something should be provided for support though. There's nothing wrong with this. However..

Just saying "MM+ is great" with nothing else to support it doesn't provide anything to catalyze the debate nor to the thread. And again, if you like it, that's fine. But if someone provides counter-evidence, don't take their input so personally. People get really defensive about their opinions.

MerlinTheGoat

I recall a rather lengthy and unpleasant topic with a (now apparently banned) poster called Siren regarding the general consensus regarding Avatar. The point many share on this forum is that the movie is technically great and looks pretty but an either mediocre or bad movie underneath. And despite the movie's praise, even many positive mainstream reviews have shared the same exact opinion. I went to the movie's Rotten Tomatoes page and looked through ONLY the positive reviews within the top critics category (mainstream media reviews). Again these were only the POSITIVE (or in RT's case "fresh") reviews, I didn't even include the negative "rotten" ones (which there were a few of but to be fair not many). Within even that self imposed limitations, the vast consensus on the movie was still that despite the movies great visuals and technical achievements, its plot and characters are either mediocre or outright terrible. The underlying movie is actually accepted by a HUGE number of people to not be very good when you look beyond the pretty pictures. Which to some people is enough to make a movie worthwhile, but many of us want something besides just style (in other words substance). Pretty much entirely in line with what people here have said about it. I've said myself that Avatar has potential to be a good theme park experience given the proper circumstances (it lends itself well to a visual experience and I think it CAN be done right given the proper budget and creatives involved), but I completely understand why people wouldn't want it regardless of my own open-mindedness about it. And for the hundredth time, there are a lot of obstacles happening at Disney that could put a huge damper on the project...

The magic bands, regardless of how guests feel about them, are a huge disaster for the Disney executives who were responsible for their creation (Iger, Staggs Rasulo and their gang). It is a 2.5 billion dollar and still ever rising money pit that has far exceeded its original 800 million budget. And it's also quite clear from financial interviews with Iger where he's consistently disregarded questions about when it's going to see a profit, he's been caught with his pants down because he promised huge returns from the project that just aren't happening. Park goers being either positive OR negative about this project, it has cost FAR too much and is a huge mess for executives that has and will continue to negatively impact maintenance and project budgets. It's also money wasted on non-attractions that could have built even an entirely new theme park (a really great park if imagineering budgets weren't so out of control).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Note to self: Don't show any signs of optimism or hope on this thread or you may get ripped a new one. ;)

I am a generally optimistic person and specifically optimistic about some of the new projects at WDW. I've said so numerous times and I've never been ripped a new one. I actually liked LM and think FLE is a nice addition. Avatar has a lot of potential and I'm excited to see what they can do with a big budget and corporate backing (love it or hate it, Iger is behind it which means it has a better shot than most projects to avoid major budget cuts). The difference though is I'm not saying I have inside information. I have no way of knowing if @WDWDad13 really has some connection to the company or is just toying with the masses here. I hope he is right. A lot of people here actually do. There are a vocal few who are rooting for failure, but they are in the minority. The rest are just disenfranchised and don't want to get their hopes up only to be let down.

To your point I don't really feel the need to react as strongly as some others here do. If I don't agree with someone or think they are just blowing smoke I will skip their posts, but it's a free message board so as long as things don't get too personal or nasty it's everyone's prerogative to act how they want.

MerlinTheGoat

There is one simple answer for this: Wizarding World is not in any Disney theme park... Put Wizarding World (as it currently stands) in WDW or Disneyland, the Pixie Dust Brigade would be foaming at the mouth and singing its high praises... But since it is in Universal, it sucks, it is a fad, it isn't magical, it's (enter any duster nonsense here).... It's that simple...
I'll second this comment and raise you one more. Had Disney gotten the Harry Potter rights and built nothing more than a bathroom around the franchise (nothing else, no rides/restaurants/shops, just Harry Potties), some of those same people that attack Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley would still praise Disney for the toilets.

Captain Chaos

Have we really gotten to such a low point where trolls have become so desperate to shove their heads up corporate bums that we're seeing them actually mock anyone for expecting good rides out of Disney? Really now. Animal Kingdom NEEDS quality and substantial rides. It has lacked this ever since it opened and even so many years later there hasn't been nearly enough effort to address this problem. It already has gorgeous covered but that isn't nearly enough for a Disney park. It needs both to look fantastic AND have quality rides of substance, anything less than that is unacceptable for the standards one expects from Disney. It didn't used to be too much to expect both elements in Disney's park projects (with amazing AND beautiful rides like Splash Mountain), and Universal doesn't seem to have any problem with pulling off both either...
I say close every ride down in WDW... since, you know, people don't go for the rides...

crispy

I am going to be using magic bands and FP+ for the first time in April. I was an avid FP user so am not a fan of being limited to 3. But we will see if I like it.

I liked the LM attraction but from what I have seen and heard, it could have been a lot better. So, disappointed here.

Double dumbo needed to happen because the queue was always so long. The interactive queue is pretty cool and I think was a good idea.

7DMT was always scheduled to be open in the spring of 2014 as far back as I can remember, so I am not sure what all the fuss is about with it taking too long. It is opening according to their scheduled time frame. I didn't think it would happen any sooner based on what was released.

Be our guest restaurant is awesome. But, yes, it is only a restaurant.

I would of preferred their first focus was on Star Wars rather than Pandora, but unfortunately that is not happening. It would be very nice if we could get some type of Star Wars announcement by the end of the year, instead of Iger just saying that "you will see more Star Wars in the parks".

I experienced MagicBands in October. I didn't hate them, but I saw some things that were very troubling like how long it took to actually get in the parks and how long the FP+ queues were. They aren't the worst things ever, but they didn't really add any value to my vacation. It just doesn't seem like money well spent which I think is part of the frustration.

I like the NFL in many ways. It's lovely, but there really isn't a lot of substance as far as attractions go. Enchanted Tales with Belle is by far my favorite thing they have added because I think it captures the magic and wonder of a great Disney attraction. I think it does a wonderful job of immersing you into the atmosphere. The Little Mermaid Attraction is cute, but it's not a "must-do." I don't have the most critical eye and don't notice a lot, but instead of being transported into a different time and place, I knew I was in a big warehouse the whole time. It just misses the mark.

While I agree that Dumbo was needed, I disagree about the play area. It's cute, but I have never actually seen anyone in there playing when we have visited. I think they miscalculated how popular a play area would be although I'm sure it's used during rainy days. The point with the 7DMT is the fact that it "shouldn't" take that long to build a coaster whether it was announced or not although the date has been pushed back a few times so I don't think people are being unreasonable in pointing that out. Other parks can build a lot more a lot quicker so it's frustrating that Disney can't or won't.

I think many of us are frustrated because we know Disney can do better than this. Enchanted Tales with Belle is a glimpse of the greatness. We just want them to live up to their potential and it's disappointing when they don't.

Last edited:

twebber55

I recall a rather lengthy and unpleasant topic with a (now apparently banned) poster called Siren regarding the general consensus regarding Avatar. The point many share on this forum is that the movie is technically great and looks pretty but an either mediocre or bad movie underneath. And despite the movie's praise, even many positive mainstream reviews have shared the same exact opinion. I went to the movie's Rotten Tomatoes page and looked through ONLY the positive reviews within the top critics category (mainstream media reviews). Again these were only the POSITIVE (or in RT's case "fresh") reviews, I didn't even include the negative "rotten" ones (which there were a few of but to be fair not many). Within even that self imposed limitations, the vast consensus on the movie was still that despite the movies great visuals and technical achievements, its plot and characters are either mediocre or outright terrible. The underlying movie is actually accepted by a HUGE number of people to not be very good when you look beyond the pretty pictures. Which to some people is enough to make a movie worthwhile, but many of us want something besides just style (in other words substance). Pretty much entirely in line with what people here have said about it. I've said myself that Avatar has potential to be a good theme park experience given the proper circumstances (it lends itself well to a visual experience and I think it CAN be done right given the proper budget and creatives involved), but I completely understand why people wouldn't want it regardless of my own open-mindedness about it. And for the hundredth time, there are a lot of obstacles happening at Disney that could put a huge damper on the project...

The magic bands, regardless of how guests feel about them, are a huge disaster for the Disney executives who were responsible for their creation (Iger, Staggs Rasulo and their gang). It is a 2.5 billion dollar and still ever rising money pit that has far exceeded its original 800 million budget. And it's also quite clear from financial interviews with Iger where he's consistently disregarded questions about when it's going to see a profit, he's been caught with his pants down because he promised huge returns from the project that just aren't happening. Park goers being either positive OR negative about this project, it has cost FAR too much and is a huge mess for executives that has and will continue to negatively impact maintenance and project budgets. It's also money wasted on non-attractions that could have built even an entirely new theme park (a really great park if imagineering budgets weren't so out of control).

which again for the most part is your perspective on avatar..obviously it was popular for many reasons but people will spin it to fit their ideas and opinions, which is fine that's what this board is for

in terms of the magic bands in your opinion are a huge disaster..ill admit im not thrilled about them but I haven't tried them out yet either (I will in June)
but both paragraphs are primarily how you feel

twebber55

Of course there are people on both sides. But most give evidence as to why they feel they way they do. If you agree or disagree on MM+ for example. You don't need an nbc news poll result on the subject to be considered "evidence."

You could say "I like (or dislike) MM+ because it does a,b,c.." It could be anything from personal experience, or from research, or from other's accounts. Something should be provided for support though. There's nothing wrong with this. However..

Just saying "MM+ is great" with nothing else to support it doesn't provide anything to catalyze the debate nor to the thread. And again, if you like it, that's fine. But if someone provides counter-evidence, don't take their input so personally. People get really defensive about their opinions.
but that's ok if someone likes MM+ who cares if I like it or not or like Pandora or not..

nor'easter

Yeah, well I heard Avatar is gonna suck. I'm not giving my sources either, these things change up to the minute, and I'm not saying anything specific, because, well, you know how these things work, you just have to wait and see, ha ha.

MerlinTheGoat

which again for the most part is your perspective on avatar..obviously it was popular for many reasons but people will spin it to fit their ideas and opinions, which is fine that's what this board is for

in terms of the magic bands in your opinion are a huge disaster..ill admit im not thrilled about them but I haven't tried them out yet either (I will in June)
but both paragraphs are primarily how you feel
And again, that is NOT spin. In that topic I took exact non-reworded excerpts of POSITIVE reviews on Avatar from RT's top critics section. Throughout the vast majority, even the ones that enjoyed the movie admitted directly that the story and characters weren't good and it was the visuals and tech that was winning the praise.

The magic bands being a huge disaster are not MY opinion, I have yet to try them out. Myself and every single guest could love the things for all it would matter (which they absolutely don't but that's beside the point) and they'd still be considered a huge failure to the executives who came up with them. They have gone massively over budget (with still not end in sight) and they aren't providing the return of investment Iger, Rasulo and his gang promised when they sold it to stockholders. That is no opinion, that is fact. I can come up with a lot of objective reasons for holding the opinion that booking rides weeks or months in advance is a stupid thing, but it doesn't matter whether I like it or not when internally the magic bands are an objective mistake for the executives who created them (with more budgets for maintenance and projects being slashed).

Funmeister

I'm not backtracking but I'm not front tracking anymore either. Just wait good things are coming - in the meantime you all can just complain :)

YOU ARE CORRECT! You are not backtracking on anything because you didn't provide ANY details on ANYTHING! LOL

Reminds me of that joke I once heard...what does WDWDad13 have in common with the Norway pavilion at Epcot? Trolls.

I love how some others are supporting what you said based on absolutely NOTHING! Don't say you know details and try to tease readers with info but say in order to protect your ....ahem...."sources." Bad form.

spacemt354

Chili's
but that's ok if someone likes MM+ who cares if I like it or not or like Pandora or not..

I don't care whether you like it or not. In a forum, I'm more curious as to "why" to like it or not.

If you like it, what brought you to that opinion? If not, why so? This is a forum and it's tough to continue the conversation if no support to opinions is provided.

The reason I emphasize "why" you like it or not is because I've learned a lot from this place. What people post on here has, to an extent, helped me facilitate a better understanding of Disney as a whole. And this knowledge has come from reading "why" people feel the way they do. While I will formulate my own opinion, I take both sides of the argument into account. It makes it easier to formulate and opinion when one side get defensive and refuses to give reasons for said opinion.

Captain Chaos

It will be all those things. It better not have princesses.
A WDW addition without princesses??? Surely you jest... of course there will be princesses... Do they know how to do anything else in WDW??? If it isn't centered around princesses, then the decision makers get confused...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom